The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Must have DS games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be a good game if it makes Morning Musume sound good!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
It's gotta be a good game if it makes Morning Musume sound good!

;_;
schild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only here as a refugee (but i ruv the magazine). My website had a thread on it recently so I took an hour and gave my thoughts on 46 games. Here.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schild, did you ever do wifi in animal crossing? I only did it a few times but the whole idea of it, that you open a gate to your town and people (who you prescreen with friend codes) can wander in, that town members will move from one town to an other based on this, all of it was genius. Short of making a full MMO out of it, I think it's leaps and bounds more advanced than the gamecube version.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, what exactly makes the gamecube version better? explain yourself!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
yeah, what exactly makes the gamecube version better?!

Oh, about a million things!

First of all, the graphics were significantly rounder on the gamecube. The gamecube game was ported from the n64, which made sense, but then the gamecube game was ported to the ds with a new style that wasn't flattering on the hardware at all and a camera that was so far away that the low-res screen couldn't properly display many of the more elaborate textures and items. It's just kind of frustrating to look at. Also, the framerate is all over the place. It makes the game feel sluggish and dumb.

They kind of messed up the dialogue, too. The animals in the gamecube game were quirky, but they had character. The animals in the ds game are quirky too, but to the point where they're just sort of kiddy and ridiculous. They lacked depth, I guess you could say, which was already a problem in the gamecube game.

I have other issues with the ds version, but they're mostly concerned with the fact that nintendo didn't build off of their creation. The hardware was a crippling factor in this case. I always imagine Animal Crossing as the garden Miyamoto wanted to make when he created Zelda. When Animal Crossing DS was announced, I was expecting a more elaborate garden, where I could plant more things and more things would happened when I planted them, and instead I got the same soil on a smaller bit of land.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am now the owner of black DS Lite. It's much shinier than I anticipated.

I was actually wavering for a bit about getting it. I mean, do I really need another videogame system that I don't play? I already have three. But I bought it with the firm conviction that once I acquire a pair of headphones and a case of some sort I will play it on the subway. I've really wanted to start playing games again, as I've been ignoring them for the past six months.

I also couldn't decide, which game to buy it with. Since money is a little tight at the moment, I decided to purchase Advance Wars DS, because Advance Wars 2 was the first GBA game I ever bought and because it was $20 bucks. I kind of regret the decision now, since I'd been growing increasingly sick of strategy games around the time I stopped playing games at all and starting off again with a genre, whose last title to please me was Shining Force: The Sword of Hadja for the Game Gear, was not a good idea. I guess, I was really psyched by the back of Advance Wars' box, since one of the drawings was most likely inspired by an Eastern Front photograph. And I remembered that I really liked that one of the COs was dressed in a Soviet general's post-war parade uniform.

Still, starting out with a game that I essentially played four years ago is not good in instiling a sense of progress...it feels like I'm just going in circles. I'll play this for a few days and then purchase myself a few more original games this Friday, when I get my paycheck and when my B&N employee discount goes up to 20 percent at Gamestop for a few days.

I bought the DS to try and find something original and strange, something that would show me why I needed to play games again. I hope that in due time something will come along and prove this to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance Wars DS is good. It's just incredibly hard. I don't remember the first Advance Wars game being this hard until the Mighty Kanbei stage.
schild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
schild, did you ever do wifi in animal crossing? I only did it a few times but the whole idea of it, that you open a gate to your town and people (who you prescreen with friend codes) can wander in, that town members will move from one town to an other based on this, all of it was genius. Short of making a full MMO out of it, I think it's leaps and bounds more advanced than the gamecube version.

Nothing Nintendo ever says they'll make for wifi comes to fruition exactly correct. I thought exactly how you thought til I made all the gamestop employees I knew meet me once to do that AC wifi shit. Yea, boring. Great, I can go get some fruit I didn't have before and dig a bunch of holes in a neighbors city woop woop. Basically, they overfrothed while I ended up not frothing at all.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schild wrote:
Nothing Nintendo ever says they'll make for wifi comes to fruition exactly correct. I thought exactly how you thought til I made all the gamestop employees I knew meet me once to do that AC wifi shit. Yea, boring. Great, I can go get some fruit I didn't have before and dig a bunch of holes in a neighbors city woop woop. Basically, they overfrothed while I ended up not frothing at all.

Yeah, their handheld WFC was a fantastic idea--playing against random strangers in Mario Kart right after the online service launched blew me away. Globally networked gaming, in my hands! It was like living in the future.

Then you go at it for a while and realize no, this is still the crummy cars-on-wheels present. The match-making system sucks, on half the games there's no way to communicate with the other players, and the friend system doesn't even work half the time. I have codes for thirty or forty people from a couple of local message boards in Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Metroid. In a year and a half of owning my DS, I've connected with someone I knew exactly once, visiting his Animal Crossing village for a half hour. It went like this:

"hey man, nice place"
"thanks. did you bring any fruit?"
"yeah, I have some oranges. do you have bananas?"
"I do but I sold them all. brb, got to change the laundry"
"ok"

The next day, half my villagers left for his town and a steroid-addicted porpoise moved in instead. That was nine months ago, and all I've managed to do since then is get shot in the face by random teenagers in Metroid. I've all but given up on WFC now.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouki wrote:
Advance Wars DS is good. It's just incredibly hard. I don't remember the first Advance Wars game being this hard until the Mighty Kanbei stage.

Somehow it doesn't look as nice, however.
Westacular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
yeah, touched! is disappointing, especially after twisted.

(i think for some weird reason twisted was released in america after touched, despite being released in japan a year before? i could be wrong.)

i recommend point blank over touched!, but twisted over the majority of the software that will run on the ds.

I heard that it's because Twisted was developed by the original WarioWare team, who had time to do a good job with it, whereas the Touched devs were told, essentially, "HEY DO WHAT THOSE GUYS ARE DOING, AND MAKE SURE IT'S OUT BY DECEMBER". A rush-job by people who didn't necessarily understand why the concept works.

Of course, I've never actually played EITHER twisted or touched, and this is all very much heresay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Wi-Fi, I think Nintendo should implement measures against people being cunts (for want of a better word) in future releases. I mean, Mario Kart DS is hell online. It's just snaking hell, and you can imagine some smug, self-satisfied son of a bitch MOTHERFUCKER chuckling to himself about how hard he "pwned" everyone else with his antics. it just destroys the whole atmosphere.
But voice chat in the new Pokemon game is a very positive step.
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with you, Toto. I can snake, and I can use it to win races, but I think the only people who can do that for more than ten minutes at a time without horrible wrist pain are twelve years old, and twelve year-olds are generally cunts.

Related--I found myself recently browsing the GameFAQs message boards for Animal Crossing: WW out of utter curiosity regarding what people are still doing playing this game. It turns out that everyone who has kept up with it have amassed gargantuan piles of cash, and have basically set up a simple commodities market for items in the game using those message boards as a market exchange. People whose towns are selling turnips at low prices or buying them at high rates will let visitors come trade and charge a commission on the sale. They then take their profits to buy and sell rare items, with prices determined and traders connecting through public bargaining on the board.

Of course, people are, as we mentioned, generally cunts, and the lack of methods provided within the game to protect ones interests makes it a sort of libertarian stock market with no regulation at all. For instance, there is little to do to stop someone from altering the terms of a closed sale once you connect or outright stealing from you, by showing up to your town to trade, waiting for you to present your goods and then running off with your rare Samus Aran mannequin--other than turn the power off, if you're quick. With no way to prove any allegations you may make, the staff at GameFAQs (the regulatory body, if you like) can't do anything about it, so the other trader goes on with his business inculpable. And this is to say nothing of the unfettered theft or vandalism that can occur without your even noticing if you leave a fellow trader unattended in your village for even a minute; the bungled attempt at a market in human servitude; or the occasional incidents of hacking via packet substitution that can, for instance, permanently isolate one's village from the world by replacing the Gate with a Museum, thus disabling Wi-Fi access for that person forever.

It's amazing what people have accomplished, but it is frustrating to see how much better it could have been with a few simple changes and better code security. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's no contest to say that until a month ago they had a better approach to the Internet than any other handheld or console apart from the XBoxes. But Nintendo never took cunts into consideration, and as a result their online service is still not quite to the point where anyone would want to spend a lot of time with it.

Then again, since Nintendo doesn't receive any direct revenue for its online service, maybe this was the whole point. Cazart!
dmauro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I bought the DS to try and find something original and strange, something that would show me why I needed to play games again. I hope that in due time something will come along and prove this to me.

I think you should try out Kirby Canvas Curse.

schild, I'm one of those people that adores this game. I 100%'d the game before losing it, and when it dropped to $20 I rebought it. The fun I have with the time trial mode in rainbow run is what keeps me coming back to that game, although the single player experience alone is worth $20.
churippu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

Trace Memory Okay, it's short, but the visuals always impressed me, and it's a clever throwback to the graphic adventures of olde.

I agree, it is short but sweet. I love the ending, it made me cry.

and it seems everyone else has listed Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright, I love these two games they have replay value!

Also the Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits games are good. They are fun because there are alot of mini games and you can dress up your girl! I made mine look like a sailor girl with white hair awwww.

The games I gotta have are Children of Mana, FF III and Animal Crossing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I decided to purchase Advance Wars DS... I bought the DS to try and find something original and strange, something that would show me why I needed to play games again. I hope that in due time something will come along and prove this to me.

Yeah, don't know how I missed this, but you probably picked the worst game to find that with. I don't know why you ignored the rest of the thread Sad

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churippu wrote:
Also the Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits games are good. They are fun because there are alot of mini games and you can dress up your girl! I made mine look like a sailor girl with white hair awwww.

I've never played The Rub Rabbits, but Feel the Magic is a lot of fun. I didn't recommend it because, well, I got the game when the DS was first released, completed it and unlocked a majority of the hidden stuff, and have yet to touch it again. It's a quality game, it's just pretty short, and there's not much replay value beyond looking for the hidden rabbits and stuff. I'd say get it if you can find a copy for $7 or less, $10 at the most.

Oh, and does anyone know what the deal is with Electroplankton? I can't find it in Nintendo's store anymore. Did they stop selling it? This makes me sad, because I finally resolved to buy it and don't look forward to paying $60 on eBay. For anyone who has it/has played it, is the Japanese version very text-heavy? It seems to be at a reasonable, stable price in the places I've seen it.
dongle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Japanese version. There is no necessary text in the game, and there are scans of the English manual. GET IT. Electroplankton is wonderful.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY. Based entirely on the recommendations in this thread I just picked up NANOSTRAY. And based entirely on nothing at all I snagged Gunpay too. Don't you intarweb haters dare say anything to make me question my poor restraint until I've had a chance to try these games out!
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westacular wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
yeah, touched! is disappointing, especially after twisted.

(i think for some weird reason twisted was released in america after touched, despite being released in japan a year before? i could be wrong.)

i recommend point blank over touched!, but twisted over the majority of the software that will run on the ds.

I heard that it's because Twisted was developed by the original WarioWare team, who had time to do a good job with it, whereas the Touched devs were told, essentially, "HEY DO WHAT THOSE GUYS ARE DOING, AND MAKE SURE IT'S OUT BY DECEMBER". A rush-job by people who didn't necessarily understand why the concept works.

Of course, I've never actually played EITHER twisted or touched, and this is all very much heresay.

You have to understand that Twisted knows its role exactly as a portable game. ie, a game that can be switched on for one minute or two hours or whatever and will remain fun the whole time. Actually, the original Wario Ware had that pretty much down to begin with; what Twisted really added was the recognition of the fact that you could hold an entire console in your hands. That seems to be the fundamental basis for the motion control there; you could be on the toilet or in the park or wherever, bereft of whatever widescreen surround sound setup faces your couch, and still have a physically and powerfully involving gaming experience. Add to this the disorientation involved in suddenly turning your viewing screen on its side in the middle of gameplay, and the precise and truly tactile rumble (Nintendo gets rumble like nobody else), and yeah, it's pretty much one of the best portable games ever made.

These days I kind of think of it as the Wii prototype. They both utilize a lot of the same philosophy.

EDIT: oh yeah, I totally did. Fixed, thanks.

Last edited by simplicio on Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean "twisted" there.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:
I decided to purchase Advance Wars DS... I bought the DS to try and find something original and strange, something that would show me why I needed to play games again. I hope that in due time something will come along and prove this to me.

Yeah, don't know how I missed this, but you probably picked the worst game to find that with. I don't know why you ignored the rest of the thread Sad

I can't seem to find Canvas Curse. Is the new Kirby at all similiar to it?

And Advance Wars wasn't that bad, all things considered. I'm on the last mission now and then I can move on to Contact and Phoenix Wright.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say about Phoenix Wright: If you start getting sick of it by the third case, stop playing the game. Take a break and put the game down because if you force yourself to keep playing you will get annoyed with it very fast.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
OKAY. Based entirely on the recommendations in this thread I just picked up NANOSTRAY.

You'll love it. If you love shooters, that is. But people who don't are probabaly... I don't know, robots or something.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell recommended Nanostray? That game’s pretty crap.

Also, I have no idea if Squeek Squad is anything like Canvas Curse. I kind of doubt it. If you want to feel really Japanese Sergei you could just buy the JPN version with the pink stylus. Otherwise you’ll have to find it used probably.

grumbel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Who the hell recommended Nanostray?

Nanostray isn't exactly the best shooter ever invented or especially original, innovative or anything, but its still a nice little fun old-school shooter with pretty good graphics. So unless one expects the next Ikaruga, one can have quite a bit of fun with that game. It might not be the best DS game around, but its one of the good ones.

Quote:
Also, I have no idea if Squeek Squad is anything like Canvas Curse.

Squeek Squad looks like the standard Kirby jump'n run, no stylus painting involved as far as I can tell.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm told squeek squad is closer to kirby's adventure in design than any other game in the series.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Who the hell recommended Nanostray? That game’s pretty crap.

Shaper, be quiet! It's a worthy attempt at establishing the shooter genre on the DS, and aside from the stupid weapon-switching gimmick it's a solid and quite challenging shooter! Razz
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean aside from the terrible implementation of the touch screen, and that the game is way too forgiving/stupidly balanced in difficulty (read also: due to the terrible perspective you can't tell if your going to get hit or not).

Oh and the bland enviroments and music.

GSL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure that we're on the same level--you ARE talking about Nanostray, correct?

Sure, I give you the horrible touchscreen implementation--it was a lousy design choice made by the whole, "Crap, this system has a touchscreen so we'd better use it!" mentality that pervaded quite a few of the earlier titles (and still arguably persists in some recent releases, sadly).
As far as the difficulty goes, which is it--too forgiving or stupidly balanced? I've had no problems with the perspective but the trick is to accept the Axelay-esque perspective rather than fight with it to try and play the game like a standard vertical shooter. That seems to be the major problem most people have with the game, and I'm thinking the true issue is that people just refuse to accept this gameplay aspect and would instead prefer to fault the game as if this was some sort of glitch. It's not, and once you decide to work with it you discover that the game is a lot tighter than it initally feels. And even once you've got the perspective down and you realize that the enemy patterns are a bit more memorization-based than most shooters, I still find it quite challenging, especially when you start working for high-scores to post on the Nanostray website. Trying to figure out how to squeeze another 10,000 points out of a level you thought you had down pat is quite fun, in my opinion.

Environments and music seem to just be a matter of taste--I think the levels look quite good, and they certainly have their own distinct look to them. Music is a point I'll have to concede--there are some catchy tunes (the main menu is the one that pops to mind) but yeah, most of the in-game music is pretty bland. Then again, I can only think of a handful of shooters in which the music really grabbed me anyways, so I don't consider it much of an issue.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupidly = terribly = poorly

The perspective is not natural, and Axelay is pretty bad too.

Have you played Iridion II? It's pretty much the same damn thing. Touch screen really has almost nothing to do with it. They're just pretty lame games.

Make them hori shooters and quit trying to dick around with a horrible perspective.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axelay is bad mostly because its mode-7 gimmickry makes it unplayable. the way the vulcan is implemented is fantastic, but aside from that they game is a tech demo, and a pretty dumb one.

in a game as dependent on precision as a shooter, a plain vertical perspective is definitely preferable to a difficult-to-gauge into-the-screen one. i havn't played nanostray, though, so i can't really speak about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H A T E R S

I'm a bit into Nanostray and I must say, the perspective is a little odd, but I've never died from it. And I've died quite a bit so far. Not being able to switch weapons easily is the bigger problem, in my eyes... ultimately the game is just a sort of mish-mash of other shooters, crammed into one DS game, but I am okay with this too. Anyway, show me a better shooter for the DS (or the GBA, even) and I will buy it.

Now Gunpey, that was just a waste of cash.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Now Gunpey, that was just a waste of cash.

I'm sorry to hear that! Tell me why I shouldn't spend my money on it, please.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim said it was like playing pinball with the glass cover removed while manipulating the ball with your hands. To me, the game feels like sliding shit around while some sound effects play. Note that I'm a big Meteos fan. There's none of the multi-tasking/chaining or any real depth to the game that anyone has been able to find thus far.

i can see the game being more interesting on the PSP since the limited control encourages efficiency in tile switching. On the DS, though, it's too convenient.
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely.

Also, there are furries.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Anyway, show me a better shooter for the DS (or the GBA, even) and I will buy it.

mr. driller a.

no, really, it's fulfilled most of my shooter compulsion where the gba is concerned.

it's better than the ds version, too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
I'm a bit into Nanostray and I must say, the perspective is a little odd, but I've never died from it.

Quoted for truthiness.
Oh, and with the stupid weapon switching, I've found it's easiest just to reach over with my right thumb. I abhor the idea of fingerprints on any manner of display screen, but in this case there's just no better way to switch weapons. I even tried holding the stylus in my teeth and then grabbing it to tap the screen, real quick-like, in between waves. That didn't work so well.

As far as other shooters on the DS or GBA (I'm not going to say 'better' because I really enjoy Nanostray), you've got a few decent options. First there's Gradius Galaxies, which is, like, a must have if you're a shooter fan. You ought to be able to find it fairly cheap, too. And then there's Darius-R (sold out, d'oh!) if you're a fan of the "let's make your beginning weaponry fucking useless so all you can do is dodge and hope a power-up-dropping enemy happens along damn fast!" school of game design. Me, not so much. A far more bearable option in my opinion is Steel Empire, a port of the Genesis/Megadrive title of the same name. Beyond those three though, I'm not aware of anything worth getting. Oh, there was some horizontal-scrolling shooter that came out only in Japan, but it had a really text-heavy story mode and I can't for the life of me remember the name. I know you piloted a toy robot or something like that.

But avoid R-Type III like the clap.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradius Galaxies is not that good in the grand scheme of things, but it is probably the best shooter that's easily available.

Darius-R is really, really simple and ugly. It looks like a GBC+ game. If you can survive through the first level and a half without dieing you will be able to beat even the hardest difficulty fairly easily.

Steel Empire is terribly hard to find, and I'm sure just getting the Genesis game would be sufficient. I hear it's not that good anyways (pretty to look at yet bland).

R-Type III is an abomination (not the SNES game, just the port).

Sigma Star Saga is worse thatn R-Type III.

Look, seriously, just because there aren't any good ones for the GBA/DS doesn't mean that you should settel for the lesser of a dozen evils.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting in a note to say that I too enjoyed Nanostray. I'm a casual shooter fan (I don't play for score). I loved Axelay and I liked Nanostray too! I'm also part of the blurry screen right thumb touchscreen crew.

Iridion I, Iridion II, and Nanostray are all graphics games. They rely on wowing you with a smooth engine more than anything else, and I can understand why that turns some people off. As stated earlier, an overhead perspective is much more precise in shooters, but Nanostray wouldn't be appealing at all if it was played from this perspective. It's precise for what it is, but you can tell the developers focused more on making a game that looks pretty.

Iridion II works on this principal as well. It's got an amazing engine for a GBA game, but in that case, the limited technology meant that the background was set on repeat for the whole thing. This was a problem because technology can only be appealing for so long and repeated backgrounds don't give the player a reason to advance even when the enemy patterns get more difficult. Nanostray corrects this by doing away with the repeating backgrounds, and it does wonders for the player motivation. Each section of each stage is unique. Backgrounds are a shooter's story - they establish a setting, mood, and in many cases motivation. Nanostray's backgrounds are the reason to keep playing. They're very pretty and present challenges unique to that level. It's a game you play for sightseeing rather than score, and I can see it turning off hardcore shooter fans looking for something where balance and precision are a higher priority.

For me the calibur of a game is based on whether or not I'm compelled to keep playing. Little imperfections are fine as long as there's something there to keep me interested. Nanostray kept me interested for the whole thing and then some. It doesn't overstay its welcome, and currently it's not too expensive. I recommend it too!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gba is shooter wasteland. there was a yakyak thread on this recently too.

gradius generations / galaxies / geraniums isn't too bad, but i wouldn't try to play it on a handheld.

buy mr. driller a and activision anthology. play them and be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's an 8-player Bomberman game for the DS, and nobody's mentioned it! Does it suck or something?
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WiFi is neat but the two sector battle field (top screen, bottom screen) is kinda weird. If WiFi Bomberman makes you excited, you already know what you think of the game.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone mentioned time pilot yet?
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! What's Time Pilot?
Fred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, if I had seven friends with DSes, WiFi Bomberman would be great. Sad

There's a DS Time Pilot?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiFi Bomberman has a mode where you can yell in the mic to drop bombs. It can be entertaining at times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If FFIII hasn't been mentioned, it's pretty rockin'. I'm not that far into it, but I'm enjoying it.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right! I mentioned FFIII a while back, when it had just came out and I had only played for about an hour or so. I've spent a lot of time playing it over this Christmas break, though, and now I can wholeheartedly recommend it as being a lot of fun. Despite being a fancy remake, it still feels like one of the classic Final Fantasies, which is a very good thing.

Also, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is huge and awesome, and the unlockable game modes that come after completing the game are even more awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: