The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picking up anything this month? (December Edition)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look! Look at what the Internet has done to me!!!

It has some pretty crappy things about it. I don't usually enjoy playing games that are, uh, like this. It feels like a guilty pleasure, since it's vapid in the end. I'm not really a hardcore skill-gamer type, so it's awkward for me to talk about this, okay??
antitype

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tomorrow I will go buy a "chicken" sandwich and that Sneak King game.
B coma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people give it a bunch of grief for not being panzer dragoon zwei zwei, but I think Orta is pretty damn awesome. especially on hard.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting Pathologic! Dracko, we must have like a mind link or somethin'.

I'll probably pick up some other stuff too, but most of my cash is going towards a new computer.

Shapermc wrote:
dhex wrote:
Quote:
As they're on special offer, I intend to purchase both Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Pathologic.
coc is well-made but frustrating, at least to me. think of it as unsurvival horror.

Yeah, CoC was too frustrating... but it hinted at doing so many things so well! Quite the shame that I deleted my save just so that I wouldn't be compelled to beat my head against a wall play it more.

This was the hardest game to review. I wanted to sing its praises but so many things were sloppy! Eventually a fan-made PC patch came out which fixes many of the more frustrating moments of the game (or atleast tones them down) which kinda pissed me off, because I wanted to go back and re-review it.

Dracko, make sure you install this patch. Frustration down!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one find this patch and what does it do?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research, it seems that I may have been fooled? The only thing I can find is a patch that takes out the intro sequence... I'm thinking this patch stops the intro sequences replaying everytime you die? Unfortunately, the thread I first heard about it is gone. Hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
I almost bought Knights of the Old Republic, too, but it seems like I've read a lot of negative things about it around here recently — nothing specific, but stuff like "KotOR sucks". What's so bad about it? I might be curious enough to pick it up at some point, anyway.

Here's some stuff I wrote way back on IC:

As for KOTOR, I played it all the way through to the end, and I daresay I even enjoyed it. Somewhat. I loved the Nietzscheanism of the Sith -- I've never seen explorations of the "dark side's" attitudes/philosophies like that before. I liked that about it. Playing the game was more boring. The characters, save the old neutral jedi, were very cookie cutter and dull. I hated the way the game pretended to give you freedom to make choices and get to know your characters and all that crap when it was executed in such contrived ways. It was like Tri-Ace games. So full of false promises. I hated it so much for all of that stuff, which was what I had been most excited about, that I decided to troll it to little pieces whenever anyone brought it up, and I did so for a good year and a half.

Anyway, trying to be honest and cut past my feelings, I recall actual fighting being pretty dull though it did make some effort to Deus Ex it up. All I really enjoyed about the game was customizing lightsabers (fucking awesome, I want MGS4 to be like this only, like, as action and with a +12 Complexity bonus) and talking to people to find out about their cultures and philosophies.

Generally, I just really dislike it when KOTOR gets respect. It's the farthest thing from special.

Something jdoe wrote:

Morality in RPGs is idiotic no matter how the developer presents it. A player can never "play as himself" through an character and see how he comes out. It's entirely artificial. It only gets worse when you get a "dark side points gained" message or you grow horns, which blatantly tells you how ethical your choice was. KOTOR hit rock bottom when at the end could completely change your character's alignment off of one dialogue tree. It's not even subtle and basically proves how meaningless the morality system was in that game. It's there so you can make a save and see the other ending.
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
antitype wrote:
I almost bought Knights of the Old Republic, too, but it seems like I've read a lot of negative things about it around here recently — nothing specific, but stuff like "KotOR sucks". What's so bad about it? I might be curious enough to pick it up at some point, anyway.

Here's some stuff I wrote way back on IC:

As for KOTOR, I played it all the way through to the end, and I daresay I even enjoyed it. Somewhat. I loved the Nietzscheanism of the Sith -- I've never seen explorations of the "dark side's" attitudes/philosophies like that before. I liked that about it. Playing the game was more boring. The characters, save the old neutral jedi, were very cookie cutter and dull. I hated the way the game pretended to give you freedom to make choices and get to know your characters and all that crap when it was executed in such contrived ways. It was like Tri-Ace games. So full of false promises. I hated it so much for all of that stuff, which was what I had been most excited about, that I decided to troll it to little pieces whenever anyone brought it up, and I did so for a good year and a half.

Anyway, trying to be honest and cut past my feelings, I recall actual fighting being pretty dull though it did make some effort to Deus Ex it up. All I really enjoyed about the game was customizing lightsabers (fucking awesome, I want MGS4 to be like this only, like, as action and with a +12 Complexity bonus) and talking to people to find out about their cultures and philosophies.

Generally, I just really dislike it when KOTOR gets respect. It's the farthest thing from special.
Welcome to the wonderful world of BioWare!

I think I'll just throw out the stock answer for morality done right in a rpg and say Fallout.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's contrived because they make the morality so obviously black versus white. It is Star Wars, sure, but a little ambiguity probably wouldn't hurt, this going for other RPGs.

I'm very interested to see how Mass Effect will play out in that aspect, by virtue of its ethical premise: You can either bring unity to the galaxy and all the species affecting it, or use your position in a panuniversal security council to raise humanity to dominate it.
internisus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It's contrived because they make the morality so obviously black versus white. It is Star Wars, sure, but a little ambiguity probably wouldn't hurt, this going for other RPGs.

It's not as though they were oblivious to this. There's that awesome old Jedi who is completely neutral and makes more sense than anyone else in the entire game. But regardless, the designers only ever presented you with choices like "save the poor children from the bad thugs or shake them down yourself".

Lasa wrote:
I think I'll just throw out the stock answer for morality done right in a rpg and say Fallout.

That's funny; on IC, the very material I quoted from myself garnered the response "play Fallout". However, by now, I actually have. And, yeah, I think I can agree. For one thing, the goodness and evilness of your choices is not usually obvious, but even more impressively, I have no qualms doing things like selling my NPC companions into slavery for a few thousand bottlecaps. I would never, ever do something like that in most RPGs. I'm still not sure what got into me! I just really needed the money.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
I think tomorrow I will go buy a "chicken" sandwich and that Sneak King game.

If you're lucky, you won't even have to buy the food, you can just go in and ask to buy the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found a copy of the GBA version of Scurge: Hive today. I really like it so far! It's so great that there are still lots of quality GBA games coming out, isn't it? This one's influences are pretty obvious — in fact, I'll coin a new term: "isometroid". Try it out, it rolls right off the tongue.

(So a google search informs me that I am not so clever and this is not the first appearance of this term. Ah, well. I like it anyway.)
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure it's not a story of thorstice?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solstice + Thor...?

Yeah, there's definitely some Solstice going on here. Alien Syndrome, etc.

I love the music in the save room. Reminds me of some DOS-era adventure games, or something.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see most people had problems with the morality system in KOTOR. I didn't like the game because I thought it was just damn boring. After everything I heard, I thought it would be some ALL NEW INNOVATIVE RPG EXPERIENCE, but it was just a standard RPG with Star Wars clothes. I found the gameplay totally medicore, and half the game is a fetch quest. GO TO SOME PLANET, TRY TO FIND THE STAR MAP, BUT YOU WONT BE ABLE TO JUST GET IT, YOU'LL HAVE TO SOLVE A MAJOR PROBLEM ON THE PLANET FIRST INVOLVING RUNNING THROUGH A BLAND DUNGEON BEFORE ANYONE HELPS YOU, yada yada. Standard RPG crap, I got bored after the first few planets but decided to play to the twist. I totally saw it coming, so much so that I was convinced it would actually be something else. I was wrong Sad

My ideal Star Wars game would be like a cross between KOTOR and Deus Ex.

I still want to try KOTOR 2 since the Planescape go wrote the story.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

What? I need some opinions now from people who hated the first game.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
This one's influences are pretty obvious — in fact, I'll coin a new term: "isometroid". Try it out, it rolls right off the tongue.

Oh, great.

Please, I beg you: propagate this horrible neologism no further. "Metroidvania" is bad enough already.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if we just call it "all the bad parts of metroid fusion with none of the good. and isometric graphics"?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
Cycle wrote:

What? I need some opinions now from people who hated the first game.

I second this notion. I somewhat liked KOTOR, despite it's terribly dull level and quest and character design (they don't come more irritating than that guy Carth), but that's only because it's Star Wars and let you fight with lightsabers. KOTOR 2 sounds like it could be interesting, but I've also heard that it doesn't so much end as just stop abruptly.

Lasa wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of BioWare!
Why do these guys get such love from the general PC RPG-playing population? I've yet to play the Baldur's Gate games (they don't interest me, but I might try them out for historical reasons), but all the other games in their catalogue have been... competent, at best, and yet invariably get totally high reviews.
antitype

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Please, I beg you: propagate this horrible neologism no further. "Metroidvania" is bad enough already.

No way, isometroid sounds much cooler than Metroidvania.

dessgeega, could you elaborate, please? I'm enjoying this more than I remember enjoying Metroid Fusion, and find that while Scurge: Hive is really quite different from Metroid games in general, it recaptures that feeling of desperation (instead of a beeping pulse we have a heartbeat racing faster as the infection grows and the threat of death becomes ever more urgent) in a way that none of them have since the first two in that series. So, none of the good parts of Metroid Fusion, maybe, but at least one important quality that that game lacked.

And again, that save room music. Goes a long way, for me.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
isometroid sounds much cooler than Metroidvania.

That's not saying much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this thread is so much fun.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
dessgeega, could you elaborate, please? I'm enjoying this more than I remember enjoying Metroid Fusion, and find that while Scurge: Hive is really quite different from Metroid games in general, it recaptures that feeling of desperation (instead of a beeping pulse we have a heartbeat racing faster as the infection grows and the threat of death becomes ever more urgent) in a way that none of them have since the first two in that series. So, none of the good parts of Metroid Fusion, maybe, but at least one important quality that that game lacked.

i found that it took the basic premise of fusion (minus the nifty doppleganger stuff) and stuffed it into an isometric format that made platforming more obtuse, while adding more text and repeating graphics. the infection meter is a good idea, but probably not for a game in which exploration plays so large a role, and especially not in one where tricky depth-less isometric graphics make it easy to screw up platforming and have to repeat whole rooms, losing lots of already-limited time in the process.

and yes, isometroid and metroidvania are both terrible terms; please avoid propogating them. the term "cadash-a-like" is acceptable, however.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's kind of like Landstalker with some good and not-so good additions? I'm kind of getting the idea from the "tricky depth-less isometric graphics" part.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Fred wrote:
Metal Slug Anthology is still on track to come out this month for PS2 and Wii, right?

I think so. Allegedly. Perhaps. The date has slipped to 12/14 for the Wii and 12/19 for the PS2. I'm really not sure what it is that always causes delays with SNKP ports, but I'm sure there's a good reason. My excitement pretty much departed when the date slipped the third time.

After being pushed back to the week after Christmas last week, the PS2 version of MSA has now been shelved until January. Shit!

Of course, the Wii version shipped on time, but it's not like I can just go out and buy a Wii...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: