The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Now let's all be friends and put on a bit of

Of this I can approve, although I would prefer Cause of Death...!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
As for the Black Album, it has the thing I don't like about a lot of modern Hip-Hop albums, which is that the're no consistency between the tracks, since there's a different producer for each of them. Plus, DJ Dangermouse's production is far more listenable and inventive than a bunch of second-choice Neptunes and Timberland dub plates. Listen to Dangermouse's version of 99 Problems and then listen to Rick 'DJ Double R' Rubin's version- there's no contest. The Rick Rubin version sounds like he knocked it up in Hip Hop E-Jay.

Rick Rubin's 99 Problems owns. Anyway, I see what you're getting at with the whole inconsistency thing, and why that can be a huge turn-off. I definitely won't agree that the beats are 'second-choice,' but the Black Album is really, really scatterbrained. Anyway, the best two tracks on the original aren't from the Neptunes or Timbaland. "Encore" and "Lucifer" from Kanye are superb.

As far as DJ Dangermouse is concerned: sometimes his production just gets too busy for me, very much like Just Blaze. He's got talent, and a great ear, but on a few tracks of the Grey Album and a few more from St. Elsewhere, he just tries to stick too many sounds into one moment. The manic energy is great, but he can overreach that and it gets a little muddled.

About St. Elsewhere: The track "Feng Shui" kills me because it's so incredibly good, but it's the shortest on the album. I want more! And the best line from it is in "Transformer" when Cee-Lo spouts "I'm a microchip off the old block, and you know not, but I was a robot, and I sold rock."

Whoever said that the Fugees are not hip-hop: I would like to hear you elaborate on this, because right now I think that's really wrong. The Score is one of the best hip-hop albums I have ever heard, and Lauryn Hill is almost peerless as a rapper. Andre 3000 is the only person I can think of who spits it better--when he bothers to, that is.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, when the fuck is the new Madvillain coming out?

SIDETRACK:

I've been doing a lot of studying lately, mostly to these 2 albums:

Awesome tech house/minimal mix that works well as both an interesting close listen and excellent background music.

Music about hos, sluts, asses, titties, dick, sucking dick, getting on this dick, dicks in asses, to awesome ghettotech/booty bass beats. Accelerated funk!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Music about hos, sluts, asses, titties, dick, sucking dick, getting on this dick, dicks in asses, to awesome ghettotech/booty bass beats. Accelerated funk!!

YES that was my sr year in high school. The cd, I mean, not the acts. I didn't kiss a girl until I was 20. His new output on his website lacks the ahem spunk of his older shit. It's like he kind of gives a fuck now or something, in a bad way.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Joe wrote:

YES that was my sr year in high school. The cd, I mean, not the acts. I didn't kiss a girl until I was 20. His new output on his website lacks the ahem spunk of his older shit. It's like he kind of gives a fuck now or something, in a bad way.

The thing about Assault, I can't honestly tell if he's being sincere or not. He's either a really talented idiot, or is pulling off this amazing parody of hiphop culture with an absolutely straight face (and awesome beats.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Whoever said that the Fugees are not hip-hop: I would like to hear you elaborate on this, because right now I think that's really wrong. The Score is one of the best hip-hop albums I have ever heard, and Lauryn Hill is almost peerless as a rapper. Andre 3000 is the only person I can think of who spits it better--when he bothers to, that is.

I said SOME Fugees/Lauryn Hill is not hip hop, like their most famous song, Killing me Softly. Obviously they still did plenty of rapping.

I like Andre 3000 well enough, but I definitely wouldn't put him up there with Rakim, Nas, Biggie, GZA and Ghostface. He doesn't have the intensity, or the rhythm.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have pretty different tastes, then. I like most of those guys alright, but I don't think any of them are truly special. Are all 5 of them New Yorkers (in as broad a sense as possible)?
Ebrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they're New Yorkers. Rakim has incredible flow which Nas sort of emulated, while Biggie is by far the most personal and touching rapper who ever lived, GZA is just plain clever, and Ghostface is intense and is one of the only rappers who continues producing great CDs instead of dropping one classic and following it with a bunch of crap.

It's not that I have any East/West prejudice. I make it a point never to get drunk without listening to "Fuck the Police" by NWA. But the full group only had one CD, and while Ice Cube is a great MC, I never liked him as much solo.
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely a capella from Family Tree:

How could I be so immature
to think he could ever replace
the missing elements in me?
How extremely lazy of me.

Man, I remember years ago when I would constantly post lyrics solely to express my love for the music from which they came, or to express how I was feeling by referencing that music. I must have been so annoying.
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the conclusion of Bjork's "Oceania", she repeats:

Your sweat is salty;
I am why

and it's just so powerful to me. It brings me to tears.

One breath away
from Mother Oceania,
Your nimble feet make prints
in my sands.

You have done
good for yourselves
since you left my wet embrace
and crawled ashore.

Every boy is a snake is a lily;
every pearl is a lynx is a girl.

Sweet like harmony
made into flesh --
You dance by my side,
children sublime..

You show me continents;
I see the islands.
You count the centuries;
I blink my eyes.

Hawks and sparrows
race in my waters --
Stingrays are floating
across the sky...

Little ones:
My sons and my daughters,
your sweat is salty;
I am why.
I am why.
I am why.
Your sweat is salty;
I am why.
I am why.
I am why.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard that song from her Greek Olympics performance at the opening ceremonies, where she sang it while her blue dress expanded to cover all the hundreds of athletes, at the end of a parade of Greek myths. It was absolutely appropriate in the most bizarre way.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a sad album to listen to.

the second track's opening line is "there's a man lying in a grave somewhere / who has the same tattoos as me"

jhon balance, rip.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been listening to that a lot lately. It'd be an excellent album even if one weren't aware of its context, but with that in mind, yes, it's amazing and quite sad. Almost every line of it can't help but seem steeped in prediction.

"Pay your respects to the vultures, for they are our future."
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's being described by many reviews as the classic Coil album, a magnum opus of sorts. How accurate is that, especially in light of Balance's death?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's certainly a culimination of their later work, and a fitting coda. i'll write a review of it sometime soon and post it here..eventually. it's just very disturbing to listen to in light of what happened, and reflecting on the fact that though i'm only a few years younger than coil as a musical project, it influenced my life and a lot of my later musical interests, often without me knowing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
reflecting on the fact that though i'm only a few years younger than coil as a musical project, it influenced my life and a lot of my later musical interests, often without me knowing it.

Wait, dhex, exactly how old are you? If I'm not mistaken Coil lasted twenty-three years (there's that number again), and I'd always presumed you were about my age (I'm 26).

But yeah — although I've only started listening to Coil actively within the last couple of years, they've always been sort of lurking beneath the surface. I first came across them when I was into NIN during the early-to-mid '90s (on the Fixed EP), and they've been a sort of clandestine presence ever since.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i turned 29 yesterday, actually.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, happy belated birthday!
internisus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh hey happy birthday for two days ago dhex!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy belated birthday, yo. Can't believe I missed that yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PRIZE FOR YOU, DHEX:

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently on my second listen through. MoRT is kind of like that huge Hunter-Killer tank at the start of Terminator rolling over a street made of skulls only it has wonky suspension. God damn it is really fucking bleak.

Blut Aus Nord have a really cool internet site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Death in June, Current 93, Boyd Rice and Genesis P-Orridge: Where to start? What to listen to? Why do they release so much?
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Current 93, I'd say start with his recent stuff, specifically Black Ships Ate the Sky and Sleep Has His House. Download the Emblems: the Menstrual Years compilation (it's out of print) for a survey of his earlier stuff, and the Judas As Black Moth to pretty much cover the rest.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey, you had a birthday! happy birthday!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So, Death in June, Current 93, Boyd Rice and Genesis P-Orridge: Where to start? What to listen to? Why do they release so much?

I'm going to be a smart-ass and tell you to start with Nurse With Wound. You may choose the album however you wish.

Anyway, Death in June's earlier work hasn't aged well since the synths now sound super-cheese, and his work is sort of like Dragon Quest in that it's the same album again and again but he gets closer to the vision each time.

C93 can be too precious for some people. I enjoy it but I can't take it too seriously.

Don't skip Der Blutharsch! And Espers arguably does late period C93 better than C93.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tune Nurse With Wound did with the Legendary Pink Dots, but to be frank, I never acquired much of a taste for either of them.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nww: soliloquies for lillith, and then go from there. it's all over the place.

death in june: what ends when symbols shatter. everything else sucks. i'm not exaggerating.

boyd rice: if you like early industrial, well, you'll like his early stuff. but i'd rather listen to his obscure girl group compliations for the most part.

as for david tibet and co, well, i'm a big c93 fan. i would say start with of ruine or some blazing star, then thunder perfect mind, then maybe black ships or more of the mid period folk stuff if you like that. i don't think the guy is precious so much as crazy, and being overeducated in religious studies, i get most of his references.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so poor about Death in June? The imagery has me intrigued and I'm wondering if there's anything behind that.

I've listened to Black Ships Ate the Sky and All the Pretty Little Horses, and have enjoyed those somewhat, though I'll probably need further listens.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it can come off as even more affected than C93, but I appreciate his lyrics a fair amount when I'm feeling angsty.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's so poor about Death in June?

by the end of their run the gay nazi thing wears thin. all pigs must die is ridiculously shitty. and a lot of doug p's back catalogue is badly recorded to boot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By finally finding a copy of Conspiracy I am rectifying the King Diamond-lessness of this thread. A more than worthy successor to Them, it's got all the stuff you'd expect from the King; a theatrical horror concept, low to high vocal range and plenty of dueling guitars.

AAAARGH!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to give those guys a listen. Should I start with that album or is there something else I should check out?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to start is by going through Mercyful Fate's discography, since it was the band he was in before he started performing under his own (stage) name. But if you just want to keep to his stuff it's best to listen to Them first, since Conspiracy follows up the events portrayed there eighteen years in the future. You should really go for Abigail first though, since although it is a great album Them is much better and it was the first of his albums that started around a singular concept than just a collection of songs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version of Tower of Dub on here is frighteningly good in a very acid-y way.

Oh you guys.

a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aahhhh i love old orb. they haven't had much i've been interested in recently, unfortunately

right now, though, i've been listening to tonnnnnns of boards of canada, like, we have every song they've done on cd or downloaded or something here now.

also off and on, mika miko's CYSLABF.
i also just downloaded pink floyd's piper at the gates of dawn in the original mono mix and "bali: golden rain" which is a couple of great gamelan songs and the kecak/ramayana monkey chant (if you've ever seen the movie baraka, that's they guys going "tak tak tak taktaktakta tak tak TAK! tak tak tak").
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only found out today that Nick Cave, along with a select few members of the Bad Seeds, have formed a new band, with a more primitive, garage sound in mind, called Grinderman, and are expected to release an album in March.

I love everything Cave does and as a result, the sole song currently presented, No Pussy Blues, is no exception. It's more Birthday Party than Bad Seeds, by any comparison.

I've been giving A Perfect Circle's material a listen. I'm no Tool fan; as far as I'm concerned, Lateralus was their only truly worthwhile album, and demonstrated better notions of what they were trying to achieve. 10,000 Days is decent.

After having enjoyed Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step, their evocative and focused sensibilities breaking their pop prog trappings without veering into goth rehash, it was with apprehension that I put on eMOTIVe. Peace protest songs have never been my cup of tea. When they're honest, it only serves to accentuate the naivety of the process, and when they're not they're just disgustingly cynical filth. So this as a concept album, consisting mainly of covers, already feels pompous. And in short, I like the treatment, but the songs are mix-bags by default. Some work, some don't, and only ever towards the very end. So, an uneven experience. Hell, they made Imagine feel threatening, ironising Lennon's intent, which though led to a horribly short-sighted song, here seems to condemn narrow pacifism.
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYq459aQhY
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=TRtXU6NjQ

Soul Brother Number One, rest in peace.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to the bridge!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been waking up in a cold sweat.

"Alberto Basalm" is like, the best.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my long-awaited review of Clipse's Hell Hath No Fury:

It isn't very good. Their flow is really, really boring, and the rhymes don't make up for the unbearable structure of it all.

The it's-hip-to-like-rap-records-about-selling-drugs (why this has become trendy, I cannot say) record that is actually really good is T.I.'s King. He's just so smoothe. But it isn't as good as his album Trap Muzik from a couple years ago.

Fishscale by Ghostface Killah is a nice middle for those other two albums. Ghostface rambles a lot, and gets carried away with himself, but the whole production is so weird and inflammatory that it's hard not to get swept away in parts of it. Especially the song "Kilo"
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't stop listening to Iron & Wine, thread!

here's some folky stuff i uploaded:

Evening On the Ground (Lilith's Song): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0A4L9RPF

Weary Memory: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IEU3Z0BS
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop listening to all three Grim Reaper albums. It is metal how it is meant to be played.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker of the Grym Reaper, The Gravediggaz are really good. Proto-Wu Tang Clan featuring Prince Paul on production!

The only good thing about Hell Hath No Fury is that it appears to have a song on it about the shop-owning bird in Twilight Princess ('Trill').
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 feet deep is right up there with GZA's liquid swords. yo.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Feet Deep or as the album is titled over here, Niggamortis.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
GZA's liquid swords. yo.

For the past week or so, it's been a lot of Liquid Swords, Built Only 4 Cuban Linx and Ironman.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd listen to that but I'm too busy ghostriding my whip.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<- from the home of ghostriding the whip
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ghostridden your whip yet? From what I can gather white guys aren't much good at ghostriding the whip. They always look like they're in too much of a hurry to get back in the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 6 of 22

Jump to: