The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ruins of babel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stotelheim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all monster! Although you didn't post as much as many other posters, what you posted was always nice, and I felt that you had a certain aura about you. Like you were just a bit unearthly. I always liked reading what you had to say, and I'm sorry that I might not be able to in the future.

Also, guys. This is me saying my goodbyes, in case no new Insert Credit Hub springs up, and we all go our separate ways.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rud13 wrote:
108 wrote:
Rud13 wrote:
For perspective the day after the PS3 launch I sat on Tim's couch and he was checking his email and there was one from Brandon that said "FINAL FORUMS SOLUTION". It talked about demoding everyone and making icyclam a mod. It sounded so completely insane that I dismissed it. It also stated that DON'T SHOW THIS EMAIL TO ANYONE.

You may have a future in journalism after all!! Just three more stamps on your RumorMonger Mart membership card and you can get an internship at a city newspaper!!

Thanks for reading my email thoroughly from start to finish when, under normal circumstances, it would be considered most polite to just look away and honor someone's privacy!!

Double thanks for bringing it up in a public discussion!!

You're going to make a terrific father someday!!

Well, when something is called Final Forums Solution, I feel it's probably going to affect me. And hey it did.

And once again hey, Brandon said in the READ.ME thread "The forums fucking suck." So yeah I guess I shouldn't think that Brandon has problem with the forums.

It's not a self esteem problem. It's an unwillingness to talk face to face. I've gone over this numerous times already. But if something is going to effect someone, and it is planned and it is said to be non-malicious action, the person in question should be told in advance. It should have been brought before the forum before it happened.

Honsetly, I thought things were going to be okay at some point last night. There was a good dialogue going, and lots of progress and communication, and stuff... and then he left, leaving us with.... just...... icyclam, who managed to destroy the forums in the next couple of hours.

Yeah, ha ha...

Anyone remember when Brandon said something like, "I don't think is the worst possible thing! I mean, deleting the forums would have been worse, right?"

Well, you know, I guess he was wrong! Deleting the forums would have been an improvement over that!
danger dangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is all a bit distracting.

oh, hello.

I've been thinking about it a lot.

really, the ending to The Cat in the Hat is really a lot more sad. The animated movie, I don't think the book conveys the weight of the thing.
Rud13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess.

But see, you're using bad analogies. If I had an email saying "Regarding Tim" well, I suppose I'd let you read it. Hell any forum member I've met I've let see the mod forum. Maztorre read some stuff I wrote against him!
stotelheim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh! No Rud13, that's just winker spreading his delightful brand of scottish confusion. See, he always thought that I was toups in disguise, because my style of posting reminded him of toups. So he'd insist on calling me toups, and I'd disprove it again and again and... Well, you get the picture. Classic winker at his best. Toups registered once as 1337toups, or something like that, but was banned relatively fast because of the numbers in his username, and general ill-feeling towards the entire IC crowd. I hijacked a unused account for him later on, and renamed it Andonuts. But he didn't really use it a lot.

That's, near as I can figure, more or less the entire story. I'm going to go out to pick up a lot of groceries, as everyone but me in my household is currently either recovering from surgery or afflicted with a rather severe cold. I hope nothing terrible happens in my absense, as that seems to be how things like to happen these days.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stotelheim wrote:
And dalenixon, we should play again! I really like the way your voice sounds, and there's a lot of the game left that we haven't played together! Come on man, let's do a thing!

I'll be playing F.E.A.R. all day. Invite me to your Gears of War game and I'll jump in as soon as I hit whatever next checkpoint I need to hit.

Edit: 100 psot!
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
My point is that while icyclam sucked pretty hard as a mod, nothing he did in any way justified the 4chan invasion. I mean seriously, the way some people were reacting at the time was as if it was actually a GOOD thing.

Oh, I don't think many people were acting like that. I wasn't even aware of the 4chan invasion until minutes before the collapse, and I was quite active!

Anyways...

I think everyone already wrote everything they had to say quite constructively in the many hundreds of words that were on the "Rules" and "Vent" posts before things spun out of control. And obviously no one is entirely to blame, but I think other than icyclam and Brandon, no single person could have prevented this once the shit started flying towards the fan.

Whether it was going to be by 4chan invasion, or a continued degredation and bannings until sunrise, or the forums getting deleted the next day, or whatever... I don't think there was much anyone else could have done.

Anyways, I don't really care who was to blame. I would still say it is largely Brandon's fault, but I'm sure he didn't intend that, and I don't really give a shit whose "fault" it was. I mean, the word "fault" is so misused -- Brandon just happened to be the person in the most power at the time, and the coincidental catalyst who happened to be around. It shouldn't really mean anything.

So... I think the main issue now is discussing a plan for restoring the forums!

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toups I played no part in the 4chan invasion. I don't care what Brandon says.
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Good message, I think, but wrong messenger. He could've said anything and people would've lynched him for it.

And perhaps rightfully so! No one had any good reason to give Icy the benefit of the doubt given his reputation and history here. But that doesn't mean that what he said isn't true, in this case.

that's true, yet I think you're giving him too much credit. his message was valid enough, yet his tone was kinds of off key. he was too busy telling good people they were doing the forum wrong. and banning people is provoking and harmful.

I wish it was as 50/50 as you put it, I just don't think it is.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inmatarian wrote:
I think what happened was long over due. Not the raid part, but the airing of grievances part. The raid part was because the moderator was totally inept at population control. When people start in like that, you sit out for a while and let them finish blowing off steam. Banning them only gets them more rilled up.

I agree with this sentiment 100%
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam apparently did not like my "don't worry, be happy" topics Sad

What seemed odd to me was, he put me on the Ban List, and I went "okay, i'll stop posting for a while", so I did, but then I tried to make an actual, heart-felt post, and...I was banned!

Also just stating for the record that toups I disagree with you so let's have an internet knife-fight DON'T BRING A SWORD YOU LIMEY BASTARD
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well look, what do you people want, a fucking war crimes tribunal? This is, at the end of the day, a videogame forum, and it only warrants so much crying over spilled milk. Yeah Icy Calm was a bad choice but it doesn't justify the way the forums reacted. It brought out the worst in everybody and only further highlighted the very reasons that Brandon wanted to "fix" things.
LegatoB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
This could've ended a lot more quietly and peacefully had everyone just kept a cool head.

well, yeah.

you can't rely on people for that. you can count on people to lose their cool, however. lamenting their losing it makes the whole situation come off as a result of limited foresight, which is ashamedly why Brandon is getting so much guff.

guff I don't think he deserves.

Brandon didn't even bother to talk to anyone who actually frequented the forums about his concerns before he pulled his big switcheroo. I'm sorry, but if you really give a shit about the forums you own, you should try talking to the residents before you install a new regime that will immediately clash with the residents in a bad, bad way.
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 wrote:
it's a reference to sea monkeys, by the way

Last night was kind of like that South Park episode where the seamen (sea monkeys + semen) start a war and blow up the fishtank.

I guess Tim and the rest of the IC "staff" are sort of like Cartman here, then, right? God complex and all?

Just kidding. Sort of!

Yeah, it was probably bound to happen.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Rud13 is fighting with 108!

What wacky business.
ionus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the whole thing yesteday - and I am sorry Toups (you are amazing for staying positive for as long as you did,) but I must agree with Legato that at least 60-70% of people participating yesterday were working in the Read.me thread, and with Brandon in talks to get the Axe rolling again. Things really did seem to be going well until the Ban list thread started - then it went downhill from there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionus wrote:
Watching the whole thing yesteday - and I am sorry Toups (you are amazing for staying positive for as long as you did,) but I must agree with Legato that at least 60-70% of people participating yesterday were working in the Read.me thread, and with Brandon in talks to get the Axe rolling again. Things really did seem to be going well until the Ban list thread started - then it went downhill from there.

Yeah. That remaining 30-40% was the problem. We needed 100% of people behaving civilly. Instead things just snowballed. We needed zero people start threads for the sole purpose of baiting icy. Just because the mod is shitty doesn't justify shitty behavior on our part. So we can blame icyclam but there is some blame that lies with us, as well.

And yeah, the BAN LIST was a turning point, and was enough to convince me that icy wasn't really fit for the job.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also hey, this would be a GREAT time for that IC 2.0 thing with the more robust boards and all that, just sayin'. Since we're going to be down for a little while anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't even know for sure that the 4chan raid's timing had anything to do with our dramabomb. It's likely, certainly, but for all we know some /b/tard randomly decided to do it right then because they were at home bored on a Saturday night and wanted to pick a site notable enough to rise the other /b/tards' interest.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought some radical change might have done us well at IC, actually, because looking back the forums were getting a bit mired in their own - something. But we've already covered how this was executed in a pretty bad way, so I'll leave it at that. I too certainly would have rather suffered the pains of the massive overhaul than see the whole thing sent off in a fantastic explosion of /b/tardery and apathy.

I just want to say I have absolutely no interest in participating in the creation of an NEO IC spinoff forum - for as much as insert credit forums and insert credit proper were separate entities, forum communities that exist in a vacuum, especially ones that act (soley) as life rafts for larger communities are depressing as hell. if IC is really over at ths point, and if mr exodus is going to wash his hands of the whole thing, just let it give up the ghost.

As far as posting here at TGQ, I will continue with my somewhat quiet presence here like always. I will post a little more now, but I don't have any interest in recreating IC here. I think anyone who even thinks that might actually be possible aren't long for these forums.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
LegatoB wrote:
But there wasn't really any shitty behavior going on until 4chan showed up. Balbanes was inflammatory, maybe, but he always is. The people who brought a little bit of the Axe to General did it in a lighthearted sort of way - talking about state license plates. Baron Patsy's topic spamming didn't even occur until just before the 4chan rush, and even then it wasn't really a big deal. Is some responsibility on the part of us? Yes. Is it as much as you attempt to make it seem? Heck no.

You are confusing intent with consequence. No one meant anything bad by what they did. But it doesn't change the fact that if we had just protested politely the state of mass hysteria which inspired either Icy or someone else to stage the invasion would not have happened. It was the hysteria that was responsible for it, not icy.

Toups, yes, if the entirety of insert credit had calmed down then this probably wouldn't have happened.

Also, if Brandon had made one of about a dozen small, slightly sane choices, along the way, then this also wouldn't have happened.

Next, if icy wasn't such a fuckface, then this also wouldn't have happened.

Then, if any of the IC staff had realized how retarded this was and done anything about it, then this still wouldn't have happened.

And finally, if the policy of "It's Brandon's site he can do what he likes!" hadn't been going around, then this also probably wouldn't have happened in spite of all the rest of that.

==============================

Now, I'd really like people to shut the fuck up about "what happened" and start talking about what actions they want to see taken regarding the forums next. I'd also really like to know how Brandon feels about all of this.

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
.brainiac.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to register here last night to say "hey how's it going" but it seems my spam filter intercepted & deleted the "activate" email from gamersquarter.com so i gave up and went to play phantasy star universe.

anyway! i don't have much to add about the IC situation except that i'd rather not waste any more time thinking about icyclam, and i kind of get the sense that brandon (and the IC staff?) has expectations for the forum that are just out of step with the medium (glorified chat room) and the layout of the site.

so... hi guys! i will prolly poke around and see if TGQ forum's brand of conversation is something i want to contribute to. if not, i'll get out of the way and leave you guys to your thing.

Last edited by .brainiac. on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Boo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
You can't expect that stuff to just spontaneously develop!

So absurd...

People are assets. Having people on your forum who care about the site and actually want to contribute something should be a good thing.

Nailed.

The old IC that we know will never return. Perhaps the new one will be a better place... but only for a moment. Because you know that the place will evolve to the same level that it was before. Destruction is never the solution. You are -simply- pushing the problem away. It will , one day, return to the state it was before the incident, but with different or new users. So the real solution, for all of us, is that you make sure that the owners of the message boards are sane enough.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ban list was the turning point for me and i wasn't even on it.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if there were any particular posts you wanted, give me a line from them or something, as I have a pretty massive text dump of a bunch of the forums. Who knows what I actually got in there, but we can grep it and see if we find what you're looking for...
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice quote!

icyclam wrote:
On another note, you would also do well to read Recap's posts carefully, and to give serious consideration to his opinions. There's a good reason he is posting on the insert credit frontpage, whereas you are confined to the gutter that are these forums.

What a fucking prick.

Who is this guy anyway, I mean, really, outside of "icyclam"? If I ever get a chance I'd love to kick him in the nuts.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more threads, hmmm... and some copies of the forums in their locked state, and General with a dozen locked threads, etc. etc.

I need to organize them though... it'll take a bit, and I'm kind of busy...

But uuh, I'll get that done sometime.
extralife

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker hold me

where is TOLL Sad
Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to DonMarco (or whatever name he's going by now)? Was he one of the banned ones, and does he know about this board?
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying this was all a ruse to get rid of me Bott?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, I think I'm making progress with that girl I really like. ^_^

She argued with me about something the other day, and she also gave me her phone number. This is the beginnings of trust and friendship I think. ^_^

===========================

Is this also a commentary on the IC forums? Perhaps!
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you talk about?

Remember extralife you don't have to be in love to listen through the wall.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winker, some people have a lot of trust issues and difficulty opening up to people, and maybe a strong bias against you in the first place, but if you really like them enough and want them to be happy, it's okay to take it as slow as they need you to, because every inch of progress just feels that great!

That's making an investment in someone. Of course, if this investment fails, then it will be a sad, sad day in HSB-land...
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife you're ruining this forum with your hateful presence.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extralife wrote:
shut up winker I will have this thread locked
extralife i'm higher up the pecking order here than you are

i'm published (not to mention my relations with dess) so shove it

also confirm bott
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevey boy you need to know your place. This isn't America Insert Credit there is no need for you to prove your loyalty here.
.brainiac.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winker can i be part of your team on TGQ forum since you never invited me to be on your IC team ;_;
km

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, so who was on that ban list anyway?
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km wrote:
Oh yeah, so who was on that ban list anyway?

Me
Guardian
Captain EO
Baron Patsy
Legato
Balbanes
Gouki
Brock
Autokrater

I think the list of people who had "officially quit" the forums before that happened was:

DJ
Rud13
extralife
Psiga (?)
TOLL (?)
winker
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maz wrote:
wankerwitson wrote:
Maz i'm sure there is something that you have done that you could be praised for, maybe you once wrote your name instead of signing with an X?

I was in Japan once.

HURF DURF
Maz there is nobody here that can confirm this so I am calling you a liar.

Also guys I didn't leave in protest Toups will confirm this due to secret things.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't, like seriously!
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I introduced myself.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhrama is kind of tasty, but a bit of a wussy drink, don't you think?
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
3. My Xbox 360 broke Sad

So, like, broke how? Into pieces? It won't read DVDs? What?

It made him broke with microtransactions Sad
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes, this is the only post of yours I could find in the READ.ME thread:

Wilkes wrote:
the thread I said would be locked, well, it got locked. I was typing something up that I guess I'd like to post. You might need to read it for context

"The intent is panic, then. I mean, sure, the goal is to better the forum; I see the virtue in nearly every decision made thus far. It's good stuff.

The axe --I liked having a place I could post the same one line over and over and have all my e-friends in on the joke that it wasn't actually funny and that's probably what made it funny, even though it didn't. If that goes. The new way will be more challenging and that's ok.

Should Winker be able to do what he does in a single line of text? The omission and careful selection of words in some bored internet chemistry; the whole thing was... heh, I don't even know. It makes me smile, yet it does me no good.

The new way sounds like something I'd like to be apart of, though I don't want to lose the folks we had. Everyone here is capable. icyclam does not need to show empathy. He needs to do what he said he was going to do, and he's doing that. He's doing what he has in mind to do.

I'm not laying praise on him; this isn't how I would approach things. He knows this isn't the best way, and he's pretty much said "this is how things are." There's a distinction, and one doesn't have to follow the other.

I have more things to say am I locked yet?"

he ended the thread with:
icyclam wrote:
To everyone posting in this thread, and others like it: please try to not behave like assholes. Your behavior is highly disrespectful towards the people who have invested years of their lives to create insert credit, and I won't stand for it.

If you keep this up I will have to ask you to leave the forums. We don't need this bullshit.

to hell with you, you goddamn criminal.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willkes i felt i was making progress with your sister until the forum did what it did.
Hot Stott Bot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSB wrote:
Thank you for agreeing with my sentiment Majora's Flask!

I think the main brunt of what I'm trying to get at there, is that the causality of who did what and what actually caused what isn't so important as who really feels personal responsibility, and the reason why the IC forum community doesn't feel responsibility is because they have been consistently told over and over that it's not their forum to feel responsible about.

Now that someone has finally really done some damage people expect the posters to feel responsible about it? Ha! It just isn't going to happen and it isn't something you can change retroactively. If the staff isn't willing to accept the brunt of the responsibility for this, I don't think the forums have any hope.

Last edited by Hot Stott Bot on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
Oh fuck, I forgot about leaving.

it happens. i skipped a date last weekend to stand in line for a wii and was late to one this weekend due to excessive refreshing of the IC forums. Priorities!
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you were smoking some grass confirm/deny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: