The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Board Games Reply with quote

We've talked a little about them before, but does anyone have any board games to recommend? I'm always looking for new ones.

You can see my current collection here, and I just ordered three more that I've been wanting to get for quite a while (images are not mine--they are from Boardgamegeek.com):

Nexus Ops

Shogun

Modern Art

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like samurai, and really need to try euphrat & tigris someday. i like cheapass games a lot in theory but find them lacking in execution. i'm interested in hive, which is apparently like chess without the board, and lord of the rings: the confrontation, which is apparently an asymmetrical stratego.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a fair amount of Settlers of Catan and other non-traditional board games, the names of which do not come to me right now.

While not a board game, I have had much fun at gatherings playing Apples to Apples and feel a strong affinity for games by Out of the Box because they're based in Wisconsin.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Carcassonne and Robo Rally, although it can be hard to find people who are willing to play the latter, since it can be a little obtuse and takes a long time.

Apples to Apples is also really good. I was recently introduced to Speed Scrabble, which goes as follows:

- Everybody draws seven tiles
- After somebody says 'Go!', you start arranging your seven tiles into words that interconnect
- Once somebody arranges all of their tiles into interconnecting words, they yell 'Done!' and everybody immediately has to grab another tile
- The game continues until you can't take any more tiles, scoring is as per regular Scrabble with points deducted for your loose tiles

The most important aspect of playing board games for me is the other people involved. I'm lucky enough to have a number of close personal friends who also happen to be interested in getting together and playing board games, which means that it's like a regular get-together, only you're playing a game. Too much of the time social gatherings like the typical university gaming club are a collection of social idiots and it becomes difficult to enjoy actually playing the game because it becomes completely about interpersonal conflicts.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I've played tons of Diplomacy back in the day. This is much harder to get going than other games because you really need a lot of time and 7 people who are all equally into the game and aren't likely to drop out. We actually played this as part of our International Relations class in high school, with every Friday being a session of Diplomacy rather than the regular lecture. The teacher was very happy when we actually managed to produce a balance of power (England and Turkey were two large powers with Italy, Germany and Russia (me) being smaller powers, meaning that we basically controlled our original allotment while the two big guys controlled the northwest and southeast corners of the board, the way it worked out in the end is that all 3 of the small guys would throw their weight toward whoever of the big dogs was doing better, keeping either one of them from winning the game).
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Euphrat & Tigris, but I've never tried it. (I bought it used from a friend a couple years ago.) I just learned of Samurai earlier today. It looks like fun. I've also been curious about Hive.

One important thing I learned about Apples to Apples is that you should end the game after the recommended number of rounds. People generally have fun playing and want to go longer, but this can lead to burnout.

I've always liked Diplomacy in theory, but I don't think I have the personality for it. I played it once or twice and just couldn't bring myself to be mean and deceptive enough to do well.

I think Carcassonne is a perfect game to show people who think they don't like board games because all they've seen is Monopoly or whatever.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I don't get to excited about the theme of a board game, but the stone age version of Carcassonne looks exciting.

I have started loving Settlers of Catan and I have enough friends into board games to easily set up a game on a weekend. Need to find a board for a decent price though, its surprisingly difficult. I'm tempted to just make one myself.

I've only played 4000 AD twice in my life because it disappeared somewhere at a family cottage but it stuck me as an exceptionally interesting strategy game. This one I might want to make a home version of as well.
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guiness Book of World Records game was really good.

There were several minigames played with rubber bands and so on.
Different games for determining slowest/fastest, longest/shortest, biggest/smallest, etc.

What a cleverly made game.

I wish I still had it.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like pente and scrabble.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Rico was the name of the game I could not remember. Also I remember playing a game called "Towers" or something like that where you build said towers.

Over Christmas I played a lot of Boggle with my mom. She's been wanting to play board games with me whenever I'm home and for years we never did, so to make up this year we played Boggle just about every night.
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Puerto Rico was the name of the game I could not remember.

Puerto Rico looks (from the outside of the box) and sounds as if it would be boring, but it's really an excellent game. I've played it probably around thirty times now.

Also, my board game order was delayed so I added Samurai to it.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo! samurai is pretty nifty.

puerto rico is probably the most talked-up game on boardgamegeek. it looks kind of intimidating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dr. Laura Game has always been a big hit at parties, but I think its production was discontinued.

A couple of years ago I learned how to play Mah Jongg from some Cantonese kids and now I can't get enough of it. It's all mental, and once you get the mathematics and the flow of the game down there's a lot of psychological business going on, even moreso than poker. It's a lot of fun; better than board games really. But in Iowa, ehh, not so many people know how to play.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Dr. Laura Game

i think i would lose that game :(
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every once in a while, gameLab hold game night, which is when folks are invited to their studio to play games... board games to be specific. Its usually lots of fun, but I've becoming increasingly annoyed how everyone goes on about Settlers of Catan and how great it is, which makes me want to play, then they all go "it'll take too long for you to learn... let's try something else." Talk about cock blocking. So I end up just playing Tetris, the board game instead.

I'm bringing a guest this time, and since I know you frequent these boards, I choose you dmauro.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does DnD with minatures count?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetris the board game?

i will play chess with anyone who wants, but my real love is backgammon. a close third is dominoes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settlers really doesn't take that long to learn. I mean, you'll probably lose in the first game or so you play, just because everybody else would know the longer-term strategies or so, it's something that you can definitely pick up fairly quickly.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
Every once in a while, gameLab hold game night, which is when folks are invited to their studio to play games... board games to be specific. Its usually lots of fun, but I've becoming increasingly annoyed how everyone goes on about Settlers of Catan and how great it is, which makes me want to play, then they all go "it'll take too long for you to learn... let's try something else."

That's odd. Settlers of Catan is often viewed as a "gateway" game into the realm of European style board games because it's easy to explain and fun for beginners. I've explained it many times to non-gamers and it's never seemed to drag or confuse anyone.

I haven't played any of the recent board games based on video games, but they remind me of some of those old ones such as Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. They were probably not very good games, but I remember that it was fun just to play with the pieces. I'd never heard of the Tetris board game. I just looked it up, and it doesn't seem to have very good reviews. I'd still be curious to try it, though.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i will play chess with anyone who wants, but my real love is backgammon. a close third is dominoes.

You might like a series of abstract strategy games called project GIPF. Each has a unique theme and mechanic. My current favorites are DVONN and ZČRTZ, but I haven't played a couple of them enough yet to form a real opinion of them.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetris was sort of a board game to begin with, though, wasn't it?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'tetrad' shapes came from a board game, but it lacked the magic ingredients of time and pressure.

Man that Tetris documentary was good.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked the giant cardboard tetrads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should let them teach you how to play Carcasonne first, and then they can ease you into Settlers. I will make sure this happens when I go with you.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A somewhat violent board game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsYhORsQPo

I guess this probably belongs in the videos found on the Internet thread rather than this one.
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
A somewhat violent board game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsYhORsQPo

I guess this probably belongs in the videos found on the Internet thread rather than this one.

Obladi-Oblada

I knew I recognized this.

I could be wrong, though.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me anything about Puerto Rico? It seems interesting to me, but is it anything a casual not-really-gamer (aka girlfriend) might have the patience to enjoy? Or is it one of those "could be played with 2 people but needs 4 to be any fun" deals to begin with?
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Can someone tell me anything about Puerto Rico? It seems interesting to me, but is it anything a casual not-really-gamer (aka girlfriend) might have the patience to enjoy? Or is it one of those "could be played with 2 people but needs 4 to be any fun" deals to begin with?

Puerto Rico was designed for a minimum of three players, but there's some sort of official 2-player variant that I've never tried, personally. I don't know that I'd recommend this game as an introduction to board games for someone who isn't really interested in them, unless I could be reasonably sure that it's one of those people who only thinks that they aren't interested because they've never played a decent one before. It's a very good game, though, and I think even someone who isn't especially enthusiastic about trying it could enjoy it--one of my brothers almost never plays board games, but he likes to play Puerto Rico.

Lost Cities is a quick and relatively simple 2-player game that I highly recommend. It typically runs about $10-15 USD, and I think it's one that casual (or non) gamers can enjoy.

The same guy who designed Lost Cities (Reiner Knizia) also designed a 2-player variant of Carcassonne called Carcassonne: The Castle that I've been wanting to try.
wourme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double-post, but I thought someone might be interested in this. The game Nexus Ops (which you can read about here) is only $11 right now. (It's going out of production.) You can get it here at Amazon.com. I'd describe it as a sort of a cross between Axis and Allies and Starcraft..

Also, thanks dessgeega for recommending Samurai. I think it's a good game and I recently used it to convert some extended family members to playing board games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: