The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this for real?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: is this for real? Reply with quote

http://www.lesmisgame.com/menu.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds stupid and abortive enough to be so, yeah.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FUTURE!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLgasm
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because fighting games and classic French literature are a match made in heaven, y'all might find ArmJoe a bit interesting if you ever wanted to beat the crap out of Cosette or Jean Valjean in a bit of Les Mis-inspired pugilism. Here's the Underdogs link for those not predisposed to fighting with the Japanese moon language.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Because fighting games and classic French literature are a match made in heaven, y'all might find ArmJoe a bit interesting if you ever wanted to beat the crap out of Cosette or Jean Valjean in a bit of Les Mis-inspired pugilism.

Don't forget about other things like Jeanne d'Arc, and the female King Arthur games coming out for classic lit mixed with videogames!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading and looking through the website made me throw up in my mouth.

however.

it looks like it could, possibly, maybe be a good thing with a vomitous website. can anyone confirm?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about this whole project makes me think of Jefferson Starship, but I can't imagine why.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that picture in the middle of that collage, of the halo-world with the horizon bending concavely. That's the sort of thing speculative Sci-Fi does brilliantly. If I was a kid seeing that I would stare at that picture for hours and have all sorts of adventures.

I wonder where he got it from.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after reading the faq thoroughly, this seems sort of exciting. He's created a huge adventure-game world, including real, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy locations, and using different art styles for different types of settings. He basically intends to tell a variety of classic literature within the same game world, which is an appealing idea.

Quote:
Les Miserables is the first of a series of games, each taking place in the same game universe. And unlike any other game, each game includes all previous games. The next game is likely to be War and Peace. If you play War and Peace and decide to walk across the Prussian border toward France, you will find yourself in the story of Les Miserables. With each story the game world becomes bigger and more complex.

Each story is a major event, a substantial work in it own right. Les Miserables is the first - adapting Victor Hugo's 1200 page book. War and Peace will probably be next - adapting Leo Tolstoy's even longer masterpiece. These aren't chapters, they are each epics that can stand alone, yet occupy the same universe. The stories complement each other. For example, Les Miserables is set in France a generation after Napoleon. War and Peace shows us the other side of the same story, Russia during the height of Napoleon's campaigns.

That is the whole reason for the three design decisions that make this game different from other large games. The huge universe, relatively simple 2D graphics, and the absence of voice over. All of these things let me add content quickly, spending more time on the story and dialog. I plan to add a new story every six months on average. The current road-map looks like this. Please remember that these plans will almost certainly change, but it gives you an idea of where the game is going:

* December 2007: Les Miserables
* August 2008: War and Peace
* January 2009: Fairy Tales - a bit of light relief. When my kids were young they loved games where you could just click anywhere and fun things happened. This will be an oasis of silliness.
* Then: Dante's Inferno.
* H. G. Wells' The Time Machine
* Journey to the Center of the Earth
* The Epic of Gilgamesh
* Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, then Antony and Cleopatra, the other History plays, then...

... my long term plan is to include the complete works of Shakespeare. The King's Players reused cast and backdrops, so why can't I? When five or ten Shakespeare plays have been added then the next one can entirely reuse existing scenes and characters and be added in less than a month. One week to adapt the script, two weeks to code the puzzles, and a week to test. Of course by then I expect to be working on this full time, instead of just in the evenings. That's my long term goal. More and more content. Major, heavyweight content. And lots of it.

Everything depends upon the quality of his design and storytelling -- that is, how he intends to retell these tales through an interactive world. I like his ambition, though.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What particularly interests me is the thought of this huge world whose places and peoples exhibit all of these different works of literature -- all coexisting and overlapping. That's what makes me really want this to succeed. Unfortunately, that rich detail won't exist until the other works are added in coming years, and I wonder whether he'll ever go through with all of it if it is not initially a financial success of some kind.

Quote:
And more: this game is a long term project. In the first version, to be released December 2007, you will be able to explore these worlds in a limited way. Six to eight months later the next story will be released (probably Tolstoy's War and Peace) and the other worlds will be expanded and deepened. Every six months or so a new story will be added to the canon, and the other worlds will be expanded a little more. The game world grows and expands forever.

Quote:
Les Miserables is the first of a series of games based on classic books from around the world and beyond. In each, you play Cartaphilus (or Carter for short), the so-called "Wandering Jew." * You are cursed to wander time and space, a lost soul, looking for other lost souls to aid. Until you find the ultimate answers, at the end - and the beginning - of time. In this, the first game of the series, Jean Valjean is the soul you must save.

Quote:
Half of this game is Les Miserables. The other half is the wider world, which extends to Europe, other continents, the past, the future, under ground, up in space, other dimensions, and more. This is because Les Miserables is just the first story. Other stories will be added later, and they will occupy other parts of the game world. However, other worlds and cosmic themes already feature prominently in Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. So prominently in fact that most people do not even notice them.

Les Miserables is saturated with Christian characters and concepts. The book often refers to heaven, angels, the universe, stars, fate, etc. To a Christian these are real places, not just metaphors. We cannot avoid these references. Hence, for example, the musical has lines like "to fall as Lucifer fell" and songs like "castle in the clouds," and it ends with a rousing scene where Valjean ascends into heaven and meets those who previously died.

In the game, the other worlds are not a matter of faith but are given (as far as possible) plausible rational explanations. I think Victor Hugo would understand. Hugo was not a Catholic but a Rationalist Deist. That is, he did not rely on faith, but reason. He believed in rational explanations for everything. It's not just Christianity either. Victor Hugo was deeply interested in spiritualism, the belief that other unseen worlds are in contact with ours. He chose the name "Les Miserables" by using table tapping.

Other classic authors made it clear that these other worlds can be treated as real places. See for example Dante's Divine Comedy, or Henry Fielding's "A Journey From This World to the Next." This game simply explores the worlds that are only mentioned in Les Miserables.

Good science fiction is not about robots and spaceships, but about strong ideas taken a little bit further. Science fiction often calls on the classics (think how often Shakespeare is used in Star Trek), and the classics often use science fiction or fantasy elements (for example, Shakespeare's The Tempest or Midsummer Night's Dream, or his ghosts and witches). Classical literature and science fiction/fantasy are not far apart.

Quote:

The above graphic illustrates how Carter's universe (the green plane) intersects other universes (the blue planes). The important thing to note is that the relationship is fixed. Carter is not some time traveler who can choose any time and any place. Just like you and me, he exists in a fixed universe that follows natural laws, but Carter's fixed universe intersects the others. He can walk back and forth as normal, but in doing so finds himself in the past, the present, the future, parallel worlds, imaginary worlds, and so on.

When Carter visits a place he is sucked into the time period that has the biggest impact on alternate history. If he goes to Egypt, he finds himself in the era of the Pharaohs. If he goes to Ethiopia, he finds himself meeting the first humans. If he goes to France, he finds himself at the time of the revolution. It is as if great events have a gravitational pull on him.

Where did he come from? Why does he have this power? He cannot remember, and he does not know. But he is determined to find out. And because he has been so far and seen so much, he has a calm, philosophical view of events. Yet inside he is lonely: nobody else can go where he goes, nobody else can see what he has seen. His life is a quest to connect with people and to find a home where people understand him.

At the start of the game he meets someone who can maybe help. But first he has a task to fulfill, to learn some important truths, and to save some lives. The saga begins in Revolutionary France.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fucking. mental. It reminds me of some of the websites you find made by autistic kids. 'My game maps the entire earth to the square metre and allows me godlike powers within it! Of course, the game would take over 600 terabytes of hard disk space, so for now I just play it in my head! I like to fly to Canada and turn off gravity, then when people ask I say it wasn't me!' <--- that's from a real site I read by an autistic teen
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on "Reviews" for the best part.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I really like that picture in the middle of that collage, of the halo-world with the horizon bending concavely. That's the sort of thing speculative Sci-Fi does brilliantly. If I was a kid seeing that I would stare at that picture for hours and have all sorts of adventures.

I wonder where he got it from.

I remember that from National Geographic when I was a kid. I totally tripped out on that.
(It was not a current issue, just something my parents had on a shelf. The Bicentennial Issue perhaps.)

1970's Space Colony Art

Wiki Goodness

edit: here
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giant huge world of exploratory madness = great idea

cribbing various classics of western literature for settings = odd idea, kinda leaves a bad tase in my mouth, but at least it wasn't lolita. japan has enough problems without giving them more ideas.

doing this with catcher in the rye instead = would be funny, sort of, unless the dev is one of those types who thinks catcher in the rye is anything but an anal wart on the history of western literature. then it would be hilarious.

doing this with ayn rand = gold

doing this with various childrens books in the public domain like beatrix potter = solid gold for reals

chance this is all a semi-autistic flight of fancy and/or alcoholism = excellent
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I like Catcher In The Rye. You have to remember Holden Caulfield isn't J.D. Salinger. The professor he meets at the end of the book is the person with the closest thing to the author's point of view.

Thanks for the links, Redeye!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but books about hateful autistic man boys don't really stack up against the finer literature of the 20th century, like ann coulter's output or a jews for jesus pamphlet.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 16...

I think it's a pretty great book. When I first read it I was 16 too, and I wished I had a friend like Holden Caulfield. Then on subsequent re-readings I found I'd grown apart from him, until eventually I just felt sorry for him. It wasn't clear to me the first time I read it that instead of reading about a really cool guy, you're actually watching someone in the process of a nervous breakdown.

The book affords us enough glimpses of smart, well-adjusted characters who provide counterpoint to Caulfield to let us know he's meant to be an unreliable narrator. I really don't know what makes it a wart on the ass of American Literature.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the game of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Smile
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vengence. bile and vengence.

not to mention that the entire fucking western world turned into holden caufield when we weren't looking. no wonder everyone's on pills and self-pity.

my catcher in the rye game, btw, was an IF of one screen where holden comes into a bar and corners the player, the last truly genuine non-crumb bum left in new york city. you, as the player, have to kill yourself during holden's monologue about how no one understands him, but using only objects from the bar.

the most inventive suicide wins.

edit: ultimate literary video game would be an adaptation of sons and lovers. play as the oppressive matriarchical hag, the broken drunken miner or the mama's boy who embodies the worst characteristics of both.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
doing this with ayn rand = gold

Argh!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally play a Slaughterhouse-Five (or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death) game.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
my catcher in the rye game, btw, was an IF of one screen where holden comes into a bar and corners the player, the last truly genuine non-crumb bum left in new york city. you, as the player, have to kill yourself during holden's monologue about how no one understands him, but using only objects from the bar.

the most inventive suicide wins.
To date, I tell this as a story at parties.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Argh!

it would be golden and you know it. give in to deliciousness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the creator of "SAFE MANUAL HANDLING" and "who is who in IDS" comes a game so incredible...

Honestly, it took me several minutes to determine whether or not the site was a joke. After initially looking over a few pages though, I somehow felt inclined to read through its entirety. In many ways, the project actually sounds somewhat interesting.

It's an oldschool point and click adventure game, but on a larger scale in terms of things to explore. While the graphics and interface might be dated, he seems to be putting a lot of effort into it. If nothing else, it should be way better than Mario is Missing. : )
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
sorry but books about hateful autistic man boys don't really stack up against the finer literature of the 20th century, like ann coulter's output or a jews for jesus pamphlet.

I never did get around to reading Godless.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Argh!

it would be golden and you know it. give in to deliciousness.

A game about stalking women home only to rape them to reaffirm man's individual heroic prowess and because they were allegedly gagging for it doesn't really leave a good taste in my mouth.
Redeye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I would totally play a Slaughterhouse-Five (or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death) game.

I remember seeing something in a computer store well over a decade ago.
It was probably some old-school interactive CD-ROM thing.

But I did find this.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm no rand fan by any stretch, but the whole "rape" thing is overblown in the extreme. (i know you're shitted up with objectivists and all, though i'm surprised you'd find any in the uk, but bear with me)

bad fiction tends to make for good games is what i figure. good books won't make for good games because there'd be too much focus on character and subtle exposition that you'd miss out on the WAM BOOM POW and all that good stuff. the games people love tend to have really cardboard characters. what did rand write, in terms of fiction? cardboard. cardboard to the extreme (which is why "telemachus sneezed" from illuminatus is so funny)

and while it may seem far fetched this does have a chance of happening if the jolie/pitt movie version of atlas shrugged comes out (a trilogy, from what i last heard, is being planned. a motherfucking trilogy! jesus! save! us! all!) a point and click adventure to figure out who john galt is!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After WWIII, they will refer to the wars in the classroom textbooks as The World Wars Trilogy.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
After WWIII, they will refer to the wars in the classroom textbooks as The World Wars Trilogy.

And people will get pissed when the US government releases history books about The World Wars Trilogy: Special Edition where they went back and Han the US didn't shoot first!

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:

And people will get pissed when the US government releases history books about The World Wars Trilogy: Special Edition where they went back and changed it so Han the US didn't shoot first!
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth the double post Smile
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted that second post! BAH!
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm no rand fan by any stretch, but the whole "rape" thing is overblown in the extreme. (i know you're shitted up with objectivists and all, though i'm surprised you'd find any in the uk, but bear with me)

It's right there in that very doorstop. I'm not one to buy into a culture of victimisation at all, ever, but the rape is clearly present, in relished detail.

And, oh God, a girl on my friend list has decided to post extracts of Atlas Shrugged and The Unbearable Lightness of Being along with her poetry, and if that wasn't painful enough, Borders has on display both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead on a "GREATEST BOOKS YOU'VE NEVER READ" campaign.

Don't be fooled by the thousand plus pages and small fonts, people: There's nothing of worth in those redundant exercices. I almost snapped a nerve right then and there.

dhex wrote:
and while it may seem far fetched this does have a chance of happening if the jolie/pitt movie version of atlas shrugged comes out (a trilogy, from what i last heard, is being planned. a motherfucking trilogy! jesus! save! us! all!) a point and click adventure to figure out who john galt is!

Spoilers: A mouthpiece-cum-sexual-fantasy for an awkward, dead, cultist bitch.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's right there in that very doorstop. I'm not one to buy into a culture of victimisation at all, ever, but the rape is clearly present, in relished detail.

ehhh, no. a caveat: i don't like rand. i don't think her fiction is worth reading, particularly, and i've never been able to do anything but analyze parts of it. i think the whole amphetamines thing explains a lot. i like entertaining cults of personality myself, but she fails that test (unlike osho rajneesh). but while i read a rather long blog v blog battle over this very issue last year, i realized that this charge is largely unfair. why? because unless you travel back in time, or hang out with very angry catholics, you'd not read anything about ulysses, whose main character engages in even more unsavory behavior.

the popularity of rand is a relic of the 70s, like hairy feminists and white guys with afros. there's no reason to get too upset. it's not like we live in an age of anti-state individualists or anything remotely like that. the holden caufields of the world won, and we're gonna all get strapped into the carseat of the superstate for our own good.

not that i don't enjoy the hilarity of me, of all people, feeling it necessary to defend rand and her cardboard cutout works, seeing as my idea of funny is yelling "unmutual! unmutual!" at objectivist gatherings, but...i figure if hollywood can provide several different upcoming and already released romanticized blowjobs to a concentration camp building piece of miserable shit like che, then a few ridiculous movies from the mind of a woman who seemingly misread every piece of philosophy she ever touched is no great shakes.

besides, in the uk, where the race to build a nation out of every little bit of every dystopic novel ever is being handily won against all odds, a little bit of ridiculous individualism is probably a good idea, if far too late. it'll give you something to argue about in the DNA-fingerprinting line before you're processed and tagged.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
rape them to reaffirm man's individual heroic prowess and because they were allegedly gagging for it doesn't really leave a good taste in my mouth.

A streetcar named desire? [I hate that play]
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you hate on tennessee williams?

this is more distressing than making a game based on les mis!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Dracko wrote:
rape them to reaffirm man's individual heroic prowess and because they were allegedly gagging for it doesn't really leave a good taste in my mouth.

A streetcar named desire? [I hate that play]

A Streetcar Named Desire isn't over a thousand pages long, though.

And I've honestly never had a problem with it, though when it comes to theatre, I prefer the surreal variety, à la Artaud, Beckett or "In your Face".

dhex: Sorry, just a touchy subject for me. Nothing has ever managed to offend me, period, except for Ayn Rand's works and the legion of whore-bred imbeciles that follow in her wake. The majority of whom, I've distressingly found, are lawyers or doctors. Or from New England.

The only time I've ever punched someone, that is, when not in a situation of self-defence or fucking around with my more violent friends, was when Rand was brought up. Something about her breed of hypocrisy offends the very core of my being, and I'm hardly the most ethically-minded, or anti-capitalist, for that matter, person around.

the prisoner lol
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
!

I hated studying it because it had the women in my class suggesting that Blanche wanted to be raped. Now, I can understand that she may have wanted to f--k stanley. But, you can't say that she wanted to be attacked when she tries to fight him off with a broken bottle. --- this left a really bad taste in my mouth when I studied it in English Lit.

Now Of Mice and Men would be a good Interactive Visual Novel.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip: Art studies will lie and lie and lie until they figure you're convinced.

Other pro tip: This rule isn't limited to art studies.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
dhex wrote:
!

I hated studying it because it had the women in my class suggesting that Blanche wanted to be raped. Now, I can understand that she may have wanted to f--k stanley. But, you can't say that she wanted to be attacked when she tries to fight him off with a broken bottle. --- this left a really bad taste in my mouth when I studied it in English Lit.

Now Of Mice and Men would be a good Interactive Visual Novel.

You have: Beans
Press 'A' to add Ketchup to your Beans
You ain't got no Ketchup!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
dhex wrote:
!

Yeah, this is something I don't think I'll ever understand - this masochistic streak some women have. I considered writing 'some people', but it's really not something I've noticed in men.

I once wrote this spoof dating guide for a sort of d.i.y. magazine me and some friends made, which ended with a line which was something akin to 'if all else fails, don't worry, most women want to be raped!!' which most people thought was funny, but at least two older women I know confronted me about it saying 'I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW MOST WOMEN DO NOT WANT TO BE RAPED," to which I'd say 'you understand this is a satire, right?' and point out there were 50 other things in the article which weren't true either- the comedy came from my presenting men's crazy misconceptions about women as fact.

Then they'd say something like 'I don't care, I want you to print an apology' or some shit. The line obviously struck a nerve with some women. Even though the fact that it was a satire was impossible to miss and flagged at every turn.

I've noticed that even my sister who I consider to be quite normal will sometimes deliberately say things wrong, so that men will correct her. It's definitely only men she does it to, too. Like you say, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I've noticed that even my sister who I consider to be quite normal will sometimes deliberately say things wrong, so that men will correct her. It's definitely only men she does it to, too. Like you say, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

For the record, saying something wrong so that you are corrected is significantly diffferent from being sexually assaulted against your will.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's what Harvey was getting at.

That apology shit is hilarious, though. A housemate of a friend of mine had to write an apology for spoofing anorexia in a student newspaper. He refused to, but then half-arsed one, which was later edited and signed, under his name, by the newspaper in question. I figured he should stir something up, but he didn't really care.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Then they'd say something like 'I don't care, I want you to print an apology' or some shit. The line obviously struck a nerve with some women. Even though the fact that it was a satire was impossible to miss and flagged at every turn.

Not that I don't have a habit of making rape jokes, but don't tell me you're surprised that that line hit a nerve with some women.

I mean. Really.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Most women I hang out with joke about it all they want.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:

Not that I don't have a habit of making rape jokes, but don't tell me you're surprised that that line hit a nerve with some women.

I mean. Really.

Yeah of course, but what bugged me was how my explaining the nature of the satire didn't do anything to alleviate the situation.

I mean, how can you find the rest of it funny but take offense at that bit? If you understand the rest of the humour you're already equipped with the tools you need to understand the context and intent of the last line. So it's not that they misunderstood the article- there's something else at play, there. I guess you've worked out that I'm implying I think the women who took offense at it really did secretly want to be raped. Hence the fluster and the bluster and the 'HOW DARE YOU's.

I mean it's a big accusation but there was a pattern amongst the women who took the most offense... they were all a similar kind of weirdo.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can appreciate satire but i can't really imagine a joke about rape being funny in any context. given how much it has fucked up the lives of so many women i care about and creates this cloud of fear that hangs over the day-to-day lives of most women i know. especially when a man who has likely never experienced it is making the joke.

but maybe i'm just oversensitive! how about you follow up with some jokes about aids, james?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: