The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for (post)modern games.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, I obviously don't understand post modern. Something which I thought I did, then didn't, then did again, and now don't.

That is one of any number of contending definitions.

So you are correct.

Insofar as there is such a thing as correct.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was thinking along the lines of a few scholarly essays and articles contributors could reference to establish a solid point of departure, facilitating a more literate discourse.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what the best free resource is for this sort of thing.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, that makes more sense.

The wikipedia article doesn't do a terrible job of explaining it, if you can wrap your head around the concepts. It also has a list of essayists and authors who have helped define the movement (or lack thereof).
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read at least two introductory books on postmodernism, and can't really understand it. hey "postmodernists" can't even settle on one way of writing it !! Is it postmodern POSTmodern, postMODERN or post-modern?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wikipedia surfing is awesome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-racist_math

(is this post postmodern? or is it reactionary bourgeois finger-pointing? OR IS IT BOTH?)
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia is great in that lately the vandalism seems to be worse than normal and I'll be reading something that suddenly starts making no sense, and upon refreshing the page it is corrected.

Like when headon was a blue ball reliever or Kurt Vonnegut participated in the Circle Jerking of Dresden.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, I obviously don't understand post modern. Something which I thought I did, then didn't, then did again, and now don't.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm convinced that a lot of people who prattle on about postmodernism in various academic or casual settings don't understand it either?
Nana Komatsu wrote:
You can find a lot of Murakami's short fiction online if you look, I can post links if people are interested. Here's one story, Tony Takitani.

<Entirely offtopic sidenote> Tony Takitani is also in the collection Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman that just came out this last August. It's somewhere around 25 stories, a handful of which have previously appeared in The New Yorker. Most of them are new to us folks on this side of the pond, tho. </Entirely offtopic sidenote>
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, it's irritating when people assume postmodern to be synonymous with awful, and are loud about it.

I have a hard time expressing exactly what I take to be postmodern or not, fair enough, and God knows I've read books on the subject. Generally, it's accepted as trends growing beyond, and often against, most other modernist ideas of the early and middle twentieth century. Don't ask me about modernism, especially in literature, because I've got even less of a grasp on that, beyond it being reactionary against romanticism and such.

I tend to view it as a hodgepodge of ideas with clear knowledge and acceptance of its influence, medium, genre trappings and so forth. It's hardly an infertile ground for thought in any case.

Chambers defines it as:

Quote:
a movement in the arts that takes many features of Modernism to new and more playful extremes, rejecting Modernism's tendency towards nihilistic pessimism and replacing it with a more comfortable acceptance of the solipsistic nature of life. There is also an inclination towards mishievous self-referentiality and witty intertextualizing.

which I find is more clear than most definitions and doesn't leave any of the pessimistic assumptions most people get out of pomo material.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people want a reasonable overview of Modernism, I could do that.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find that useful.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-Modernism is kind of funny.

I mean, if it would seem to be way paste its expiration date, unless you consider Modernism as kind of an ongoing optimistic thing about the potential of humankind.

And there are certainly aspects of it, especially (from my point of view) the 4th-wall-breaking and genre-self-awareness stuff that have become incredibly trite.

Personally, I think Post-Modernism died with this commercial, or should have.

What big movements have come after post-modernism? That's part of the thing I guess; as a movement "after" another movement, arguably neither of which are going away, it seems harder to make a new movement. Also, post-modernism itself, with its winking self-awareness and ironic detachment, is a too-easy way of making sincerity look silly, sometimes these other potential movements never have a chance.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernism in a nutshell:

PREAMBLE: Since "Modernism" covers a wide range of artists, artistic mediums and time, vague generalizations are the order of the day. Anything that you refer to as a "movement" is always a certain amount of cobbling together in hindsight. There are always exceptions and transition points (for example, Berlioz and Mahler are "bridges" between Romantic symphonic music and Modernist symphonic music, Impressionism was a transition form into more abstract art and Yeats was a bridge between Romantic and Modernist in poetry). Many people only associate "Modernism" with poetry, with "Modernist literature" being separate, as well as several visual arts movements. I like to lump it all together. Also, this is a dang forum post.

Most people associate the beginning of Modernism with the period around the turn of the century and the start of the First World War. While many Modernist writers, like Yeats, were working earlier, the "movement" as it were didn't really start to become something recognizable until this time.

Pre-WW1 Modernism concentrated on dynamsim and change from the "old order", as represented by the poetry of writers like Pound, the music of composers like Stravinsky and the paintings of artists like Kandinsky and the futurists. Emphasis was placed on abstraction and fracturing of conventional concepts like narrative and representation, the rejection of the ideals of the "old world" with the concept of using new techniques and new technology to create better art (like twelve-tone music) and more practical design (especially industrial design and architecture).

WW1 was the "death knell" of the Romantic era in that it represented the failure of "honor" and other highly upheld ideals that led to piles of bodies gunned down by machine-gun fire and veterans with reconstructed faces, flesh melted away from gas attacks. It also tempered the dynamic optimism of the early Modernist movements, in that it showed that "modern" life was not going to be all nice-looking chairs and a reenvisioning of rhyme and meter. From this came a dominating nihilism and cynicism and reinforced certain earlier tendencies like fascination with "mundane" matters like the basic functions of the body. The concentration on warping and abstracting representation and the human experience became thematically dominated by death and the grotesque.

Apart from the macabre, Modernism pre- and post-war was also obsessed with the de-humanization and alienation that are part of living in "modern society" (quotes mine), with emphasis on the absurdity and controlling nature of modern governments, especially in the light of the various political manueverings that took place between the wars. Modernism was never clearly on one side or another, with plenty of Modernists being involved with the Spanish Civil War and the arguable father of the movement, Ezra Pound, falling in with the Facist governments and eventually being captured as a prisoner of war in Italy (where he continued to write his Cantos, burning his flesh in a metal cage in a village courtyard).

Post WW2, as happens with all successful revolutions, Modernism became the norm. Depending on who you talk to, this is when Post-Modernism began, either as a reaction against or an extension of, Modernism. (This is of course more complex than a single sentence; however, there's probably enough references in this post to start down any number of roads and get there plus I'm gettin' tired.)

some Art movements associated with Modernism:

Imagism
Vorticism
Dada
Futurism
Cubism
Expressionism
Surrealism
Absurdism

some Artists associated with Modernism:

Ezra Pound (maybe the most Modernist dude ever)
T.S. Eliot
Gertrude Stein
Ernest Hemingway
James Joyce
W.B. Yeats
Wassily Kandinsky
Igor Stravinsky
Henry Cowell
Hilda Doolittle
Henri Gaudier-Brzeska
Franz Kafka
Garcia Lorca
Arnold Schoenberg
the Bauhaus design group
Le Corbusier
Albert Camus
Egon Schiele (and Klimt, except Schiele is way cooler)
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww yeah my boy Kafka up in this hizzay!
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
What big movements have come after post-modernism?

Post-post-modernism?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, uh, all videogames are postmodern. It's because games are a postmodern medium. That sounds horribly pretentious, it's not really.

Just think about it this way: you're never actually playing the game, you're playing a representation of the game as interpreted by the console and then through output fed to the player:

- video through screens
- sound through speakers
- tactile input through rumble or other methods

You never actually directly interact with the information on the cartridge/disk/storage medium. In a way, the act of playing a videogame is a microcosm of the whole postmodern understanding of "the text", with the information on the storage medium playing the role of artistic intention.

Okay, so maybe it's a little pretentious.

Ketch is probably asking about games that are postmodern thematically, so I'm not really being helpful.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought games as post-modern since there is never really any fourth wall to speak of.

Also I agree with Kirkjerk earlier. Most post-modern work I see these days is just boring and feels dated, but when it's good, it's really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
And, uh, all videogames are postmodern. It's because games are a postmodern medium. That sounds horribly pretentious, it's not really.

Just think about it this way: you're never actually playing the game, you're playing a representation of the game as interpreted by the console and then through output fed to the player:

- video through screens
- sound through speakers

You never actually directly interact with the information on the cartridge/disk/storage medium.

Um, doesn't pretty much every medium have this kind of thing? "ceci n'est pas un pipe" and all that jazz?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

- video through screens
- sound through speakers

You never actually directly interact with the information on the cartridge/disk/storage medium.

Um, doesn't pretty much every medium have this kind of thing? "ceci n'est pas un pipe" and all that jazz?

Kind of! Only with videogames you get to hold the object of interpretation, whereas in other mediums it's an abstract concept. I'm also a little confused about your referencing "ceci n'est pas un pipe" example, since the point of the painting is that it's a painting of a pipe, thus referencing the process of representation and interpretation. While it calls the interpretation of the text into question, you're still interacting with the text directly.

Or, to put it another way, the interpretation that is from the painter's brain to brushes on canvas to the eyes of the observer is different from the interpretation of code by a machine and then presented to the player through a TV (or handheld, etc.). The text is never observed directly. It's forever hidden away from the observer.

You could also say that videogames are a postmodern medium because they're the only kind of text that came into existence post-postmodernism.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Kind of! Only with videogames you get to hold the object of interpretation, whereas in other mediums it's an abstract concept. I'm also a little confused about your referencing "ceci n'est pas un pipe" example, since the point of the painting is that it's a painting of a pipe, thus referencing the process of representation and interpretation. While it calls the interpretation of the text into question, you're still interacting with the text directly.

Well, I thought you were going more into an idea of "platonic ideals" and stuff.

But now it reminds me of that bit from Goedel Escher Bach where one of the characters enjoys a phonograph record by slapping it on his belly... I mean he gets all the information, right? My point is, video games aren't unique in their need to have an interpretative mechanism, and you don't interact with the thing directly.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
But now it reminds me of that bit from Goedel Escher Bach where one of the characters enjoys a phonograph record by slapping it on his belly... I mean he gets all the information, right? My point is, video games aren't unique in their need to have an interpretative mechanism, and you don't interact with the thing directly.

That's a really good point. I feel like there's something about the interactive nature of videogames that makes their "black box" behavior significantly different than a CD player or phonograph; I can't quite think clearly about it right now though.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after postmodernism is farce. we live in the age of farce.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

That's a really good point. I feel like there's something about the [url]interactive [/url]nature of videogames that makes their "black box" behavior significantly different than a CD player or phonograph; I can't quite think clearly about it right now though.

Well, they *require* engagement from the viewer in order to let their narrative unfold; you can think of some kind of sculpture or artwork that might have a similar quality (i.e. the viewer has to do something like turn a crank or look in a box) but few of those will have a narrative per se.

Also, games are more likely to provide objectively different experiences for different viewers, instead of the differences being merely subjective, what the viewer "feels".

I'm not sure if that makes it post-modern, though that kind of forced involvement of the viewer is the fulfillment of an artistic goal; certainly a dummy can look at Guernica or have some Mozart playing ignored in the background, but experiencing Shadow of the Colossus is going to require effort from the viewer; co-operation, guided by the game designer but fulfilled by the player.

Cool, and important, but someone will have to argue the next step, that those factors are tied into post-modernism. (the relative conceptual slipperiness of postmodernism, at least on the non-facile levels beyond "breaking the 4th wall" and "aware of being in a specific genre", doesn't make it easy for me to think about.)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pop culture references in games!

Browsing VGMuseum, I'm noticing that roughly half the games that came out for the Amiga seem to have a reference to Bill and Ted or Wayne's World in the end credits.

Also I discovered this little gem:

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vigilante has some pretty great cutscenes.

when terrorists kidnap madonna, it's time to take the law into your own hands

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
So pop culture references in games!

Browsing VGMuseum, I'm noticing that roughly half the games that came out for the Amiga seem to have a reference to Bill and Ted or Wayne's World in the end credits.

Also I discovered this little gem:

Looks like the frown on hotlinking or something, so here's:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/amiga/b/rubi.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/amiga/a/lem2.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/amiga/a/mis2_2.htm
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/amiga/b/vigi.htm

Party on Wayne!
Perseus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So uh... anybody care to define the term "postmodern"? I used to think I knew what it meant, but reading this thread has me completely confused.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
So uh... anybody care to define the term "postmodern"? I used to think I knew what it meant, but reading this thread has me completely confused.

the best functional definition you're going to get is "describing any number of characteristics which came to be associated with culture and artworks dating after the end of the modern period", which isn't a very useful definition unless you're familiar with everything that happened in the modern period, and really everything else that happened before it, which is sort of the point.

one common general characteristic of postmodernity include (but most certainly are not limited to) a sense of a self-awareness of either the author, the conventions of the medium, or the work's place in culture and time. so things like "breaking the fourth wall" are common habits of postmodern works. following along these lines it's also characteristic for a postmodern work to deconstruct either itself or the way its entire medium works through its own creation -- ie a postmodern novel might deconstruct the idea of a novel through its narrative, or a postmodern album might deconstruct the idea of an album through the songwriting and recording technique.

this probably doesn't help your confusion with post modernity but, like I said, that's sort of the point of post modernity. it's defined by a lack of absolute reference point, so even when you try to define it there's nothing really solid to go by.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
one common general characteristic of postmodernity include (but most certainly are not limited to) a sense of a self-awareness of either the author, the conventions of the medium, or the work's place in culture and time.

While I do agree that this is commonly considered post-modernism (whatever that term means), it always struck me as odd. Theater has been doing this for a long time, dating back to Shakespeare and possibly before his time even. The idea of the Narrator as a player, plot changes that are limited by and reflect limitations in the presentation of the play, and so on are evident and have been long before modernism or post-modernism began.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
one common general characteristic of postmodernity include (but most certainly are not limited to) a sense of a self-awareness of either the author, the conventions of the medium, or the work's place in culture and time.

While I do agree that this is commonly considered post-modernism (whatever that term means), it always struck me as odd. Theater has been doing this for a long time, dating back to Shakespeare and possibly before his time even. The idea of the Narrator as a player, plot changes that are limited by and reflect limitations in the presentation of the play, and so on are evident and have been long before modernism or post-modernism began.

that's certainly true. I guess where the distinction would lie is that in plays its done as a sort convention or a necessity and its only purpose is to keep the narrative flowing smoothly, whereas in postmodern works it mostly serves to call attention to itself and to the entire absurdity of the medium's conventions.

that distinction doesn't always make sense, of course.
Perseus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
the best functional definition you're going to get is "describing any number of characteristics which came to be associated with culture and artworks dating after the end of the modern period", which isn't a very useful definition unless you're familiar with everything that happened in the modern period, and really everything else that happened before it, which is sort of the point.

one common general characteristic of postmodernity include (but most certainly are not limited to) a sense of a self-awareness of either the author, the conventions of the medium, or the work's place in culture and time. so things like "breaking the fourth wall" are common habits of postmodern works. following along these lines it's also characteristic for a postmodern work to deconstruct either itself or the way its entire medium works through its own creation -- ie a postmodern novel might deconstruct the idea of a novel through its narrative, or a postmodern album might deconstruct the idea of an album through the songwriting and recording technique.

this probably doesn't help your confusion with post modernity but, like I said, that's sort of the point of post modernity. it's defined by a lack of absolute reference point, so even when you try to define it there's nothing really solid to go by.

Yeah, that definition does jive with what little I've read about post-modernism before this, but it always makes me wonder- just what the heck is the point?

How many times can we deconstruct a medium before it all degenerates into a series of pointless stylistic exercises (I'm thinking of the Scream sequels right about now)?

And why would we want to deconstruct a medium- videogames- that has barely been constructed, in a fundamental sense?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be artsy and cool and appeal to the HARDCORE SERIOUS GAMERS who inhabit forums like this one.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.

When groups of people discuss postmodernism in media such as games and books, it also makes me think of that scene in The Princess Bride where Inigo remarks to Vizzini, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
How many times can we deconstruct a medium before it all degenerates into a series of pointless stylistic exercises (I'm thinking of the Scream sequels right about now)?

About as many times as you can write in a genre before you realise everything has been done and you're just being stale and not taking the extra leap. Scream was a shit series no matter how you look at it.

Perseus wrote:
And why would we want to deconstruct a medium- videogames- that has barely been constructed, in a fundamental sense?

The fact that it can and has been done goes to show that video games already have an identity of sorts, as infantile as some would consider it.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
When groups of people discuss postmodernism in media such as games and books, it also makes me think of that scene in The Princess Bride where Inigo remarks to Vizzini, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I don't know what the hell you're doing on these forums. Or do you not read most of the articles in the magazine? Guess what they're doing: Deconstructing, for the most part.

If we're wankers, then we're all wankers together.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

I don't know what the hell you're doing on these forums. Or do you not read most of the articles in the magazine? Guess what they're doing: Deconstructing, for the most part.

If we're wankers, then we're all wankers together.

Oh shit, I must have totally misread the mission statement in the board's FAQ, then! When Wes said that contributors "write about how and why they attach themselves to our hearts and minds in a way that no other form of media is capable of," I didn't know he really meant sitting around in a fairly exclusive faux-academic circle jerk blowing heavy-handed and arbitrarily-imposed theory out our asses and then act like these are concepts that all serious game players should ruminate upon while they're trying to Avoid Missing Ball for High Score!

You're right, maybe I shouldn't be here; my desire to write about personal experiences with games that go beyond the usual number-based reviews but still remain accessable to someone without a degree in lit theory is obviously flawed. I guess I'm just not smart enough for the hive mind.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
my desire to write about personal experiences with games that go beyond the usual number-based reviews

You know, this is actually a pretty major portion of what people mean by "deconstruction" and is a continuing theme in postmodern and post-structuralist theory.

Not that you really have to refer to it by formalist terms; to decry the academic movements because they're academic is about as bad as touting them because of their formalist elements.

Last edited by Scratchmonkey on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh shit, I must have totally misread the mission statement in the board's FAQ, then! When Wes said that contributors "write about how and why they attach themselves to our hearts and minds in a way that no other form of media is capable of," I didn't know he really meant sitting around in a fairly exclusive faux-academic circle jerk blowing heavy-handed theory out our asses and then act like these are concepts that all serious game players should ruminate upon while they're trying to Avoid Missing Ball for High Score!

have you read any of my articles?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Hey now. There's room enough for both things.

Also, Wes didn't write the mission statement, that was a group effort by the staff, he just posted it. Not to say he didn't have a hand in writing it, but it wasn't a solo effort is what I mean.

Did I mention that issue 8 comes out soon!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
When Wes said..

I uhh, didn't totally write that. I just posted it.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
You're right, maybe I shouldn't be here; my desire to write about personal experiences with games that go beyond the usual number-based reviews but still remain accessable to someone without a degree in lit theory is obviously flawed. I guess I'm just not smart enough for the hive mind.

And no. There aren't any REAL guidelines. If there were you'd think they'd be more like "bitch about mainstream games in the forums."

Also, really. I love this magazine, but I don't honestly believe it's a literary tome. At the very least it would need a bit more editing for that distinction.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest way to understand postmodernism is through modernism. When modernism started kicking around was when people really started to think and live globally. People started believing in a universal kind of perfection. With that you have all these philosophers who wanted to decipher the world and present it to the world in little pamphlets, artists who stopped using subject matter and drew red yellow and blue squares, and so on and so forth. Post modernism is named post modernism not because of a realization that universal perfection was impossible, but because of a rejection of universal perfection and an effort to realize the opposite. As such DuChamp follows Picasso only because Picasso came first chronologically. Any kind of "self awareness" or "awareness" of the medium is just a side effect of the rejection.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duchamp and Picasso were contemporaries.

Fountain was 1917 and Guernica was 1937, just to put their most famous works into perspective. Duchamp's art may have been more "postmodern" than what Picasso did, to claim that the former followed from the latter would be wrong.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Not that you really have to refer to it by formalist terms; to decry the academic movements because they're academic is about as bad as touting them because of their formalist elements.

I was going to say that I don't necessarily dislike academic movements just because they're academic, but then when I got to thinking about it, I suppose I do. I dislike this sort of discussion because it's not real, it's not tangible, it has no effect on the daily life of the average person. It's theory, for Pete's sake, and is absolutely useless anywhere outside of an academic setting. But I'm going out on a limb with the assumption that my intelligence is somewhat around normal--maybe truly intelligent people do try to deconstruct according to some theoretical movement every book they read, every movie they see, maybe even their own lives. But I don't, and I know very few people in real life that do. I mean, I guess if that makes me some sort of simpleton, then I'll have to come to terms with it eventually. But from my standpoint, I don't dislike these movements for being academic, but for the possibly erroneous assumption that understanding them holds any tangible value in my life.

Apologies for improperly crediting the mission statement; I figured it was probably a collaborative effort (Shaper said so later in that post) but as Wes was the poster I just attributed it to him as in "Wes posted this" and not so much "this is Wes' creation."
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way: if writing about subjective experiences with games (or any text, for that matter) is the end result, does how the writer got there matter? Does it change the end result if somebody gets there through formalism?

It does sound like you've got some kind of Issues with academia, since you've decided that it has no value simply because it's formalism, which suggests all kinds of things to me that I'd rather not get into on the Intertron with somebody I don't know; I will say that I find that kind of attitude as equally disturbing as that of the most head-up-his-own-ass graduate student.

(Or to put it another way: we're talking about videogames, which have no real practical application to anybody's life. So what makes this intagibility more worthwhile than the intangibility of formalism?)
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah damn, I knew I shouldn't have put the word post in my post.

Anyway, I think that one of the main points of postmodernist stuff is that it points out that it is only telling a story about one tiny subset of the population. Ie. That it is talking about white rich men, rather than poor sub-saharan women's lives, or eskimo's or Japanese Gangsters. It tries to stop the establishment of broad assumptions about things.

Anyway, having 'done' university, a French degree no-less. I have a bit of a grudge against Sartre, Lacan, Marguerite Duras, Simone de Beauvoir, Camus, Rousseau, etc.
Perseus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Anyway, I think that one of the main points of postmodernist stuff is that it points out that it is only telling a story about one tiny subset of the population. Ie. That it is talking about white rich men, rather than poor sub-saharan women's lives, or eskimo's or Japanese Gangsters. It tries to stop the establishment of broad assumptions about things.

That jogs my memory a bit. So we're talking about how postmodernism rejects the idea of "Grand Narrative" and instead focuses on local narratives that are highly situated in particular places and times?

How does that figure into games? Narrative-wise, they seem to fit right into the modernist mode of thinking, at least from what I can see. Save the world, rescue the princess, kill the dragon, restore the status quo, etc.

On the other hand, we have The Sims, GTA (as long as you're not playing the missions), maybe MMOs (since you can't have grand save-the-world narratives in that genre of game by default), MGS2 and I suppose Killer7 (which I haven't played).

I'm not so convinced about Mother 2, for all its quirks and breaking-of-fourth-wall elements, you're still a kid on a mission to save the world from the ultimate evil. And I say this as someone who would quite sincerely list the game on my top 10 favourites list.

If we accept that games are a postmodern medium, as Scratchmonkey argues (and I think I do agree with his argument), why then haven't we moved past the most basic, archetypal kinds of stories?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we accept that games are a postmodern medium, as Scratchmonkey argues (and I think I do agree with his argument), why then haven't we moved past the most basic, archetypal kinds of stories?

maybe that depends on the games you play. experience being part of the story and all. the story being a framework for the experience. moments. etc.

deja vu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

maybe that depends on the games you play. experience being part of the story and all. the story being a framework for the experience. moments. etc.

deja vu.

Actually I was generalizing horribly when I wrote that.

Still! Most games do have archetypal stories, doncha think?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really. (you can find archetypes in anything if you distill long enough; i.e. white noise is by don delillo is the grail mythos with the main character's son as parsifal) but i don't pay that much attention to the stories. or another way, the stories people tell about games are different than the stories people tell about movies or books, because they're buried in the experience of playing it, player skill levels, etc. my experience of fear, for example, has little to do with the story and a lot to do with the environment, with which i interact in various ways, depending on difficulty levels, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

I was going to say that I don't necessarily dislike academic movements just because they're academic, but then when I got to thinking about it, I suppose I do. I dislike this sort of discussion because it's not real, it's not tangible, it has no effect on the daily life of the average person. It's theory, for Pete's sake, and is absolutely useless anywhere outside of an academic setting.

It should be pretty obvious that videogaming as a whole is, likely, not one of humankind's most useful endeavours. At best it achieves what art is achieves, which is: not much from a practical standpoint.

The academic analysis is...well, at the very least, it's rarely scholastic wankery for its own sake. Despite the broad brush the anti-PC, anti-intellectual crowd will use to mock the excessive verbiage and needlessly complex analysis you do run into from time to time, the truth is the really bad instances are actually rare, and most of this kind of analysis is meant to be pretty sincere. Sometimes that sincere analysis is just restating the obvious, but sometimes you need that to make an "obvious" idea more visible, that otherwise it would fade into the background. (Like, the way American culture has made the "default person" white and male, and has for decades; being aware of that kind of assumption, and thinking about its roots, has led to some shifts in societal outlook)
Quote:
But I'm going out on a limb with the assumption that my intelligence is somewhat around normal--maybe truly intelligent people do try to deconstruct according to some theoretical movement every book they read, every movie they see, maybe even their own lives. But I don't, and I know very few people in real life that do. I mean, I guess if that makes me some sort of simpleton, then I'll have to come to terms with it eventually. But from my standpoint, I don't dislike these movements for being academic, but for the possibly erroneous assumption that understanding them holds any tangible value in my life.

Well, it's easy, fun, and maybe even happier to be a kind of dumb guy who never engages in introspection or thoughtful analysis. At its best, that kind of dumb guyness leads to a sort of accidental daoism, an ability to just enjoy things as they are and not worry about it so much. Other folk find satisfaction in trying to think things through. This doesn't mean they're happy, but it provides certain other advantages.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I guess I'm just not smart enough for the hive mind.

I've seen no academic circle-jerking as of yet. If I did, I probably wouldn't be hanging around these boards. Now you're just getting petulant and deliberately misreading. The reason I made such a comment is because of your dismissal of terms which are in fact very useful to understanding what games are, or more importantly, what we would like games to become.
dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bettar graphix = modernism, wario ware = dada, Wii = postmoderism, neXt-gen vs. sustainable gen = WWII
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: