The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Variations on a Form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Variations on a Form Reply with quote

aderack: This is actually kind of interesting.

I wonder what Naka will do to the camera in his mission.
ajutla: This is kind of a step in the right direction.
ajutla: It uses the only real advantage the PSP has.
aderack: Yeah, I'm slightly interested in this, just from this angle. Not that I care THAT much about Tenchu.
ajutla: I've actually, uh, never played a Tenchu.
aderack: Just. The idea of variations on a form. Getting different artists' impressions of a game.
aderack: You played Tomb Raider?
ajutla: Yeah.
aderack: It's Tomb Raider with a hookshot.
ajutla: Ah.
ajutla: I don't think I care THAT much about Tenchu either, then.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. tempest 2000.

BY WHICH I MEAN: dave theurer's tempest plus llamasoft's jeff minter equals best shooter ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's awesome. It's kinda like an idea I had a long time ago for "Game Covers". I would love to see designers make someone elses game to see how it turns out. Like, let Kojima try making Metroid, or one of the Treasure teams make a Sonic game. If this starts a trend, it could end up being very interesting.
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treasure already made a Gradius.

Shinji Mikami's been making Zeldas.

This is a little different, though. More like a... tribute album or something.

Also makes me think of that "I am 8 Bit thing", only more... relevant.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Tenchu. I was reading that as Tenchi.

The camera already sucks in that game.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This points me back to something I was writing about last night. The most important feature of the PSP is the Memory Stick. It is ... amazing really. I am pretty impressed with Sony for it.
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be even more impressed when they get the price down on the 1 GB and 2 GB sticks to something competitive with other flash prices.

Back to topic though: Beyond the face value of the big designers they've signed up to contribute to the Tenchu PSP bonus missions, I think it bodes well for the quality of the built-in level editor itself. So I'm totally looking forward to that. If I can sit in an airport Wi-Fi zone before my plane and download a couple of new Tenchu missions to my memory stick to play on the flight...or just spend the flight creating a mission for my friends to fuck around with later that evening sent through an e-mail attachment...yes, yes - more stuff like this please.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if sony will try to kill games like this in order to close security holes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
I'll be even more impressed when they get the price down on the 1 GB and 2 GB sticks to something competitive with other flash prices.

512mb is more then enough room for tons of games and a few videos/mp3s. I only have a 128mb and have more then enough room for all the NES/GB|C/SMS/PCE games I want along with a video and some mp3s.

dark steve wrote:
I wonder if sony will try to kill games like this in order to close security holes.

They need to work on getting the system in as many hands as possible. I doubt it. Their next handheld will be far less accessable in this manner.
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more interested if I'm actually able to recognize which developer made the level without prior knowledge. Removing these game designers from their respective idioms and handing them a relatively limited level-making tool seems quite different from remaking of a film or a covering a song.

Come to think of it, there was really no reason this couldn't have been done on Xbox, PS2 or PC.

Hmm, I'll start thinking about the PSP once there's a way to get it to read files off of my iPod. Given the size of my music collection, there's really no way 1GB is acceptable. I'm not really interested in shelling out any amount of money on a proprietary storage format, either.
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
512mb is more then enough room for tons of games and a few videos/mp3s. I only have a 128mb and have more then enough room for all the NES/GB|C/SMS/PCE games I want along with a video and some mp3s.

Not enough for the fat multi-disc stuff in best quality video. Need my 1 GB for that. Nothing kills time on a Chicago->LA flight like a good movie on your PSP. It's better than the Panasonic portable DVD player I have, even with its slightly smaller screen. Just looks and sounds fantastic. With everything it does (and I use it all) - the movies, the music, the games, the emulation...the PSP is probably one of the coolest devices I've ever owned.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't you just read a book and better yourself instead?

jesus, where's my scotch?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Treasure already made a Gradius.

Shinji Mikami's been making Zeldas.

This is a little different, though. More like a... tribute album or something.

Also makes me think of that "I am 8 Bit thing", only more... relevant.

Aye, but this was something I was saying that I wanted to see well before that. Besides, the Capcom-made Zelda games feel more like someone trying to immitate and capture the magic of Link to the Past, rather than genuinly making it thier own.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True!

Just saying.

Anyway. Is this... well. Can anyone think of another Japanese game aside from, like, RPG maker or whatever, that includes a level editor or anything along those lines? All I can think of is the "color edit" feature in a few fighting games. And, you know, the occasional game like PSO that actually has a character creation system.

We're getting closer. The schools are learning from each other...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Oh. Tenchu. I was reading that as Tenchi.

STFU Toups

aderack wrote:
Anyway. Is this... well. Can anyone think of another Japanese game aside from, like, RPG maker or whatever, that includes a level editor or anything along those lines? All I can think of is the "color edit" feature in a few fighting games.

Excitebike not count? Forget that. The real question still remains.

"How much?"
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't meet your criteria, but: Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft 3.

Both of these games have easily quadrupled their lives on my computer due to their built-in editors. The main quest in Neverwinter Nights was, as Toups might put it, "extremely competent," but the real meat was in the modules that people made for others. Some changed the rules rather drastically: some gave you no XP from combat (giving rogues a fair chance, as you got the XP from the mission no matter how you did it), gave you new allies (my favorite is the module with the skeleton whose bones you could configure) or added entirely new scripts with new abilities towards item creation. It was an interesting time when I was in the community, despite evil bugs (once I had my entire inventory disappear, losing about 20 hours work), and the low general quality of modules.

Warcraft 3 was more limited in its abilities, which actually spurred on new ideas. How Tower Defense or Aeon of Strife games work is beyond the scope of what I want to write in my post, but they played like totally different games from vanilla Warcraft 3. There is the possiblity of entirely different ways of playing in Tenchu if you give the guys working on the maps just enough restrictions or just enough freedom to do it in. However, I'd personally be more interested in what users will create and make downloadable, as they have no real "professional boundaries" to work from.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
aderack wrote:
Anyway. Is this... well. Can anyone think of another Japanese game aside from, like, RPG maker or whatever, that includes a level editor or anything along those lines? All I can think of is the "color edit" feature in a few fighting games.

Excitebike not count?

Actually, fuck. All of the "programmable" NES games -- Excitebike, Wrecking Crew, Lode Runner... I spent so fucking much time with those, even knowing I couldn't save my work. I found all sorts of secret elements of Wrecking Crew that TO THIS DAY I have never seen documented. I drew up on a blackboard a scheme for causing a special golden hammer to appear, that would allow the player to break anything in one blow.

Anyway. Yeah. About games devolving -- we GOT shit like this on the NES. Early on, anyway, when people didn't know any better. Now we're starting to get around to it again. Finally, just now. 2005 is working its way back to 1985 again.

As for Warcraft and stuff -- well, exactly. It's common in Western games. Them thar Japaneses, though -- they've got a different viewpoint. Usually. They're not accustomed to this kind of openness, probably through two decades of entrenched, secretive mega-developers. That, and the thread that's evolved in Japanese design, whereby the scales are weighted such that the point is more for the game to affect the player than the player to affect the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance Wars. (And possibly all of the 'Wars' titles going back, I don't have enough experrence with them to say.)
shnozlak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightBit wrote:
...or one of the Treasure teams make a Sonic game. If this starts a trend, it could end up being very interesting.

I once had a dream of a treasure made a sonic game using genesis sprites; it ran on the atomis wave, single player sonic only, featured 100 levels with no rings, plenty of lamp posts and required insane levels of timing skill. Also it featued a super fast wall kick and the grind.

It was called "sonic hard type".

Last edited by shnozlak on Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Rocket Knight Adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: