The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They go by the name Muffletoes.

One of them sounds quite a bit like Quasimoto!
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
A Less Than Jake album (Pezcore) showed up in the box, actually. So far my favorites are Potshot, King Apparatus, and the Blue Meanies. Also MU330's live album fucking rules. The deal was advertised in their newsletter, in which Mike Park asked the fans not to spread the word on message boards or anything like that. I'm thinking he took a decent hit offering this deal. On the other hand, I made out like a bandit.

Sounds like a decent reason to subscribe to their newsletter, then--do they feature deals very often? I've ordered a few Asian Man releases in the past, but I never really got into their full catalog. So what were the discs you got, exactly?

Pezcore is, oddly, the only LTJ album I don't have, but the majority of the songs turn up on later albums, anyways. Great stuff.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grabbed the new Arcade Fire cd today. It's called Neon Bible.

It's got a very, very different feel to it than Funeral did, while maintaining the same level of polyphony.

A couple of the tracks are real stand-outs. I guess I'm thinking about "Keep the Car Running" and "Intervention".

I don't know what to say about it all really. Funeral was one of the albums that compelled me to start this thread in the first place, but my initial reaction is that this new one doesn't grab me in the same way. Where Funeral was ecstatic, Neon Bible is measured. There's a still a tension--uneasy strings, menacing drums, Win Butler's ever-crackling voice, and a ghostlier performance from Regine--behind all the music, but it feels much more controlled. It's not as dangerous an album. Nothing quite approaches the wonder and disappointment of "Tunnels" or the rage of "Power Out".

I think I still like it a whole lot, though. I doubt it's going to be as personally resonant for me as their first was, but it's really interesting music.

P.S. Midway through my second listen-through, I'm digging on "Ocean of Noise"
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon Bible is a really weird album. It thrives off paranoia and uneasiness, and works those emotions in a very subtle manner. It'll grow on you.

"Antichrist Television Blues" is probably the best thing on there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my musical stuff lately has been all a mess.

hawkwind, the slits, and diplo's podcast (maddecentradio.com)

the knife and coil, too (basically i put the snow EP on repeat)

does anyone else think the cure's 'a forest' is very psychedelic?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get into some Psychic TV for some reason. Godstar's been growing on me.

Going to see NIN on Sunday if all goes well.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see Twilight Circus Dub Sound System tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea what it's going to be like. I'll make a mini-report out of it.

I saw NIN in 1994 on the Downward Spiral release tour. It was a pretty good show, although the most memorable moments were:

1. Everybody was supremely antsy because NIN were taking a long time to get on stage and this cordon of young goth girls had sort of formed across the front of the stage. When the curtains started moving, these girls swept forward yelling "Trent! Trent!" while this really confused (and quite large) roadie in a trucker hat stood there holding some cables.

2. They did the same thing when they tested the smoke machine, leading us to joke that Trent would pay tribute to his vampire roots by performing in gaseous form.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Michael Toups asks the most important question of our age
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to get into some Psychic TV for some reason.

ptv is spotty, like gen, alternating between genius and trash. i like dreams less sweet and force thee hand ov chance myself. i have mixed feelings on some of the acid house period stuff - ic water is classic, and there are some good tracks in the vaults there - but as time went on their bid for another top of the pops hit like godstar vibe just kinda wears me down.

trip reset is ok. i really like what he did on download even though i make fun of "HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE THIIIIIIS?" and "ALL BEAUTY IS OUR ENEMY!" from time to time when drinking. he's pretty much dead on about the pain of having to be polite however.

i haven't heard any of the ptv reformed stuff (ptv 3 or whatever) with doug rushkoff et al in the band, even though they played a few blocks away in red hook. the new site hasn't launched yet, apparently gen's fighting with nearly every single label that ever released his stuff - probably wants to put everything out himself, i presume (hence the message on the site at the bottom.) he's a prickly pear by all accounts, i can't really judge since he was rather nice to me (signed my vinyl copy of force thee hand) despite my having heckled him about squirrels and otherwise behaved like an asshole on drugs.

that brings back memories. i used to troll the shadowgov board back in '96 using only bad TOPY speak.

Quote:
I'm going to see Twilight Circus Dub Sound System tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea what it's going to be like. I'll make a mini-report out of it.

well, he's great but the crowd here was really high jewish kids and embarassing white rasta types, also really high. which is fine. that's a good kind of way to be if you're into dub, of course (high, i mean, not being a walking pile of shit)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Rushkoff a novelist? All I know is he's writing the Vertigo maxi-series Testament for DC.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Isn't Rushkoff a novelist? All I know is he's writing the Vertigo maxi-series Testament for DC.
He's was a futurist in the 90s, making the notion of "memes" pop instead of fringe. Lately he's written about how to cultivate a more mellow managerial style and aboutthe nature of innovation in a business environment.

edit: he also teaches at NYU
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an even more interesting sort than Testament let on.

The NIN concert was brilliant, incidentally. They mostly did their older material, which was interesting, as I expected [With_Teeth] era stuff. A lot of good surprises came in the form of Down in it, Heresy, Starfuckers, Inc. and Suck. Low on the visuals, heavy on the brutism. Great first concert experience.

Here's the setlist:

The New Flesh mixed into Pinion
Terrible Lie
You Know What You Are?
Sin
March of the Pigs
The Frail
The Wretched
The Beginning of the End
Heresy
Closer
with a breakdown into The Only Time
Burn
Gave Up
Help Me I Am in Hell
Eraser
The Fragile
Wish
Survivalism
Suck
Down in it
Hurt
The Hand That Feeds
Starfuckers, Inc.
Head Like a Hole

Last edited by Dracko on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number Girl is pretty great!

Will come back later after I've listened to them more.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

well, he's great but the crowd here was really high jewish kids and embarassing white rasta types, also really high. which is fine. that's a good kind of way to be if you're into dub, of course (high, i mean, not being a walking pile of shit)

Actually, it didn't wind up happening because I started to get a cold on Sunday and if there's a more aggravating way to experience a show than when you've got a sore throat, trouble breathing and a headache before you go in, I'm not sure what it is.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

standing next to a 19 year old girl doing acid for the first time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your level of sympathy for others*, you could always just move to another spot in the club. Your snot-filled head has a tendency to follow you very precisely.

* - Which, to be honest, I have enough of that I would probably impart upon myself the false responsibility of making sure this kid is doing alright, where 'alright' means "unlikely to hurt himself (or possibly others)".
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then, guidos on e? and it's really packed so you can't walk away!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Odelay by Beck at work here today and it just serves as a reminder of what he's capable of and how piss-poor the last few albums (guero and the information) have been.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His "Hell Yeah" EP was fairly decent, but in a kind of cynical way.

And, frankly, even if it's bit heavy with Nick Drake worship, I can't help but love Sea Change.

Loop it when depressed, and then be surprised when you wake up the next morning and you haven't killed yourself.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I love Sea Change (and Midnight Vultures) though I would say that Guero and The Information (especially) are trying to be Odelay 2.0 and fail miserably.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill laswell is one of the spottiest dudes ever. some truly, truly classic material and then like, weird, overpolished wank. sometimes on the same album.

i really like painkiller though. also dig the mid 90s ambient dub stuff...sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzyjosh wrote:

I don't know how I feel about that. But it sure is a good song!

I've been listening to their song "Close to Me" every chance I get. The version with the horns. I'm a sucker for horns.

Other than that one song, I have been listening to the Lil Wayne album Tha Carter. It's something else. Half the time the songs are fantastic. "Shooter" is a lot of fun. The other half of the time, Wayne does what T.I. would call getting high and saying whatever the fuck he feels like.

There's this song called "Feel Me" which starts as an interview. A woman asks him: "What's your motivation?" He responds: "Is that even a question? Smell me. I smell like money," before dropping the confusing line "I'm in the game like deep pussy." I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would say anything like that ever.

He makes up for it (kind of) by telling people to call him Deion Sanders because he brought the corner back.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, quick!

bill laswell or jah wobble?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate to say it but laswell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, if Laswell weren't so entrenched in that whole LA world music showboat thing, I could like him more. Listening to Molam Dub vs. the Tabla Beat Science stuff, there's just so much more WANKERY coming from the Laswell side of the equation.

But if you've got seriously great Laswell to recommend, do tell, cause he's certainly talented and all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axiom ambient
axiom dub collection (both are mid 90s ambient dub whatever stuff that i really enjoy)
painkiller
some of the material stuff is good
laswell/namlook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarboe is working on the soundtrack for The Path.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an advanced leak of the new MC Frontalot album and it is more excellent than excellent.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
dizzyjosh wrote:

I don't know how I feel about that. But it sure is a good song!

no, i totally know it's a weird association, but it's one i formed really early on and can't seem to shake. it's something to do with it being moving from 2D to 3D and back, for me.

helicopterp wrote:

lil wayne rules

dude yes for reals. check out the lil weezyana mixtape (you can snag it for free from http://www.youngmoneyent.com/ so it's even legit); in particular the tracks 'david banner' and 'famous'

probably on a boat feeding a bitch grapes
and crepes
by the way that's french pancakes
je parle francais tres bien
mumble mumble mumble mumble something i can't hear because his french sucks

but it's so trill.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to "David Banner" on that mixtape. As soon as it ended I exclaimed, "Jesus fucking shitness." It's so fucking good.

I am downloading this right now.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bootleg of Heaven & Hell live!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I had an epiphany earlier tonight while being completely floored by oreskaband and asakusa jinta tonight (more on them later).

I need to listen to some ska.

I need recomendations! I already am going to check out The Specials since oreskaband did a cover of one of their songs which I liked, but tell me who to listen to. Who is important and who will change my view on things?
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skatalites, Jackie Mittoo, Roland Alphonso, Maytals.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alice, didn't know you were at that show too. We missed Asakusa Jinta because we were trying to find parking for roughly 30 minutes though.

I'll be honest, I didn't really like Oreskaband. I mean, they were enthusiastic and such, I just don't like much of Third Wave ska, mainly because it starts to sound too similar.

Anyway! Recommendations:

First Wave (mid-60s, Jamaica)
The Skatalites
Desmond Dekker
Lee Perry (yes, that Lee Perry)
Toots and the Maytals

Second Wave (~1980, mostly in England)
The Specials
The Selecter
English Beat
Madness

Third Wave (mostly 90s, all over the place)
Skanking Pickle
Blue Meanies

In terms of stuff that sounds like Oreskaband, try most anything that was put out by Moon Records in the 90s -- I think The Toasters were their big group. There's also the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Voodoo Glow Skull, who had a bit more of the "punk" distorted guitar sound to them.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Hey Alice, didn't know you were at that show too. We missed Asakusa Jinta because we were trying to find parking for roughly 30 minutes though.

Man, if you are into Ska but didn't like oreskaband, you would've loved Asakusa Jinta. They were fucking amazing live. I got there right as the doors opened but had to wait in line outside. I got a spot right up in the front right corner of the stage, where the 50 Kaitenz guitarist kept thrusting his crotch in my face -_-

That said, I only know a bit about ska and have heard things here and there, but I tend to like pretty much anything until it offends me. I've heard some Mighty Mighty Bosstones before and I did like that.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: you can find a track from every one of Scratchmonkey's first wave recommendations (minus Lee Perry) and mine on a compilation called Studio One Ska (Soul Jazz Records) which is a fantastic place to start. Especially since you seem to have come into the genre at the shallow end of the pool with the new stuff.
david

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened with the 19-year-old, dhex.

Tell us.

Also, 36 Chambers of death, 360 degrees of perfected style.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she was the annoying twin of the retarded drunk guy at the last akron/family show i went to.

"play sparks!" sparks!" after the band specifically said they wouldn't play sparks. at least she shut up eventually. drunk guy had to be threatened.

i had thought she was tripping because she was staring into an empty water bottle like someone would peer through a spyglass; it was later confirmed by the friends who came to pull her away from the edge of jackassery.

the worst thing about low doses of acid is that it makes you think your shoelace colors are significant.

it's a lot like being in grad school.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why low doses amount to fence-sitting.

Then again, I've ever done acid once, in a particularly safe and private environment, and I'm not sure I'd like to try it again any time soon. Not an unpleasant experience, but still.

Ecstasy is pretty piss, though.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
So what were the discs you got, exactly?

List / mini-reviews here.

Mind that I have terrible taste in music.

It's spring again, and that means running weather, and that means running music. Discovery: Lightning Bolt is excellent jogging music, but Pink & Brown is, oddly, not.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the Secret Chiefs 3/Sleepytime Gorilla Museum show. I had no idea that the latter were from Oakland. It was a pretty damn good show that started out with a guy coming into the bathroom right as I was leaving and in the confusion of trying to get out of each other's way, he high-fived me and screamed "Fucking metal!!!" In other crowd-related news, a guy flat passed out about 4 feet away from me in the middle of the Secret Chiefs set and had to be carried out by his friends.

Then Secret Chiefs were great, including an amazing cover of John Carpenter's Theme from Halloween as well as pulling off the first time that I've seen an opener leave the stage and then come back for an encore (the video show was nice too). Going along with that, Sleepytime played an "encore" without have to leave the stage and being cajoled back on. Their set was pretty damn good and involved some of the least retarded between-song chatter I'd heard in a while. The show culminated in both bands getting together on stage to perform Funkadelic's "Everybody's Going to Make It This Time".

I'm going to go so Secret Chiefs again on Monday in a small club in Petaluma, which will be the first time that I've seen a band twice in such a short period of time (they'll also be playing with Estradasphere, whom I've seen loads since my stint at UC Santa Cruz lined up with half of the band's, including the guitar player, who was in a series of Electronic Music courses with me and also happened to be the bass player for the Secret Chiefs tonight, small world, etc.). We'll see how it goes.

Shit, after reading Swimmy's thing, Slow Gherkin were actually the local Santa Cruz Third Wave ska band in the same basic period of time. And I saw The Rudiments back in '95 back when they were still punk-ska.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I'm going to go so Secret Chiefs again on Monday in a small club in Petaluma

Or not. Fuck stomach viruses.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually turned out to be food poisoning.

And although I didn't get to go see SC3 again, I just got back from the symphony. Yeah, the symphony, fuckers. They were playing a "tone poem" from some modern Finnish dude, a Mozart piano concerto and Sibelius' First Symphony.

We were late, so we missed the tone poem, which was too bad. There were tubular bells that just sat out there unused for the rest of the program. Mozart was very pretty, which gets boring to me after a couple minutes. Luckily our seats were on the terrace directly behind the orchestra, so we could check out the musicians and their idiosyncracies.

The Sibelius was awesome. I really dig his shit and his early stuff in particular, when he was still boozin' it up and getting in bar fights with Poles, as opposed to his drinking himself slowly to death phase. Lots of cymbals, timpani and smashing crashing tempo changes. Yes, my favorite orchestral composers are Sibelius, Stravinsky and Shostakovich.

As an added bonus, we got to walk past a giant "Electro, Techno and Disco" show at the Bill Graham. I didn't know there were still that many ravers, or that pacifers and painting yourself up like a "scary clown" were still in vogue. The first time past them I screamed "Oh God I'm covered in plurrrrrr!" and the second time we reflected on the fact that we were old and wanted to slap around 15-year-olds while yelling "Put some pants on! Your father would be ashamed of you!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to nothing at all. My computer's died, taking my entire collection with it (I don't even own a CD player anymore), and I discovered thereafter that I have no idea where I left the charger for my DAP. This is all most unfortunate.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why i still buy cds. well that and like, it's nice to buy stuff.

been hitting the peel session of lightning bolt (i think its an ATP recording) and it's uh, insanely good. there's some actual separation so the recording is quite nice.

also blasting this secret chiefs set from earlier this year. shaper told me he didn't like secret chiefs. i now fear for his immortal soul.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know they did a Peel Session. I think I'm going to hunt this down. If it's anything like the Melt Banana Peel Session (which is miles better than any of their recorded material) I expect to be blown away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. Holy shit. Hey, dhex, something just came out that you might be interested in:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
that's why i still buy cds. well that and like, it's nice to buy stuff.

oh no, I do! So many that I lack shelf space to store them all, which is why I digitized everything, boxed the discs and ditched my cd player. So now the only thing I can use is the one in the living room, but for some odd reason my girlfriend doesn't like Hecker or Current 93 or even the Not Breathing album I picked up on your recommendation. Go figure!

Joe, is that Boredoms import material or is Vice doing their thing with it?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dump your girlfriend!

does she like fennesz's endless summer at least?

otherwise it's time to have "the talk."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import, sir. Though, I just downloaded it. I refuse to pay stupid high import CD prices. I'll buy it if Vice picks it up, though! It's really quite lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: