The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wii component cables: rage (and wi-fi question and zelda)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: wii component cables: rage (and wi-fi question and zelda) Reply with quote

Why aren't there any component D cables for the Wii? I bought one today, and when I tried to get a component cable, all they had was the one with the five or six fuckin' plugs in it. I . . . couldn't believe it.

I've had a bad couple of days -- internet got shut off at home!! Because my credit card number "didn't go through" when I registered four months ago. Thanks for telling me! So I can't even download any goddam Super Famicom games, what make the Wii's Japanese Virtual Console a hundred thousand times better than your pitiful America/European one. Hell! That, and they were sold out of the 5,000 yen 5,000 points + Classic Controller combinations!! They only had about fifty in the store, and I was number 69 (yes) in line. Did they just think it wasn't going to sell or what?!?!?

Also, it is skull-fuckingly amazing that a company that doesn't sell a proper component cable for their console also makes that console compatible only to Wi-Fi internet. I guess I finally have to get the wireless router. Well. That won't be too hard.

I don't want the Wi-Fi for my Xbox 360, though. I can't justify spending $90 for the offical Wi-Fi thing. (My PS3 and Macbook Pro and Wii all have it built-in, duh, so yeah. Go Microsoft.) So my question is, are there any wireless routers that, you know, have one or two standard LAN jacks for retard equipment? I'm asking because I know very little about this stuff, having just bought my first computer a week ago, et cetera.

Anyway, the component cable thing is what really chafes me. Are they or are they not going to release a D cable? I mean, you figure they would . . . right?

. . . Also Zelda BLOWS

or at least that's what I thought until I put the sensor bar beneath my TV and recalibrated the controller, and now I've gone from <T-T> to (o^^)b in like five minutes.

Man! I can see why a lot of people would complain about this game, why they'd complain to hell and back!!

Me, though!! Nope!!

I say this as one of those guys who gave up on Wind Waker after like three hours and felt proud of it.

Even if I was mad as shit about having to fish and rescue a cat and shit at the beginning. Now I'm really getting into it!! (Wish I had 480 p though <T-T> (<-- crying link)

There; lots of room for deviation and creativity in this thread here. I aim to inspire.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably get the Wii online by turning Wireless internet connection sharing on your macbook. I don't know that playing online would work, but downloading VC games should be no problem.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think compenent cables are going to be readily available eventually, or at least it'll be a situation similar to getting component cables for the GameCube. I know this is probably going to sound dumb to some of you but the main reason I'm not all gung-ho about getting in on the Wii at the moment (aside from not being able to afford it just yet) is that component cables are so hard to find right now. I sure as shit don't want to see what the games look like on my parents 42 inch LCD widescreen via a damn composite signal. No thank you, Nintendo.

SuperWes can point you towards a site that sells decent wifi routers for pretty decent prices. I plan on getting one for my 360 when I finally make the jump and get Xbox Live.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Nintendo pulled a really stupid move with this. Also, they underestimated the demand on these. Originally they were just going to have component cables online, then they announed that some stores will cary them here. But either way I read a quote for the Wii with some rep stating that Nintendo feels that there isn't really a demand for component cables.

Yeah, this was a huge fuck up and mis-calculation on Nintendo's part.

Also, I only got like 5 hours into WW, but loved 95% of TP. Can't explain that too well.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dongle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got component cables. Unfortunately my display can't show 480i via component. Is there any way to boot into 480P automatically?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, the component cables I ordered from Nintendo.com shipped this morning. They were much easier to find and buy than a PS3 or Wii system simply because Nintendo actually lets you give them money and then send you the item as soon as it arrives in stock. I'd recommend this method, as it worked pretty well for me.

As for the decent wi-fi router, umm I'm not sure what advice I can give you other than check the CompUSA ad weekly and look for one with hella rebates. I decked out my mom's house in wi-fi a few years back for like $60, and that included the router, a usb wi-fi adapter for her tivo (I know), and a wireless card for my laptop. It's cheap and relatively easy to set up.

Setting up my house in wi-fi was much more expensive. My final goal was to get the whole X-box media center shit working. My computer lets me record TV shows to the hard drive and then watch those TV shows wirelessly on my 360. This is nice and convenient, EXCEPT in order to stream video wirelessly you need to use the wi-fi A+G standard, which means you need the official Xbox wireless adapter (one of the CompUSA rebate routers works fine otherwise so I hear), and an A+G router, which is, like, $125 at least. It's not cheap, but once you get it set up it's nice.

I'm not sure if that answered anyone's questions, but that's my wi-fi experience above.

Something else of note: Nintendo is planning on releasing a USB Ethernet port adapter for the Wii some time early next year, available only from their website. If anyone want to use their Wii and doesn't have Wifi, this is probably your best bet.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
You can probably get the Wii online by turning Wireless internet connection sharing on your macbook. I don't know that playing online would work, but downloading VC games should be no problem.

This is a good idea. Past experience suggests you might have to set your router to assign static IP addresses, though? I think OS X's internet sharing always runs its own DHCP server, hence conflicts.
duomo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dongle, you could always memorize the exact movements required to change it into 480p and then hope for the best.
dongle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i already did that by memorizing the vibration pattern of the menus

but, you know, i'd like to know if there's a cleaner way to do it.
Kipple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only have to do it once, right? I thought that was one of the big pluses about the Wii—Nintendo finally made a console that remembers your display preferences, as opposed to the Gamecube where you had to hold B at the start of every game to switch manually into progressive scan.
duomo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I don't think that there is another way to do it that's any cleaner (you could cut open the cable and temporarily take out the pin that lets you go into 480p until you go to the menu).
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipple wrote:
as opposed to the Gamecube where you had to hold B at the start of every game to switch manually into progressive scan.

Wait, you mean my component cables haven't been working because I didn't hold down the 'B' button? That's what was wrong this whole time? Gah!

Last edited by Mr. Business on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oligophagy wrote:
Past experience suggests you might have to set your router to assign static IP addresses, though? I think OS X's internet sharing always runs its own DHCP server, hence conflicts.

That was never an issue for me. I'm suggesting this because I was able to get the DS online and do Nintendo Wifi through connection sharing on my iBook in a hotel once.

Also for wireless routers, I highly recommend the WRT54GL by Linksys. It's basically the WRT54G version 4, and the last that allows you to easily install an open source firmware to tweak the wireless settings. If you go and buy the WRT54 in a store now, you'll most likely get v5 which has a decreased amount of RAM and is really a pile.

I thought the reason Gamecube component cables were expensive and hard to find was because they needed a graphics chip in the cable, and that Wii cables weren't going to be designed the same way?
BalbanesBeoulve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nintendo online store has wii component cables right now, and supposedly they'll be in stores on December 15ish or around there. I don't even even have a wii yet because I'm having my parents buy me one for christmas, but I already ordered my cables. So come Christmas I'll be ready.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My component cables shipped from Nintendo today as well.

Why Wes needs component cables with an SDtv anyways, is a bit beyond me though.

ALSO: What the hell? You have to set the wii to progressive scan everytime?

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Business wrote:
Kipple wrote:
as opposed to the Gamecube where you had to hold B at the start of every game to switch manually into progressive scan.

Wait, you mean my component cables haven't been working because I didn't hold down the 'B' button? That's what was wrong this whole time? Gah!

If this were neogaf you'd have a bunch of people posting "pwned" cat memes.
duomo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper: Even if you can't do 480p, component's going to look a lot better than composite, and since there don't seem to be any s-video cables right now, it's the only other choice.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-related to wireless woes, does anyone know the release date for the Wii's LAN adaptor thingie? Always-on wireless internets scare me something cancerous!
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
My component cables shipped from Nintendo today as well.

Why Wes needs component cables with an SDtv anyways, is a bit beyond me though.

ALSO: What the hell? You have to set the wii to progressive scan everytime?

I have a SDTV and I use component cables for everything I can. Things tend to look twice as good!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You have to set the wii to progressive scan everytime?

No, it sticks. I'm disappointed that not all wii games are progressive scan, though.
Kipple

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
I'm disappointed that not all wii games are progressive scan, though.

Wait, really? Oh my, that is disappointing. I'll be using my Wii with a computer monitor half of the time, and this might make one of those Component -> VGA boxes out of the question, since that setup can't handle 480i either, only 480p.
km

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I think they made a nifty console, it seems like nintendo really dropped the ball on video output AGAIN.

Is it that hard to require devs to allow at least 480p? I mean, the Wii is supposed to be something like "three times more powerful!" than a GC, right? (as useless as that metric really is). The GC supported progressive on some games, sure the Wii can too!

And what happens in the VC? And on GC games? Are those all in 480i too? That really fucks over some people who happen to have the "wrong" HDTVs, and I'm sure nintendo knows that.

Are they as a company fundamentally incapable of seeing graphics as at least SOMEWHAT important? They obviously try to make things look nice in an iPod vomit sort of way, with the white gloss of the console itself, and the DS Lite. Why can't they translate this to the games themselves?

I'm sort of worried! I mean, right as of now, I see a lot more people getting HD capable displays. I myself, the typical poor college student, am getting a 22" 1080i capable display. What's the Wii going to be doing in the future when HD is ubiquitous and the little box just keeps looking like ass? Graphics can only not matter to a certain extent!
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc games on the wii display in 480p when they could've on the gc; all virtual console stuff will work in 480p if you ask it nicely.

you're making too much of this. chances are that if a game doesn't support 480p, you aren't going to want to play it that badly anyway.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:
Are they as a company fundamentally incapable of seeing graphics as at least SOMEWHAT important? They obviously try to make things look nice in an iPod vomit sort of way, with the white gloss of the console itself, and the DS Lite. Why can't they translate this to the games themselves?

I'm sort of worried! I mean, right as of now, I see a lot more people getting HD capable displays. I myself, the typical poor college student, am getting a 22" 1080i capable display. What's the Wii going to be doing in the future when HD is ubiquitous and the little box just keeps looking like ass? Graphics can only not matter to a certain extent!

You obviously don't have a Wii.

Also, you obviously aren't thinking about now. Nintendo didn't release their last console ever in November. They released their console that they thought was appropriate for 2006. When 2010 comes along and they have to bring out the Wiii, well, then we'll have a 3 cell processors working together for the Nintendo Sony game conglomerate Wiiga supporting super wide 1080p 13.1 Dolby Digital XHD.

But by then you'll complain why you don't just plug that shit in your head and hallucinate.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
km

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Also, you obviously aren't thinking about now. Nintendo didn't release their last console ever in November. They released their console that they thought was appropriate for 2006. When 2010 comes along and they have to bring out the Wiii, well, then we'll have a 3 cell processors working together for the Nintendo Sony game conglomerate Wiiga supporting super wide 1080p 13.1 Dolby Digital XHD.

But by then you'll complain why you don't just plug that shit in your head and hallucinate.

Is it enitrely unreasonable to expect something I paid decent money for to last more than a few years? HD is getting prevalent now not whenever nintendo wants it to.

I'm not complaining about the Wii's lack of higher resolutions specifically. I'm more irked by the complete disregard for the console's already present abilities.

Why would they put support for ED and component cables in the system if they thought no one would want them? And then why would they turn around and just ignore the obvious demand for these things? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly.. I think Nintendo's decision in this is probably a thought-out one. In some senses, they are making it brutally apparent that this is not a "hardcore gaming console".

They want to cater to all audiences - fine.
They want their games to be able to be picked up by any member of your family - great.
They want innovative gameplay to be more important than graphics - excellent.

I think in their mind, by not incorporating HD support, it kind of goes back to these ethics - they just want their console to be something everyone can plug into their television and play.

I'm not saying this is right or that they shouldn't of included HD support but - if you look at their overall marketing plan - I think that the people with HD televisions are probably in the minority as compared to their typical consumer.

Personally, I couldn't care less for HD support as, also a poor university student, I have a regular 17" television which can barely handle S-video. The prospect of me buying a new TV is both distant and far-fetched. As such, if I was given the choice between a Wii without any HD support and a more expensive one with all the HD stuff... I'd still buy the cheaper one.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipple wrote:
dongle wrote:
I'm disappointed that not all wii games are progressive scan, though.

Wait, really? Oh my, that is disappointing. I'll be using my Wii with a computer monitor half of the time, and this might make one of those Component -> VGA boxes out of the question, since that setup can't handle 480i either, only 480p.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It means no Trauma Center. I sold my component cables to a friend last night- I'm not going to switch cables on a per-game basis. Now I'm waiting for some s-video cables...
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentmatt wrote:
Personally, I couldn't care less for HD support as, also a poor university student, I have a regular 17" television which can barely handle S-video. The prospect of me buying a new TV is both distant and far-fetched. As such, if I was given the choice between a Wii without any HD support and a more expensive one with all the HD stuff... I'd still buy the cheaper one.

This says all that really needs to be said, really. HD gaming, for as vocal as its proponents are, is still in the minority. It's unfortunate that Nintendo didn't include HD support, but it's not a travesty of the same magnitude as, say, forgetting any sort of online features (see also: Gamecube. And Mario Kart does not count.)

Besides, the PS3 and XBox360 are the place to be if you're so concerned about all that fancy 4096pi 6400x4800 stuff anyways. I doubt Wii Sports is going to take my breath away in HD.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vocal minority is a very widespread problem.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may be big for you Americans right now, please take note that HD is not a big thing in other places in the world yet. For example, right here in Aus.
While you can get a HD TV for cheap now, no one really seems to know anything about it other than that it is "better". And the Sony style 1080p approach isn't smart when you have to pay upwards of AUD4500 to get a TV which supports 1080p.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I have a question:

I have a regular old CRT television that has the inputs for component video in the back but no HD capabilities.

would there be an appreciable difference in video quality if I bought the component cable for the Wii? (like, a difference worth the money?)

The other thing is, is that I might get and HD set in the future if I can find a good deal, at some point, but I might get the video cables now if there is any benefit to it.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
silentmatt wrote:

This says all that really needs to be said, really. HD gaming, for as vocal as its proponents are, is still in the minority. It's unfortunate that Nintendo didn't include HD support, but it's not a travesty of the same magnitude as, say, forgetting any sort of online features (see also: Gamecube. And Mario Kart does not count.)

Besides, the PS3 and XBox360 are the place to be if you're so concerned about all that fancy 4096pi 6400x4800 stuff anyways. I doubt Wii Sports is going to take my breath away in HD.

It's less of an HD thing and more of a picture quality thing. You don't really get much more detail with 480p. But with component cables (regardless of the resolution) you get a dramatically improved onscreen image.

Still, yeah it's more or less a vocal minority issue. On the other hand it's true that nintendo has been promoting the wii on HD widescreen monitors in all of their advertisements and stuff, so it's not unreasonable for those of us with HD displays to feel a little slighted.
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:

would there be an appreciable difference in video quality if I bought the component cable for the Wii? (like, a difference worth the money?)

It's actually been answered before, but YES. The difference between component and composite/s-video is extreme, regardless of resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GcDiaz wrote:
B coma wrote:

It's actually been answered before, but YES. The difference between component and composite/s-video is extreme, regardless of resolution.

I must be dumb because I thought I read the entire thread Sad thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I sure as shit don't want to see what the games look like on my parents 42 inch LCD widescreen via a damn composite signal.

You might age fifteen years in an instant, were you to see it!

My lord Zelda looks terrible through AV, and I keep playing it because [strike]I'm so lonely[/strike] the game is so good

I need that component cable now

now

now!!

None of the Japanese retailers have it. I found a Nintendo Wii pamphlet at the store where I tracked down my 5000 Wii points + Classic Controller for 5000 yen bundle (an excellent deal when you consider we have SHIN BOUKENJIMA over here and you don't), and there's a picture of a D5 component cable (for SUPERIOR!! viewing quality) right there. It says "On Sale December 2nd." I asked the guy at the shop and he looked at me like I just told him I thought I'd left my heater on at home. Like, what was he supposed to do about it.

So disconcerting!!
Kipple

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I sure as shit don't want to see what the games look like on my parents 42 inch LCD widescreen via a damn composite signal.

You might age fifteen years in an instant, were you to see it!

Oh man... I've been playing the Wii on a 60" 1080p widescreen DLP TV that we have in the fraternity I live in.

It is... not as bad as I perhaps expected, but it is still a world of hurt.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys don't tell Kip but one time I pissed in his fraternity's beers.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:

There is going to be a very large benefit over standard composite, but not as much if you're switching up from S-Video (though they don't have S-video yet either, and you're going to pay $30 for those, so you may as well just go component to save yourself future money).
Nana Komatsu wrote:
The <b>vocal minority</b> is a very widespread problem.

Yes, but it never hurts to keep everyone happy. I've been doing my dandiest to quell the fire of HDGamers on quite a few forums and have gone as far as to take pictures to support the argument that 480p is an acceptable compromise for Nintendo. I have even swayed a few people.

You also can't argue with the future. Eventually HD is going to be a standard, and there won't be HD anymore. When that comes many people aren't going to be happy with going back to something like this. The disconcerting thing is that Nintendo has the ability to settle for a resolution that would be acceptable, but they aren't. They also extremely underestimated the demand for component cables, so it is apparently not as small of a minority as originally thought.

If you're reading this and something doesn't make sense perhaps this image will be the greatest benefit to help you understand why that little (p) rather than (i) is so important to people with HD video (or should be):

As you can see a progressive scan image is a steady image that your TV just has to upscale. When you get an interlaced image your TV only has half of the information at any given time and has to de-interlace it, then upscale it. This leaves things looking like a smeary/blurry mess on TVs.

Oh, also, the Wii doesn't even output in proper 480p when it is outputting a progressive image. It outputs at 640X480, which is a square. 480p is 720X480 which is a widescreen format. This is why Virtual Console games stretch on Widescreen TVs: because it's a square image output and to make the game fit with bars on the left/right you would have to have the resolution/room to do it in.

So, should Nintendo have required 720p or some other HD resolution? No. Did they make any mistakes with their resolution choice/format/size, not really (though 480p should be standard, and it should output in proper widescreen). Did they screw up on estimating the demand for Component Cables? YES.

dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want s-video cables sooner Sad

earliest is Mad Catz on the 20th
GSL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
It's less of an HD thing and more of a picture quality thing. You don't really get much more detail with 480p. But with component cables (regardless of the resolution) you get a dramatically improved onscreen image.

Component input is available on standard-definition television sets though too, correct?

And Shaper, I don't think anyone's arguing against the coming of HD, I just don't think it's looming as the default format as quickly as some make it out to be. I would imagine in two years' time that support would be default on nearly any bit of consumer video player or television, but right now the usage is pretty much limited to the early adopters and people with enough money to buy proper HD equipment. Heck, analog television signals are still being broadcast! (Though I hear the FCC is going to tell them to knock that off sometime in the coming year which will no doubt have an effect on the coming of HD). Nintendo went with the safe, lowest common denominator here (composite video) as they have for years. The Super Nintendo, I believe, shipped with a RF adaptor when composite video was becoming the norm and S-video was just on its way in.

But yeah, it sucks about the component cables. It would be interesting to see some sales numbers and get an idea how much of the rarity was caused by demand and how much was Nintendo just not making enough. Though I would imagine if they remain as popular as they are, Nintendo may rethink its position on HD support on the next console go-round.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Nintendo shipped their SNES with composite cables. I had to scour the city for about a month to locate an RF adapter.

I had sold my NES to get an SNES and I didn't know that the SNES was going to ship with these weird colored cables. That was the worst. Having a system I couldn't play.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, www.woot.com has USB wireless adapters for $10 for 2 right now ($15 after shipping). They only sell one item per day, so make sure you buy it ASAP if you're interested. I can't guarantee these work on the 360/PS3, but I don't know why they wouldn't. If you're looking to set up a wireless network this might be a good idea.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was confused by what you were saying, but then I realized that you meant that we could use those to set up an ad-hoc network for the wii/ps3/360 to connect to, not that the usb adapters themselves would work with the wii/ps3/360 (because they probably wouldn't).
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
Actually Nintendo shipped their SNES with composite cables. I had to scour the city for about a month to locate an RF adapter.

I had sold my NES to get an SNES and I didn't know that the SNES was going to ship with these weird colored cables. That was the worst. Having a system I couldn't play.

Ah, my bad. All the SNES' I've ever owned I bought used, either from friends or from thrift stores, and they call came with RF adaptors, so I just assumed that was how it shipped. I had to borrow my N64's cable for the VASTLY IMPROVED!! picture quality of composite video.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
At first I was confused by what you were saying, but then I realized that you meant that we could use those to set up an ad-hoc network for the wii/ps3/360 to connect to, not that the usb adapters themselves would work with the wii/ps3/360 (because they probably wouldn't).

Why wouldn't they work with an Xbox 360/20GB PS3? They probably won't work with the Wii, but they don't need to since it's already got a Wifi card built in.

-Wes

EDIT: Ok, turns out I was wrong about the 360. I just went here and it says that nothing other than the official one will work. I was misinformed by Waffen over at IC. Sorry guys! I hope nobody bought one..

I'm still pretty sure it would work on the PS3 though. Gotta research that...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I was misinformed by Waffen over at IC. Sorry guys! I hope nobody bought one..

Hey, I tried to tell you this on the phone, but I'm pretty sure he was refering to these. Which are only like $10.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I was misinformed by Waffen over at IC. Sorry guys! I hope nobody bought one..

Hey, I tried to tell you this on the phone, but I'm pretty sure he was refering to these. Which are only like $10.

See, no. I referred to those in the thread and he was totally convinced that any USB wi-fi adapter would work. Evidence!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Component input is available on standard-definition television sets though too, correct?

Correct. For example, our Panasonic television supports component inputs—which are just fantastic—but is standard-def. Not even 480p, unfortunately. But honestly, right now things look so good, I don't even care.
dongle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem's that there's no USB networking standard like there is for audio or HIDs, so the OS has to deal with the individual chips of each usb networking adapter. It's unlikely that any of the console manufacturers bundled a ton of usb networking adapter drivers for devices that aren't their own.

Though, since the ps3 can run linux, it can use that card at least while running Yellow Dog/distro of choice.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Correct. For example, our Panasonic television supports component inputs—which are just fantastic—but is standard-def. Not even 480p, unfortunately. But honestly, right now things look so good, I don't even care.

See, I would be absolutely ecstatic just having a larger, standard-definition tube with component input. I'm sure HD is great and all, but I'm really not too bothered by my overwhelmingly composite setup. Heck, I still play NES and Genesis games via the RF adaptor! I'd just like something a bit sharper for these newer systems that are designed to look purty.

Also, I've heard insidious rumors as to HD television making standard television signals and the like look absolutely horrible. Is this a blatant lie? Is there any truth to it? Can someone set the record straight?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: