The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Quantum Leaps in Storytelling"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the whole concept of 'in character' sort of crazy.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so? I just mean playing with the story and not deliberately subverting it.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just that all the actions available to you should be acceptable as behaviour that defines the character you're playing. That's why most of these characters are such a blank slate, so you can project your own personality on them. Either that, or they're somewhat mischievious and silly (Mario 64, Duke Nukem 3D) since the mechanics of the game mostly just allow you to jump about, hurt people and break things anyway.

Bascially, you shouldn't include a punch button if your game is about a man who never punches anyone.

It's an interesting line of thought, though. Guybrush Threepwood is required to take anything that's not nailed down to win the game, but he's never said to be a thief. He is however something of a clown, breaking the fourth wall and so on, so his casual thievery can just be seen as another aspect of his irreverence. He's a tool for you to flout social conventions, through your choosing the silly answers in conversations, setting someone's lizard free, stealing a hammer. However, I always thought of him as a passive observer to the crazy things the player makes him do. I never thought of Guybrush as the kind of person to set someone's lizard free, nail someone into a coffin or saw someone's peg leg off, even as I was making him do those things. And unlike Gordon Freeman tipping a bin over, you have to do those things to win the game.

Hmm.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Guybrush DOES want to be a pirate, and pirates have to get their hands dirty now and then. Actually, they usually insist.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now played Half Life 2, I think that if this is the best example of storytelling in games that is held up (say, "raised the bar"), I feel sad for entire medium.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Having now played Half Life 2, I think that if this is the best example of storytelling in games that is held up (say, "raised the bar"), I feel sad for entire medium.

Care to elaborate?

I also think that we need to define our terms -what is 'storytelling'? Now, what I'd say is that Half-Life 2 is pretty similar to Ico in terms of the way that it presents details of the backstory through the scenery and characters. Although Ico was deliberately more fragmented and obscure.

It is fair to say that it doesn't capitalise on the kind of "freedom" or depth of interaction that we see in RPGs. But hey it wasn't trying to be Deus Ex. It was a game that put you on a linear path gave you a bunch of tools to work with and then let you play through it. In a seemingly ironic statement it acknowledges the way that you are basically a puppet on a string for the G-Man and questions the way that you don't contribute much except destruction and death to the (Half-Life) world.

Now what I would see as a breakthrough in storytelling in gaming would be to combine the kinds of choices that you get in RPGs with a real-time game (either a FPS or an action-adventure). So instead of choosing how the plot develops from Menus and dialogue choices, you would actually do it by the actions that you take. Do you side with Faction A, or Faction C? Intimidate, help, bully, give weapons to, or steal from the characters you meet?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the storytelling leap - and i'd call it more of a refinement than leap - with hl2 is that the story unfolds solely with your play, and is explained only through your interactions with various setpieces. it just happens to be the best refined leap of the last five years or so.

if all games were crafted as well as hl2 with regards to their execution, there might be a lot fewer game companies. they'd become unnecessary.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the storytelling leap - and i'd call it more of a refinement than leap - with hl2 is that the story unfolds solely with your play, and is explained only through your interactions with various setpieces.

dessgeega wrote:
strider.

dessgeega wrote:
prince of persia.

dessgeega wrote:
karateka.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hence refinement!

also, quality control out the ass.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince of Persia and Strider don't really have so much of a story, though. You're in Russia in the future AND THEN A ROBOT GORILLA COME ALONG.

I guess with Prince of Persia you do really feel like you're part of the story at all times, simple though it may be. It does rely on cutscenes however. Not that that has to be a bad thing, but it's the key difference between it and Half-Life.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Prince of Persia and Strider don't really have so much of a story, though. You're in Russia in the future AND THEN A ROBOT GORILLA COME ALONG.

my strider article laughs at you from the future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so, maybe the ultimate in 'game' storytelling would be to fool the player into thinking that the things that happen are reacting to the player's presence. And to implement AI enemies that ebb-and-flow dynamically. So that the characters send out patrols looking for the player, and become more aggressive if the player becomes aggressive. (Like Metal Gear Solid 3).

And instead of presenting the game as "this is already here, deal with it" it would pretend that the player had summoned the enemies. Ie. instead of finding a giant robot boss character, they would see it scanning the hills for them... and only when they had to cross the open ground to their final objective would it come to fight them. The player would be made to feel that they had been causing enough of a threat to the enemy that they had incurred some serious opposition.

Or, maybe we need to get away from the idea of 'fighting' being story, or THE way of resolving conflict. In other words to stop making games as though they were Arnie films (ie. either Commando, Terminator 1/2, or Conan the Destroyer).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

my strider article laughs at you from the future.

And then a robot gorilla come along.
grumbel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
And instead of presenting the game as "this is already here, deal with it" it would pretend that the player had summoned the enemies.

I wouldn't like that much or at least I have never liked it in all the games that had it (HL1, Secret of Mana, etc.), since it forces the player to do stupid stuff which he might not want to do and forcing the player to perform an action that he doesn't want to is one of the worst things a game can do in terms of storytelling, since it totally breaks the immersion.

The other way around is of course bad as well, i.e. disallowing the player to do what he wants to do, not so much in the sense of total freedom, but in terms of in-character acting. This could simply mean something simple as giving Alyx a hug every now and then or more complex issues of not being able to rescue people, since their death is already pre-scripted, while in terms of story it would be easily avoidable for the player/character.

Quote:
Or, maybe we need to get away from the idea of 'fighting' being story, or THE way of resolving conflict. In other words to stop making games as though they were Arnie films (ie. either Commando, Terminator 1/2, or Conan the Destroyer).

Even the worst Arnie film isn't even close to a video game in terms of killing and fighting. In most video games the kill count goes into the thousands, while movies seldomly get even close to one hundred. But yes, getting away from all the killing is pretty much a must-have for advances in storytelling. For me Half Life 2 totally fell apart at soon at I got the gun, before that it was very good storytelling, believable characters and such, but after I got the gun it was just yet-another-stupid-FPS. The difference between squad NPCs and story NPCs (Alyx and Co.) made it even worse, since it was all to clear who matters and who doesn't. Not knowing what to do and especially why in the game then finally ruined it for me pretty much completly, I need to know what to do and why, I don't like just killing people just because its the only way to progress in a game.

One thing that was nice about Prince of Persia:SoT and Tomb Raider: Legend is that a lot of story was told directly in-game, either via talk between the prince and his girlfriend or via radio in TR, it added a lot of "knowing what to do and why" to the games and also was much less interruptive then the first person cutscenes of HL2, since the normal gameplay never really stopped.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I guess with Prince of Persia you do really feel like you're part of the story at all times, simple though it may be. It does rely on cutscenes however. Not that that has to be a bad thing, but it's the key difference between it and Half-Life.

And those cutscenes didn't deal with the player's characters. They were "meanwhiles", so hardly obtuse.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In other words to stop making games as though they were Arnie films (ie. either Commando, Terminator 1/2, or Conan the Destroyer).

that's basically why i play games.

i will contemplate this on the tree of woe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to be fair, most games are nothing like those films at all.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I also think that we need to define our terms -what is 'storytelling'? Now, what I'd say is that Half-Life 2 is pretty similar to Ico in terms of the way that it presents details of the backstory through the scenery and characters. Although Ico was deliberately more fragmented and obscure.

I haven't played Ico yet (yes, yes I know) but I have played Shadow of the Colossus and unless there were voiceovers, NPCs and background ambiance to tell the story in Ico (my understanding is there wasn't), I would think it wrong to compare the two.

Ketch wrote:
It is fair to say that it doesn't capitalise on the kind of "freedom" or depth of interaction that we see in RPGs. But hey it wasn't trying to be Deus Ex.

I don't really like open-ended RPGs and sandbox games (your Elder Scrolls RPGs and the like) but mostly because I prefer being told a story instead of wandering around hoping I'll stumble into it. That's my preference, and let me say, I have pretty shitty taste.

Ketch wrote:
Now what I would see as a breakthrough in storytelling in gaming would be to combine the kinds of choices that you get in RPGs with a real-time game (either a FPS or an action-adventure). So instead of choosing how the plot develops from Menus and dialogue choices, you would actually do it by the actions that you take. Do you side with Faction A, or Faction C? Intimidate, help, bully, give weapons to, or steal from the characters you meet?

I sort of agree, but I mean, how different is it to choose to walk into building A or B instead of choosing different menu options? Especially if the rest of the game is all menu options (say your typical JRPG)?

dhex wrote:
the storytelling leap - and i'd call it more of a refinement than leap - with hl2 is that the story unfolds solely with your play, and is explained only through your interactions with various setpieces. it just happens to be the best refined leap of the last five years or so.

I don't see it this way. I still have to stop and listen to NPCs, if you call that "story unfolding with your play". So I can walk around during the cut scenes, I still have to go to designated spots to have the scripted events take place and can't just skip them completely. Moreover, they try to pretend they aren't cutscenes by not limiting your actions, except that you can't disrupt the cut scenes taking place at all. I'd rather they took control away instead, because then maybe I could skip the cutscenes entirely. At least in Halo you could sometimes just keep running to the next checkpoint. In Half-Life 2 I just feel like the cameraman, and at that point I'd prefer fixed cameras for cutscenes.

It's also entirely possible that I just don't like the story. It seems trite and predictable. In fairness, I only got to Ravenholm before I stopped playing (because the game was giving me headaches again) but up until that point I could predict exactly what was going to happen at every single point. Please tell me if the evolving story becomes more than "don't get caught and/or killed by the bad guys" or "shoot big thing before it shoots you". I know there are physics puzzles, but from what I understand (and again, correct me if I'm wrong) virtually all the boss fights are just shoot the boss until he dies.

Or maybe it's because I don't relate to Gordon Freeman as a protagonist? I don't get how I'm supposed to relate to any character when he doesn't say a damn thing (I, on the other hand can't seem to keep my mouth shut).

I hate to argue this point, because it's likely I'm just dumb and missing the greatness when I see it (again, I also have really shitty taste) but I just don't see it. What is it that makes Half-Life such a great leap?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Or maybe it's because I don't relate to Gordon Freeman as a protagonist? I don't get how I'm supposed to relate to any character when he doesn't say a damn thing (I, on the other hand can't seem to keep my mouth shut).

this i don't really follow, since when developers put reams of dialogue into the mouth of the character who is supposed to be me or at least be under my control, i find it very hard to inhabit that character's role or maintain the pretense of controlling that character.

but i agree that it would be silly to insist that there are no cutscenes in half-life 2.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see myself as taking the role of the protagonist in story based games, for the most part. FPS games are probably different because there is no on-screen avatar to control, but there have been other non-FPS games where the protagonist says nothing (allowing you to project whatever image of yourself onto him or her?) like Dragon Quest VIII.

This is probably where I differ from the norm.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if they're cutscenes, they're cutscenes you can walk away from. they're also rather minor, even in episode 1 and your adventures with alyx the tank.

ravenholm is where the sweetness really kicks in, for what its worth.

but i mean, the game isn't going to fit your critera for groundbreaking, because if you're not an fps fan, you really won't see what the big deal is. i am a huge fps fan (of sorts, as (i don't play multiplayer online) and a pc game fan in general, and i see hl2 as part of a very long tradition. it just happens to culminate in awesomeness.

and the voice acting is totally sweet.

i don't identify with gordon freeman either, but i don't identify in character with any games i play. i don't have to identify with the guy, cause like, he's not real. etc.

also, with fps games, you're not supposed to relate to the character, you're supposed to relate to the enemies (or npcs) because that's all you can actually see. as a chain of experiences hl2 is unprecented in its quality, and since that's what i look for in a game story, it is the creme of the cream.

Quote:
I hate to argue this point, because it's likely I'm just dumb and missing the greatness when I see it (again, I also have really shitty taste) but I just don't see it.

i think you have that backwards, since i think i can safely argue that i have demonstrably terrible taste in games, and play them for all the wrong reasons, etc.

but no one is going to enjoy a game that makes them feel nauseous or dizzy.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well, if they're cutscenes, they're cutscenes you can walk away from. they're also rather minor, even in episode 1 and your adventures with alyx the tank.

Except where you need to stand at Point A for cutscene to continue, there were more than a few of those.

dhex wrote:
ravenholm is where the sweetness really kicks in, for what its worth.

So I hear, but I think the spooky scary aspect combined with my already present nausea may make it unplayable for me.

dhex wrote:
but i mean, the game isn't going to fit your critera for groundbreaking, because if you're not an fps fan, you really won't see what the big deal is. i am a huge fps fan (of sorts, as (i don't play multiplayer online) and a pc game fan in general, and i see hl2 as part of a very long tradition. it just happens to culminate in awesomeness.

You're right, I don't play many FPS games and haven't for years. When I did it was mostly the online multiplayer kind anyway. But! This game has continually been compared to non-FPS games as well, so holding it to one set of standards to say it's the best and then comparing it to other games that don't fit those standards seems unfair.

dhex wrote:
and the voice acting is totally sweet.

I totally agree, again Robert Guillaume is the shit.

dhex wrote:
also, with fps games, you're not supposed to relate to the character, you're supposed to relate to the enemies (or npcs) because that's all you can actually see.

I've never heard it put this way. Interesting.

dhex wrote:
as a chain of experiences hl2 is unprecented in its quality, and since that's what i look for in a game story, it is the creme of the cream.

It has very good atmosphere and is very polished. It just seemed silly to not be able to smash Alyx's face in with a barrel using the gravity gun, but instead for barrels to bounce off of her.

dhex wrote:
but no one is going to enjoy a game that makes them feel nauseous or dizzy.

No, but I believe I could appreciate it anyway. I would gladly watch someone else play through the entire game, something I think I could do without getting headaches, if there was someone I knew around here who would do that.
grumbel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
You're right, I don't play many FPS games and haven't for years. When I did it was mostly the online multiplayer kind anyway. But! This game has continually been compared to non-FPS games as well, so holding it to one set of standards to say it's the best and then comparing it to other games that don't fit those standards seems unfair.

The only part that I consider great about Half Life 2 are the first twenty or so minutes, its pretty much the only time were the whole thing 'clicked' for me. The story made sense in those minutes, since it didn't matter what you knew or didn't knew about the world. The presentation was great, exploring that little bit of world that you was allowed to go to was great as well and the restriction of the environment also worked there, because the oppression by enemy forces is kind of the point of the beginning.

But after those minutes it was kind of over with the interesting aspects, the environment ended up still being very restrictive, only this time without a reason, instead of a story, you only get bits and peaces, but nothing ever makes you understand all that much, its just enough to get you going. Just standard run and shoot stuff. I didn't found Ravenholme any more interesting either, for one because that guy you meet there never felt like a character, but always more like a scripted gimmick, and secondly I just don't consider those headcrab infected people scarry, for me they just look to much like people will a really big smiley-like head. The one point where it got interesting again is Nova Prospekt, one reason is that those 'remote-controlled' Antlions are fun to play with, but more importantly because its one of the few points in the game where you are acting to achive a goal, instead of running from point A to B, having Alyx on your side reminding you what to do and helping you achiving it of course helps a lot as well.

Overall however I found Half Life 2 rather disappointing, nice presentation and such, but far to much the same run&shoot as before and to little actual story inbetween.

A game that impressed me much more in the same style was Breakdown, while the presentation is downright aweful at points, it just makes a hole lot more sense in terms of the story. Since your character lost his memory, its natural that you don't really now what is going on and since your buddy, a very Alyx like girl called Alex, comes from the future, she can't really explain much either. The cutscenes work pretty much the same way as in Half Life 2, one is however quite often restricted in the movement that one can do, which however is justified by the story most of the time (i.e. since one was getting drugged and those is sleepy, one can't just jump out of the bed and such).
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumbel wrote:

Overall however I found Half Life 2 rather disappointing, nice presentation and such, but far to much the same run&shoot as before and to little actual story inbetween.

Yeah, from what I've played of it I was amazed at how like Half Life 1 it is.
Whenever I go to my Dad's house he makes me play all the games he's stuck on, and in Half-Life 2 I had to do a section where he was running around a military compound trying to shoot down a helicopter with a bazooka. It was basically Half-Life 1, except you're now fighting these generic-looking but admittedly cool sci-fi stormtroopers.

I began playing it from the start, and one of the first sections you come to is a sewer. I'm glad they got it out of the way early on, at least, but the sewer is like the biggest cliche of FPS design there is, next to the warehouse level.

It seems to be a great game, though. I'm only focusing on the negative points because I expected far too much from it. From watching the trade show demos, I thought Half Life 2 was going to be like being in The War Of The Worlds for real, with all this stuff happening around you all the time. It's not, but there's enough in there that feels fresh that I shouldn't really complain.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
From watching the trade show demos, I thought Half Life 2 was going to be like being in The War Of The Worlds for real, with all this stuff happening around you all the time. It's not, but there's enough in there that feels fresh that I shouldn't really complain.

Hmm, have you played the Anticitizen One sections, after Freeman returns to the City 17? Those may give you more of the atmosphere you're hoping for. I'm continually surprised by how immersive that section was (except for the infinite rocket-ammo-crates).*

*Seriously, in HL2, being given a rocket launcher means, woah, striders are coming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best story in a game*: Pheonix Wright (okay, I've only played to chapter 3.. and I am not saying that it is 'brilliant' but it is good, clever and enjoyable).

The problem is that Pheonix Wright isn't really a game, and more of audio-visual comic with Multiple choice questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: