The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why is final fight a good game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
shit, why did no one tell me there's a natsume-developed sequel to ninja warriors on the super famicom?

i'm really starting to think natsume is my favorite developer for the console.

If you don't play it, a child some where on this planet will grow up to hate every video game you ever loved. Seriously, you need to play it, it's amazing, and yes Natsume rocks the world, also check out the Zuntata produced soundtrack!
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm way ahead of you! i'm pretty sure it rocks my socks, too!

there are good times to be had on a super nintendo when you have a copy device!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Night Slashers.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

night slashers is the bloodiest game ever.

unless you're playing the american version. then it's the greeniest game ever!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i either need to pick up an ehks baccks on the cheap or get an adaptor (though two player on the set would be preferable to one player on a computer :lame:), because i need to play night slashers right now.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pizza place I work at has a Simpsons machine. Someone set the Dip Switches to give everyone who plays way too many lives.

Also, if you thought River City Ransom was boring but liked the look of the game check out Kunio Tachi no Banka on the Super Famicom or the original arcade version Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun (aka Renegade; there was an NES version too, but I heard it was really bad). They're in the same series of games but they're straight beat-em-ups compared to Downtown Nekkestu Monogatari/RCR. I should point out the Kunio Tachi no Banka is the last game in the series besides Super Dodgeball on Neo-Geo and the darkest too. It's a really cool game.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you could map the punches in Final Fight to Wiimotion controls it would probably be the best game ever

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
JamesE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: why is final fight a good game? Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
this has been troubling me for quite some time now. i find the game incredibly boring and tedious.

all you do is walk around one-two punching enemies until they fall down, waiting for them to get back up, and then one-two punching them again. make sure they don't get on both sides of you, though! then they'll one-two punch you and then you'll fall down! and then they'll wait for you to get up and one-two punch you again.

and i guess you get to pick up a knife sometimes and throw it at someone? and then back to one-two punching.

i mean, in river city ransom i can knock an enemy down, pick it up and chuck it at its comrades. in double dragon advance i can do a triangle kick off a wall to knock an enemy down and then climb on top of it and punch it in the face. in advance guardian heroes, well, i can fly. and play twenty different characters who control completely differently. even the original guardian heroes is more interesting than this game.

so splain me, thread. why do people like final fight so much? haggar and poison are not acceptable reasons - tell me why i should like the game. violent storm has the game beaten in character design anyway.

I've never gotten anything out of Final Fight - most of the appeal lies in the aesthetics, and even there it's been surpassed by Streets of Rage. I can consistently enjoy Streets of Rage games because you can toy with your enemies - smack in a few knees to the forehead before tapping jump to flip over them for a suplex, or throwing them backwards into a pack of goons ambling up behind you. Final Fight just feels like doing the same thing for half an hourand sometimes feeding MAME a few more credits.

Maybe it was better before SEGA trounced it, though.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, pushing buttons really fast a lot is kinda fun. Wtf is wrong with you.

_Marcel Duchamp
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the enduring appeal of Final Fight has to do with how so many of the characters and bosses have been absorbed into Street Fighter over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fight is a bit of a relic. It launched with the SNES, so there is a lot fo love from epople sepcifically tied to that (hence why guy, excluded in the SNES edition, gets no love). It was also one of those games that a lot of people played in the arcades and liked, and hadn't really played a lot like it before. So yeah, SoR totally did what FF does, but better, but a lot of people played FF first.

FF also is part of the Capcom culture. Much like how a lot of people go nuts over SNK culture, Capcom has kind of developed its own, mostly around fighting games, and a LOT less focused on making any kind of coherent sense. They kind of make these characters that people know and love, and then put them in all their games so we see them (i.e. Ryu) and love the game for them. They totally did that with FF characters.

Of course, this gets even bigger when you make it far mroe accessible to american gamers. I mean, very few gamers I know ever got to play any KoF at the arcades, but we all palyed some fucking FF because it was in every arcade out there.

So yeah, FF isn't a great game, just widely influental for a lot people (players mostly, not so much designers).
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
You know, if you could map the punches in Final Fight to Wiimotion controls it would probably be the best game ever

you know, after playing Boxing extensively, i think it would be really interesting to see a beat'em up take on a similar control scheme.
.brainiac.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreeing with people who said or implied that final fight is really only good when you have to feed it a quarter every 5 or 10 minutes in an arcade. it doesn't hold up as a console/emulator game, there's just not enough in it to warrant owning it. and having unlimited free credits kind of kills it. though yeah its aesthetics are superb.

i reckon a huge part of its popularity was prolly its position relative to double dragon. man, double dragon really grabbed a kid's imagination back then. it had so much going in its favor, but its gameplay was mushy & clunky as all get out. final fight's controls, while similarly simple, were so much smoother & easier-to-use. milestone status, right there.

i'd still rather play the punisher or growl, though, just for the greater variety of stuff (shooting stuff, stuff blowing up, etc) in them, despite the aesthetics & nostalgia factors being unable to approach that of final fight.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
player 2 wrote:

you know, after playing Boxing extensively, i think it would be really interesting to see a beat'em up take on a similar control scheme.

i'd like to see a wii version of the first funky fighter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Isfet wrote:
player 2 wrote:

That game out-Godhands Godhand.

_Marcel Duchamp
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Isfet wrote:
player 2 wrote:

More bars should have this game sitting in the back instead of that lousy Golden Tee and bartop minigame machine.

Throw in Fighting Mania and I would have more of a reason to go out for beers.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
player 2 wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Isfet wrote:
player 2 wrote:

More bars should have this game sitting in the back instead of that lousy Golden Tee and bartop minigame machine.

Throw in Fighting Mania and I would have more of a reason to go out for beers.

Golden Tee isn't bad.

_Marcel Duchamp
Gouki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys, the Punisher!

It's all about doing that, but... as Nick Fury and The Punisher!
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armored warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I found it too slow paced and designedly iffily. Maybe I'm just not playing it right, though.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must play Night Slahers, or my mind will explode. It looks incredible.

Anyone else here a fan of Ninja Warriors or Ninja Warrios Again?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

(ninja warriors again is amazing.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spy a thread about games where you hit things and no mention of Guardians.

Guardians is crazy, it's like the Marvel vs. Capcom of brawlers so there's fast-paced gameplay, comboriffic combos all over the shop (which can be abused) and the sprite design is consitent. It's also very nice looking and has 'good' music (in that it isn't spectacular but isn't terrible).

And robot martial arts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
I spy a thread about games where you hit things and no mention of Guardians.

Guardians is crazy, it's like the Marvel vs. Capcom of brawlers so there's fast-paced gameplay, comboriffic combos all over the shop (which can be abused) and the sprite design is consitent. It's also very nice looking and has 'good' music (in that it isn't spectacular but isn't terrible).

And robot martial arts.

I wish that was easily googable

_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the japanese name is "denjin makai II".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer to the original question for many people is "because I played it in 1989!," which is really an admission that the game doesn't hold up. I don't really find it much fun anymore either, but it did have some charisma to it.

Violent Storm really does out-final-fight Final Fight. And Ninja Warriors Again is delightful as well. Been a while since I played it but if I recall it had some grappling type moves that added a lot of variety to the combat. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with Super Double Dragon (which really did benefit from those moves)

(Also: Total coincidence about my sig right now, but Dess already outlawed citing "Haggar" as a reason for Final Fight's goodness in this thread.)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
And Ninja Warriors Again is delightful as well. Been a while since I played it but if I recall it had some grappling type moves that added a lot of variety to the combat.

yeah! since the game has no z-axis and the fighting is restricted to a single left-right plane, it's so easy to smack enemies against each other that it becomes a crucial tactic. one-hit fodder enemies appear sometimes endlessly, and are basically there to be used as human projectiles.

what's great about the game is that the three characters play completely differently. the "balanced" character, kunoichi, has a rushing attack that rams an enemy into those standing behind it. ninja, the big, slow character, lifts enemies off the ground and tosses them like javelins.

the game has a very rich and nuanced combat system. i think i talked about the blaster meter earlier in the thread; it's very well-balanced. and the game is by no means short on great setpieces.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja Kids is another fun game in this mould. You play one of 5 ninja kids, each with their own abilites, on their journey to defeat THE SATAN. Also at one point you meet some Zombies who say 'here is a graveyard of you.'
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth mentioning that ninja kids has a really snappy boss tune. also, instead of inexplicable motorcycle / flying scenes, it has crazy climber. it's a lot like taito does ninja turtles, but with much more difference between the characters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja Kids sounds awesome.

Also, back to Golden Tee, the pizza place I work at has this new Golden Tee 2007 machine that's wirelessly linked to every other Golden Tee 2007 via Sprint. It's a really interesting idea and it constantly updates itself (At Thanksgiving one of the on-course commentators was wearing a Pilgrim hat). I guess this would be a really cool thing if you like Golden Tee.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,

Another game of this type I remember being ok is Capcom's Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, if only for the end-of-level win phrases.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeborg, don't get me started on crude buster. crude buster is the real deal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crude Busters are such bad dudes ninjas are too scared to be in their game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ almighty Violent Storm is a wicked ass game.

Night Stalkers is cool, I somehow expected more gore, goes to show you how depraved I am.

I think Aliens V.S. Predator by Capcom is 2nd favorite beat em up of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Night Stalkers is cool, I somehow expected more gore, goes to show you how depraved I am.

did you play the japanese version? in the american, all the blood was changed to green mush.

there's really a lot of blood / green mush in that game.

violent storm has an amazing soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any other diamonds in the rough that already haven't been meantioned, but...

I am posting in positive favor of this thread for getting me interested in MAME again. Since there is no other feasable way of playing something as awesome as Night Stalkers and First Funky Fighter (which I now induct as one of my top 5 game titles, ever.)

I love the brawler genre so much, even more if you have someone to share that enthusiasm. I am such an old relic..shooters (not shmups), fighters, brawlers of the 2d variety are always tops in my gaming preferences.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
I think Aliens V.S. Predator by Capcom is 2nd favorite beat em up of all time.

I would have eaten a lot better in college if not for the presence of this game at the local sandwich shop.
benreed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

Nothing can out-God-Hand God Hand.

NOTHING.

Also, yeah, Final Fight is only really significant from a historical standpoint, as it not only set the stage for the superior beat-em-ups that followed, but it also helped set Capcom up for the absolute DIVINE greatness that was Street Fighter motherfucking II. Had Final Fight not been profitable for Capcom, one wonders if we would have been deprived of the legendary greatness of Sheng Long, and how we must one day defeat him to stand a chance.
The Soviet Onion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're pointing out underappreciated brawlers, then I'd like to mention Guardians Of Altarris. It may be in Flash, but there's something about it that has got me hooked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: