The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Reading Thread Gaiden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Stephenson is a lot more popular among the hardcore tech crowd, yeah. This is probably because he writes about stuff that geeks are interested in/have wet dreams about whereas Gibson is more of a noir-y writer who happens to have "technological" subject matter.

And his more recent stuff is decent, just not nearly as good as his first stuff, especially in comparison to Neuromancer and Burning Chrome (which I think is his best stuff, much like George R.R. Martin's best writing is in his sci-fi short story collections (and Dick, although I feel that many people on this board would disagree with me)).

I blame the lack of drugs. Or at least further distance from drugs.

Yeah, I agree with everything here (except for Dick's short stories being better than his novels).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I haven't tried to read any of his novels since I was 17. They may well have been beyond me.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I can concur. Most of my friends hold Stephenson up on a pedistal and either dislike or have never heard of Gibson's work. Personally I liked Idoru a lot more than Snow Crash but I think I have a bit of a bias.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Stephenson's work a lot, but trying to compare the two writers seems to me like the cliched apples and oranges.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dhex: I flipped through Holy Blood in a public library once and quickly lost interest. I loathe Dan Brown for becoming a national bestseller by means of shitty prose and a complete disregard for factual accuracy, but I find myself entirely indifferent to straight-faced attempts to create the most sinister of conspiricies around centuries-old heresies long debunked by the Church itself.

well, that's just what they want you to think!

i have a fairly high threshold for agit-prop and conspiracy mongering, either due to a strange ability to laugh at nearly everyone and everything or because i am the most patronizing bastard in human history. either way, i mean, holy blood is a terribly boring book in some respects, but at the same time there's a good reason why this and various other magdalenist heresies have taken root. plus it's fun to see someone get really sucked into the whole thing and then ask them "so what?"

Quote:
I seriously despise Stephenson and think that he's just a hack who tried to make science fiction acceptable enough for assholes who think that Pynchon is a good writer.

yeah, pretty much. being an asshole who thinks pynchon is a good writer, i like stephenson, even if i have no idea what the fuck cryptonomicon's subject matter is actually about. the historical series was great fun, and i did enjoy the hell out of the diamond age.

i just never had much patience for sci fi, even as a kid. i've never been able to get past the second chapter of neuromancer.

different strokes for different folks.

edit: the valis trilogy is my favorite of dick's work, and i will admit to thinking that he kind of wasted his life writing sci fi at several points.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been reading some murakami stories at nana's recommendation.

i like a shinagawa monkey.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I loathe Dan Brown . . . a complete disregard for factual accuracy

This is a shitty reason to loathe a novelist. Still, Dan Brown is terrible.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

In this case it's more like a complete disregard for factual accuracy while at the same time totally purporting to be factually accurate to the point where that illusion is the entire selling point of your novels?

It's hyprocrisy, albeit shrewdly opportunistic hypocrisy. I never thought pseudo-intellectual would be a viable marketing segment but I guess Mr. Brown has a good nose for that shit.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

In this case it's more like a complete disregard for factual accuracy while at the same time totally purporting to be factually accurate to the point where that illusion is the entire selling point of your novels?

Right. An author of fiction has two main responsibilities to his audience: he must lie enough to convince them to suspend their belief and buy into his story, and he must write in an honest way that doesn't break this trust forged between author and reader. At the beginning of DaVinci Code, Brown includes an author's note about how the following highly covered up conspiracies are really true and he's accumulated the information through careful research etc. etc. and then proceeds to blow smoke out his ass for 250 pages. And sometimes it's not even the plot related stuff--it's things as trivial as having GPS coordinates for the CIA 'hidden' on the book jacket--except the coordinates are missing one digit, and when Brown is asked about it he replies "The discrepancy is intentional." The discrepancy is intentional?? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

That's not telling the truth as a novelist. Don't get me started on Digital Fortress, a tale about cryptography and code-breaking computers written with absolutely no grasp of the concepts whatsoever. This is especially pathetic if one has read Cryptonomicon and Stephenson's thoroughly researched postscript in the back of the book.

DaVinci Code would be less insulting if the author's note at the beginning was omitted, as one could just pass Brown off as a lousy writer who doesn't know how to do enough research to make a novel believable, but instead he comes off as a liar and a fraud with all his psuedo-intellectual posturing.

So on the contrary, complete disregard for factual accuracy is MORE than enough reason to loathe a novelist. His job is to lie well and convince the readers of the world he has created, and he fails by not doing his homework. He then turns around and fails to be honest with the readers--blatantly and utterly lies to them--by giving his word that the 'facts' he uses are true.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read Life of Pi, Lolita, or Pale Fire? Have you seen Fargo? The first three include forewords that are entirely fictional (though they claim factuality) that are just as much a part of the novel as anything that follows. Fargo opens by claiming to be based on a true story. Blatantly lying to a reader or a viewer can be an incredible asset to one's art. There are plenty of reasons not to like Dan Brown's writing, but he is a novelist. Holding his written word against the truth is short-sighted, and getting your feathers ruffled over it is silly.

Sorry I haven't read any of the other books you mentioned in your post.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the appeal of dan brown is not that he's purporting to be accurate.

his appeal is that he's supporting a version of reality that people wish to be true, and wish enough to enjoy his books on something other than just the thriller level.

or maybe i'm just happy that i can make magdelenist heresy jokes and people get them now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that much of the Dan Brown problem is caused by weak-minded readers who take his work to be based in solid fact rather than fiction, but it still doesn't absolve the author of failing to create a convincing reality ("lie well"; this goes double if your work intersects with the 'real world') and failing/refusing to properly clairify where his fiction begins and ends ("always tell the truth"). This is quite different from, say, the editor in Pale Fire, who is most definitely a construct of that fictional world; or from Fargo which, like every Hollywood movie that claims to be 'based on a true story" really means "yeah, there's some part of this that was real. There really was this female cop in North Dakota once, ya?"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read grant morrison and jon j. muth's the mystery play, which is fabulous. i'm probably going to re-read it, since it seems like it would lend well to that.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
failing/refusing to properly clairify where his fiction begins and ends

oddly, this is what i really liked about robert anton wilson. and pynchon for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I agree that much of the Dan Brown problem is caused by weak-minded readers who take his work to be based in solid fact rather than fiction, but it still doesn't absolve the author of failing to create a convincing reality

I'm much more apt to agree with you on those points.

Re: Fargo

It's interesting in this case because unlike most of those Hollywood movies that claim to be based on a true story, it doesn't even have the foundation of one. The Coens wrote an entirely original screenplay, and then thought it would be interesting to slap on the 'true story' disclaimer to the opening.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more interesting in Fargo is how all the parties involved act and react like they'd expect to in a Hollywood thriller film, with pathetic and sometimes hilarious results. The only person who doesn't is Marge Gunderson, the pastiche of the local, simple, but not stupid, police officer.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Camus...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man. Which works of his?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently reading the magus by john fowles. it's good. i highly recommend the collector if you can handle it (it's virtually a short story).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished up The Agricola and The Germania. The end of The Agricola was kind of sad, in a good way, while Tacitus's ignorance of geography makes The Germania really dramatic (the edge of the world!) and fun.

I'm still finishing up A Demon-Haunted World, but Carl, as interesting as he is, can't hold my interest for too-too long recently. I'm also going through Hellenistic and Roman Sparta: A Tale of Two Cities. A good book that is proof that some people should just write how they write, regardless of how dry it is, because trying to be poetic when you aren't is just painful for the reader.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTN: dessgeega!

I have uploaded a CBR version of the comic adaptation of City of Glass. I know you can get it off of Home of the Underdogs, but version presented there is a PDF file, and has very small pages, and thus, small print. This file is easier to read, and has larger images.

Everyone else is of course invited to enjoy, as it's pretty damn good. I'll probably have to read the book afterwards. That is, once I've finished the The Illuminatus! Trilogy and Dante's Inferno along with the Aeneid for my class on Virgil.

Last edited by Dracko on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working bbcode pls ;_;

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted too soon. It still had a couple of minutes to go before fully uploaded.

But it's there now!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Dante's Inferno in HS and really enjoyed it, the re-read it a few years later and still enjoyed it. It's one of the few books which I have managed to read twice and enjoyed it both times (the list of books I've actually read twice is really small).

I had to read the Aeneid for latin class and found it pretty dry. The content is pretty good from an overview perspective, but it's just not very fun to read.

EDIT: What the hell is a CBR file?

PS: Inferno is not a stand-alone book as you probably know. I tried both purgatory and paradise... didn't much like them. Milton's Paradise Lost is pretty good too if you're going for a whole relgion fiction kick.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I read Dante's Inferno in HS and really enjoyed it, the re-read it a few years later and still enjoyed it. It's one of the few books which I have managed to read twice and enjoyed it both times (the list of books I've actually read twice is really small).

I had to read the Aeneid for latin class and found it pretty dry. The content is pretty good from an overview perspective, but it's just not very fun to read.

Shapermc wrote:
Inferno is not a stand-alone book as you probably know. I tried both purgatory and paradise... didn't much like them. Milton's Paradise Lost is pretty good too if you're going for a whole relgion fiction kick.

Yeah, they're both working for me so far, though I can't see myself re-reading The Aeneid any time soon afterwards. The most unfortunate thing however is the course itself, and it's teacher, who insists on imposing some kind of post-modern irony on our study of the text, and wants us to assume it's pacifist in tone. It's insulting, and the claim that somehow Virgil writing a "simple" epic would make him a lesser writer is preposterous in many ways.

This sort of wishy-washy leftist baiting is what I get for taking a humanities course. My contemporary drama and film course isn't much better, but at least me and my teacher can drone on about extreme cinema and hyperviolence all we want without the usual platitude ("Violence doesn't solve anything!") being tossed in.

I would like to read Paradise Lost eventually, yes.

Shapermc wrote:
What the hell is a CBR file?

A comic book archive file. Simply, it contains images. You can unzip it like any other file, or open it with CDisplay or the like for full size, full screen reading of its contents, which I recommend.

This comic reminds me of IF, for some reason, and is worth checking if only for all the talk of post-modernism that's been going around lately.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Good man. Which works of his?

The Rebel. I never liked Camus and continue to dislike him now, though this book does have certain flashes of brilliance.

A book that I recently finished and heartily recommend is Jung Chang's Wild Swans. A delicious piece of Chinese history at its finiest: plenty of death and cruelty, with the cruelty of pre-Revolutionary China spiced up by the more exotic cruelty of the Cultural Revolution. A very "wild" feast indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the dislike?
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Why the dislike?

I find that a lot of his work is overblown and melodramatic, like something out of teenagers diary, and filled with that gauzy paradox-mongering that makes a lot of mid-century French writing unreadable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an English translation? Because, for all its absurdist themes, I never felt like there was overblown melodrama in Camus' fictions, at least in the original French. Perhaps maybe in his shorts and theatre pieces, but not in his main works.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Is this an English translation? Because, for all its absurdist themes, I never felt like there was overblown melodrama in Camus' fictions, at least in the original French. Perhaps maybe in his shorts and theatre pieces, but not in his main works.

I've read him in translation, so that probably accounts for it. Yet...I'll also lay some of the blame on the old bastard, I really don't find him all that great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a far sight better than Sartre ever was.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only read The Stranger, so this might be off-topic, but I've read it in both French and English, and I take the melodrama in it as very tongue-in-cheek. Specifically, when Meursault kills the Arab, the way he is overwhelmed by his own angst and the bright glare from the sun is a laughable melodrama rather than a serious one. It is as spiteful as can be written; Camus virtually kicks him in the head and then glances at the reader for a shared chuckle.

But that kind of thing might not be what you are talking about at all.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In French at least, Meursault always came off as detached, not angst-ridden. It's only towards the end, in a social situation he is unfamiliar with, and confronted by a chaplain, where he snaps out. Even then, it's more anger than angst, though it does allow him insight into his existential condition, for which he is grateful for. You're not supposed to laugh ta him any more than you are supposed to empathise with him: He's a sociopath. What Camus promotes in his works is an attempt at understanding, and as pathetic as Meursault may seem to some, I don't feel like Camus wants us to laugh at his expense or hate him.

I've never really found traces of angst in Camus' works, at least not in an adolescent, petulant way. The Plague and The Fall both present ways to deal with the perceived absurdity of life and The First Man in particular, incomplete as it is, not only provides insight into Camus' own issues but also into his desired state of solace. Hos shorts and dramas were more condensed, and perhaps even more intense (Caligula engineering his own assassination springs to mind), so them getting a bit over-emotional didn't worry me.

Just because a novel is existential or caught in the issue of absurd doesn't make it angsty. Camus and Beckett are two such existential writers who seem to go against the grain, and unsurprisingly enough, both of them rejected the existentialists.

I really can't stand Sartre. If his political posturing wasn't bad enough, his works come of as childish as you can get in matters of existential angst. I'd rather read Nietzsche: At least the crazy Kraut knew how to laugh and write.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Just because a novel is existential or caught in the issue of absurd doesn't make it angsty.

I wouldn't dream of linking those two ideas causally. My comment had little to do with existentialism or the notion of an existentialist hero and everything to do with how I interpreted Meursault as a character.

I agree that Meursault is an absolute sociopath, but I think he's much more involved than detached. "Aujourd'hui Maman est morte." is as blunt and impersonal a way to deal with death as any, but somehow the use of "Maman" always persuaded my viewpoint of Meursault as emotionally charged, but impotent and frustrated in the way he handled those emotions. The killing of the Arab, in my reading, is a laughably misdirected climax of despair, but a despair unique to Meursault and in no way representative of the human condition.

Last edited by helicopterp on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've always used "Maman" in the same way as a American child might use "Sir" to refer to their father. I've never considered it all that involved.

Though I do agree there may be an issue of misdirected grief. In fact, it was something I explored in one of my dissertations, and is evidenced by the last few words in the book, when he claims to have reached an understanding of how his mother felt when about to pass away. But I didn't find that it was purely on those terms that he gunned the man down. There seems to be more to it than that, and the sunlight inspiring him (Sun and heat are recurring themes in Camusian fiction) towards the revelation intrinsic to his execution overshadows his inability to reasonably emote. It's just as conceivable to identify the Arab man in question as a potential threat, in light of how they met.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
In fact, it was something I explored in one of my dissertations

'One of'? Is there a different, British sense of the word dissertation? I have always thought of it as kind of a one-time deal. P.S. I might be really interested in reading it.

Quote:
(Sun and heat are recurring themes in Camusian fiction)

Those silly Algierians.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do two because administration here is to the dogs and I ended up doing a course which involved writing one alongside my standard one. Both in French, no less. It's a long and tedious story which reflects academic incompetence and I'm still caught in the throes of it.

The relevant one in question was an awkward deal because I tried to cover every single facet of Camus' works, and due to silly word counts, could only ever handle the odd detail here or there. It's a pretty sophomoric effort, I find, and not anywhere near the level I'd hope to achieve eventually.

helicopterp wrote:
Those silly Algierians.

French Algerians, sir.

P.S. An interview about Warren Ellis' upcoming novel, Crooked Little Vein. I hadn't heard much about this, but if this is anything to go by, it could be promising: A lot of Ellis' best works are of the pulp, Weird crime/detective fiction (Desolation Jones and Fell) variety, perhaps even more so than his pure sci-fi stuff (Global Frequency and Ministry of Space). The interview is worth the read if only for the quips on America and the comments on the Internet's role in modern fiction-writing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I’ve been reading V for Vendetta based on Dracko’s words about it being better than the movie (which was unmemorable at best). It also helps that I now consider From Hell to be one of the best books I’ve ever read (same author).

Luckily I read the intro for this book where Alan Moore says something to the effect of “in the beginning of this project I was young and dumb, so please excuse it being less than good.” The first book is at times very generic, and at other times the writing is even poor. I have just gotten a few chapters into the second book and it seems to be a step up, but I hope it gets better.

Honestly, to me, it seems like the movie covered the first book fairly well, though I assume that’s not the point.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't. The comic is a Thatcher-era parable. The movie a NO BLOOD FOR OIL BUSH DID 9/11 screed.

It gets better, but you do have to keep in mind that, yes, it's an early work. I still think it's better than The Watchmen. The film was politically clueless and insultingly stupid. You'll find that Moore, for all his adolescent anarchist tendencies in the book, never lets himself get ideologically shrouded or deluded. He won't tell you anarchy is easy. It asks a simple question, and it expects you, as a reader, to be smart enough to answer yourself. The film allows nothing of the sort, and just wants you to cheer on a strawman form of fascism being torn down and replaced with another form of fascism, with extra cult of personality bonus points, as if it was somehow preferable to the obvious liberal subtext it attempted to convey.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It isn't. The comic is a Thatcher-era parable. The movie a NO BLOOD FOR OIL BUSH DID 9/11 screed.

That's what put me off the most about the movie, actually. I didn't mind it as a whole and enjoyed most of it, but I thought that translating Moore's comments on 1980's England to 2000's America displayed a stunning lack of imagination on the part of the Wachowskis, not that this surprised me. Any hack with half a brain can take a story about an insincere government's ambitions for war and twist it to "LOL THIS IS ABOUT AMERICA SEE HOW CLEVER I AM!!!!" But it takes a fair amount of wit to pull off a plot of that type where the audience doesn't leave the theater feeling like they've had someone else's particular ideological take on the state of the world hammered into their head for the past two hours.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be an ass and say that it's about right for the "depth" of the Wachowskis.

NOTE: I am fairly bitter because I worked in a company where every man jack went butt-nuts about the mind-destroying revelations of The Matrix, which reached an utter nadir with the 50-something CEO who had given VPs to a number of people from his church picked up on this and gave a well-received corporate pitch while wearing a floor-length trench coat, ridiculous suglasses and comparing "us" to the red pill and Microsoft to the blue pill, or however it's supposed to go.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd agree full-heartedly. The Wachowskis have done nothing of worth, and are incapable of doing so. The first Matrix film was cool because, hey, live-action anime, albeit ripping off The Invisibles shamelessly. After that, it went right to their heads.

I don't know, the only superlative things to come out of that franchise were the Animatrix shorts World Record and Matriculated.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the second renaissance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I was too impressed with that. I own the Animatrix, but it didn't amaze me like the other two I mentioned. A Detective Story and Beyond were also quite good.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the second renaissance part 1 and it left my breathless. the only other one i saw was the cgi sexy duel which was gross and made me want to throw up all over the uncanny valley.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the majority of the shorts were damn pretty, but Second Renaissance's plot didn't sway me like World Record's and Matriculated's did.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was mostly because it made all these allusions to american slavery, trans hate violence, and zionism. i mean i guess it was pretty too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I noticed those, but they didn't feel as clever as they should have been, maybe? I enjoyed it, but not much food for thought beyond that, is all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the magus: holy fucking shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
The first Matrix film was cool because, hey, live-action anime, albeit ripping off The Invisibles shamelessly. After that, it went right to their heads.

I always thought of it as stealing from Neuromancer and Ghost in the Shell in equal measure with some superficially diluted Zen Buddhism thrown in so it's like, deep, man. Nonetheless, the first movie was enjoyable for what it was. After that, though...

What's The Invisibles?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the magus: holy fucking shit.

The John Fowles book? It's good is that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 14 of 23

Jump to: