The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the i am proud of a videogame accomplishment thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent debuggers scares the shit out of me.

magic engine is all the pc-engine emulator you probably need. it's not free, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds impressive. How does it play exactly?
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man

Silent Debuggers is the game I think people are talking about when they're actually talking about Paranoia

Silent Debuggers AHH JEEZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dracko, I will describe the gameplay briefly:
It's a sort of first person shooter but with only semi-real time 3D. Think of those old dungeon crawler RPGs only with scrolling between views and enemies moving around freely on their own.
You're on a space station filled with monsters. The core of the station is a sort of elevator that moves down through different levels. The core never changes throughut the game but the cargo area surrounding it does. Most monsters will just prowl around in the cargo area but some will intrude on the core. This is extremely dangerous because the station's computer will lock out chunks of the station if it detects too much monster presence. Several chunks of the core have key systems which will be shut off if that section is closed. One of these is the lights, another is the "bullet room" which is the only place to get more ammunition. Losing the lights sucks, because then you can only see a few feet in front of you and everything becomes a very depressing colour.

You spend your time on the station clearing out the cargo area so that the computer will allow the core too move down to the next level. You do this by randomly wandering about and following the signal of your Alien-style proximity detector. Pitch of the detector's beeping indicates heading, frequency indicates distance. Monsters come in several different colours. You can shoot their limbs off and they scream quite violently (sounds like an elephant) when you slay them. Sometimes you'll encounter a one-limbed alien you've met before. Sometimes you'll see mysterious green slimes/orbs. These don't always appear. I've played several games without ever seeing one and other times I see many. Movement of the monsters is a mystery. Sometimes you can clear out an entire area and your sensors will shut off, but if you come back to that area later more monsters will have moved in. There's still a set number of monsters in each level. The music once you've cleared them out is excellent.

In addition to clearing out the monsters there's a time-limit before the station self destructs. It's a game of careful task management. You have a limit on ammunition for some weapons, others drain your battery (which is like your health). Batteries can be recharged in C Block and ammunition can be obtained from the bullet room in G. Sometimes your buddy Leon will give you special items when you visit him. These are either time-based or based on what blocks have been shut-off (Leon will give you night vision if you visit him when the lights have been knocked out). Strategic weapon/item use is key to success.

Okay, this is not as brief as I thought. I'm in love with this game now because of the two levels it succeeds on. The gameplay is very complex, multi-layered, and strategic with enough randomness to make it variable. The theme is very tense and desperate. The dialogue sort of sucks though. Thus ends my summary.

Magic Engine isn't free but there are always pirate secrets (!) and there's a (well-acknowledged) trick to get around the forced time limit by saving and loading states. It's still a general annoyance though.

PS: THIS Paranoia Steve? Sounds like an RPG some friends of mine mentioned with the same title. I assume they're related.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just completed snes cameltry start to finish, all one hundred stages, in one sitting with no misses. i feel fucking good about this.

( ^_^ )v,,.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a copy of Necronomicon! More accurately, I finally got a copy several weeks ago, then had to wait while the RF adapter I ordered for my saturn got lost in the mail.

Anyway, 2.3 billion on Dreamlands my 3rd time playing. Is that good? I have no idea, but it beat the default scores by a bit.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamlands, i've found, is definitely the easiest table to high score. other people have seem to agree. i don't think i've scored as high as you have on it, though.

necronomicon is pretty great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I one-lifed the arcade version Mercs one time.

Holy dump. Seriously, that game is brutal, but I love it.

I just achieved all silver cups on Shadow of Rome, with a few gold in between. That was a good feeling. I am getting close to speed running Brahma Force, if someone else hasn't done it first I might be the first.

Ever.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
PS: THIS Paranoia Steve?

I was going to post about that in the Hallowe'en / Christmas game thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Anyway, 2.3 billion on Dreamlands my 3rd time playing. Is that good? I have no idea, but it beat the default scores by a bit.

that's better than i've done on Dreamlands. i'm better at Arkham, for some reason.

definitely a respectable score.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wonder what the high score contest for the game looked like. Kaze's website doesn't appear to have any information pertaining to Necronomicon any more, unfortunately.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Lackey wrote:
PS: THIS Paranoia Steve?

I was going to post about that in the Hallowe'en / Christmas game thread.
No actually not that one!

The US version has a different name.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered and could consistently pull off several tricks with game bugs in the original release of Mortal Kombat for SNES. They mostly involved finishing moves and being able to fight/move around long after the screen had gone dark and everyone was supposed to be dead.

I don't think I have any great gaming achievements. I figured out the stage select code for Rad Racer back in the day; does that count?
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game accomplishments are few and far between, to the point where each one is the kind of thing seen only once per generation. Hence:

beating Black Belt on the SMS without getting hit once.
Levelling all my characters to 99 in FFVI.
Ditto for all my characters in FFVII, plus having a complete set of master materia and supportive materia for each
Um, getting a high score of 2.4 million in Ikaruga (fuck you, that shit is still hard for me)
Getting all dogtags in all difficulties in original MGS2.
Being able to kill any enemy in Vagrant Story in one hit
Putting together a complete set of Dread Armor in the same (only took me 5 playthroughs)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gcdiaz, did you get your game yet?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GcDiaz wrote:
Um, getting a high score of 2.4 million in Ikaruga (fuck you, that shit is still hard for me

Me too! But I love it to death.

Oh, and I have no accomplishments to speak of, other than having somebody cover me with remote mines in Perfect Dark and then going to try to give somebody a hug (Lestrade, shout out!). I'm not particularly proud of it, though.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am proud of having a character with whom i actually played a role, and changed the way i felt about them, during KOTOR.

Max Planck was a nice guy who was frazzled by waking up not knowing what the hell was going and noticing a lot of well-armed (though incompentent) people were trying to kill him. this got him really mad and very violent against stupid people trying to tell him what to do, and giving orders or assuming that he had to do things one way, or another, because of something in his head. the game dialogue even made this easy, what with people assuming all kinds of value judgements because of the responses he chose and whatnot. this went pretty easily into being a total cheeseball evil psycho. until he visited kashyyk,

kashyyk made him realize that there was something respectable, and that was standing up to those jerks and showing them to be jerks and stopping them from being jerks to people who weren't. it...uh...actually made sense, even to the people who would occasionally watch me play and look over my shoulder and ask me what i was doing and why i was doing to so many people, in public.

i didn't finish the game, but when i ended the game I was grey, incidentally; still couldn't stand moralizing, but the game started to give me smarter and smarter people to interact with, and i couldn't just kill them all.
GcDiaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
hey gcdiaz, did you get your game yet?

Oh! Yes, it arrived last week. Meant to PM you, but you know guys never call back...
When I had it a few months ago (borrowed from IC's own DJ) I managed to 1CC up to level 3. Now I can't beat level 1 without dying a few times. For shame.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GcDiaz wrote:
Oh! Yes, it arrived last week. Meant to PM you, but you know guys never call back...

:(

i find it's hard to get consistantly good at gradius v because the game sort of lulls you into a false sense of safety then surprises you with a collision death. maybe it's just because the game is so damn long.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
maybe it's just because the game is so damn long.

and visually samey.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

i'm pretty sure their guiding design motif was "beige".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to beat Radirgy period on normal, I'm kind of proud of that. 100% completion in all the Timesplitter's games took me awhile.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal wrote:
I finally managed to beat Radirgy period on normal, I'm kind of proud of that. 100% completion in all the Timesplitter's games took me awhile.

Wow, TimeSplitters are pretty tough, I can't get through many of the hard missions.
Neal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me awhile, but getting gold and platinums on the challenges and arcade leagues was a lot more difficult.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal wrote:
It took me awhile, but getting gold and platinums on the challenges and arcade leagues was a lot more difficult.

Do you see anything way cool or just get all the characters and stuff unlocked?
Neal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unlock all the characters and multiplayer modes and stuff. Nothing cool at all actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: