The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free thrills and idiot boxes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Six

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Wonder Showzen is pretty soul-crushing. I make my 'friends' sit through the patience episode.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes me sad that there will probably never be an official DVD release of Daria since most of the episodes you can download are of not-so-great quality. I remember spending hours on weekends while I was in high school watching the Daria marathons they used to run on MTV.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daria was pretty adept at dodging any of the trappings you'd expect from a 90s show about a cynical suburbian "alternative" girl.

It's unlikely a DVD release will pop up any time soon mainly due to issues of music licensing
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My great hope is that it'll get a release in Europe where music licensing isn't so restrictive. Other shows (Ally McBeal comes to mind) that use a lot of licensed music have had DVD releases there.
a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i'd kind of forgotten about daria!! i'd love to see it again, many times. i definitely watched those marathons, too
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it right now!

I got a DVD burner recently and put up a few episodes for my sister. It is really amazing. This episode where she reads the short story about mass-killing communists. . . yes. "The world was safe for Democracy again."

"I could have loved you if you weren't as red as the blood now spilling across the sand."

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite lines came from one of the last episodes.

Jane: Somebody slip me a $20 and I'll tell you which showers haven't been peed in... to my knowledge.
Daria: My friend is kidding of course, they've all been peed in.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was just talking about Twin Peaks with Pete (from Anamanaguchi) on NYE.

Anyway, I introduced my gf to Aeon Flux last night (the superb DVD collection, naturally) and she couldn't get over how genuinely weird the show is. Not in a "look at me, I'm so WEIRD!!!" show-boat type of way. Yet it all makes sense and isn't strange for the sake of being strange.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's written by a Korean and his posse of The Prisoner-loving, Nabokov-reading biker American drunkards.

We call this sci-fi or something.

Anyone here read The Herodotus File? It's basically official fan-fiction written by Eric Singer and Mark Mars.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out which episodes of The Prisoner McGoohan wrote himself, as he used a variety of pseudonyms. FAQs have proven unhelpful, and beyond the obvious ones (Arrival, The Chimes of Big Ben, Free for All, Checkmate, Dance of the Dead, Once Upon a Time and Fall Out), I can't figure out any of the others. Anyone have a definite list of some sort?

Incidentally, Wonder Showzen is pretty damn amazing, now that I've managed to watch more of it.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm watching ebichu (fan-subbed and uncensored), an anime about a hamster and her "master", who is dating a cheating douchebag. ebichu keeps her master's home and has intimate knowledge of her life but the rationality of a small child; she acts as a conduit between her master's private and public life, frequently leading to much chagrin on the part of her master and a beating which spills more blood than ebichu can possibly contain in her body.

it is rarely subtle and occasionally hilarious. there are ludicrous amounts of anatomical puns.

EDIT: the ebichuman episode is fucking amazing.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heroes is getting to be pretty good! I am enjoying it a lot, and since the other show I'm following (Studio 60) will probably be cancelled this spring I don't feel the impending doom coming with the end of the TV season.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, hold on. In the UK, they don't sell season two of Twin Peaks. They have the first, and Fire Walk With Me, and I figured those two were enough, because the second season has a dire reputation. What does it add and is it worth it? If the contrary, how is it a disaster?
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I'm trying to figure out which episodes of The Prisoner McGoohan wrote himself, as he used a variety of pseudonyms. FAQs have proven unhelpful, and beyond the obvious ones (Arrival, The Chimes of Big Ben, Free for All, Checkmate, Dance of the Dead, Once Upon a Time and Fall Out), I can't figure out any of the others. Anyone have a definite list of some sort?
You could try punching names into imdb to see who comes up elsewhere and who doesn't, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So, hold on. In the UK, they don't sell season two of Twin Peaks. They have the first, and Fire Walk With Me, and I figured those two were enough, because the second season has a dire reputation. What does it add and is it worth it? If the contrary, how is it a disaster?

As a Twin Peaks semi-fan, the most I would own would be the pilot and the first season (which are distrubted separately out here).

The second season, the writing goes to crap and the show looses a lot of the otherworldly feel that it has in the first season and just goes for weird. There's a particular moment in the second season where you can tell it's all gone wrong, I won't spoil it here though. The last two episodes are actually pretty good, the rest of season is really pretty bleh.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Takashi Miike's MPD-Psycho mini-series: Any good? I've just started reading the manga, and I'm told that turns to crap and piss-water quite rapidly. I'm wondering if the TV series will be any different.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
The second season, the writing goes to crap and the show looses a lot of the otherworldly feel that it has in the first season and just goes for weird. There's a particular moment in the second season where you can tell it's all gone wrong, I won't spoil it here though. The last two episodes are actually pretty good, the rest of season is really pretty bleh.

I think the beginning of the season has some strong episodes, but after that it's pretty hit and miss until the last two.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Peaks fan chiming in!

The first season and Fire Walk With Me are undoubtably the best of the series, but the second season isn't terrible--it's more a mixed bag. It starts off great, loses steam around episode eight or nine, then falls apart until the last five or so episodes of the season. Honestly, though, it's worth sitting through the whole thing for the finale. Lynch's most terrifying creation, to me.

Anyone here (Dracko?) like Danger Man? I picked up the boxset about a month ago and have been sparingly watching the half-hour episodes. It's really good so far! I also watched the first hour-long ep. McGoohan is amazing.

Speaking of which; what's your favorite episode of The Prisoner? I'm going to say Arrival, Many Happy Returns, or The Chimes of Big Ben. Maybe.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to catch some Danger Man, but haven't been able to so far.

My fav ep would undoubtedly be Once Upon a Time, leading into Fall Out, of course. R.I.P. Leo McKern. Dance of the Dead is also excellent.

I really need to rewatch the McGoohan episodes all over again and get my hands back on my copy of the sequel comic.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once upon a time is totally great.

living in harmony?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is cool. I don't know if I like The Girl Who Was Death over that one, though. Probably not, all things considered.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like The Girl Who Was Death, since it basically sets out to out-Avengers the Avengers.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schizoid Man is my favorite by far. I'm a sucker for doppelgangers, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's so well done, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, yes please!
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally watched The Office in its entirety. An amazing show. In fact, it was so damn grim, bleak, by turns pitiful and infuriating and always uncomfortable, that they had to do that copout in the end and redeem David Brent a bit and give a fantasy ending for Tim and Dawn.

Still, the show highlights all the good things about the British: bluntness, brave, vicious comedy, and a willingness to be mercilless.

Let's not even talk about the castrated American version of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the American version? Maybe it's because I've not seen the British version or because I've worked in American ofices before but they seemed to capture "the everyone tries too hard and everybody wishes all of their coworkers would die but is too nice to say anything" vibe pretty well.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, they're completely different shows, and have been since about midway through the first season (of the US). On its own, the US version is a decent little sitcom, not exactly a laugh riot, but occasionally clever. Unfortunately, given that they were marketed and meant to be the same kind of show, comparisons are inevitable. And compared to the original, the US version is about as edgy as a watermelon.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
it makes me sad that there will probably never be an official DVD release of Daria since most of the episodes you can download are of not-so-great quality. I remember spending hours on weekends while I was in high school watching the Daria marathons they used to run on MTV.

daria doesnt hold up to the test of time at all
the only thing thats enjoyable now that im not fifteen years old is sick sad world and thats still kind of contrived
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So, Takashi Miike's MPD-Psycho mini-series: Any good? I've just started reading the manga, and I'm told that turns to crap and piss-water quite rapidly. I'm wondering if the TV series will be any different.

skip it
totally sucks

rushed and nonsensical and yawn
the manga does turn to shit really fast! the show is always shit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I heard to that effect too. I stopped reading the manga about four volumes in.

Have you ever read BLAME!, daph?

On topic: My mother owns the 1979 BBC mini-series Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy starring the awesome Sir Alec Guinness. I'll give it a look some time while I'm home.

I really want to see Cracker.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey my mom has that series too, i just remember the title being on the shelf, i know nothign about it

what is it
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mini-series based on the eponymous John le Carré novel. It's to do with KGB moles within the MI6 of the 1950s or so, to my understanding, based on his own early experiences as a spy.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it's really quite good!

There was a sale yesterday and I got the first season of Spooks for a steal. It is the only good season. Rapidly after that, because they realized it was getting successful, the BBC made sure it turned to Hollywood shit with extra massive pro-statist scenes like only that cunt channel can do.

Example: Terrorist woman legs it in the streets of London. She is cornered by armed SO19 types. Our Multi-Ethnic But Very Heavily Southern Accented Hero Agent wins her over by being nice and saying that he will not harm her.

God, I seriously wouldn't mind if the BBC building got blown to bits. It doesn't help they've been quite blatantly paid off to cover up the major, major issues involving this EU nonsense.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
There was a sale yesterday and I got the first season of Spooks for a steal. It is the only good season. Rapidly after that, because they realized it was getting successful, the BBC made sure it turned to Hollywood shit with extra massive pro-statist scenes like only that cunt channel can do.

God, I know. I love the first, and to a certain extent, the second series of Spooks. The brutal storytelling and unflinchingness of it all really hooked me, but once Tom Quinn left and the team of Whoops-It-Turns-Out-It-Wasn't-Muslim-Terrorists-After-All-Gosh-Aren't-MI6-A-Bunch-Of-Cunts (TM and patent pending) writers got to it, it went downhill faster than you can say the ends justify the means.

Also the cliffhanger ending of Season 1 was fucking great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least, the BBC should wake up, smell the coffee and realise it's nowhere near as interesting or intelligent as HBO.

Oh, and House is back on again. I still enjoy that series in spite of its last two seasons perhaps being slightly less solid than the first one. I'm having a good time with the fourth one so far, though. It's a bit more consistently good than the ups and downs beforehand.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick aside, since my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Dracko, what exactly are you referring to with the BBC and the EU? Living in the U.S., I miss all this stuff. Sad

I haven't really been watching much TV. Oh, right, Black Books. Please, everyone watch Black Books.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find this entry and it's links to The Devil's Kitchen and EU Referendum, as well as this video, of use.

Note that BBC reporters were present at the events shown in that video - which has been attempted to be suppressed from YouTube a number of times already. And they failed to report on it. Mainly because they're on the take and the government's lapdog and anyone paying for a TV license should keep in mind that they have fuck all obligation to do so even if the BBC use scare tactics to try and get you to.

The short of it is: Special interests prevail and we're expected to take it because, surely, joining cultures so radically different to one another in one happy union is a good, brotherly thing!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
At the very least, the BBC should wake up, smell the coffee and realise it's nowhere near as interesting or intelligent as HBO.

Oh, and House is back on again. I still enjoy that series in spite of its last two seasons perhaps being slightly less solid than the first one. I'm having a good time with the fourth one so far, though. It's a bit more consistently good than the ups and downs beforehand.

The fourth season has been pretty good just for the whole constant "That's idiotic. You're fired" thing.

Make sure you keep up on how absurd the medicine is here! The most recent episode's especially funny: "Osteosclerotic (and osteosclerotic) bone is harder than normal, but so hard that it is actually brittle and fractures are common. Chase would have shattered the bone, not scorched it — plus I find it harder to believe that any bone, even hardened bone, would be stronger than surgical steel."

Or, my favorite: "There is no definitive treatment for [naegleria]. There are some drugs that should work, but the patients usually end up dying anyway." Whoops, we gave one of our main characters a technically incurable disease!

The guy's actually pretty lenient with the grading. They kill off one of the main characters and he gives the medicine a B. Also he's a terrible writer.

I like that House's presents in the most recent episode included a "second edition Conan Doyle."

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys i am addicted to the WIRE
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if and when a prospective box set collection of all five seasons of The Wire is planned to be released?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I've got season 5 on pre-order. #3 was the tits.
parkbench

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally moved on to season 5 and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I've read many critiques saying the same thing, too.

It just doesn't have the same 'tour de force' feeling the last four seasons (especially season 4) had. For some reason they decided to hire a slew of very un-talented actors and now there are so many story archs that events across the board are fairly normalised. This doesn't help that some things are just getting out of hand--mcnutty and the serial killer? mcnutty fucking a chick on the back of his hood? I guess these things are alright but it's beginning to feel like "soap opera syndrome," where every character can become anything at any time and so therefore their depth gets weaker and weaker.

Maybe I'm just frustrated about Carcetti and McNutty after everything that happened in season 4, but still, I think something's up. Then again, I'm only up to episode 3, and I've heard the plot thickens--so I'll keep watching.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of the first season of the Wire I never felt like I fully understood my feelings for the season before the halfway point, and on some (season 2) I didn't feel like I liked where it was going until episode 9.

Anyways, I love the Wire, but I'm not sure if I'd pay HBO box set prices for it. Perhaps if it was about $125-$150 range, but it would end up being over $200 I'm sure.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Discount. The sale's been extended to the 29th!

You know how British shows have about the same ludicrous pricing as HBO stuff? I got this for $120-something. Which isn't bad, for a complete series set.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My order of the full set of Cracker is in the mail. I found it for £20 less than the market price.

I can't fucking wait.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone around here watch Heroes? I've never seen the thing, but I remember people talking about it back in the balloon store that I worked at. From my uninformed viewpoint, the series looks like the same tacky comic book shit that's been gaining momentum over the past few years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it is.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's nothing really remarkable. Basically, The X-Men for people who don't like comic books. Even by TV standards it's fairly trite. Yet it is charming and well-done for what it is, and it seems to realize its own failings. It just shrugs them off and charges ahead, which is admirable.

I dunno. It's genial; I enjoy it. Everyone hates the second season, so you know that's where it gets interesting. It's a bit more contemplative and less tacky than the first season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may as well watch Smallville if you're going down that slippery slope.

Or Doctor Who.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: