The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corporate mascots- or, how to have your merch and eat it too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

coke or pepsi?
water
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
high-fructose corn syrup
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
crab juice
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Six

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Corporate mascots- or, how to have your merch and eat it too Reply with quote

I'm usually pretty sensitive to advertising; doubly so if it's in a game. Glimpsing a Big Mac billboard from the corner of my eye while racing through alleyways at breakneck speed or seeing a hardened spy slather on his favorite brand of rejuvenation cream before bed tends to turn me off of a game rather violently.

That said, some games that cannot be fairly described as anything other than playable advertisements are still totally awesome. I'm talkin' Chex® Quest, a TC for Doom that was packed in with the cereal a decade ago. Naturally it was reworked to be supposedly nonviolent, but it's still Doom at heart, though with some nice touches. Your armor is a giant piece of Chex®. Enemies scream and spew gobs of snot everywhere, even though you're supposedly painlessly teleporting them back to their home planet. You replenish health by eating parts of a balanced breakfast. You spoon enemies to death. You spoon enemies to death.

ApM recently pointed me to a package that includes the original iwad set up for use with Doom Legacy. Probably it's just that I haven't played Doom in forever, but it's really fun. The intro is also a pretty good watch. This is some good, wholesome advertising!

By contrast, Pepsiman is really kind of disturbing. It's so saturated with logos that I find it difficult to play, even though the gameplay is simple and pretty fun. Example sequence: Pepsiman gets him by a Pepsi delivery truck, which knocks him onto a road where he has to run to avoid being crushed by a giant can of Pepsi while jumping over placards advertising Pepsi. Also, the second level is nightmarish - it's like the fucking L.A. riots or something, there are flaming cars crashing everywhere. Beggars in the street raise signs that read "Give me Pepsi." Oh, America!

Anyway, are there any other fun or otherwise notable mascot games? Everyone and their grandmother seemed to get one in the 16-bit era. (Off the top of my head, Chester Cheetah, Cool Spot, that other guy with the pencil - Fido Dido, I think? Oh, and the Noid, of course.) Is anybody planning on getting those Burger King games? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, since it's been a lifelong dream of mine to play a game where I'm a man in a hamburger suit riding a motorcycle the size of a Shih Tzu.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the Burger King games. They are worth the 12 bucks total that they cost, easily. Just for the laughs and the creepiness of the King.

I had a game for my NES that was othello, but played with the 7-up spot. Actually, I never owned it, jsut rented it like 3 or 4 times at least because I liked all the different animations for the spot.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chex quest was my first first-person shooter. (doom squicked me out.) it's actually pretty special.

if you've never played it, check out kaettekita mario bros for in-game curry commercials!
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always bring this up, and I never remember it's name when someone else remembers for me, but there was a Skittles RPG that turned out to not be that bad. I never played it myself, though.

Darkened Skye, maybe?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually going to make a thread for the Burger King games but I read this and decided that it would be arbitary after seeing this thread.

Sneak King is a decidedly creepy game. It taps into my fear of the Burger King King or whatever his name is. Also, my game likes to crash when I try hide in the log on the Lumberjack level. Other than that, it's an entertaining game for brief periods of time. I wish I could surprise someone so well that they have a Burger King-induced heartattack. That would be badass.

I hear you can unlock a Sneaking Suit when you beat the game. I hope it's as awesome as it sounds.

BTW, Darkened Skye was the Skittles RPG, but I think it was more an Action/Adventure than anything, Chex Quest is incredibly badass, and Pepsiman sounds absolutely disturbing but I would like to play it.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkened Skye does indeed feature Skittles but I don't think the game was made primarily for the purpose of advertising. Actually it might be a coy joke about collectibles, from what I read the whole thing sounded rather tongue-in-cheek.
Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey, darkened skye. i always found it funny that there was no mention of skittles on the box except for the "taste the rainbow is a registered trademark of mars, inc."-type stuff. strangely enough, other than the tie-in it seemed like a thoroughly mediocre game. i might be wrong!
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you might imagine, I'm not the biggest Burger King fan, but am I the only one who thinks you can only go on so long subtly making fun of your product/mascot/selling point, all while simultaneously trying to sell said product, before the whole thing goes a little sour? Ah well.

I'm a product of the First Great Advertising Generation, so I can enjoy ridiculous mascots with the best of 'em, but the king just doesn't resonate with me. He comes across as not-so-unintentionally sinister, and fast food marketing is already about as sinister as you can get.

Yeah, mascot/advertising games are pretty cool sometimes. Pepsiman is effing smooth. And what was that Virtua Fighter tea tie-in?
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Mario (by extension, the Mario universe) pretty much just a vast marketting chimera for Nintendo now? I would consider any Mario Blank games to be pretty much Nintendo marketting tie-ins.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
mars, inc.

isn't there a "biker mice from mars" (or something) game full of snickers ads? you can buy snickers bars for a health boost.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
isn't there a "biker mice from mars" (or something) game full of snickers ads? you can buy snickers bars for a health boost.

It was like Rock 'n Roll Racing only it had anthropomorphic rodents on futurebikes.

I am eating a Snickers right now, because of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently yes!

edit: but only in europe? also, it still looks kind of awesome.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker Mice from Mars are my favorite TMNT clones. Street Sharks can go to hell. I never saw the Samurai Pizza Cats, so I can't make a definitive call on this, however.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have acted more like bikers, had a hidden stash of automatic weaponry, an ice lab and had violent and bloody turf wars with rival bike gangs.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Underdogs has a whole section for this kind of stuff:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/collect.php?id=10

Some of the ones I remember (apart from the three Chex Quest games) are Moorhuhn Jaqd, that turkey hunting game, The Lost Island Of Alanna, a myst clone created to promote cherry coke (I think it was cherry coke) and Cool Spot.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Kool-Aid Man! It was the first game of this type, I think.
Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobygames has a category too, I just noticed.

Oh yeah! And the Kool-Aid game! I remember seeing ads for it in old comic books.

And by "oh yeah!" I of course mean
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered one that isn't listed on either site and that I actually own - Global Gladiators. That McDonalds game where you play two kids who must clean the world from... pollutiony gloop or some crap. You get to high five Ronald! I think.

Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I never saw the Samurai Pizza Cats

You must remedy this situation. It is hilarious.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I just remembered one that isn't listed on either site and that I actually own - Global Gladiators. That McDonalds game where you play two kids who must clean the world from... pollutiony gloop or some crap. You get to high five Ronald! I think.
Oh, weird! I only knew about M.C. Kids for the NES. Which I (fuzzily) remember as being pretty fun.

I kind of feel like putting together a definitive compilation/overview of this stuff, but actually I don't really.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that may interest you!

Treasure (yes, THE treasure) actually made a McDonalds game! It was called McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure and was for the Megadrive.

This image here is kinda disturbing in an IT kinda way:

In another note, the guy behind the Global Gladiators game was David Perry who would shortly start his own company and become most famous for Earthworm Jim.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, there was another NES game based on McDonald's that wasn't McKids. I might've dreamed this though, as I dream about playing obscure games that actually don't exist more than I should.

Also, if there was a next-gen Kool-Aid Man game where you got to bust through walls to deliver fresh, cold Kool-Aid to children in a rad-like fashion it would be the most awesome thing ever.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking about McDonald's I think I can bring up this anti-advergame. I really dig the cute fisher price doll look to it. Since it lookss exactly the opposite of what an anti-corporation game would probably have done (in my mind). It was probably made after that one film "Super SIze Me" since some of the options deal with the health concerns that this documentary brought to the public eye.

There's also some fun and grim comedy sprinkled throughout and an adorable butcher. I would dig this on a DS.
Karoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
TOLLMASTER wrote:
I never saw the Samurai Pizza Cats

You must remedy this situation. It is hilarious.

The series finale made me tear up a little.

I am currently enjoying Project 8. Tony Hawk, et al are mascots in their own way.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while I was walking to class last period I got a really interesting idea for a Kool-Aid Man game (because that's the kind of things I think about while I'm at school).

The whole game would take place in a Crazy Taxi-esque city, and the player, as the Kool-Aid Man, would have to bust through walls in order to get deliciously refreshing Kool-Aid to the children inside. The whole game would be timed, and you'd get a time bonus for making each appearance (plus there would be a system like the Flourish bar in Sneak King that you could use to get extra time, but it wouldn't really work the same. I haven't figured out how that would work). Traversing the city would be like playing that Incredible Hulk open-world title that came out not too long ago (I think, I only played it for a few minutes in a store), and there would be some kind of crazy realistic damage system so the Kool-Aid Man could take down entire houses by hitting the right part just to give children Kool-Aid (plus it wouldn't slow down the momentum of traveling around the city).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I never saw the Samurai Pizza Cats, so I can't make a definitive call on this, however.

OK, so here is the thing about samurai pizza cats. The team that dubbed it in america didn't know japanese. AT ALL. So apparently they just ran with whatever they saw when they were writing the script. Its fucking amazing. The point where they get a letter in japanese and freak out because they can't read it is great.

If this wasn't actually true, well, they did a good job of making it seem as such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: