The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give me PSX and earlier suggestions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
wait back up and tell me more about psx xcom

Um, it has a worse interface than the ones for the computer. It's UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown but now it takes up a whole memory card and you need to buy a psx mouse. Use DOSBox to play it.

But it's still X-Com and that's my favorite strategy game. so <3 <3 <3
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
T Wes average platformers since Crash: NSMB, Yoshi's Island DS, Kirby Squeak Squad, Super Princess Peach

See, taken as a pure platformer I'd say the original three Crash games are better than any of these. Note that I haven't played Kirby yet, but going by the GBA Kirby games Crash wins hands down.

I also stand by my assertion that these are all good games. Some of them might not be as good as they once were (Star Gladiator and Zero Divide come to mind), but I liked them all and still think there's something good you can take away from playing them.

I get the impression that a lot of the hate comes from assumption rather than experience. It's easy to assume that something like Pac-Man World is just a shitty Pac-Man platformer, but I find it hard to believe that anyone who's actually played it past the first few levels didn't find it charming and fun. It's one of those games that I wouldn't have ever bought for myself, but I ended up getting it for free and really digging it. I would have bought it had I known how good it was!

Re: X-Com: It's just like Dongle says. It's an exact port of the PC game, and the interface and memory card usage is pretty bad. Still, it's where I've played the game most, so it's on the list. Given the option, get it for PC.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
They're hardly in the wrong.

Every charming, slightly quirky platforming or adventure game I play is an n64 game in spirit!

That said, Chibi Robo is one of the best N64 games of this last console cycle. Close competitors are Animal Crossing and Bomberman Generations!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like playing DS games based on liscensed propertires because they're like looking into an alternate universe where the N64 never died out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
[
Every charming, slightly quirky platforming or adventure game I play is an n64 game in spirit!!

Yes, Pitfall the Lost Expedition rocks. Especially with all the little nods / winks to Metroid (and to a lesser extent Zelda).
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a completely anticlimactic ending to the thread.

I went to the best of the used game stores the other day and they had virtually nothing. The game selection in general was smaller, for anything older than the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation there was virtually nothing. I guess a while ago they stopped buying games for most of these systems. As a result, I didn't find anything that was on my list, even for the N64 which I figured was a shoe-in.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll probably be picking up a few of the titles listed here online used to round out my colleciton anyway.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone have an opinion of Parappa 2 for PS2? The original seems mildly rare now but the sequel is rather common and I'm curious if this is because it isn;t very good.

And does anyone have any feelings about the new Prince of Persia series for one console versus another (in the same vein as Killer 7 should be played on Gamecube)? Ifigure I'll get the xbox versions for the cleanest graphics, but really I can do any of the three consoles and comparable versions cost about the same.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Prince Of Persia in name only, they play nothing like the older games so if you have fond memories of the series you probably should keep it at that. However, if you want a parkour combat simulator then you should definitely jump right in.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I understand that. I've played Sands of Time a bit and enjoyed it.

That said, if any of the new games stop part-way through and ask me for the thirteenth word on page 62 of the manual, I will be pleased.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Also, while I'm here, does anyone have an opinion of Parappa 2 for PS2? The original seems mildly rare now but the sequel is rather common and I'm curious if this is because it isn;t very good.

I know it was widely enjoyed but I was disappointed with it compared to the original. The plot is dumb and the songs generally aren't good, plus it's way too easy. I beat the entire game without losing once, so the whole thing just went in one ear and out the other, so to speak. I remember having to practice and master each song on the original. It's got some pretty great moments, though. But Um Jammer Lammy is way better.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
That said, if any of the new games stop part-way through and ask me for the thirteenth word on page 62 of the manual, I will be pleased.

Very Happy
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parappa 2 has probably the best implementation of freestyling that NaNaOnSha has managed; this shines particularly in the two-player battle mode, which is entirely based on the back-and-forth mutation of a particular phrase. (You can play the two-player battle mode against the computer, if you like. And I do!) They actually attempt to use this to incorporate difficulty levels (the more you replay levels, the more chopped-up the music gets), but unfortunately it only sort of works. It just never gets very hard.

And yeah, the plot is really awful, in a "these games need to be EVEN MORE ZANY DAMMIT" sort of way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parappa 2 blows asshole. Just play Parappa 1, Umjammer again, Vib-Ribbon, or Mojib-Ribbon if you want a Nananaonsha fix. A better option might also be Tamagotchi for the DS, which is by them and may or may not be good!

-Wes

EDIT: See, I don't like absolutely every game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seconding recommendations of at the very least the original crash and saga frontier.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that someone gave me Parappa 2 for free and I played it and thought "this is ass". Then I said that and someone informed me that the game gets more and more challenging as you play though the loops. There are something like 20-some loops to the game each getting more difficult. I may be wrong on this though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: