The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The greatest tragic character of the 21st Century

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: The greatest tragic character of the 21st Century Reply with quote

People were interested in the Tachikoma Figures that I bought. I got mine from J-list before they sold out, and I know other people wanted some too. This store, which seems reputable enough, has the full set in stock (and cheaper than I paid too):

http://www.hlj.com/product/MOV30918
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these (a little too late on my way out) at my local comic shop. They're $5.99 each. Is that a good price?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $5 for each but since they came from Japan there was mad shipping. That price sounds fair!
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are great! coincidentally i just finished watching SAC for the third time yesterday.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am watching it now since nana sent me the dvds. she enclosed a tiny blue tachikoma. it is currently guarding my keyboard against villians and ne'er-do-wells.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt it the greatest show ever?
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the better and interesting, genuinely worthwhile, animes being shown at the moment.

The game is actually pretty damn good as well.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fairly big fan of both (or all three, now?) manga series as well as the two movies; I've also got the first SAC DVD which I have yet to watch the whole way through. How's the series, as a whole? My impression of the three episodes I've watched so far has been fairly positive--it feels a lot like the manga in its blend of science, humor and the philosophical, rather than drifting into the all-out, cyber-existentialism of the movies (not that I dislike thw movies, mind you). Does the series keep up the same general pace through to the end? And isn't the second series completed on R1 DVD as well? Is it any good?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first season is excellent. I think it's some of the best science fiction i have seen in a long time. It definitely keeps up the pace, I think this is helped by the idea of the "stand alone episodes" which are self-contained and interspersed between the major plot episodes.

The second season (which yes is all out in R1 DVD) is pretty good, but it focuses a lot more on action sequences to advance the plot (whereas the first had a lot more character drama) and so I didn't like it as much. I still liked it a lot.

I will say that while the first season explores the ideas of technology's influence on society, the second focuses on a more real-life type situation that wouldn't have to take place in 2034.

There is a third season or movie, something, called Solid State Society that is coming out this summer in R1 which I am highly anticipating!

Personally I didn't like either of the movies really. I thought they tried to cram far too much story into the first movie, and the second was a misdirected (albeit very pretty) mess. I haven't read the manga but I figure I'll get around to it eventually.

Still, the TV series fixes everything I didn't like about the movie and I highly recommend it.

And it has Tachikoma!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am about halfway through season 1. chat! chat! chat! is great, as is most of the laughing man stuff. and tachikoma runs away.

the protagonist is a poly dyke but her homelife is treated the same as every other character's. i am glad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first movie was pretty good, and beautiful to watch, with a fairly solid posthuman philosophical grasp. Unfortunately, the second one jumped the shark in that respect. The films were less obscure than the mangas in any case, but I far prefer the animated series on the whole.

I have no idea what you mean by poly dyke, dess, but she's certainly less blatant about her sexuality than she ever was in the mangas, which is more to the series' credit, I find.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how they subtly hint at it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get that definition.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyamorous, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I initially thought, but I figured that was too simple.
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
she's certainly less blatant about her sexuality than she ever was in the mangas, which is more to the series' credit, I find.

i remember reading somewhere that the only reason motoko is gay is because shirow masamune didnt want to draw a guys butt in one of the sex scenes.
The Soviet Onion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drunken samurai wrote:
i remember reading somewhere that the only reason motoko is gay is because shirow masamune didnt want to draw a guys butt in one of the sex scenes.

Truly this is a great step forward in the media's depiction of homosexuals.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masamune is a grody shit and the movie is gross.

the series isn't gross though. the serial killer episode was hard for me to watch however.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
the first season explores the ideas of technology's influence on society

Yeah. The TV show does a great job of exploring Masamune's ideas, with pacing and class that he's incapable of.

Also, fighting crime in a future time.
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
masamune is a grody shit and the movie is gross.

whats gross about it? i just watched the movie today and i didnt find anything gross about it(aside from the voice acting).

was it all the unnecessary nudity?

also,go see GITS2:innocence
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Ghost In The Shell. Some dude's heads blow off. Then some people do some dumb talking. Then some chick goes invisible. If you've read Isaac Azimov's wikipedia article then you've explored the themes of this movie in as much depth as the film does. Perhaps more. Except there's more emotional involvement because Isaac Asimov dies at the end.

I liked the sequence which was just a bunch of shots of buildings, though.

GITS:Innocence is one of those 2D movies which has 3D backgrounds. If I wanted to watch two movies at once I'd buy two TVs.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Innocence is horrible.
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
If you've read Isaac Azimov's wikipedia article then you've explored the themes of this movie in as much depth as the film does. Perhaps more. Except there's more emotional involvement because Isaac Asimov dies at the end.

what in the hell are you talking about.

Dracko wrote:

booooooooo
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drunken samurai wrote:

what in the hell are you talking about.

Allow me to elucidate.

Harveyjames wrote:
If you've read Isaac Azimov's wikipedia article then you've explored the themes of this movie in as much depth as the film does. Perhaps more.

Ghost in the Shell gives themes explored years before by sci-fi writers like Isaac Asimov and Phillip K. Dick a very tepid and shallow going-over. Here, I'm saying that for all the dull talking there is in this movie about the nature of human augmentation, cybernetic body replacement etc. it doesn't really raise any interesting points or explore them in any depth- no more so than Azimov's wikipedia article does.

But this is a movie, right? You can't expect a movie to do all these things! But Ghost in the Shell doesn't even provide a resonating emotional context for these issues, which is the one thing films like this can often do quite well.

Harveyjames wrote:
Except there's more emotional involvement because Isaac Asimov dies at the end.

Here I am cheekily implying that the Wikipedia article for Isaac Asimov is more moving than the whole of Ghost in The Shell! After all, in the biography section, we learn that the 'protagonist' Isaac Asimov dies of AIDS! That's a bit like something that might happen in a movie!! And since Ghost in the Shell is so bereft of identifiable characters and human interest, you may well say it's less moving than that Wikipedia article!!!

Does that help? If I didn't go into that much depth before, it's because Ghost in the Shell doesn't warrant any more than an offhand remark. If there's anything else you need me to explain to you, let me know.
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Does that help?

very much so yes,your original post read as if it said asimov literally wrote an article on wikipedia about GITS which led me to assume you were on drugs
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Fuck no, on a purely visual level it is stunning. On a mind-numbing plot level—well, I rather enjoyed it there, too. It is unrealized, mostly, but I find it to be a great background movie (i.e. I put it on and then start doodling).
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Fuck no, on a purely visual level it is stunning.

yeah definetly,the scene where batou's eyes are hacked in the conveinience store comes to mind.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't deny that. It's nice to look at (and has a lot of dogs), but the plot is pretty damn weak.
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through my stuff couple of months ago and discovered that I owned Innocence, which really shocked me for a moment, because I had completely forgot that I purchased it. and it's not like I have a large DVD collection. I actually only own around 7 or 8 movies...

I liked seasons one and two of the series pretty well, but like most anime made for TV I feel like they would have benefited a lot from being more compact. The episodes that focus heavily on character development of Section 9 people were usually among my favorites.

As for the movies, I liked the first quite a lot when I was young (and still do!) but the sequel didn't do much for me either. Beyond a few neat moments and Batou's relationship with his Beagle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: