The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game I'm trying to remember the name of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Game I'm trying to remember the name of Reply with quote

It's an arcade port to NES, it has overhead flying sections and side on platforming. And angel people. Possibly has bits changed for the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it Legendary Wings, by any chance?
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That giant head that shot out hurricanes always freaked me out. Looks so ancient and decayed.

Even weirder was that inside that giant head everything was bilogical. Ear wigs, brain matter, bones, and even bees. Real creepy.

Nice bonus stages though. All Egyptian and happy.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone here played Trio the Punch and witnessed it's creepy giant heads and biological enemies (and also Colonel Sanders)? I actually have a marquee I made for a MAME frontend for the game if anyone's interested. It doesn't have that cheesy 80's motif to it (in fact, it's kind of bland), but it's got an interesting, Microsoft Paint-rendition of the Dollface on the continue screen and a really awesome logo I made for the game.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part is turning into a sheep.

I love the complete and total breakdown of internal logic. It's like a Bunuel film.

Legendary Wings is a Data East game right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary Wings is actually a Capcom game. Never really felt like a Capcom game to me though.

I always liked whacking people with a battery in Trio the Punch. Also, bouncing off of fireballs and battling Colonel Sanders was pretty cool too.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once played a game on a shareware disc, called "500 games on one!" or something like that, that was about a world in complete darkness. When you started the game up you were just a character on an entirely black screen and you had to wander around walking into walls you couldn't see. In the help screen they tell you that you need to find a town so you can buy a lamp, but in hindsight I think it was just a joke.

I actually saw a post on Home of the Underdogs once where someone was looking for the same game. They were the only one to have heard of it in the thread, and they didn't know the title either.

I want to dig it up again some day, just to see if there really is a game there or if it's a cheap gag. I think I even tried mapping the invisible maze once.
ajutla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I once played a game on a shareware disc, called "500 games on one!" or something like that, that was about a world in complete darkness. When you started the game up you were just a character on an entirely black screen and you had to wander around walking into walls you couldn't see. In the help screen they tell you that you need to find a town so you can buy a lamp, but in hindsight I think it was just a joke.

I actually saw a post on Home of the Underdogs once where someone was looking for the same game. They were the only one to have heard of it in the thread, and they didn't know the title either.

I want to dig it up again some day, just to see if there really is a game there or if it's a cheap gag. I think I even tried mapping the invisible maze once.

this sounds awesome.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I once played a game on a shareware disc, called "500 games on one!" or something like that, that was about a world in complete darkness.

You inspired me.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Karoshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vague memory from my childhood:
A side scrolling "shooter" for the Famicom, except your projectile was a ball you could fire in eight directions, much like Metal Man's blade.
The ball made musical tones, and striking enemies or things in the environment in tempo created rudimentary melodies. I'm sure the melodies would be more complex were I better at it, but hey, I was only 9 years old at the time.

Recent discourse on EBA/Rhythm Tengoku reminded me about it.
Isfet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure you're talking about Otocky; dess wrote about it. it's certainly an interesting game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:

i played this game too! i spent an hour bumping into rocks. all the rocks were identical, and had a square of grass visible around them. i never found that town.

trio de punch is amazing. particularly because you fight an army of karnovs led by giant stone bodyparts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary Wings is totally on Capcom Classics Collection! Along with Super Ghouls n' Ghosts and Forgotten Worlds!
JamesE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how only the Ninja is remotely competent in Trio De Punch. Best self-parody ever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I saw continue screen for the game. I made an animated .gif of it that I'll have to find and post.

I had Capcom Classics Collection but I traded it in because Vol. 2 was coming out and there were more games on there that I wanted. Still haven't bought it yet though,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: