The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UnOfficial TGQ Wii Game Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but I figured there would be a little more titles for the loner gamer. I mean, I love playing this thing multiplayer, but sometimes I want to spend time alone with my wii in my bedroom.

Even so, the line-up is still rather poor (and looks like it will be poor for the next six months) even if you want to just multiplay.

Maybe I'll get a 360!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
tony hawk's single-player totally exists just to unlock stuff for multi-player. the wii is definitely a multiplayer-focused console, with the exception of zelda (which is a gamecube game, after all). it's definitely not a machine to play when no other people are around.

;_;

Maybe it's good that I don't have one yet, as to delay my feeling bad about not having friends to play games with?
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part that's true, but THDJ is a game I'm enjoying for the single player, too.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
tony hawk's single-player totally exists just to unlock stuff for multi-player. the wii is definitely a multiplayer-focused console, with the exception of zelda (which is a gamecube game, after all). it's definitely not a machine to play when no other people are around.

;_;

Maybe it's good that I don't have one yet, as to delay my feeling bad about not having friends to play games with?

Nana, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Look, we'll all pretend to play multiplayer games with you on the Wiis that we too haven't managed to buy yet. Imagineer that!

Now I hope I never have to see that sad, sad, sad, sorry, sad emoticon from you again, okay?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly?

three of the four titles i'm one-hundred-percent looking forward to for the wii in 2007 are all single player (mario galaxy, no more heroes, and super paper, with smash bros. as the arbiter). granted, my entire VC purchasing mentality is "buy multiplayer stuff," so i guess i see where you (they?) are coming from.

mainly i just don't want to buy more remotes; those things are expensive. give me a $10 mario party 2 that i can play with controllers i already have, i beg you guys.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I wish I knew how to give good massages. It's a good thing I'm so incredibly handsome, so it doesn't matter that much.

I hear you can learn how on the internet. Not like a pro, maybe, but well enough to impress women.

Which is all that really matters.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
smash bros. as the arbiter

to read this completely differently from how you intended it, i'd love to be able to play the arbiter from twilight princess in smash bros. brawl.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Swing Golf Update.

With about 5 more hours in it since last time I can say that I enjoy this game quite a bit. It's far from perfect, it has a pretty steep learning curve, and the controls are kind of counter-intuitive but it all works really well once you get into it a little.

An initial thought of mine about the game has been confirmed: Pangya Festival (the first option on the single player list) is not what you should play first. The other two following options are Stroke Play and Match Play. Stroke Play is what you should play first to get use to the game. This is standard one-player golf (or so I imagine) where it’s you, your clubs, your skill, and the course.

The main problem is that you need to unlock courses through the story (pangya festival) mode to play them in Stroke Play mode. The first course that you will compete on in story mode is already unlocked in stroke play though, so as a starter it’s ready and you basically master the course in stroke play then move over and get challenged on a select few holes in story mode to move on. Story mode is more like proving your skill and mastery of the course than being the tool that drives the game forward.

Anyways, with that aside, I have gotten use to all the controls that seem counter-intuitive at first. They are now very easy to manage and I can line up shots within seconds where it use to take me quite a bit longer. I’ve also gotten very use to the marking for the green which makes putting easier, and I don’t miss anywhere near as bad/much as before.

I wish there were a few more options though. For one I would like to be able to save halfway through a stoke play match so that I could turn the console off for the night (18 holes in one sitting will take about 40-60 min.). I also would have liked to have been able to practice a single hole that I am having problems with, or want to learn how to use the scenery for trick shots.

All small things aside this game is very robust and well put together: making up for all the short-comings and a bit more. There are 16 courses (I think?) which are all quite different due to the fantasy setting of the game. There are many different characters, clubs, caddies, balls, and ultimately tons of clothes. On top of all that there are a lot of little misc. unlocks like art. After getting past the abrasive introduction to the game I feel that it opens into something very good.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
After getting past the abrasive introduction to the game I feel that it opens into something very good.

I'm convinced that the only reason anyone would possibly enjoy this game is a lack of a frame of reference. Please, please play Hot Shots Golf on the PSP or Hot Shots 3 on the PS2. You said above that you played Mario Golf back in the day. What did you think of that one?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm convinced that the only reason anyone would possibly enjoy this game is a lack of a frame of reference. Please, please play Hot Shots Golf on the PSP or Hot Shots 3 on the PS2. You said above that you played Mario Golf back in the day. What did you think of that one?

I've dicked around with HSG on a few occasions, and it's ok, but so simple it's boring. I enjoyed Mario Golf and know that it is the same exact game as HSG, but this isn't HSG. I don't want HSG. I thik that your frame of refence is messing up your head, feeling that just because something is done one way well that no one should ever deviate from that scheme. No game is perfect, and being able to seperate itself from HSG will allow for a wider range of golf gamers to enjoy it side by side with the standard HSG or Tiger Woods:PGA.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
No game is perfect, and being able to seperate itself from HSG will allow for a wider range of golf gamers to enjoy it side by side with the standard HSG or Tiger Woods:PGA.

Ok, ignore Hot Shots Golf. How about Links 2004? Mario Golf GBA? True Swing Golf? Wii Sports Golf? Golden Tee arcade? These are all a lot better than Super Swing for the simple fact that they are actually user friendly. Super Swing Golf Reminds me of Jack Nicholson Golf on the NES, the T&E Soft SNES Golf games, and the CD-i Golf game. They're all technically golf, but they artificially obfuscate the user-interface to the point that it takes away from something that could be much better.

I haven't played it yet, but if you're actually able to enjoy Super Swing you might get some fun out of that Real World Golf game that came out for the Xbox and PS2 last year. From what I hear it sounds like it probably fulfills everything you're getting out of Super Swing and goes a step further by actually improving your real golf game.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf? That's the gold standard for me.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Ok, ignore Hot Shots Golf. How about Links 2004? Mario Golf GBA? True Swing Golf? Wii Sports Golf? Golden Tee arcade? These are all a lot better than Super Swing for the simple fact that they are actually user friendly.

I haven't played it yet, but if you're actually able to enjoy Super Swing you might get some fun out of that Real World Golf game that came out for the Xbox and PS2 last year. From what I hear it sounds like it probably fulfills everything you're getting out of Super Swing and goes a step further by actually improving your real golf game.

The only thing "wrong" with SSG is that the camera controls take a little time to get use to. Let me know when any of these games* actually replicate real golf swings, ho'k? Spend more than 30 minutes with the game before you find such extream outrage with it. Or better yet, play against me one time. It's not that SSG isn't user friendly, it's just quite different so it takes a little getting use to. They also jammed a few too many controls into a limited control scheme. Your statment, "it sounds like it probably fulfills everything you're getting out of Super Swing," is so completly innacuate because of the input device that is used. Yes, that is the whole damn reason for me playing a sports game.

*barring Wii golf, which sucks for putting and only has 9 exceptionally bland/similar holes and three clubs.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Your statment, "it sounds like it probably fulfills everything you're getting out of Super Swing," is so completly innacuate because of the input device that is used. Yes, that is the whole damn reason for me playing a sports game.

Do you even know what I was talking about with that sentence? I'm talking about Real World Golf, which comes with a Golf version of the Wii Remote that (supposedly) replicates a Golf Swing better than Super Swing.

If you're looking for immersion through accessory that may just be the way to go. Unless of course the game is as half-assed as Super Swing, in which case you should probably wait for a good golf game to come out for the Wii.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why is SSG "half-assed"?

Also, I can't see a more realistic golf game being any better, especially in the areas that piss you off (which seems to be completly tied to the camera).

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, why is SSG "half-assed"?

Tell me again how you know if you're putting uphill or downhill? Last I checked there wasn't any information indicating that at all. There's a grid, but it really only gives useful information on whether the green is curved left or right. Come to think of it, is there any way to judge how far away you are from the hole when putting other than to look at the putter strength? The screen doesn't look that different when you're 10 feet away from the hole than it does when you're 30 feet away, but how far you are from the hole changes the power you'll need to use and the angle of your putt immensely.

It also pisses me off that your caddy's an idiot. There's a course with a huge mountain in the middle that you need to hit your way around. The default club they give you for that course is a 1 Wood and they aim you straight down the middle so that you hit the ball right into the mountain. Of course you could switch to the overhead view by pressing the 1 button (not once, but) twice and you'll see that the green curves to the left, but there's no topical information at all in the overhead screen so you still need to rely on the other angle to see that there's a big mountain in your way. I saw the mountain and figured I might be able to hit the ball over it since my caddy picked out the 1 Wood for me, but of course I couldn't and rammed the ball straight into the mountain.

It's not a big deal overall, but it's representative of a larger problem. Why do they put so many obstacles in your way and obscure so much necessary information? Golf games are about using the course information to aim and then hitting the ball well, Super Swing Golf should be a game that puts more emphasis on hitting the ball well than it does on lining up your shots, but instead it forces you to spend most of your time navigating menus to get to that information instead of actually swinging. How is it that lining up your shots can be a 3 screen (or more) affair, and still not give you nearly enough information to make an approximation of where your ball will land? Terrible.

It won't take long for someone else to do it right (I'd love an Online True Swing Golf for the Wii) and I'm not willing to put up with a shitty attempt while I wait.

-Wes

EDIT:
Quote:
Also, I can't see a more realistic golf game being any better, especially in the areas that piss you off (which seems to be completly tied to the camera).

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/696/696541/real-world-golf-20060316112146663.jpg

What do you know? It actually shows an overhead view of the course and a behind the back view at the same time! It already displays more useful information than Super Swing!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uphill or Down hill are shown the same way as right or left: where the dot is in the box.

How to tell distance: Your statement doesn't even make sense.

Caddy is an idiot: no, you are for trying to hit a ball through a mountain. Aside from a few instances, the game will always point you in a straight line to the hole. Use the Dpad to move left or right, or just quicly hit (1) to view the overhead.

Obsticales: They put them there because it's a fantasy setting and many of the courses have those obstacles to perform trick shots off of them.

Conclusion: You're getting pissed off at a genre of game you don't really take seriously and making statments like "it's not like this game so I don't like it". Really just a bunch of pouting about a companies first attempt at a console game after making free Korean MMOs. Work with the controls a little and quit being such a baby, they aren't perfect, but they are no where near as bad as you claim they are.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Conclusion: You're getting pissed off at a genre of game you don't really take seriously and making statments like "it's not like this game so I don't like it".

How do I not take golf games seriously? I've played the crap out of Hot Shots 3, 4, and PSP, Links 2004 (and prior PC versions), Mario Golf for GB, GBC, GBA, N64, and GameCube, and True Swing Golf, and Super Swing is far worse than any of those. I'm not talking from conjecture, I'm talking from experience.

I'll give it to you though, in a vaccum where no other Golf games exist, Super Swing is the best.

Regardless, this is a dumb conversation. I'm not trying to convince you not to like the game - I'm glad you like it because otherwise it was a waste of money. I'm just trying to convince anyone else who is seriously considering getting the game to either hold off for the next golf game or wait for the sequel. So yeah, anyone considering buying it: hold off. Everyone else: Shaper's right.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes, you need to lose the 'tude, dude.

anyway, my sister's up to the showdown with armondo in tony hawk. exciting!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to get back to that game.

Has anyone tried Far Cry yet? I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I remember Next Gen talking about how decent the controls were, so I was thinking about getting it (even though I'd probably end up adding it to my pile of unfinished games).
david

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played Far Cry but I have heard it derided for being a hunk o' junk.

Sloppy last minute launch window port cash in.

I recommend Can Shooter.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since I can stop whining now, I'm trying to figure out what games to get.

I already have Warioware Smooth Moves and I'm most certainly getting Excite Truck. As for others, I'm on the fence about Elebits and Rayman. Someone tell me if these two are worth the money!

Also, taking the console to work on Monday, but I may never see it again after then anyway knowing some of my coworkers!
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elebits is quite good but maybe not worth $50. really depends on how much you like flinging things around a room.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to play with other people a lot you can't do much better than Rayman. Except for Wii Sports, but you've already got that.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably see how it goes over at work tomorrow, since those are my only friends in the area, and base it on that.

I'm still not sure about Elebits and I'm thinking I'll wait for a price drop although now that you can't get the plush toys any more.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rented Rayman and been very happy I didn't buy it, but that's in single player only. My girlfriend has a thing about deranged/evil rabbit creatures and refuses to play with me.

Super Swing Golf seems solid, but not worth full price. I'll probably return it soon to try Elebits. The next thing I'm actually buying is SSX Blur, then maybe TMNT? It wasn't on my radar at all until I read the creator talking about the gameplay being inspired by the movement in Mario 64 speed runs. Seeing as how that's where I've been hoping the Prince of Persias would go, I'm hesitantly very excited about this!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty dissapointed with Rayman. Even when I pull it out with friends, we quickly get bored with most of the minigames (despite a few fun ones) and play WiiSports or Play.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you people have played Wii Sonic, right? Spill!
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the brief review:

some parts of it are the best Sonic has ever been in 3D. Most of rest is like being dragged through sharp gravel because Sega apparently mandated that certain aspects of recent games that have never worked be included. which is a damn shame since they got off to such a flying start by ditching extra playable characters and, uh, Earth.

I'll go into more detail later, if I can finish the game.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Reminds me of Jack Nicholson Golf on the NES

I think you mean Jack Nicklaus!

B coma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross posted from sb

Quote:
I've been trying to find some words to best describe how I feel about this game without coming off as sour. I guess, I'm disappointed because there is/was so much fucking potential in this product. It's got a few really basic design decisions that hold it back from greatness. greatness!

The Earth motif is ignored, and alternate playable characters are ditched.
The cutscene art is gorgeous. the game is what a Sonic game should look like, more or less. the soundtrack has it's hiiiighs and loooows (sorry nightsB the vocal tracks kill me but the instrumentation is dandy).

The English dub is atrocious but that was to be expected, and if I turn on the Japanese language track I can ignore the voices altogether. I'm most of the way through the game and really, aside from the beginning of the game the plot is kind of cute (really!) and doesn't get in the way of the experience at all. In fact, the MENUS get in the way of the game more than the plot. I'll get to that later.

As far as the game itself - I'll offer up front that when it's good, it feels like Sonic in three dimensions done right. Really. Sometimes the little guy controls really well, and the tilt controls are more effective for maneuvering at high speeds and feeling like a suave motherfucker than the analogue stick ever was. like you're driving Sonic. that's an excellent thing.

And even better, Sonic is doing things that Sonic should! like jumping into a fucking cannon and surfing on a cartoon bullet through the sky to the next pirate ship. A+++. The main stages are comprised of really cool looking set pieces chained together one after the other, when they flow correctly.

But. There are a few things about how the game plays that really, really get me.

1. Backtracking. why, why, why was this not a turn around button? There are areas in the game where you will, playing the first time through, run headlong into a wall you cannot pass, and it will be necessary to backtrack to continue. The game's method of doing this is to have you move the controller upside down, causing Sonic to travel backwards (or if you have it equipped, a slightly faster backstep move). Trouble is, not only does it bring the pace to a halt with how slow it is, but you can't see where you are going! At all! Which is a serious issue if you have to move back to defeat enemies to move on. There is no good reason that this wasn't a turn around button.

2. I can very much deal with the camera edging off to the side when I'm about to make a sharp turn in the level (it makes the visual presentation smoother) but for the life of me I can't understand why they chose about half of the angles they did in this game. Having Sonic run forward in a 3/4 view sure looks cool but it also fucks with my depth perception while I'm trying to avoid getting smacked around by shit. One section in the foundry level really sticks out at me as a good example of this: after happily speeding along through a few tricky platform sections you are sent almost blindly in a room where you are expected to brake to a near complete stop or get hit by a number of spiked balls rolling about. Of course, the developers place a boost pad at the entrance to the area, and pull the camera right above your head so you can't see where you are going. To add to the insult the developers were aware of the whole setup and flash advice to slow down somewhere around the same time that you've already been dragged through the spikes.

The ratio of this kind of frustrating shit to well designed areas is about one to three.

3. The combat sucks except for the bosses.

and finally 4. The whole experience/skill system, while not totally poorly implemented is pretty much an overly ambitious pile of trash and shouldn't be in this game at all. Who wants to equip stuff in a menu just to play some damn Sonic level, anyway?

At some points in the game you will come to terms with the fact that Sonic cannot progress reasonably with his current skillset. Why, then, make a game that allows for infinite retries at invisible checkpoints?. I have a crazy theory that the infinite retries are there to offset the difficulty of the poorly designed areas.

If anything, the game would benefit from having it's difficulty toned down overall. Maybe I'll get around to finishing the game this week, put it down, and return to it much later so I can just enjoy the highlights. It's got it's good bits, but really, it's too little, too late, and still a little too attached to what Sonic has become.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever have the problem of slightly adjusting yourself to get more comfortable and then sonic like backpeddaling and the flow just completly breaking? That was my main problem with it at E3, that I would make some kind of slight adjustment and sonic would almost turn completly around and mess up the flow of everything.

I'm hoping they fixed that, as I will probably get it at a budget price down the road if they did.

B coma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Did you ever have the problem of slightly adjusting yourself to get more comfortable and then sonic like backpeddaling and the flow just completly breaking? That was my main problem with it at E3, that I would make some kind of slight adjustment and sonic would almost turn completly around and mess up the flow of everything.

I'm hoping they fixed that, as I will probably get it at a budget price down the road if they did.

no, that never happens actually. if anything, turning around takes an extremely deliberate motion.

either it was an inferior version or there were some signals getting crossed at E3?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hey, wii play! i played through all the games with my sister first. then we immediately went back and replayed a couple of them. then i played a few games by myself. then my mother joined in. then my sister and i played again. and then we played bungee buddies.

so in the end i would consider wii play a success. it provides a bunch of basic remote games that should be staples of the wii's library. it should have been a pack-in game, except for wii sports, which makes more sense as a pack-in title (given that the goal of a wii pack-in is to entice new players with something non-videogamey that they're familiar with).

"laser hockey" is fantastic. a wiimote-controlled pong is just such a smart idea, and the presentation (complete with the victory sounds that travel from your remote to the screen) is perfect.

the fishing game is fantastic, as is the mii-spotting one. these three have been by far the most-played.

the shooting gallery is great, partly because of the ducks. i like warioware's can shooter better, but only one person can play it. there needs to be a wii port of point blank. (desperately.)

billiards is great.

the tank game is fantastic single-player. it gets fairly tense, and the reflecting bullets provide just enough strategy (and incentive not to shoot blindly). battle city wii? in this thread i make demands of namco.

the cow game has angry cows and the bubble game (easily the weakest) has great backgrounds.

i'm not sure how much they paid for wii play and how it compares to the price of a controller alone, but i think it's a pretty essential piece of wii software. nintendo ought to sell it alone for a small price and assume that players could provide the second remote.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a thing about Sonic here: http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=52

I might change my mind when I pick up Downhill Jam and Excitetruck since they all seem to be in the same emergent sub-genre but for now I really dig on this game. The level up system I am less enthusiastic about but it isn't a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup james
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just reminded me that I really need to trade in a bunch of shitty games to get Sonic Wii.

JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper, did you hear Sonic's gone Wii exclusive and they're "rethinking" the franchise? Apparently Secret Rings is the start of the nude erection (new direction). The Mario and Sonic game apparently being the follow up. This is good, but I doubt it will ever be "as good" as 1991-1994.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 224 in Bowling! I didn't even pick up my mark in one of my frames, but the game ended with X XX9. My two friends I was playing against are damn lucky we opted out of playing for pushups that game.

Then we played a round of golf on the back 3 and I got a +1 Sad

edit: I thought I was posting in the Games You're Playing thread but I'll leave this here as a review of Wii Sports I guess.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Shaper, did you hear Sonic's gone Wii exclusive and they're "rethinking" the franchise? Apparently Secret Rings is the start of the nude erection (new direction). The Mario and Sonic game apparently being the follow up. This is good, but I doubt it will ever be "as good" as 1991-1994.

You know, while it may never be as good, being good/excellent in a different way is perfectly acceptable.

I have to ask you this: after watching the ending movie... is this the kind of crap we have to look forward to? (sonic wii)

purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSX Blur is pretty good, but it feels like a tech demo for the Wii controls. Lucky for me I've only really played SSX 3 before, so most of the courses are new to me.

All of my complaints about it basically just boil down to them not putting a full game's worth of effort into its production. Like how each character only has four different whole costumes, when you used to be able to pick and choose different tops and bottoms and gloves and accessories and everything else from a pretty extensive selection.

Basically, I feel like I've been charged for a E3 demo disc, but it's good enough that I don't entirely mind.
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

I have to ask you this: after watching the ending movie... is this the kind of crap we have to look forward to? (sonic wii)

Shaper, believe me, the majority of the plot is charming and told through really nice looking 2D comic book art frames (ala Max Payne). And it's totally harmless, really, until it gets a bit convoluted towards the end.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
Shaper, believe me, the majority of the plot is charming and told through really nice looking 2D comic book art frames (ala Max Payne). And it's totally harmless, really, until it gets a bit convoluted towards the end.

What B Coma said, basically. It's sort of implied SPOILERS that the two genies of the plot used to be rubbing uglies in a meaningful way SPOILERS before ***ERAZOR DJINN*** turned evil, and done so in a reasonably subtle manner . So it's actually Sonic helping a battered woman in distress... which... is still kind of crazy to have in a kid's game, I adimit. Iblis is even mentioned, albeit in something approaching the right context (during the summoning of a boss)! I wonder what a Muslim gamer would make of all this goofy apropriation.

On the whole though, it's a very charmingly presented game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Wii Play today because I've been needing a new remote, and I just wanted to come in here to say that Neon Hockey is excellent. You can pull of all sorts of tricks by twisting your wrist at just the right time or hitting the puck twice in succession. The other games are fun for fooling around and my roommate and I had fun with them, but this is the game we'll keep playing for sure.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how Blazing Angels is?

I dig arcadey flying games in general.

I hope some flying game has an option to hold the wiimote upright, making it feel like a big flightstick, like they do in the submarines game on Monkey Ball...
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'm only ten minutes into Super Paper Mario but I am already loving it.

"I'm thinking it's the hero of the prophecy, we're going to need an action plan for this guy."

Do we need a new thread for this game or am I the only one playing it?
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be renting it soon. I just didn't feel like paying $50 for a game today.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to try and rent it.

i will say that i've watched a video of the introduction, up to the point where "stage 1-1" begins. i'm not really impressed by all this light prognosticus / dark prognosticus business. the original paper mario was all about cleaning up the ridiculous tropes of the genre, and this game's backstory seems almost to embody them. at least i feel like there's going to be some clever fourth-wall breaking with the "dimension" stuff, but contact had no shortage of that stuff, and it was still contact.

anyway, i'm going to try and rent it.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a bit (a tiny bit!) of fourth wall breaking but not nearly as obnoxious as contact. Also, the gameplay doesn't suck.

The story is ridiculous, but it doesn't really matter. The antagonists are actually interesting and the bosses I've fought so far are good, so that there's a lot of overhead with the rest of the story doesn't bother me.

I'm confident in saying the 3D shifting is not just a gimmick but an actual interesting gameplay mechanic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: