The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About the experience not the game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: About the experience not the game? Reply with quote

What games would you say were more about creating an "experience" rather than providing what we normally would call a game? Ie. they are more interested in atmosphere / narrative / feeling than on typical 'gameplay'?

-A list to start it off.

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Forbidden Siren
Silent Hill series (okay I've never completed any of them, but it is obvious what they are trying to do).
Fatal Frame series.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid.

(not counting hunters or prime 2. yes counting fusion).

the original zelda, and link's awakening. and maybe twilight princess (need to play more of it!)

castlevanias I and II.

actually, yeah, add SOTN there too... and HOD.

not silent hill 3.

REmake (more than any of the other RE, games, really).

killer7 (no duh), and contact

final fantasy VIII (more than the rest of the series... though I reckon it applies to VI and VII too).

Secret of Mana -- actually, probably more so than any of the other games I've listed so far.

In other words, a good deal of games!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid Metroid 2.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planescape?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah -- morrowind, despite its best intentions to the contrary.
Laco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFCON. Also, everything else from the topic "Lonely Games".
Maz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half Life 2, most definitely. An FPS where shooting things takes a back seat to exposition and atmosphere.

Majora's Mask. The entire game is constructed around surreal concepts (omnipresent scowling moon, constant transformation of Link throughout the story, the way the overworld abruptly varies between ice or desert or coastline without any real transition) and twisting the everyday lives of the NPCs into something sinister. The gameplay is constructed out of the basic tenets of what made Ocarina work, but with a dark twist on everything (using the ocarina to create mannequins of yourself, fetch quests simply resolving certain issues without the general "happy" ending one expects).
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
killer7 (no duh), and contact

Hmmm...this might be why I really like these games. Let me explain. They are definitely about creating a feeling/atmosphere etc, but they are also intensely about being video games. Killer7 in particular has this story and atmosphere that it tells you is the focus of the game, but intentially obfuscates the story to the point where what actually happens in the game is entirely debatable. On top fo that, it sets up gameplay to specicifcally kind of mess with the ideas of how a game of its type should be played.

contact is kinda doing the same thing, in that the story/atmosphere kinda seems like the point, but it is underlaid with an insane amount of RPG-age. Stat building occurs even when you aren't doing anything other than walking. The entire game is driven by stats and collecting and messing witht he cooking/fishing minisystems.

Like I said, maybe this is why I like Grasshopper so far. They are making these great atmospheric games that are also so intensely tied to being videogames in ways that tie right back into the story/atmosphere, but also bring into question the conventions of games completely separate from the stories of the respective games. That Killer7's story (i still haven't finished contact, so no comment on this aspect yet for that game) exists as possible commentary on other games only adds this other layer to the equation.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knytt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly games that place their aesthetics/narrative/themes above or congruous with the idea of being a game (in a way that makes them, as boojiboy7 says, "intensely about being videogames"): SotC, Ico, Killer 7, Contact, Rez, D2, Enemy Zero, Silent Hill (1, 2, 4), the survival/horror genre at large, Metroid, Cave Story (perhaps), Flow, Myst, Gran Turismo, Shenmue, most RPGs.

Of course, this almost reads like a list of my favorite videogames.

Last edited by antitype on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the games being listed are intensely videogamey. Castelvania I is Mario with a whip, man. Things like Zelda and Metroid almost define videogames.

Anyway, Rez (because the mechanics are a bit lean in the bad "super model on a diet" way) and Deus Ex Machina for the C64 (because any interaction is mostly completely superficial) spring readily to mind.

Last edited by JamesE on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal Crossing?

Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Things like Zelda and Metroid almost define videogames.

I guess it could be said that all videogames strive to "create an experience", really, and thus this conversation is a bit navel-gazing...? I guess that's what we're getting at here, maybe: videogames that are particularly concerned with what they're expressing.

I probably could've listed Sons of Liberty, too.
vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenmue probably applies to this list.
benreed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype: I agree that ALL games are about creating an experience of some sort. It's really a meaningless thing to say about them in that respect.

A better term to use would probably be something like "X game's appeal lies more in its atmosphere" or "X title thrives (or, in harsher cases, lives or dies by) more by the emotions it arouses than by its system".

For my part, I usually ignore such things. Most of the games I love, I love for the system that drives them more than anything else. The character is, after all, an extension of oneself in the videogame -- and sometimes what oneself really wants is not to rescue the princess and save the kingdom, but to see how fast and how hard he can beat the dragon's scaly ass, and perhaps how long he can juggle him in the corner with his Shoryuken.

The freedom to do so is, after all, an experience in itself.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
knytt.

This game more so than any other on this list so far.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Party
Crash Team Racing
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers
Captain Novolin
Madden NFL 2002
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some games tip the scale towards experience (in the empathic sense) more than to game (in the gameplay/mechanic sense). Some are of more equal balance. Many arcade games (or arcade style games) are in the gameplay side of the scale with an emphasis on score and collecting (and stealing your money). Early console games tried very hard to mimic this, while early PC games tried to do their own thing. What we have now (and have since the late 8-bit/early 16-bit times) is an attempt of merger between the overly story/atmosphere heavy games, and the bare minimum yet mechanically heavy games. This leaves many games in no man’s land with which they are trying to do and usually succeeding in neither very well. Some games realize that they can’t master the mechanical side, or don’t want it as a focus (killer7) and these are the ones that are generally more “experience” related. Alternatively, they do the mechanics well, but have a very limited skill set of them (Ico/SotC). Some games realize that they are just intended to be built well and use the story to give the most basic of premise for the game and occasionally entertain you (God Hand). Game like Metroid are great because of the balance they can create between the two.

This is what separates a game from the vocal minority of a cult favorite into the mainstream. Look at the top rated and best of the best games and you’ll see a heavy balancing act going on (Super Metroid is constantly getting on the tops of these lists, even though I think it is one of the weaker games in the series proper). I think that Twilight Princess does a pretty good job of the balancing act.

The games that become the more cult of the niche of favorites usually screw up one end of the scale while attempting to balance it (Siren was mentioned, which screws up a lot of the mechanical side). You have to be very forgiving of the side that went wrong in order to enjoy these usually. Some people fell this way about Killer7 also, but you won't find people arguing that Siren's mechanics are enjoyable as much as ignorable, while people will occasionally state they enjoy Killer 7.

OH, yeah, I need to mention Umihara Kawase on this thread too.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than looking at games as part emotion and part mechanic, we need to look at the games that merge the two into one experience rather than as two parts that work without each other. A good example of this is the gameplay of ICO, where the intensity and desperation of the fighting lends itself very well to the narrative of the story. Another good example is Katamari, where the gameplay and the narrative are completely inseparable.
crispus attucks jr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacoma Knight in Bizyland, off the top of my head.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that Silent Hill is an obvious answer. I haven't played 3 yet, but 1, 2, and 4 all have gaminess wrapped up in their thematic horror. For instance, in the original, the nightmare world is brought into being by your need to progress where there is no real world route. SH has fascinated me for years because of this. SH2 is more ambiguous, but I think the argument could definitely be made that your descent into the abyss works by a sort of humorless parody of progress structure established by the first game, and it is pretty clear that the narrative generally employs your killing of the game's monsters. SH4 is very, very videogamey, and uses this as a base to do something interesting later.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathon 2 & Infinity

List thread?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
I guess that's what we're getting at here, maybe: videogames that are particularly concerned with what they're expressing.

Very true, and I think that games which combine the experience (expression) with enjoyable game mechanics are going to do better (and be more enjoyable) than games which merely excell at the 'experience' bit.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a game with good "gameplay" that isn't a good "experience"... it really just seems annoying.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
beige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrono Trigger, FF8, Sonic and Knuckles, and Knights of the Old Republic.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to sound like a troll here, honestly, but looking through this thread just seems like people are tossing out completely random titles of games they like, and there doesn't seem to be any understanding of necessary tension between or mutually beneficial intertwining of gaming and aesthetic/narrative expression. The Grasshopper talk is the closest thing to an exception that I can see.

Let's stop listing games already and break it down. What are some possible relationships between gaming and experience (if these are even terms we are comfortable with)? For example, let's start with the basic question: must there always be an emphasis on one over the other? Why? Why not?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already pointed out that this is a list thread! I'm way ahead of you!

I'm also working on an article explaining my answer so it will have to wait.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I don't know what the fuck everybody's been listing.
vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: About the experience not the game? Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kipple

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
I'm not trying to sound like a troll here, honestly, but looking through this thread just seems like people are tossing out completely random titles of games they like, and there doesn't seem to be any understanding of necessary tension between or mutually beneficial intertwining of gaming and aesthetic/narrative expression. The Grasshopper talk is the closest thing to an exception that I can see.

Let's stop listing games already and break it down. What are some possible relationships between gaming and experience (if these are even terms we are comfortable with)? For example, let's start with the basic question: must there always be an emphasis on one over the other? Why? Why not?

I agree with your analysis of the thread. This thread is like ramen: easy to make and filling, but not too nutritious. Plus it sticks to your insides.

A good start would be choosing a different term than "experience," or explicitly defining what is meant by saying a game "creates an experience". I don't mean to sound too pedantic, but every game is an experience since play always happens in the now. Playing is something you DO, so it's necessarily an experience.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: About the experience not the game? Reply with quote

I think that's just about the opposite of pedantic. This vocabulary is completely useless here. The concepts are simply too dependant on one another in practice for any theoretical progress to be made.

vision wrote:
Ketch wrote:
What games would you say were more about creating an "experience" rather than providing what we normally would call a game? Ie. they are more interested in atmosphere / narrative / feeling than on typical 'gameplay'?

vision wrote:
Seaman

Sorry to just throw a name on the pile/list, but I would need only offer a description of this game to explain why it fits perfectly. I can't think of a better example, in fact.

Using the language established early in the thread, even this example fails to make sense. Without the will to progress, to keep your seaman alive and enable it to grow, there is no narrative experience. It's a good instance of gameplay and narrative as one, perhaps, but not a case of one trumping the other.
vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: About the experience not the game? Reply with quote

--

Last edited by vision on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, with that, I think we might be getting somewhere. What I glean from your description there is a sense that the game is disguised as narrative experience. Monitoring and affecting diet and tank conditions is essentially a gameplay system in which you can succeed or fail, but the form it takes is bound up with the narrative reward for doing so such that they make for a singular experience. Is that right?
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
I guess that's what we're getting at here, maybe: videogames that are particularly concerned with what they're expressing.

Maybe I need to restate myself. I think we're talking about videogames that are highly conceptual in that they place emphasis on creating an experience through aesthetics, narrative, and (in most cases) gameplay mechanics — as opposed to functioning as a game with a lower level of conceptual awareness. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog is a videogame that is not meant to be much more than a videogame; its range of expression does not go much further than the actions of running, jumping, collecting rings, and bopping enemies allow it to (yeah, OK, you're liberating your little furry friends from the evil Egg-man, whatever). Something like SotC is very much a videogame, but with a much higher level of regard for expression and its own methods of "creating an experience".

I listed Gran Turismo for the same reason, even if it seems to stand in stark contrast with something like, say, Rez, (because of their entirely different approaches to aesthetics and gameplay): it's a game obsessively devoted to recreating the experience of racing/driving in real cars on a videogames console. And Rez, for that matter, is devoted to creating the experience of synaesthesia — wherein its 3D rails-shooter format just so happens to mesh flawlessly with the idea, generating a simple yet rich experience. I can imagine Mizuguchi spent a lot of time thinking about what sort of game would be best suited to his idea — or maybe it was clear from the start. In any case, I don't think anyone could argue that it's not a more concept/experience-oriented game than Star Fox (with what I perceive as a 3D rails-shooter first and foremost, with the furry space opera aesthetic sort of arbitrarily slapped on (unless I'm mistaken and someone decided the polygonal on-rails shooter would be the perfect format for their furry space opera, but I very much doubt this considering it was a showcase for the FX chip)). Right?

Shenmue is a good example of a videogame that was an idea first and a videogame second; the ambition behind it was a little too much for where videogames were at the time (too big for its britches, one could say), and as a result it's an interesting experience but not a very enjoyable game. Similar things have been said about Killer 7, though I find that one to be not only a fascinating experience but thoroughly gratifying as a game as well — this is a different subject entirely (minimal/restrictive/clean game design vs. 'free'/sandbox/unfocused game design? ... but anyway).

Is this getting anywhere?
internisus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
antitype wrote:

Maybe I need to restate myself. I think we're talking about videogames that are highly conceptual in that they place emphasis on creating an experience through aesthetics, narrative, and (in most cases) gameplay mechanics — as opposed to functioning as a game with a lower level of conceptual awareness. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog is a videogame that is not meant to be much more than a videogame; its range of expression does not go much further than the actions of running, jumping, collecting rings, and bopping enemies allow it to (yeah, OK, you're liberating your little furry friends from the evil Egg-man, whatever). Something like SotC is very much a videogame, but with a much higher level of regard for expression and its own methods of "creating an experience".

I'm not prepared to decide whether I think this is right or not, but just playing devil's advocate, I immediately feel the need to call this analysis extremely subjective. Another thing that occurs to me is that, from the way you're talking, even the most surreal videogame fitting our emerging criteria can be called a "simulation" of something. Like your description of Rez. So, Rez is a simulation of synaesthesia. Does that at all encapsulate what we're going for here?
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, well, I suppose any videogame could be viewed as a "simulation" of an experience, real or imagined, but for all intents and purposes we reserve that term for something that strives to simulate real-life occurrences. And there are of course grey areas: Gran Turismo is not what I'd consider a "pure" simulation (of a real-life occurrence), but it's closer to that idea than, say, Burnout. Rez is even further away from that idea, being so much abstraction.

So yeah, a lot of aspects of my analysis are quite subjective.

However, it may be worthwhile to consider the positions of Gran Turismo and Rez on the pongism chart, if we're to consider that an objective resource.
grumbel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: About the experience not the game? Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
What games would you say were more about creating an "experience" rather than providing what we normally would call a game?

Another World/Out of this World
Noctis
Seiklus
Myst
The Last Express
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are being really silly. I have to tend to agree with antitype's intent, even though I disagree with what he says.

Sonic the Hedghog aspires to be a great videogame as much as Shadow of the Colossus. Just because Sonic is about being fast and is very simple in an action reaction way doesn't mean it's not as much of a videogame. Shadow of the Colossus still uses button presses to express its story, but it's not just about actions and reactions. They both have emotions and attached to the narratives that you get out of their stories. The emotions are just different.

BUT ------

I think that antitype is on the right path. I like games that tie gameplay into experience. The experience is really just the narrative. The narrative is really just the story told. And the story told to us is really just what makes videogames entertaining. It doesn't matter what game. When you play Madden with your friends you talk about what team you played as and who you threw your awesome 80 yard touchdown to. You talk about how difficult it was for 3 quarters of the game, and then you talk about how you finally broke down their pass defense. If you can't tell that story.. well, it's not a worthwhile game.

A better example (at least for this crowd) is the Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Daigo SBO parry madness. Because we know how hard it is to parry we are super impressed that Daigo could pull an entire full parry when he already had so much pressure on him. The entire crowd also knew this, so when they saw the fight actually go down... well, the entire crowd goes home to put this video online to show their friends.

The narrative that happens in Sonic or Shadow or Street Fighter is dependent on the gameplay. Do you think Resident Evil would "have felt like the same experience" if it didn't control the way that it did? You guys are right. There is some sort of competition between the experience and gameplay. It's happened and one has suffered at the hands of the other. But, really, we're at a point with videogames that the two should be working together.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Sonic the Hedghog aspires to be a great videogame as much as Shadow of the Colossus. Just because Sonic is about being fast and is very simple in an action reaction way doesn't mean it's not as much of a videogame. Shadow of the Colossus still uses button presses to express its story, but it's not just about actions and reactions. They both have emotions and attached to the narratives that you get out of their stories. The emotions are just different.

Well, I was never suggesting that Sonic was any "less of a videogame", but yeah: this shows how subjective my views are in that I personally find SotC much more thoughtful and resonating.

vision's Seaman example lends itself to the intent of this thread much better, though. Actually, it's a lot like my reasoning with Rez: though it may be a videogame, it's obviously based on an idea where the gameplay aspects were implemented to support the experience. Then again, the same could be said about something as simply videogamey as Super Mario Bros.; the difference is in the creator's intent (firstly) and the player's response (secondly, but ultimately).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: