The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got PSP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Got PSP? Reply with quote

So... my singular hint to my Aunt and Uncle actually came to fruition this year - resulting with a PSP in my hands on Christmas Eve. Which is awesome (I made the hint when Portable Ops was released.... and now I actually get a chance to play it!).

The thing is - firstly, they didn't get any games when they bought it, so I am stuck with a console without anything to do with it (a situation I plan on resolving tomorrow) and, secondly, I have kind of ignored PSP hype until MGS:PO was announced. So, I have no idea which games are worthy of picking up when I hit up EB tomorrow morning.

In addition to MGS:PO, I was thinking of grabbing a copy of Burnout: Legends (one of my favourite series) and Lumines (despite knowing very little about the game in general). Anyone else have any tips of games to keep an eye out for? I remember hearing about a new Ghouls and Ghosts which would be fun....

I don't know anyone else in my town with a PSP so multiplayer components aren't really necessary... and I probably won't be taking the unit online often either. So, the single player campaign is the most important aspect in what I'm looking for.
Isfet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the PSP unfortunately does not have a huge library, so you need to hope that the games available are ones you'd like. the new Ghouls 'n Ghosts is pretty awesome if you like that series. there are also the two Mega Man games (Maverick Hunter and Powered Up) that are also a lot of fun, but: MH is probably only for those who really, really like the X series while PU is just an all around fun time. not that i'd discourage gettiing MH, as i liked it, but it might not really be for everyone.

do not, under any circumstances, buy Ys.

on the other hand, if you haven't played Valkyrie Profile before, i'd reccomend picking up the PSP port of the original.

if you happened to like Mega Man Legends (or Misadventures of Tron Bonne), you could pick up Tokobot. it'd also on PS2 now, but since you have a PSP, why not?
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this list any good?

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psp/ten-games-every-psp-gamer-should-play-224494.php

They're missing Exit, though.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
do not, under any circumstances, buy Ys.

Is it a pink one?

Games I recommend in order of importance that I own:
Lumines (the original)
Me and My Katamari
Loco Roco
Mega Man Powered Up
Gradius Collection
Every Extend Extra
Guilty Gear Judgement (the .japanese version is better, but unless you're an obsessive fan like me, you probably won't notice much of a difference)
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable (there are two you can import)
Valkyrie Profile (and to a lesser extent, Blade Dancer although I found it pretty boring)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Hot shots Golf (if you like the PS/PS2/Mario Golf games)
Ultimate Block Party (or Kollon in the japanese, if you like puzzle games)

I've heard good things about Ultimate Ghouls and Goblins but haven't played it yet.

There aren't many games with online components, MGS is the only one I own that I think has it, and I have never met another person with a PSP in a situation where we could both play multiplayer. So all of my suggestions are with the single player in mind.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psp/ten-games-every-psp-gamer-should-play-224494.php

That's a pretty good list. I'd like to reiterate both Daxter and Syphon Filter. Daxter's a really good platformer that works unsurprisingly well with the PSP nub, and - although I haven't gotten Syphon Filter yet because $40 is way too much for a portable game - the demo I got was really, really well done. It controls better than MGS Portable Ops for sure and it's really the only game in the Syphon Filter series I've ever even remotely enjoyed.

I've heard good things about Field Commander as well. Apparently it's a really good semi-realistic-looking Advance Wars rip-off.

Don't get Me and My Katamari. It's boring as fuck!

Also both Exit and Ultimate Block Party were $10 in a little section in front of Best Buy just prior to Christmas. I'd recommend tracking down either/or if you can get them for that price.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Is it a pink one?

i don't think i understand

oh, if you like fighting games, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max is actually pretty fun (in terms of playing it for short amounts of time on a subway ride, etc.).
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Shots Golf is great, if you like golf videogames.

I love 'em myself and Hot Shots is a reliably good series of games, even if the upper-level AI gets exquisitely maddening in terms of always hitting the correct shot and draining unbelievably tough putts.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Is it a pink one?

i don't think i understand

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see this?

(On Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror)
"It is, in a sense, the perfect game – the game is an adequate length, has an excellent story that is neither too emotional nor too detaching for the player, an excellent control scheme, a multitude of weapons, excellent level design, and, ultimately, was a joy to play and replay and replay... It is almost reason enough to own a PSP. "

Odd. As I said above, I really, really liked the demo but I don't believe in paying $40 for a portable game. This review may have been enough to convince me to go get it!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lists!

I ended up going to a few shops the next morning and a pretty good starter pack. I found copies of:

-Lumines 1: which is great fun. I've unlocked quite a few skins and am at "2x a 4x4" in puzzle mode. I'm so glad I was able to find a copy of 1... Looking over reviews of 2 make it look pretty lame (what with all those cheesy music videos and such playing in the background).
-Burnout: Legends: which I love almost as much as Burnout on the PS2. I love that it is based on the 3 engine instead of Revenge... and even the fact that many of the tracks are nostalgic (as due to being ports) from that release. It is just too bad that the music selection is absolutely atrocious and you can't play your own tunes from the SD card during play.
-Bomberman: It was cheap and I have a soft spot for the Bomb. I am only a few worlds in - but it is really a perfect portable game. Easy to pick up and play for a few minutes and put down again.
-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops: which I haven't actually played yet. I'm saving it until I give the rest of the games some adequate attention.

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Me and My Katamari.

SuperWes wrote:

What causes such discrepancy? Is it much different from Damacy? I figured it would be fun on a handheld... Elaboration, please?

I'm really thinking of picking up a copy of LocoRoco... but it is still extremely expensive (~$50 in the store) so I'm going to put that one on hold.

Isfet wrote:
the PSP unfortunately does not have a huge library, so you need to hope that the games available are ones you'd like.

To be honest... I'm almost finding that the lack of a large library is almost refreshing. I'm almost feeling overwhelmed by the VC on the Wii because I can't finish all the games that I download in less than a week's time and it creates this backlog. Having a smaller library isn't necessarily a bad thing... especially when you have some classics in there, like Lumines, that have almost infinite replayability.

Really, in less than a few weeks into owning the PSP... I can say that I love having one around. I'm pretty impressed with the device.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm known around the Gaming Age Forums as that idiot that won't stop asking about Luminies Plus for the PS2. And the reason why I'm so deperate to know if its an exact port of the original, I will truly need no reason to get the system.

Okay, Exit and Wipeout are two other reasons. And maybe Hot Pxl and WTF. I like Wario Ware after-all.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Me and My Katamari.

SuperWes wrote:

What causes such discrepancy? Is it much different from Damacy? I figured it would be fun on a handheld... Elaboration, please?

Me and My Katamari is in a literal sense the third game in the series. It adds nothing new to the formula (except load times) and the control is off since you don't have two analog sticks. That said, if you liked the first two games, I am sure you'll like this one as well. I beat it in a few days once I got used to the controls (which admittedly aren't that bad) but I can see why Wes calls it "boring" as it's basically a rehash of the first two gaems. For me, though, that was enough.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keita had nothing to do with it, fwiw. Also, just picked up a mostly mint condition PSP for almost nothing since the power switch was broken (but works if pushed with a pen).
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Is it much different from Damacy? I figured it would be fun on a handheld... Elaboration, please?

Rather than getting into it I'll just refer to the 1up review, which I read before getting the game but refused to believe given how great Katamari Damacy is. After playing it though, it's obvious that if you remove all of the great pacing in the first game and all of the unique challenges of the second game, knock down a few notches of technical excellence, and just kinda throw it out there without going through the trouble of adding anything unique to the formula, you end up with a game that's just a half-assed Katamari on the go. I'd rather just stay at home and get the whole ass.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me And My Katamari is the devil!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Also both Exit and Ultimate Block Party were $10 in a little section in front of Best Buy just prior to Christmas. I'd recommend tracking down either/or if you can get them for that price.

If any of you drop by a Best Buy and see Exit for that price.... I would pay you additional to pick me up a copy and post it to me. None of the stores around here have it in stock, nor will order it for me and the best price I can find online is much more expensive than that.

I watched a few gameplay videos and I most certainly want to play this!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

If any of you drop by a Best Buy and see Exit for that price.... I would pay you additional to pick me up a copy and post it to me. None of the stores around here have it in stock, nor will order it for me and the best price I can find online is much more expensive than that.

I watched a few gameplay videos and I most certainly want to play this!

Hint: When I saw it it wasn't marked as Exit, it was marked as "budget PSP soft" or something like that. It's one of those games that they put a new barcode over the original and are selling as generically cheap. Not sure if that helps, but I do promise to keep an eye out!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pretty good deal on an Exit/Wipeout bundle online... I'll pick that up.

Thanks anyways!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit is not a good action game. It is a pretty good puzzle game though!

Anyways, this thread needs more Every Extend Extra. It's a damn good game if you like the original (which you can play online for free).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, this thread needs more Every Extend Extra.

This game went down to $20 at EB/Gamestop recently and is probably on its way out. I do recommend picking it up at that price as it's one of my favorite PSP games.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, this thread needs more Every Extend Extra. It's a damn good game if you like the original (which you can play online for free).

I've been saying this for months now!
Isfet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with money i received for xmas, the first games i actually ended up buying were for PSP. they were EEE and MGS: PO. i've only spent about 10 or 20 minutes with PO (which was mainly story), but it seems pretty enjoyable. when i have more time i think i'll end up really liking what it has to offer. EEE, though, is incredible.

i had never played the free version (though i knew of it), so maybe i'm that much more impressed with it or something. either way, for $20 there's no reason not to get it.

i also picked up Lumines 2 because...well, i liked Lumines 1? also, i hadn't heard much about it (this was before people here expressed distaste for it), so i figured what the hell. it basically seems like Lumines but with different music. it's not bad, but it's probably not necessary at all. although there's some kind of (song?)edit mode that i'd like to check out (and will probably be disappointed with).
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Exit is not a good action game. It is a pretty good puzzle game though!

Ah, yeah - I'm going into that one thinking of it as puzzle-game for sure. No worries about that. I think I almost prefer the PSP as a puzzle-game platform, as it is for situations where I am more sleepy (car rides, work, laying in bed) as opposed to a console, which - I guess - is more 'stimulating' (?).

Alright, what is this Every Extend Extra you all are talking about now? You have piqued my curiosity.

Edit: My distaste with Lumines 2 can be traced back to this article: http://gamerevolution.com/review/psp/lumines_2 where basically they say that the only real positive thing about it, is the fact that it is more Lumines. The rest is either annoying, redundant or a combination of both.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Alright, what is this Every Extend Extra you all are talking about now? You have piqued my curiosity.

Every Extend is a game similar to a shooter but you can only kill other enemies by blowing yourself up. You can play the original game HERE (the 9.76mb download at the bottom). If you find yourself mildly addicted to it after you understand the control scheme you will probably really enjoy EEE. It comes with the new game (which doesn't add much to the formula but a bit to the gameplay and more levels), the original PC game, and a demo of Lumines 2 that is more robust than it should be making me never want to buy the whole game!

Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myst if you like beautiful point-and-click mechanism solving games. (I haven't got a PSP though.) Exit sounds good.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I missed the part where EEE turned out to be good (this is not sarcasm- the last I remember there was a demo that everyone hated, and all the preview videos looked bad, and I just haven't heard anything about it from then till now), but now I may have to pick it up. Without a PSP.

Hey somebody! Make some more good PSP games so it's reasonable to buy one! Hey Sony! Make a hardware revision and decent pricing for similar reasons!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying it's good for months now! Since the Japanese release last summer!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Hey somebody! Make some more good PSP games so it's reasonable to buy one! Hey Sony! Make a hardware revision and decent pricing for similar reasons!

Well, honestly if you can find a good sale on a PSP at $100-$150 it might be worth it for Mega Man Powered Up, Ultimate GnG, Exit (for $10), and EEE. All those games can be had for about $20 or less if you look around, so with a $100 PSP and $70 worth of games it's actually a pretty good deal. Though, from a hardware perspective the PSP is still shit no matter how much you pay for it.

dongle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

browse forums. I got a 1.5 firmware one for $145 shipped that came with six games (avg resale value: $15), a screen protector, and a hard case. I'm not bragging; deals like that are fairly common.

That said, some people hacked popstation to make eboots with cdda in a format that the offical psx emulator on the psp can understand so, yeah.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, can someone pick me up some cheap games for PSP over there? They are still like $60 here. Exit would be nice, and anything else decent. Wipeout Pure maybe?

Actually looking at the games available, I'm interested in:

Exit
Wipeout
Powerstone
Daxter
Syphon Filter
Tekken
Lumines
Megaman PU
Dungeon Siege
Lego Star Wars II

Seen any of these for cheap over there?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Hey, can someone pick me up some cheap games for PSP over there? They are still like $60 here. Exit would be nice, and anything else decent. Wipeout Pure maybe?

Look them up online, buy them with your card, and get them sent to my address and I'll send them to you for whatever the shipping costs are for an insured package (most stores charge a shitload for shipping overseas). PM me to iron out all the details if you're interested.

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would be a good place to buy them online? Are you talking about like ebay?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Where would be a good place to buy them online? Are you talking about like ebay?

No, no. If you're going to buy something off of Ebay that can be a great way to buy stuff to get shipped to foreign countries without paying an arm and a leg.

But if you're trying to avoid Ebay just check www.ebgames.com, www.bestbuy.com, www.cheapassgamer.com, and www.bytesizedeals.com and see if you can find some games that are worthwhile and cheap.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Actually looking at the games available, I'm interested in:
Exit
Wipeout

Hey Cycle, if you are (still) looking for these... I can send/trade them to you. Let me know.

Bumping back this old ass topic, though, I have played quite a few more games since getting the PSP and now I can't even imagine not having one. I love the system.

Games that definitely were worth playing through:
* Metal Gear AC!D 1 and 2. Both games were exquisite. I guess being in love with the MG series helps but whenever I pick these up, I'm totally immersed.
* Crush. I'm not incredibly far into this one yet, and I think it is best played in short spurts, but so far it kind of puts Super Paper Mario to shame with the whole "seemless 3-d to 2-d" idea.
* Valkyrie Profile. Never was able to find it for PSX.... really glad I got the opportunity to play it on the PSP. It is one helluva game.
* Einhander. Another PSX title I never could find in stores... Squaresoft does shooter. Wah?
* Monster Hunter: Freedom. I don't know if I would recommend this if you don't have a friend nearby who also has a PSP. The single player campaign doesn't really have much of a story and its kind of hard to stay motivated with it. However, through in some friends into the ad hoc mode, and it is pretty amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Note: I'd almost add Puzzle Quest to this list but that game was so buggy, it ruined itself for me. Which I'm still kind of upset about.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
* Einhander. Another PSX title I never could find in stores... Squaresoft does shooter. Wah?

Did this officially come out for PSP or are you doin' the custom firmware thingy?

silentmatt wrote:
Valkyrie Profile

Are you playing the official release or playing through custom firmware? Just curious. I have this for the PS1 and it's a little too unstructured for my tastes. I like how it's played but it's just a little too easy to lose track of what you're supposed to do next.

silentmatt wrote:
Buggy Puzzle Quest

This is the first I've heard of Puzzle Quest being buggy. What kind of bugs? The DS version was pretty solid aside from locking up on me one time.

silentmatt wrote:
Crush

I've been playing Crush for the past few days and I really love it. It's exactly what I wish Super Paper Mario had been. I wasn't a fan of the art direction from the pictures or box art, but during the game it works so well I can't imagine it with anything else. This might be my favorite PSP game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
silentmatt wrote:
* Einhander.

Did this officially come out for PSP or are you doin' the custom firmware thingy?

Custom firmware. As soon as I heard about all the emulation possible, there really was no turning back. I highly recommend going to CF (that is, if you haven't been doing the Sony updates - I think the highest firmware you can currently downgrade is 3.10 or so. Once you are on CF though, Dark_Alex does a crazy job of keeping it up to date - I'm currently on 3.40 OE, for example).

SuperWes wrote:
silentmatt wrote:
Valkyrie Profile

Are you playing the official release or playing through custom firmware?

This one, I played the official PSP rerelease. My tastes kind of prefer the CGI to the original anime cut-scenes (just a personal preference). Other than that, I'm pretty sure the port was pretty faithful to the original. There was definitely some feelings of "what-the-hells-going-on" involved but I think it plays better that way. It is the end of the world and all that.

SuperWes wrote:
silentmatt wrote:
Buggy Puzzle Quest

This is the first I've heard of Puzzle Quest being buggy. What kind of bugs? The DS version was pretty solid aside from locking up on me one time.

Holy crap, are there same gamebreakers in the PSP version. The one that is found in every game (but not the most significant), is the fact that the companion coding is completely broken. They get added to your party but don't actually do anything. This doesn't really matter, as they're a crutch anyways. What does matter is the fact that, after hitting level 50 or so, I can't access my spell screen without the game freezing. Which means, I cannot change which spells I want to bring into battle, ever. Supposedly this might be linked to the number of creatures one has captured, but it is totally ridiculous. Other problems: the higher the level, the more often the game randomly freezes during battle, especially when you start getting more intensive spells. I've heard from others that the problem is so bad that they cannot even start a battle anymore without having to do a hard reset. It is really awful.

silentmatt wrote:
Crush

SuperWes wrote:
I've been playing Crush for the past few days and I really love it. It's exactly what I wish Super Paper Mario had been. I wasn't a fan of the art direction from the pictures or box art, but during the game it works so well I can't imagine it with anything else. This might be my favorite PSP game.

Yeah, I find it works really well in small bouts. I'm just scared that it might get too repetitive after a while. I'm currently playing it, interspersed with bouts of Daxter - and I think the two compliment each other nicely.

Last edited by silentmatt on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomberman is a really good purchase, too. I would put it up there with Super Bomberman 2 and Saturn Bomberman without hesitation.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting one of these at the beginning of May. I like it very much!

It turns out that there's a simple reply for pretty much every complaint you can level at the system: homebrew. Long load times? Short battery life? Use a homebrew application to dump your UMD to solid-state media, improving both! Anemic software library? There are several excellent emulators available, including Sony's built-in, near-perfect PSX emulator. (There's even an early version of DOSBox and an x86 emu, though I haven't tried either yet.) Hell, you don't like the SMS-style text entry fields? Well, okay, those are kind of silly and I don't know why they're designed like that. But if you do a lot of writing on your PSP (which you might, since the web browser is surprisingly able) there's even a homebrew plugin that allows you to use a Palm wireless keyboard.

My favourite piece of homebrew so far, though, is the SVCapture05 plugin. This thing lets you capture screenshots at any time, which is a feature that I wish were standard in most games.

Check this out:

(Doesn't that guy look like he belongs in the Perry Bible Fellowship?)

I think the thing I dislike the most about it is that it seems prone to that sort of device worship that you see in a lot of iPod users. Seriously, I saw a whole suite of accessories with the tagline "It's your baby." Er, no. Though it is kind of like a temple; don't even think of touching the thing unless you've cleansed your hands, lest ye taint it irrevocably with your filthy mammalian oils.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:

What is this game and why is it not a banner yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem with the PSP is the design of the system itself: my hands cramp up after about 15 minutes of play. Call of Duty kind of beat that out of me though - painful, painful experience.

I would love to play my PSX games on the system - Bushido Blade, Jumping Flash!, WipEout, etc. - but I'm not a fan of having to buy a memory stick that's only useful in one device. I know I will eventually, but anytime I go to buy memory I end up picking up an SD card since it can be used in so many of my items (camera, pocket pc, desktop pc, laptop, wii, etc.). I used to play homebrew stuff but ended up leaving it behind when Death Jr. 2 needed an update and I was tired of skipping out on newer stuff. Is it easy to play PSX games on it? I was reading a readme file for one program, and it seemed like a breeze.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damn i hate the psp.
some good software on it every half a year or so but, even then, i prolly wont be bothered to deal with that ill-designed machine.

it hurts to use it.

i dont use it.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
My main problem with the PSP is the design of the system itself: my hands cramp up after about 15 minutes of play. Call of Duty kind of beat that out of me though - painful, painful experience.

I would love to play my PSX games on the system - Bushido Blade, Jumping Flash!, WipEout, etc. - but I'm not a fan of having to buy a memory stick that's only useful in one device. I know I will eventually, but anytime I go to buy memory I end up picking up an SD card since it can be used in so many of my items (camera, pocket pc, desktop pc, laptop, wii, etc.). I used to play homebrew stuff but ended up leaving it behind when Death Jr. 2 needed an update and I was tired of skipping out on newer stuff. Is it easy to play PSX games on it? I was reading a readme file for one program, and it seemed like a breeze.

I don't mind the size of the machine - but then again, I have dainty girly hands (I found the original Xbox controller painful to use after a while, for example.) Not to act the apologist for poor system design, but have you looked into any of those third party grip accessories?

PSX emulation is a snap. There are a few simple GUI-based converters that let you mess with the game's splash screen and icon, but all you really have to do is drop in an image file and put the resulting PSP executable into a folder on your memory stick. There's no tinkering in the emulator proper (aside from a handful of aspect-ratio options and whether you want to emulate the proper disc-load speed) and nearly everything seems to run perfectly (or better, surprisingly -- Silent Hill seems smoother than I remember it being on the PSX.)

As far as I know, now that these custom firmware versions are being kept more or less concurrent with the official updates, you don't have to abstain from using homebrew in order to play regular games, or vice-versa. Obviously, I got into this stuff relatively late, but it seems like a lot of the elaborate voodoo that running hombrew used to be involve has become unnecessary.

ApM wrote:
What is this game and why is it not a banner yet

Dammit ApM I'm not your personal banner machine

ah, who am I kidding
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody point in the direction of decent low-on-the-l33t PSP firmware hax site?
silentmatt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey - check your PM.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:

Jumping Flash is a downloadable title for the PSP, apparently. Though you need a PS3 to acquire it, which is bunk, but brings me to another point--

So I was cleaning out the closet in anticipation of a move the other day, when I dug up my old Playstation. And I thought, oh man, there were so many good games I always wanted to play for this thing that I forgot about when I got my PS2. Like Valkyrie Profile. I should go get a copy of Valkyrie Profile. Oh look, there are all sort of awesome videos of Valkyrie Profile on Youtube. This looks like a blast! Okay, I'll go down to Gamers tomorrow and buy a copy of Valkyrie Profile.

But you can't just trundle down to the corner store and buy a copy of Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation because there are hardly any left, and they cost upwards of a hundred dollars now. Lots of other awesome games that didn't get big production runs (anyone else remember Bust-a-Groove?) are the same way. But now many of these games are being released on the PSP. I could get a new PSP, a copy of the Valkyrie Profile re-make and Jumping Flash for not much more than it would cost to just buy copies of those two games for my PSX from eBay.

Which is insane. And, I regret not buying more video games when I was in high school, which is something I never thought I would say. But god help me, I think I might have to buy a PSP. Just so I can play ten year-old video games. What the hell, people.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the PSX emulation itself is pretty amazing... the lack of R2/L2 buttons REALLY isn't.

Honestly, there are only so many PSX titles that are really enjoyable on the PSP when you consider that fact.

That said, many don't require the use of R2/L2.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Jumping Flash is a downloadable title for the PSP, apparently. Though you need a PS3 to acquire it, which is bunk, but brings me to another point--

Yeah, I recall it being released a while back. I just don't want to have to pay for it again, considering I already own 3 copies of it - damn you, internal packrat!! ... and ebay!!!

I never really thought about the lack of L2 and R2. Most of my PSX games are either launch or near launch titles, and I think most only used L1 and R1 at that point, thanks to the SNES' influence.

Oh dammit, I'm going to have to buy one of Sony's stupid memory sticks now. Just, why can't you just go with the crowd, Sony? For once? Would it have killed you to just use SD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: