The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Redescovering the GameCube via Wii
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Viewtiful Joe, but I really, really dislike it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, BG&E seems like it might be a good choice, if I can get it cheap enough. Short 'n' awesome, from what I can gather.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
BG&E

Be warned, I think it might actually be better on other systems. Not necessarily from a technical aspect, but the GameCube controller lacks a button that the other systems have. This means that when you want to look at the map you have to press start to go to the subscreen and then select map from there, where on other systems you can just press the Select Button. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but my biggest problem with the game was that I got lost too easily. An easily accessible map may have been enough to fix that.

So yes. Xbox or bust.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luigi's Mansion sounds perfect for what you're looking for, Lestrade.

Paper Mario is long, but if I remember correctly, it's broken up into distinct parts that make its length seem less daunting. Plus, it really is as good as all that.

Pikmin is beautiful and compact the way Ikaruga is. It's very arcade-y. I've played through it four times, which is nearly impossible to do with its sequel.

You can find all of these inexpensively.

I fall on the dislike side of Eternal Darkness, but everyone who says there is a lot interesting going on in the game is absolutely right.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG&E is one to avoid, I'd say. It's an attempt at doing a Zelda game. There's barely a single idea in there that isn't from either Mario 64 or one of the 3D Zeldas. Judged against the canon of the 3D Zelda games, though, it falls way, way short.

I don't generally like Ubisoft games, I've found.

Oh yeah, do you value aesthetics in games, particularly? Because F-Zero GX is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on a television screen. I'm not kidding!

Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are pretty great. I like Pikmin 2 but it's very big- I don't think the Pikmin concept is really worthy of a 40 hour+ game. Fun for the first time you play through it, but that's it.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
BG&E is one to avoid, I'd say. It's an attempt at doing a Zelda game. There's barely a single idea in there that isn't from either Mario 64 or one of the 3D Zeldas.

The same can be said (more accurately, I think) about Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid. But that doesn't mean both are not worth playing.

A lot of the basic mechanics in BG&E are borrowed, but I found that the game had a lot of heart--there's more to it than running around and collecting things. Characters that aren't irritating to me in a 3D platformer are almost unheard of, but BG&E had them. The design of the world and its inhabitants was also a big selling point for me. Mario 64, on the other hand, is one of those games whose influence I can appreciate but which I didn't really like to play--I don't think I got even halfway through it before I lost interest.

I guess it's just a question of differing tastes. I personally didn't enjoy Luigi's Mansion at all. I found it shallow and tedious. The only reason I still have it is that I like the effect when you use a mirror. Come to think of it, though, I'd be willing to trade it for something--my copy should be in pretty much like new condition.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Lestrade!

PN03 only takes me about an hour to beat now a days. The trick to making PN03 not suck is to avoid the filler: don't do the training missions inbetween the main levels. They were only put there because otherwise the game would be "too short". Without them it's the perfect length, and very action packed. Very very reminiscent of older shmups. (It's for shmups what RE4 is for RE!)

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
We all know turning your CRT TV on its side to play games in cocktail mode fucks them up

Actually not! Turn the TV off, unplug it, and let it sit for about ten minutes. Rotate it to its side, let it sit for another ten minutes or so, then plug it in and have at your tate shooters. If any funky discoloration shows up, just turn it off and let it sit for another ten minutes. To get the TV back to normal, just reverse the above steps.

It's a bit of a pain especially if you have a larger TV or only one TV, but it certainly makes a difference on smaller screens for games that have an included tate mode, Ikaruga being one of them.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wourme, I'd love to take that Luigi's Mansion off of your hands if you want to trade. I could probably part with Viewtiful Joe or Killer7 if you want either of them. Or I can shoot some cash your way. PM me if you're interested in any of that.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a GC and a lot of the games that I thought would be cool, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, THPS 4, V...... Joe etc. However, I foun that the games I most enjoyed were

Resident Evil REmake: I hadn't played much of the first PS one, so it was cool to be able to enjoy it on GC. I enjoyed it for the fact it was the only game I finished on the GC, + it had good graphics and it was an interesting 'story'. Sure the game side was a bit annoying, but the audio-visual story-ness was enjoyable.

THPS 4: not as good as THUG but quite fun.

Luigi's Mansion, cool, funny and atmospheric but the save system
and gameplay began to grate.

Wind Waker + Zelda TOOT/ MQ disk. Wind Waker was good, really good in parts but the ocean as poorly implemented. Zelda Ocarina of time disk is okay, but I never *really* enjoyed that game so much.

P.S BG&E (played it on PS2 only though, GC is said to be Michel Ancel's fave version).
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fuck REmake was good. I might pick it up just to have it. It's gorgeous.

I went to a nearby shop on my lunch and just left, completely uninspired to get anything. If I got anything, it would be cheap, possibly quirky, and something I could play for minutes at a time and not worry about it.

I realized while in the store that my attitude towards games is much like my attitude towards film: if I miss a game, I just let it go. Maybe a few years down the line, when I've nothing else to play, I'll pick it up, but I prefer just dealing with the titles of the moment, and only playing what I comfortably have time to enjoy. Life's a lot less stressful that way.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill Valentine's foxy in that game.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade based on your gaming tastes I think you'd enjoy Beyond Good and Evil a lot. And it plays fine on the Gamecube. I had no troubles with it.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Jill Valentine's foxy in that game.

man that costume she has with the orange goggles is stone cold hot
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellllllllll yes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG&E plays like watching a movie. Its simple and straight forward. A lot of fun to watch, not too engaging to play.

Also, seriously, PN03 lestrade.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Beyond Good and Evil a lot. I thought the stealth portions were well done (maybe even better than Metal Gear Solid?) because there was a real feelling of fear I had while playing them.

I also have the Gamecube version and it has never bothered it.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also liked PN03, but I played a lot of the training missions (thinking I needed to level up or something) and that made me become pretty tired of the game by the end.

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I liked Beyond Good and Evil a lot. I thought the stealth portions were well done (maybe even better than Metal Gear Solid?) because there was a real feelling of fear I had while playing them.

The sneaking part with all the conveyor belts has some excellent yet very subtle tension-building music. For a while, because it's not included in the official soundtrack, I thought that I might have just imagined this particular music, but I eventually tracked down the actual game rip soundtrack and found the track I had remembered.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the stealth parts are pretty neat. It's just Sneaking Around Hyrule Castle DX, though.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
BG&E plays like watching a movie. Its simple and straight forward. A lot of fun to watch, not too engaging to play.

which is exactly why it ends up being ugly gear zelda.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SNAP
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Cube version of BG&E is the bets version fyi guys.
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Snakes if you haven't played through PS1 Metal Gear Solid. (I just found this really cheap - 8 Pounds when it usually sells for 30 Pounds.). Okay, I've only played a bit of the first area, but it seems highquality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: