The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games that make you feel awesome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Games that make you feel awesome Reply with quote

I'm looking for a game that can evoke a certain kind of feeling- the kind I get when I watch a really great martial arts fight (I'm thinking of the coolie, tailor and cook versus the axe gang fight in Gongfu (or Kung Fu Hustle, if you will)- perhaps not the best martial arts sequence of all time, but surely one of the best-scored), or a dance sequence (Singin' in the Rain comes to mind), scenes where the sight of people doing beautiful and/or impossible things with only the power of their bodies combines with wonderful music to create something truly awe-some, something that leaves you breathless, feeling more alive than you had before you saw it.

I'm looking for a game that can capture that ephemeral feeling, which I can't quite give a name to. The first ten minutes of Beyond Good & Evil nearly did. It had the sights, it had the sounds, but it fell short simply because it was too damn easy- I couldn't connect with the images of my character attacking her enemies with acrobatic grace, because what I input into the game didn't really feel like they corresponded to her actions. Odd as it may sound, I'm looking for something where I need to put in a certain amount of effort and skill in order to make my character do incredible feats.

What I want is... to face a challenge that seems unsurmountable, which then forces me to learn and adapt and develop my skills to the point where when I can finally defeat the obstacles that the game presents me- that magic moment where it all clicks together and I realise that I've become that martial artist, that dancer, that person who does incredible feats that he/she thought impossible of him/herself. Remember that moment in The Incredibles where Dash realises he can run on water, and laughs with sheer delight? I want that.

I think Virtua Fighter 4 might satisfy my criteria (well, except for the music, which doesn't really add to the feel of the game, not for me anyway), but I've never been particularly good at fighters and I don't have the time to go down to the local arcade and fight with real people... so yeah, I'm thinking more of a single-player game (yes, I've already thought of DMC3!). Doesn't even have to be a game where you control a human or humanoid, or one with "realistic" representations. In some ways, I think an abstract presentation might render a... purer play experience.

So yes, this is a very long-winded way of saying I want a game that's really, really difficult, has a solid learning curve, and forces you to be genuinely skilled in order to win.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Godhand. It'll be pretty hard at first, but there are vids to teach you on youtube.

Also, Dynasty Warriors (or Devil Kings, but I haven't played that yet).

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toribash.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance Dance Revolution-esque games? Okay, I've only played it in the arcade but this probably hits a lot of your points except seeing a character do it on screen.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning Eleven.

Seriously, it's the fighting game of sports games. It's a pity that the hardcore shooter/fighter/'core games crowd probably ignores it because it's a "jock" game, because it's one of the best games ever made in terms of handling gameplay depth and complexity. It definitely meets all of your criteria.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd almost go for Burnout 3. The fact that everything is practically blurred and if you even come close to another vehicle you spin out.... when you get good at the game, it is so easy to get into a Burnout 'trance' where it is all flickers of impulse behaviour.

I love it.

Burnout 4 had some of those moments but the fact that you can ram same-way traffic was kind of detrimental in this respect.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. And if it wasn't good enough on its own grounds, the story and the way it's told to the player is quite exquisite in its simplicity, not to mention the soundtrack.

The Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog series for sheer speed is quite fantastic, especially in the second and third. And Rolling Thunder when played through right does give off a sense of finesse and choreographed bullet play.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Get Godhand. It'll be pretty hard at first..

Yeah, but it's totally worth it to learn the game. It's no worse than the difficulty of most 16-bit games and previous.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play DMC3 on hard and don't use Trickster. There are videos on youtube to help for that as well.

Seconding godhand.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Toribash.

Oooh, yeah. Great suggestion. There are actually independent servs set up with special rules if you google enough.

Yeah, I had some legendary matches in Toribash.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Especially if you're replaying a level which you already know the steps to. What a feeling of freedom! Not only do you get the satisfaction from successfully executing a complicated series of moves, but it looks great. I want someone to just make a parkour game already.
Six

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the N guys are working on that, actually.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assassin's Creed is supposed to have Parkour elements.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fear. deal death in sloooooooowwwwmooooootttiiooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Max Payne.
Also Zone of the Enders.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time pilot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting a bit specific, but the third level of Low-G Man for the NES made me feel positively heroic when I beat it. You scale a giant robot and drive your spear into his head! Is Shadow of the Colossus that wicked?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vulture is.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Hawk: American Wasteland had some Parkour in it, but it wasn't executed too well.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ocarina of Time you go from a little boy who can barely uproot a bush to a grown man of unimaginable strength. This is incredible if it's the first Zelda game you've ever played and you don't know what's coming.
Perseus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Tony Hawk: American Wasteland had some Parkour in it, but it wasn't executed too well.
Sad to hear. I would think that if anyone, besides the PoP team, could pull off parkour well, it'd be Neversoft. Say, I should get myself one of the Tony Hawk games- which would be best? I'm thinking... either 3 or 4.

Six wrote:
This is getting a bit specific, but the third level of Low-G Man for the NES made me feel positively heroic when I beat it. You scale a giant robot and drive your spear into his head! Is Shadow of the Colossus that wicked?
dark steve wrote:
The vulture is.
QFT.

Also, specific examples are great- please post more! I've never heard of Low-G Man, but I'll give it a shot sometime.

A good, hard boss fight can be spectacularly exciting! I remember the first time I took down Nightmare in Metroid Fusion, after dying more than a dozen times in the attempt. That was really, really cool. The chase scenes in that game were also heart-pumpingly exciting, though for entirely different reasons. Metroid Fusion is a very under-rated game.

Harveyjames wrote:
Toribash.
I'm slightly put off by the complexity, but I'm willing to give it a try, especially if there's a good online scene.

silentmatt wrote:
I'd almost go for Burnout 3. The fact that everything is practically blurred and if you even come close to another vehicle you spin out.... when you get good at the game, it is so easy to get into a Burnout 'trance' where it is all flickers of impulse behaviour.

I love it.

Burnout 4 had some of those moments but the fact that you can ram same-way traffic was kind of detrimental in this respect.
I love Burnout 3! But in a fit of altruism, I gave away my copy to a younger cousin... Fool that I was. I need to buy this game again.

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Winning Eleven.
Yeah all my football-playing friends swear by it. It's a bit intimidating, but that's what I'm looking for right now!

Harveyjames wrote:
In Ocarina of Time you go from a little boy who can barely uproot a bush to a grown man of unimaginable strength. This is incredible if it's the first Zelda game you've ever played and you don't know what's coming.
I dunno... I played til the part where you travel through time, are all grown up and get to ride Epona, but I got bored after that and stopped. However, I started playing Ocarina just after completing Wind Waker, so I was probably just burn out on all things (3D) Zelda at that point. Might give it a spin again sometime, but Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are higher on my list of Zeldas to play.

Also, I'm gonna get me DMC3 and God Hand next week, and I'm going to try to finally complete Viewtiful Joe (stuck at Fire Leo- that bastard of a boss!) this week, and start on RE4 Mercenaries.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the new Prince of Persia series seems designed to fulfill this exact need without the extreme difficulty part. It's just about this constant physical motion with crazy ass acrobatics and wall-running. I'm beginning to think Sands of Time was actually my least favorite of the three, because they didn't understand what they were offering there. Warrior Within, despite the aesthetic misteps (growling and bad metal), improved upon it by recognizing the primary appeal of the thing, and making combat more fluid (and less interruptive). I think the third one may be the best of them, due to the addition of instant kills to remove large chunks of combat entirely, but I'm not certain cause I haven't played much of it yet.

But if you're really set on skill-based, maybe Shinobi (the PS2 one) offers something? Ninja-midair-combo-killing something?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm slightly put off by the complexity, but I'm willing to give it a try, especially if there's a good online scene.

You know, I was too--frustrated for a bit, too. But you learn it. Once you learn it, you realize how open the gameplay is. You start realizing that just by flexing this and that, that you can jump in the air and kick that sucker right in the face, or grab his arms and yank em off or what have you.

I would also suggest trying several different servers--some have dismemberment off (dubbed "judo"); others have extended round times (meaning, you execute a move, and more seconds pass between then and your next. offers a lot more strategy).
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last boss of Ikaruga gives me a mega adrenaline rush. The rest of the game does not. Take that as you will.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't completely fill the difficulty objective, but there's pretty much no other handheld game that can reach Ninja 5-O's level of "holy shit I am a total badass". Pity it's so short!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare Creatures on the PS1. Dude you can like chop werewolves the fuck in half.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:
Winning Eleven.
Yeah all my football-playing friends swear by it. It's a bit intimidating, but that's what I'm looking for right now!

It has a very good difficulty curve to it in that if you start out at the lower levels, you will probably discover how to beat the CPU with a certain set of tricks or strategies fairly quickly. Then these tricks and strategies won't be as effective against the next level of AI difficulty, although they will form a foundation for learning new tricks and abilities, etc. This continues until you can win more than you lose on the highest difficulty.

And playing against somebody else is really the heart of the game. Playing against the CPU can be fun (especially in Master League, which is like a very basic Football Manager) and it'll teach you the mechanics of the game; however, going up against somebody else is one of the most intense experiences I've ever had with games.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes bubble bobble and paperboy make me feel awesome.

colors and sounds, colors and sounds. flashing, flashing, press the red buttons.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Games that make you feel awesome Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
I'm looking for a game that can capture that ephemeral feeling, which I can't quite give a name to.

I've always thought of it simply as "badass factor", and it's present to some degree in most of the games I truly enjoy.

I'll second DMC3, Zone of the Enders, and Ninja Five-O/Ninja Cop (if it's too easy, there's always time attack mode)... but what you really, really, REALLY need is some good old fashioned Robotron. Trust me.
Perseus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
I've always thought of it simply as "badass factor", and it's present to some degree in most of the games I truly enjoy.

I'll second DMC3, Zone of the Enders, and Ninja Five-O/Ninja Cop (if it's too easy, there's always time attack mode)... but what you really, really, REALLY need is some good old fashioned Robotron. Trust me.

Badass factor... yeah that's a good enough name. Are you all recommending the first Zone of the Enders, or the second? I played the whole of ZOE2 at a friend's house one day- just sat in front of his TV the whole day til I finished the game, and felt glorious after (and during, actually). He assured me later that the first one wasn't as good so I haven't really considered playing it since then.

How does Ninja Gaiden fit into this discussion? And the old Shinobis (I won't go for the new one yet, since I'm already buying DMC3 and God Hand soon)?

Whoa, the guy who made Time Pilot went on to make Genji (insert real historical battle/giant enemy crab joke here)! That's... weird. Nice game (Time Pilot, I mean), but I haven't spent enough time with it to get a significant feel.

Also, playing emulated games on a PC keyboard kind of sucks!
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Double Dragon II

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elevator action returns has a pretty high badass factor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, definitely, and once you've figured out how to tackle it, so does the Metal Slug series.
Perseus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
elevator action returns has a pretty high badass factor.

Moreso than the original?

Quote:
Oh, definitely, and once you've figured out how to tackle it, so does the Metal Slug series.

Yeah, Metal Slug is totally awesome- or at least, 1, 2 X and 3 were. Didn't care for 4 too much and I haven't tried the later ones. I'll give them a shot once I get my hands on a Wii and Metal Slug Anthology.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say why, but Rival Schools/Project Justice instantly comes to mind.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Sad to hear. I would think that if anyone, besides the PoP team, could pull off parkour well, it'd be Neversoft. Say, I should get myself one of the Tony Hawk games- which would be best? I'm thinking... either 3 or 4.

Go Underground 1. Best gameplay and great soundtrack.

Games that make me feel badass -

Elevator Action Returns
Ristar
Burnout Revenge (a lot of people don't really like the whole "ramming traffic" aspects but I loved it)
Resident Evil 4
Strider
Most shumps (when I get good at them)
Rez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out Elevator Action Returns. It IS pretty bad-ass! It reminds me of Time Crisis in its over-the-topness. I liked playing as the dandy! EDIT: More games should let you play as dandies! That's another thing this game has in common with Time Crisis (4).

Lightgun shooters are pretty badass, come to think of it.

Also, playing Otocky was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had of late! I only managed to get to the 2nd stage, though.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, the answer is Noiz2sa.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ninja five-o

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda 1

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
I just tried out Elevator Action Returns. It IS pretty bad-ass! It reminds me of Time Crisis in its over-the-topness. I liked playing as the dandy!

what's wrong with JAD THE TAFF?

Quote:
Also, playing Otocky was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had of late! I only managed to get to the 2nd stage, though.

stage 10 is impossible. just, you know, so you don't get your hopes up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albatross from Rolling Thunder is your regular super-spy. Super-spies are the logical extension of the dandy. You should play Rolling Thunder.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sly Spy?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I use Cable's Air Hyper-Viper Super Combo five times in succession in Marvel vs Capcom 2 I feel like a time-traveling bad ass.
Completing an entire wave with a full kit in Sexy Parodius is mad silly bad ass.
Wesker's thrust fist punching through La Bella sisters is supreme bad-ass.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Sly Spy?

Yeah, but were the gameplay is cool and slick as well.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if you like Data East games you'll have a hell of a time with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunstar Heroes

_Marcel Duchamp
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangai-O

Don't know how hard that is to track down, but the whole "wait 'til your just about to be slaughtered, than scatterbomb" feeling is just the bomb-diggity.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel most like a badass when playing:

Super Metroid
Meteos
Elite Beat Agents

Super Metroid is different from the other two in that I don't feel that I am excelling because of me so much as I feel that I am excelling because of what Samus can do. With Meteos and Elite Beat Agents, I am proud of me and me alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: