The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I cleared Table Mountain on the DS version and am finally getting to see some of these Bonus Dungeons.

Some random facts I've picked up so far I found interesting.

-While you can bring upto all three buddies with you into the Trap Dungeon...buddies are actually a pain in the ass in this dungeon! There is a clever new rule in effect in these dungeons to the effect of, "You only get full experience for a kill IF they first wandered into some sort of trap." So while you don't have to kill them via the traps, the monsters need to at least wander into one before you or your buddies kill them OTHERWISE you'll only get 1 xp for the kill. While you're buddies benefit from this rule as well (i.e. they'll get you full credit if they kill somebody after they hit a trap), they really don't care about this rule and will kill (or at least attempt to kill) any baddy they see on site. So if you bring in buddies you'll never get much experience!

-Fei's Final Problem WAS NOT just available as soon as I cleared Table Mountain! As best as I can figure I had to at least make a run at both the Food and Trap Dungeons (no need to complete them in any way) before Fei would let me into his Final Problem.

-I've breifly seen at least one of these NEW Bonus Dungeons to the DS, the one you find on level 30 of Table Mountain. The fact that this dungeon STARTS at level 31, its clearly a continuation of the first dungeon. So its only a good thing you're allowed to bring all of your stuff from the Main Story Dungeon and not have your level reset.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this game really needs to get translated into english and come out here. I can't stand to emulate this game anymore (SNES) and there's nothing else on a home console that I can get the experience from.

Damnit, I've still never seen level 20.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you pick up the traps even in Shiren the Wanderer SNES?

I was under the impression the picking up and setting of traps was something NEW in Asuka Shiren (Dreamcast and PC 2002)?

While this is primarily a remake of Shiren the Wanderer SNES, I swear I see influences here and there from Asuka Shiren (but admit I may have just forgotten a lot of what already was there in the SNES version)..
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, this game really needs to get translated into english and come out here. I can't stand to emulate this game anymore (SNES) and there's nothing else on a home console that I can get the experience from.

game doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I guess Torneko: The Last Hope on the PS1 is the closest you'll be able to get in English.

dessgeega:
Does Game Doctor translate or its just a way to play a ROM on a real system?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a way to play a translation-patched rom on a real console.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

And? Did you mean to add more to this comment Mr. Toups?
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope!
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

The biggest key to this, I found is having multiple buddies by your side. I recently was trying to figure out how I could get so much further in the game in my later sessions than my early attempts and while, for a moment, I thought it was skill or the tendency to have better equipment, I had to admit it was more due to having the various buddies with me do MOST of my fighting as they, on average, could take and dish out a lot more damage than I could. Usually by the late teens or mid twenties (dungeon level wise) I've had them all killed off or simply lost them (at least here in the DS they'll follow you to the next level if you fall in a trap) but by then I'm finally tough enough to do some of the fighting on my own.

Oh, and I defeated the big baddy of Table Mountin on my first meeting...but I can't EVEN claim skill in this. When I finally met him there were several other lesser baddies running around, one of which was one of them Red Wizards WHO, in trying to zap me, inadvertently hit the BIG GUY a few times rendering him slowed and "sealed" (couldn't pull off any special attacks). So while it took quite a few hits with my pretty average weapon, I took minimal damage (if any) from the big boss.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

The biggest key to this, I found is having multiple buddies by your side.

Is there anyway to get these buddies? From my experience it seems fairly random.

LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
LordGek wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

The biggest key to this, I found is having multiple buddies by your side.

Is there anyway to get these buddies? From my experience it seems fairly random.

As long as you complete their storyline you should see them occassionally...but then again I think their frequency was greatly upped in this DS version.

Its safe to say that EVERYTHING is easier in the DS version except for maybe Fei's Final Problem and the NEW Bonus Dungeons.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Camus!

In the main Table Mountain dungeon has at least four folk in need of assistance. Give them what they need and they'll reward you:

Crying little girl wants a vision herb and will kiss you giving you a point of strength.

Potter disciple needs a scroll of indentify and, if he gets it, everytime you meet him later in the game he'll ID your pots.

Give the old man your food ration when he pops up and he'll give you a Level up herb.

BUT...there is a guy in a white robe with a black sash that wants SOMETHING from me and I have no idea what he's asking for.

So what is he asking for and what will I get in return? If I recall right once I give him this item he'll be sort of like the potter disciple and offer his services free everytime I see him.

Are there other folk in the main dungeon of the DS version that want me to toss them something?
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

死者の谷底 (Shishano Tanizoko)
-Clear Table Mountain
-Take only Pekeji (Shiren's fat brother) to the town at the top of the hill (after 7th floor of Table Mountain) and see the event.
-Go alone to the valley of two stone statues (after 9th floor) and speak to Butafu-ta.
-Take only Pekeji to the valley of two stone statues and do the bungee jump. (may fail and loose all items)
-Event starts when you wake up at the 1st village.
-Another event starts after you wake up again at the 1st village.
-Will be able to go to the new dungeon from the valley of two stone statues.

Not much items in this dungeon. Lots of LV 4 monsters.

So once this is opened do I enter it from the bungie bridge? Can I now take others with me to it or will it always be just solo or only with Pekeji? This is the only one I have yet to open now and THINK I've met all of the requirements so far, did the bungie jump with the brother, seen the mysterious stranger in the blue robes come to my house and talk to me, but when I last went to the bridge the Bungie Guy was no longer there. I even see a spot in the bridge that is clearly some sort of interactive point but I couldn't enter anything and I'm ASSUMING its because I had the Blinder and the Massuse with me.

(I haven't cleared ANYTHING but Table Mountain...but am having fun at least sampling all of the new dungeons currently). Just like you, Camus, Fei's Final Problem is STILL the best!
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Hey Camus!

BUT...there is a guy in a white robe with a black sash that wants SOMETHING from me and I have no idea what he's asking for.

So what is he asking for and what will I get in return? If I recall right once I give him this item he'll be sort of like the potter disciple and offer his services free everytime I see him.

Are there other folk in the main dungeon of the DS version that want me to toss them something?

The guy in a white robe (he's a little soft at the wrists) also wants a vision herb. He will kiss you, and naturally, you will lose a point of strength. Laughing
From then on, he will ID all your bracelets.

There is an old man that you throw a scroll to. (the scroll that purifies cursed items). I remember that he walks around so it may be hard to ID him if you play in Japanese.
Another old man helps you when you are in some type of trouble(i.e. no rice balls left or when HP is low). but you wont need to toss him anything.

About the bungee dungeon, you will have to see 2 events at the first village by waking up there. I think you may have seen the 1st one. Try waking up again in the village to see if another event takes place. Then try going to the bridge alone.

The picking up and setting of traps is not something that you can do in the SNES version. In the DS version, I noticed that there are preservation pots in the trap dungeon. It did not exist in the SNES trap dungeon...which made it difficult to get to the 99th floor.

>Shapermc
Yes, I really hope it gets translated into English.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
The guy in a white robe (he's a little light in the loafers)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

The guy in a white robe (he's a little soft at the wrists) also wants a vision herb. He will kiss you, and naturally, you will lose a point of strength. Laughing
From then on, he will ID all your bracelets.

Oh cool, worth a little hardship for that.

Quote:

There is an old man that you throw a scroll to. (the scroll that purifies cursed items). I remember that he walks around so it may be hard to ID him if you play in Japanese.
Another old man helps you when you are in some type of trouble(i.e. no rice balls left or when HP is low). but you wont need to toss him anything.

No problem, I'll just toss scrolls at all of the old men. I think there is a Red Robed and a Green Robed old guy, should be easy enough to see which one is the REMOVE CURSE guy.

Quote:

About the bungee dungeon, you will have to see 2 events at the first village by waking up there. I think you may have seen the 1st one. Try waking up again in the village to see if another event takes place. Then try going to the bridge alone.

I just made it in. NASTY dungeon. Figure I was all equipped to make a decent go of things but endded up getting killed in the second room of the first floor as I was overrun by Black Slimes (with the cool power to REMOVE any armor plating you may have on your weapon or armor).

Quote:

The picking up and setting of traps is not something that you can do in the SNES version. In the DS version, I noticed that there are preservation pots in the trap dungeon. It did not exist in the SNES trap dungeon...which made it difficult to get to the 99th floor.

While not sure, I think there may even be some point in trying to have a single monster go through MULTIPLE traps for some sort of experience bonus but not sure about this yet.

But Camus, I now have a BIG request for you!! Can you please link me to that site of yours with Japanese FAQs (hopefully) on the blank scrolls in the DS version as the titles they used for the scrolls back in the SNES version don't seem to be working:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/fuurai_no_shiren.txt
(check entry down in scrolls about blank scrolls)

I've coded in a few scrolls EXACTLY as he worded them there and got nothing!

Thanks in Advance!
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
CamusSirius wrote:

HaHaHa! Laughing
Or we would call them OKAMA in Japanese.
His name is KAMA hige.

Hi LordGek.
I was not able to see the site that you listed.

Here are a few links to DS sites:
http://dungeon.jp/shirends/index.html
http://sirends.memo-memo.info/
http://zapanet.info/shiren/
http://miya.s16.xrea.com/siren/

I got my info from the first site.
It also says that you have to have read the scroll before to make it work when you use the blank scroll. (ex. if you want to use the blank scroll to work like the ID scroll, you would have to have read the ID scroll before)
Below is the list of scrolls in the DS version:
http://dungeon.jp/shirends/aitemu_makimono.htm

And here is the link to where the Best of the Best Fushigino Dungeon players gather:
http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~matsuoka/siren/sirankim.html

[/url]
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LordGek.

I did not find any FAQs for blank scrolls but just sites which listed them all.

I listed the DS scrolls below.

Name as found in the dungeons / simple Japanese name / what it does

あかりの巻物       あかり         Lights up whole floor
混乱の巻物       こんらん     Confuses enemy
識別の巻物      しきべつ     ID
バクスイの巻物    ばくすい     Sleep
おはらいの巻物    おはらい     Removes curse from items
地の恵みの巻物    ちのめぐみ     +1 to shield
天の恵みの巻物    てんのめぐみ     +1 to weapon
真空斬りの巻物    しんくうぎり     damage to enemy
大部屋の巻物    おおべや     Large Room
ワナの巻物    わな     Makes traps
ワナがけの巻物    わながけ     Makes traps work against the enemy for one turn.
困った時の巻物    こまったとき     Scroll to be used in time of distress
メッキの巻物   めっき     plating for weapon and shield
吸い出しの巻物   すいだし     sucks items out of pot
ジェノサイドの巻物    じぇのさいど     Genocide
おにぎりの巻物    おにぎり     rice ball
パワーアップの巻物   ぱわーあっぷ    power up
迷子の巻物    まいご        you get lost (map is cleared)
拾えずの巻物    ひろえず     you cannot pick up items from then on
モンスターハウスの巻物 もんすたーはうす     monster house
自爆の巻物   じばく    blow up!
くちなしの巻物        くちなし   you lose your mouth (can't eat, read, etc)
敵加速の巻物         てきかそく    enemy becomes fast

聖域の巻物        せいいき     do not read but place on the ground (holy ground)
全滅の巻物       ぜんめつ     annihilation

I did not ever really use blank scrolls (only used a few) so I cannot say for sure, but the 'simple Japanese name' listed above, is what you would probably need to inscribe on the blank scroll. I was not successful in finding a way to use it for Genocide...couldn't find anyone who knew either..
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
CamusSirius wrote:

HaHaHa! Laughing
Or we would call them OKAMA in Japanese.
His name is KAMA hige.

Hi LordGek.
I was not able to see the site that you listed.

Here are a few links to DS sites:
http://sirends.memo-memo.info/
http://zapanet.info/shiren/
http://miya.s16.xrea.com/siren/

I got my info from the first site.
It also says that you have to have read the scroll before to make it work when you use the blank scroll. (ex. if you want to use the blank scroll to work like the ID scroll, you would have to have read the ID scroll before)
Below is the list of scrolls in the DS version:
http://dungeon.jp/shirends/aitemu_makimono.htm

And here is the link to where the Best of the Best Fushigino Dungeon players gather:
http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~matsuoka/siren/sirankim.html

[/url]

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Oh, since a lot of these names look the ssme MAYBE it was just a matter of not reading the scrolls I was trying to make first (by having read them I assume its IN THIS RUN and not simply having read them at some point in a previous life, right?)

I should have known that "Dungeon of Japan" would have a comprehensive FAQ as they were really helpful to me with Torneko 3, Asuka Shiren, and even Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon!

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
Hi LordGek.

I did not find any FAQs for blank scrolls but just sites which listed them all.

I listed the DS scrolls below.

Name as found in the dungeons / simple Japanese name / what it does

あかりの巻物       あかり         Lights up whole floor
混乱の巻物       こんらん     Confuses enemy
識別の巻物      しきべつ     ID
バクスイの巻物    ばくすい     Sleep
おはらいの巻物    おはらい     Removes curse from items
地の恵みの巻物    ちのめぐみ     +1 to shield
天の恵みの巻物    てんのめぐみ     +1 to weapon
真空斬りの巻物    しんくうぎり     damage to enemy
大部屋の巻物    おおべや     Large Room
ワナの巻物    わな     Makes traps
ワナがけの巻物    わながけ     Makes traps work against the enemy for one turn.
困った時の巻物    こまったとき     Scroll to be used in time of distress
メッキの巻物   めっき     plating for weapon and shield
吸い出しの巻物   すいだし     sucks items out of pot
ジェノサイドの巻物    じぇのさいど     Genocide
おにぎりの巻物    おにぎり     rice ball
パワーアップの巻物   ぱわーあっぷ    power up
迷子の巻物    まいご        you get lost (map is cleared)
拾えずの巻物    ひろえず     you cannot pick up items from then on
モンスターハウスの巻物 もんすたーはうす     monster house
自爆の巻物   じばく    blow up!
くちなしの巻物        くちなし   you lose your mouth (can't eat, read, etc)
敵加速の巻物         てきかそく    enemy becomes fast

聖域の巻物        せいいき     do not read but place on the ground (holy ground)
全滅の巻物       ぜんめつ     annihilation

I did not ever really use blank scrolls (only used a few) so I cannot say for sure, but the 'simple Japanese name' listed above, is what you would probably need to inscribe on the blank scroll. I was not successful in finding a way to use it for Genocide...couldn't find anyone who knew either..

As if I hadn't alreday abused my favor limit, Camus, here's a new hopefully simple request.

What is the significance of all of the buttons when "writing a blank scroll". I don't mean the characters themselves, but the buttons along the top and bottom of the screen. I believe there are some I don't see there when simply, say, naming an unidentified item.

Thanks in advance!!
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

Oh, since a lot of these names look the ssme MAYBE it was just a matter of not reading the scrolls I was trying to make first (by having read them I assume its IN THIS RUN and not simply having read them at some point in a previous life, right?)

From the way info is written in the sites, it seems that you do not have to read scrolls in the current life. Scrolls read in previous lives, count.
One note is that reading scrolls in Fei's 50 problems do not count. --I think that is why I was not able to use Genocide---never read it outside in the dungeons.

Oh, another note: the last two scrolls on the list are bonus scrolls.
The holy ground/safe haven scroll (is there somewhere that lists the item names in English?...sometimes hard to explain each item...I probably can explain with more accuracy too if I know the names--no need for the explaination of what each item does-need just names...i will probably be able to tell which is which) is usable from start.
The annihilation scroll can only be used after you have cleared Table mountain without using the storage rooms in each village, the guy who brings items to the storage rooms, and the pot which sends things to the storage rooms.

LordGek wrote:

What is the significance of all of the buttons when "writing a blank scroll".

The top 4 buttons from left to right:
Forward -- Backward -- Insert -- End

The first 3 are about the cursor. End is used when you have finished writing.

Bottom 2 buttons from left to right:
History -- Clear History

History lists all the previous entries you have made on blank scrolls. You can select from the History when writing too.

Just a note. I think you may have noticed some of the characters have a dot-dot like in the ば of ばくすい (sleep) or a small circle like ぱ and ぷ in the ぱわーあっぷ (power up).
Only the power up scroll has the small circle. The others are all the dot-dot.
Careful with the entries!!

Have fun!
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

Oh, another note: the last two scrolls on the list are bonus scrolls.
The holy ground/safe haven scroll (is there somewhere that lists the item names in English?...sometimes hard to explain each item...I probably can explain with more accuracy too if I know the names--no need for the explaination of what each item does-need just names...i will probably be able to tell which is which) is usable from start.
The annihilation scroll can only be used after you have cleared Table mountain without using the storage rooms in each village, the guy who brings items to the storage rooms, and the pot which sends things to the storage rooms.
Have fun!

Thanks again, Camus! Actually, I recall that (regarding the annihilation scroll) but was never clear on something. Is it just that I can unlock it if I make a single run without accessing any storage items or storing anything OR I'm I already screwed if I'd already used them in previous lives? Can I still have buddies with me for this "pure" run?

Actually, wait, I guess I am screwed since there is no way to "re-clear" Table Mountain, since the big baddy is all dead now in my current game.

That Holy Scroll seems a cute carry over from Nethack! The scroll that has no real effect if read and only works when you drop it down but then can never pick up again.

I also learned last night a cute little trick to confirm if I wrote a blank scroll right. If done correctly info will show me the description of the scroll I hoped I was writing but if I goofed it will still just show me the information for a blank scroll.
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Scoring big in Shiren the Wanderer DS! Reply with quote

Hey Camus (yet again)!

Do you know, roughly how scoring works in Shiren the Wanderer DS?

I ask since I think I made a neat discovery but its more likely just WISHFUL THINKING.

I made two runs in the Bonus Food dungeon the other day, one where I buffed my guy up to 8th level before I even entered and another where I went straight to the dungeon via cart guy (so still level 1).

I got a HIGHER SCORE with the guy I went straight into the dungeon with (107,000) even though the cheapy cheater guy (I still feel building up vefore you go into the dungeon is just a cheesey loop hole) made it a level deeper in the dungeon and was at least three experience levels higher when he died.

So it was like this:
Straight In Guy died on level 6 at experience level 7 for 107,000
Cheater Guy died on level 7 at experioence level 10 for 100,000

One difference MIGHT be simply that the Straight iIn Guy got almost as far dungeon depth wise in A LOT LESS TIME...so is there some sort of time bonus in the score?
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I'm probably just repeating myself here but the Trap Dungeon is more twisted than I initially thought.

Shiren meets clever puzzle game!

If you missed my earlier post about this here is how experience works in this dungeon:

Kill baddy directly w/o a trap being recently set off on it: 1 Exp.

Kill baddy a few turns after he sets off a trap: Standard Exp. Value.

Kill baddy a few turns off setting off multiple traps: Standard Exp. Value x number of traps set off (the exact same trap triggered multiple times doesn't count).

So Shiren, in this case, almost turns into a puzzle game where, if wanting to maximize your Exp. you'll need to setup clever combos of traps that hit a monster, send it across the room to hit another trap and so on.

While its pretty clear how these combos will effect one's experience, I'm not sure how the character's experience ties into their final score.
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

Thanks again, Camus! Actually, I recall that (regarding the annihilation scroll) but was never clear on something. Is it just that I can unlock it if I make a single run without accessing any storage items or storing anything OR I'm I already screwed if I'd already used them in previous lives? Can I still have buddies with me for this "pure" run?

Actually, wait, I guess I am screwed since there is no way to "re-clear" Table Mountain, since the big baddy is all dead now in my current game.

Don’t worry, you are not screwed. You can unlock the annihilation scroll at any time. Doesn’t matter what you have done in the past.
You can do all types of nasty and evil things and then, at the next life, or the next floor, you are a new, good person again....but only for a while Laughing Twisted Evil

It seems that nothing official has been announced or published regarding the scroll so people have different views on the unlock process.
It has been over a month now since I have played the DS version, and years since I have done the SNES. But I was able to unlock it in the SNES by:
Waking up in the first village, not using anything related to the storage rooms, and not entering them at all. I did not use the taxi to skip floors in the Table mountain. And I went up to the 30th floor and picked up the golden feather.

Per many sites, the unlock process begins when you wake up in the first village. Thus, you can take whatever items you have at that point…If you cleared other dungeons and have a stack of items when you wake up, just take all those with you and clear the 30 floors.

Someone mentioned that you can return to the first village (from the 2nd floor) and start your unlock process. Not sure of this.
Also not sure of how taking friends with you will affect the unlock process. It may be best to do a pure run without them.

Sorry, I never really paid attention to scores. I tried looking at a few sites and did not find anything….

About experience in the trap dungeon, I noticed that you get more than a meager 1 if you slay without the trap bracelet on.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

About experience in the trap dungeon, I noticed that you get more than a meager 1 if you slay without the trap bracelet on.

Okay, that is just too clever and strange! So now I get that "To wear or not to wear the Trap Master bracelet" is a key decision one must make moment to moment.

Pros: Can see all traps, not affected by traps, makes traps work on baddies, can give you big experience for a creature that steps on multiple traps in a row.

Cons: Drains extra food energy, only gives you 1 exp on direcet untrapped kills no matter how much the baddy is worth normally.

So my current strategy is to search a dungeon floor first with it on only to take it off breifly if I'm in the middle of a fight w/o an appropriate trap on hand.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Fina Reply with quote

Calling CamusSirius!

I think I just saw something that produced great sadness in me IF I read it right:

http://dungeon.jp/shirends/aitemu_udewa.htm

I see a bonus list of bracelets with some really interesting ones not available in the SNES Shiren the Wanderer but it looks like they might ONLY be available as "Rescue Rewards", something I'll never be able to do on my own.

So the big question, is there any way short of doing rescues to see some of those bracelets in the lower list OR are these reward for clearing the dungeons or something I can do on my own?

THIS JUST IN:
What do I need to do to SAVE Gaibara (the MAD MASTER POTTER)? I saw him on level 16, talked to him, and then saw him several times since that point again and again until I finally died on the 22nd level. When I awoke again it looks like he's still considered missing so I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to return him to the surface.
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Calling CamusSirius!

I think I just saw something that produced great sadness in me IF I read it right:

http://dungeon.jp/shirends/aitemu_udewa.htm

I see a bonus list of bracelets with some really interesting ones not available in the SNES Shiren the Wanderer but it looks like they might ONLY be available as "Rescue Rewards", something I'll never be able to do on my own.

So the big question, is there any way short of doing rescues to see some of those bracelets in the lower list OR are these reward for clearing the dungeons or something I can do on my own?

THIS JUST IN:
What do I need to do to SAVE Gaibara (the MAD MASTER POTTER)? I saw him on level 16, talked to him, and then saw him several times since that point again and again until I finally died on the 22nd level. When I awoke again it looks like he's still considered missing so I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to return him to the surface.

Unfortunately the bracelets are only from rescues.

Concerning Gaibara, if you have spoken to him at the 16th floor, he is considered found. Thus, no need to do anything more with him. He will not return to surface.
He will continue to appear on every floor no matter how deep (i.e. 1000F or 10000F) you go in the dungeon. Same goes for Naoki, the chef in the food dungeon.---This is, if the DS is programed the same as SNES.
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

>Unfortunately the bracelets are only from rescues.
Just want to add that the above is what the people in the site say.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:
>Unfortunately the bracelets are only from rescues.
Just want to add that the above is what the people in the site say.

Actually this may not be so bad as I just found out, via the wonders of Wi-FI, its pretty easy to get in on the rescuing action.

I guess all that is left then is wondering how I get a chance at these bracelets? I can only assume these are for some pretty deep rescues...or are they just randomly distributed even possible for some of these eleventh level guys.

Once the Chef is found in the Food Dungeon what can he do for you? Is it like in the main game where he can turn random meats into status boosting meals?

Also, having found the Mad Potter, are explosive pots added to the items findable in the Trap Dungeon?
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

I guess all that is left then is wondering how I get a chance at these bracelets? I can only assume these are for some pretty deep rescues...or are they just randomly distributed even possible for some of these eleventh level guys.

Once the Chef is found in the Food Dungeon what can he do for you? Is it like in the main game where he can turn random meats into status boosting meals?

Also, having found the Mad Potter, are explosive pots added to the items findable in the Trap Dungeon?

Hi there.

Not sure about the bracelets. I'll have to search the net when I have some time.
I haven't played the DS since I cleared Fei's Last Dungeon. Not too knowledgeable in the DS version. The SNES version I know pretty well.

For the SNES version, the chef acts as your exit in the food dungeon. I think this is the same for the DS. He won't do anything new for you.

For the SNES, explosive pots are not added. Probably not added in the DS.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

CamusSirius wrote:

Hi there.

Not sure about the bracelets. I'll have to search the net when I have some time.
I haven't played the DS since I cleared Fei's Last Dungeon. Not too knowledgeable in the DS version. The SNES version I know pretty well.

For the SNES version, the chef acts as your exit in the food dungeon. I think this is the same for the DS. He won't do anything new for you.

For the SNES, explosive pots are not added. Probably not added in the DS.

Yeah, I don't think you even get the explosive pot as a reward in the DS for when you first find the Mad Potter. However, did he act as a random pot cannon in SNES? In the DS version, if you talk to him when a monster is in line with him he'll throw a capture pot at it. So he actually is kind of handy, no clue if he did this in SNES.
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Are the "Reward Bracelets" available in Fei's Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:

Yeah, I don't think you even get the explosive pot as a reward in the DS for when you first find the Mad Potter. However, did he act as a random pot cannon in SNES? In the DS version, if you talk to him when a monster is in line with him he'll throw a capture pot at it. So he actually is kind of handy, no clue if he did this in SNES.

Sorry, I've been away for some time.
Yes, in the SNES version Gaibara throws a few pots when you 1st clear the trap dungeon. Once you speak to him, you have cleared that dungeon and thus, you cannot move (no more turns) anymore in the dungeon for that run/that life. He only does the throwing of pots on the 1st time you speak to him.

About the bonus bracelets, I found some postings saying that many of them can be obtained from simple rescues in any of the dungeons. One guy mentioned that he received one of the bonus bracelets by rescuing another guy on the 1st floor of Table Mountain. Table Mountain!--Anyone can do that!
One other posting mentioned that official word is out saying that some very rare bracelets can be obtained from completing rescues from deep in the trap dungeon (20+ floors).

Have fun!
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Where's Pekeji? Reply with quote

Hey Camus,

Where's Pekeji? Ever since he helped me discover the Deep Ravine dungeon I've never seen him appear on the Main Dungeon (Table Mountain) run. Is he lost in the Deep Ravine or do I need to do something special to see him again in the game?
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't derail the ongoing conversation, because it is very helpful. However, if I may sidebar:
Pijaibros wrote:
As much as I don't want to, I'm still going to buy Izuna anyway

Izuna is supposed to be out now here in the States, though I haven't found a copy yet. It's going to be an awkward thing, though, that conversation with the games clerk. Like buying a copy of Penthouse because your friend's letter got printed. You know?
CamusSirius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Where's Pekeji? Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Hey Camus,

Where's Pekeji? Ever since he helped me discover the Deep Ravine dungeon I've never seen him appear on the Main Dungeon (Table Mountain) run. Is he lost in the Deep Ravine or do I need to do something special to see him again in the game?

From what I read, it seems he acts as the exit in that bungee dungeon. Like Naoki (chef) in the food dungeon and Gaibara in the trap dungeon, he will apear on each floor from the 26F. I guess since he is in that dungeon, he does not apear in the other dungeons.
No info on if he can be taken out of the dungeon. Probably not, since nothing can be done to take Naoki and Gaibara out of their dungeons (SNES).

Fred wrote:

I hope I don't derail the ongoing conversation, because it is very helpful. However, if I may sidebar:

No problem! I think anyone can jump into the conversation.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Pijaibros wrote:
As much as I don't want to, I'm still going to buy Izuna anyway

Izuna is supposed to be out now here in the States, though I haven't found a copy yet. It's going to be an awkward thing, though, that conversation with the games clerk. Like buying a copy of Penthouse because your friend's letter got printed. You know?

I'm really looking forward to it, especially after this post of Kitsune over at the Quarter to Three forums:

Quote:

In any case, do I still recommend it? I don't know if I ever really recommended it per say, as pointed it out. I prefer to do recommendations on a person by person basis, as it's kind of difficult to figure out what a whole bunch of people will want.

But yeah, I still think it deserves a B in my ranking system, nearly a year of owning it. It starts out pretty easy, because in the scenario dungeons, your level doesn't reset, nor do your items. This is, of course, not the case, once you unlike the main 100F dungeon after you win it (the earlier dungeons are usually from 10 to 20 floors and sometimes higher). Then its back to traditional roguelike structure, no bringing in items and no retaining your level, back to level 1 each time. But before even that, even if with level and item allowances, the scenario can get pretty tough before it ends, so you'll not be facing as long a trek before it gets to your level, whatever that might be, as you would in Pokemon.

That said, the game is definitely aimed toward roguelike fanatics. It has an abudance of tiny little upsets here and there that roguelike fans and only roguelike fans will notice or appreciate. That is not to say that it is ultimately as well made as some other classics (my favorites gravitate toward Valhalla and Shiren the Wanderer). That said here are some elements of the game to give you a good idea of how it stands out:

-SP is the "hunger" figure of the game. Like in most RPGs, you need it cast spells, but in Izuna of course it has the roguelike feature of decreasing by 1 every time you get attack and with it, your attack power goes down. This makes Izuna quite a bit different in strategy from a regular roguelike's hunger daemon.

-Weapons have various levels added to them, one is a spirit seal level. As you can attach spirit seals to them to change their effects, it is generally beneficial to do so, but this is mitigated by the fact that if you go past its spirit seal level, they become easy to break. There are three levels of damage to weapons. Cracks can begin to appear, they can become somewhat damaged and then seriously damaged. Obviously, they can also be repaired in a variety of ways. Finally, when you first pick up a weapon, it has no sentimental value to you, but as you continue to use it, its sentimental value to Izuna will increase, kind of like a well-loved pet or memento.

-As the reviews have probably stated, Izuna's biggest gameplay conceit are these spirit seals (hard to translate, as it's a very Japanese word!) You can either use them to increase weapons or use them as items for effects. As in any good roguelike, there are some rather surprising effects. One allows you to send items back to your trunk at the village if you die in the main dungeon, which is otherwise impossible, but it also allows you to escape from the dungeon, so usage thought is critical. Another might change an enemy into an item. Yet another is a nasty surprise if you use in a traditional sense, but you can turn the tables around another way with it. One of them in particular makes me the roguelike freak in me geek out with joy: if you attach it to a weapon, it will have the effect of making enemies split into two, any roguelike freak will see the value in this seemingly bad idea.

So alongside the more typical stuff, Izuna does have a lot of neat little ideas scattered all over the place like a type of claw weapon that gets weaker as time goes on, but can destroy traps, or one that can release fire in three directions when your HP are full or one that increases experience. Traps that make you drop items for every step you take or ones that move Izuna around automatically and drop half her hit points until she hits a wall. Enemies that teleport into random positions once you hit them, or lay eggs in several directions, which can turn into other enemies.

While there's no where near the level of craziness that a Shiren or Torneko game possesses (mechanics as awesome as the pots in Shiren games or Torneko's puzzle dungeons, nah), there is the kind of invention that surprises you and makes you smile in a roguelike.

Also, keep in mind that there's only one save slot and it is the kind of hard save you'd expect from a roguelike, that is, you try to cheat, the game will treat it like a gameover and you can't restart a dungeon once you've started it, you have to stick it out or escape. But on the other hand, there's no score table, which is a bummer, especially because ChunSoft does such a good job with them in their games.

In short, I found Izuna a pleasant and sometimes surprisingly cool little diversion for a roguelike dungeon hack, but not the main event. Keep in mind though it did suffer somewhat by comparison, because it released in the midst of Persona 3, which is not a roguelike, but it a dungeon hack with random generation and is by now one of my most favorite dungeon hacks and Yangus & the Mysterious Dungeon, which is freakin' Dragon Quest, so of course it's hardcore lovely good and it's also a lot more creative than Izuna.

Also, boobs, lesbians and bizarre humor.

-Kitsune
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Yangus coming out in the US at some point?

I ordered Izuna yesterday. I'm thinking of it as trading up from Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Is Yangus coming out in the US at some point?

Probably not, and it's probably not worth it from the three hours I spent with the Japanese version.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon delayed my copy of Izuna to next week.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Amazon delayed my copy of Izuna to next week.

Is it at Circuit City?
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't gotten a chance to play yet (work, hurry up and be over already) but have read the manual and this little dungeon crawler looks like its got some decent depth to it.

Determining how much damage you'll do can get downright complicated in this game it looks like. There is the weapon's basic attack power (which will decrease as its worn down), there is your experience level, there is your SP level (sort of your magic/hunger level which decreases when you're hit or use a talisman) but in the meantime add something to your damage, your LUV level of that weapon (not sure if say familiarity with a type of weapon carries over to others of that same type but think its really just based on how much you use THAT PARTICULAR set of steel claws, for example, not even another set of steel claws)

...and this is all before even getting to whatever talismans you have in effect on the weapon (which are cumalitive so putting on multiple fire signs means more fire damage) or factoring in the baddy's basic defense levels.

So There!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this all sounds well and good... but you keep your levels. This sounds like it may have all the bad parts of Chocobo Mystery Dungeon and Nightmare of Druaga, but potentially be a bit more interesting/moe.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure what moe means! i've been playing izuna, though.

it's really boring. the dungeons are just boxes with lines drawn between them. i found a big room once, but the floors in this game are tiny - there were only five enemies and four items on the entire floor. enemies, with few exceptions, are pretty interchangable. you spend all of your time wandering around, bopping enemies, and going to the next floor. it's closer to torneko than to shiren.

actually, i would probably sooner call izuna a jrpg with random dungeons than a roguelike. the things in your inventory feel more like "items" than tools. talismans can be used instantly as scrolls or stuck to weapons as enchantments, but that's just the gameplay into the boring item-forging game that seems to be the thing the developers spent the most time on. enchant a weapon, use another item to make it a permanent stat boost, enchant the weapon so it will be sent back to the storehouse when you die, repeat ad nauseum.

you also accumulate ninja equipment like shuriken and caltrops. you can spread caltrops on the floor, and when an enemy walks over them, it - takes a little bit of damage. what if the enemy's leg got hurt and it moved at half speed? imagine how great a real ninja roguelike would be. izuna's not a ninja, she's a monster-bopper. the screen is too small for any interesting tactics.

and it's a shame. the script is really great, the animation is extra cute and the music is pretty hot. but the game is completely bland. and no one has been groped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on the scale of Pokemon MD to Shiren, where does it land?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and it's a shame. the script is really great, the animation is extra cute and the music is pretty hot. but the game is completely bland. and no one has been groped.

Yeah, the animation looked fantastic from the website.

Ok, I'm not going to get it. Sorry Atlus, you should have picked Shiren.

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to get the "rhythm" of the game...like once you've played a game for a while and can say, yes this is a good weapon or I know I'll be able to take out that snorkel fish with just one more hit.

I'm actually liking it so far and think the creatures and items are more interesting than dessgeega gives them credit. Most items are more than just their ATT or DEF ratings, like armor that protects you against certain special attacks or a weapon that has a chance of knocking the monster back a space.

Some folk on GameFAQs, and one never knows if its all talk, they've been playing some ROM for a few days already or what, but claim to have already gotten to the final story dungeon after just a day of playing!

Even if that is possible I have faith this game's post dungeon, in which you start off empty handed and level 1, will humble these folk as there won't be any "pre-buffing" (equipment or character build-up) to help you out.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Even if that is possible I have faith this game's post dungeon, in which you start off empty handed and level 1, will humble these folk as there won't be any "pre-buffing" (equipment or character build-up) to help you out.

Wait...

shit

Is this confirmed?

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
LordGek wrote:

Wait...

shit

Is this confirmed?

Quoting a bit from Kitsune above:
Quote:

But yeah, I still think it deserves a B in my ranking system, nearly a year of owning it. It starts out pretty easy, because in the scenario dungeons, your level doesn't reset, nor do your items. This is, of course, not the case, once you unlike the main 100F dungeon after you win it (the earlier dungeons are usually from 10 to 20 floors and sometimes higher). Then its back to traditional roguelike structure, no bringing in items and no retaining your level, back to level 1 each time. But before even that, even if with level and item allowances, the scenario can get pretty tough before it ends, so you'll not be facing as long a trek before it gets to your level, whatever that might be, as you would in Pokemon.

But, who knows, maybe this was dropped from the port or Kitsune (who seems to go through EVERY RPG RELEASED both in Japan and here in the US) got the game confused with another Mysterious Dungeon game.

So I'm at least 99% certain it was in the Japanese version but have yet to have it confirmed with the US release. The fact that at GameFAQs there are already folk on the final dungeon after just a day, I'm sure we'll soon hear their whines about some "impossibly screwed dungeon that you can't bring in all of their buffed stuff and therefore the game sucks, yada yada".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: