The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Quantum Leaps in Storytelling"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: "Quantum Leaps in Storytelling" Reply with quote

Brought to you by Gamasutra

I'm sure there are points of contention on this list, but I thought it an interesting idea to kick around. I've played most of the games on the list and have to say I agree at the very least partially for most of their 'rankings.' I'm also getting an intense urge to replay some games I haven't seen in a while...and purchase others which I have yet to lay my hands on.

sidenote: i hate playing series out of order not only for story cohesion, but so i can observe the evolution of the art. but system shock just refuses to work no matter what i do. i can get close, but unless i figure it out...how much will i lose by just skipping ahead to 2?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get System Shock to work myself, but I've played System Shock 2, for all its flaws, a number of times. The story is self-consistent and any links to the previous game are clearly expanded upon, so don't worry.

And yeah, I agree with the mentions on the list (Save The Legend of Zelda II, Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, Baldur's Gate 2 and Starcraft), but not necessarily the order, or even the reasonings brought up.

I have no idea how they can justify Deus Ex as the first position. It may have a huge, intriguing, story, but the presentation was pretty awful, its development dubious and the surrounding gameplay underwhelming. But then again, I'm assuming they really didn't stick to developments in actual story-telling in this budding medium, and got swept away by the stories themselves.

I also need to play A Mind Forever Voyaging.

P.S. Where the Hell is the Thief series? They did everything better than System Shock 2, in any case. I really want to play the first one because I'm told the impression of actually facing a nemesis from beginning to end is felt, a sentiment mitigated in its sequel with all the bizarre missions assigned to you which essentially boiled down to fixing elevators and finding eggs, with clear objectives.

Last edited by Dracko on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing A Mind Forever Voyaging, but I didn't get so far. Whoever programmed it really had a tin ear for dialogue.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex # 1! Alright!

System Shock was also good, and I liked the story in the second (kinda). It's a good thing Marathon is on there or I'd have to shoot someone, but I think it should be more than an Honorable Mention. Actually I feel the same for most Honorable Mentions.

I tried playing Grim Fandago a couple months ago, but found it incredibly boring. Maybe I should get a walkthrough and play through it just for the story, because the puzzles were about as interesting as a doorknob.

Starcraft totally bored me, too. I played through the human campaign and didn't bother with any of the others.

I always thought the original Half-Life was pretty over-rated.

Actually, this list kinda sucks apart from the number one spot.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life is hardly over-rated considering the steps it takes at full integration of the plot. The nature of said plot is irrelevant for judging a game on its story-telling achievement. Deus Ex falls short on that because the actions you take, the shifts in dialogue, have such miniscule, anecdotal consequences that your playthrough does nothing to make you feel a genuine key in the story. You're left out of the loop, you really aren't allowed to take any form of decisions until the end, by which stage it seems like the developers remembered their conceit and tossed them in at the last minute. And the gameplay was half-arsed in the first place.

I mean, what if I had wanted to stay at UNATCO? What if saving Paul was of real consequence? What about the big picture I'm supposed to play a part of?
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Deus Ex for PS2 a while back because I had heard it had a good story and it was dirt cheap, but I wasn't able to get anywhere in it. I think it's because I'm so unused to that type of game. I was worthless in the gun fights, and I somehow fell to my death while trying to climb down a ladder. I had to really concentrate on the controller to do anything, and that's not a sign of a good game for me. Plus a game focused on running around shooting people automatically loses some points with me--can you get any more generic than that?

Interesting to see so many FPS games on the list. Maybe I should try a few more of them--I've always kind of seen them as a fun and original gimmick that could have ended with Doom 2 rather than a real genre. And if they are a genre, they could have at least had the courtesy not to steal the name "shooter" so that I have to explain what I mean when I use the term.

If I made a list like this, it would include Crystalis, Dragon Quest, Silent Hill, Shadow of Destiny, and maybe ICO--it can be hard to separate games with revolutionary storytelling from those that came after and did a similar thing much better.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to give an FPS game a go, I'd say start off with the Marathon series, then try out Half-Life 2.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRIDER.

i guess you can consider my article in the upcoming issue a response to this one, even though i wrote it before i read this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also where's prince of persia?

hell, karateka.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, you're right three times over. I'm ashamed I didn't the Mechner games didn't immediately spring to mind.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confession: marathon < system shock.

or even ultima underworlds 1, another game nobody played.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, planescape didn't impress me much when i played it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always thought the original Half-Life was pretty over-rated.

Back up yr thoughts! I just don't understand how someone can claim this without it being perfunctory reasoning. I'd basically tell anyone who said the original Legend of Zelda was overrated that they were not only missing the point, but in order to come to that opinion, either played the game with their eyes closed or not at all.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Planescape: Torment, but I don't think it's any Brothers Karamazov. The games that come close to that sort of storytelling depth for me are usually the minimalistic ones that don't really do it through words.

Dracko wrote:
. . . try out Half-Life 2.

I've been wanting to play this, but I don't have any platform that can run it. I figure I'll one day pick up a cheap XBOX to play that and the 2-3 other games on the system I've been curious about.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Planescape: Torment, but I don't think it's any Brothers Karamazov. The games that come close to that sort of storytelling depth for me are usually the minimalistic ones that don't really do it through words.

yes!

incidentally, the banner that is on top of this page as i type this is of another world.

rayforce is the standard by which i judge all game narratives.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 1 bugged me because it didn't have much more of a plot than DooM (which would be ok if it wasn't for so many people claiming it has an amazing story, when it was really the presentation), the story-telling tricks they DID use felt cheap, but worst is that too many places felt way too scripted and required trial and error which completely ruined the immersion for me, not too mention just making the game extremely tedious. Also, Xen. Hell, Duke 3D immersed me in its world better and its scripted sequences were pretty much just blowing shit up when you walk near them.

Deus Ex appealed to me more because although most options are pretty clear, I could still approach situations as I please and not worry about what the designer expected me to do. Feeling out of the loop was also part of the appeal to me, as it gave the impression that there were bigger things out there than me, a recurring theme in the game. And as for saving Paul, I think just saving him was enough. When I first failed to save him and I found his dead body, I stared at it for a few moments in sadness. Once I played again and managed to save him, I was just happy that I could save my own brother from death. I didn't think anything else was required and it's these small things that you can change that really made the game for me.

Wanting to stick with an UNATCO is a common problem brought up, it bothered me too even though I thought it was important for them to constrain the story in some places to keep it from falling apart. It's one of the things they tried to fix in the sequel that they got wrong in the first game. They missed the mark in a few other places, but overall I think they handled it all very well.

Half-Life 1 has one of the best introduction sequences though.

System Shock did some things better than Marathon, somethings it didn't, but to be honest I don't think they can really be compared, anyway. I really wish the original System Shock was remade with an interface that didn't suck Sad
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's a legacy from underwor.d

i still remember racing to find that little holed up crewmember who had been contacting you in ss1 only to get there and find a giant robot fucker had burst through the wall and dismembered the shit out of them.

"if only i'd moved faster..."
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda II is certainly an interesting choice, and though I agree with their reasoning I have to wonder if there weren't any games that came before it which did the same thing.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Half-Life 1 bugged me because it didn't have much more of a plot than DooM (which would be ok if it wasn't for so many people claiming it has an amazing story, when it was really the presentation)

Well, first of all, I'll go back to my argument from the Final Fantasy thread: how in-depth can you make a story about aliens taking over? It's a hero-quest, and by definition can't be War and Peace or the aforementiond Kharamazov. It's cohesive and within itself an adventurous and gripping tale. I donno--does anybody really claim that Half-Lifes story is godlike?

Quote:
the story-telling tricks they DID use felt cheap, but worst is that too many places felt way too scripted and required trial and error which completely ruined the immersion for me

Cheap? Morel like unprecedented. Yes, despite the immersion it was still quite linear. What's your point, though? It was telling a story. The fact that the game was essentially a Castletroids FPS helped separate it from the sequenced shooters of the past. That was the trump-card of story-telling "tricks" and it worked quite well. I'd give the game bonus points even just for the "oh shit did I just see G-Man" scenes.

On trial and error: what's the opposite of trial and error? I don't understand. Isn't that what games are about? You wanted to beat it on the first run or something? I fail to see how an FPS game that is legitimately challenging and involves a few small puzzles wouldn't inherently involve trial and error.

And I ask further: how does that dissipate the immersion? If you were, uhm, really escaping a secret government research facility overrun with aliens (emphasizing previous point on story), you don't think it would take a few times to jump from this series of crates to that one? Hell, you don't think there'd be a high chance of dying? Why don't we claim Zelda, or GTA3 isn't revolutionary because there's too much trial and error?

Quote:
not too mention just making the game extremely tedious.

I really just don't know what to say. The game is pretty diverse in the environments and challenges it throws at you, so...I guess this boils down to the lens we view through. I just don't think you're assessing it accurately.

My basic point is that even if your reasons for disliking the game somehow had a basis anyway, claiming that Half-Life wasn't a significant leap in storytelling is just plain wrong.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what I want to see is a game like A Mind Forever Voyaging, but which tells its story by combining elements of games like Half-Life 2, Bully and Shadow of Destiny and Beyond Good & Evil.

Okay,.I don't know what the 'story' was about in AMFV but you could do an awesome game which would be about documenting a country's decline into dictatorship , strict control, poverty (for the many) and despair.

It would show a town being ground under the boot of dictatorship, foremost in its tools would be a) visual representation- it would be structured in timezones with each timezone being a 'level' so that when you revisit the same city in the five years later timezone, you see that the affluence of the 80s (Vice City- IE. Nightclubs, neon lights, fancy cars) has been replaced with a harsh work ethic (Liberty City- only government organised rallies are allowed for entertainment, the city is portrayed in a greyer pallette of colours) before becoming a town which is truly divided between haves and have nots, with the rich living in Mansions while the rest live in slums, b) gameplay. this would borrow from Bully/ GTA /Hitman? and give the authorities many 'rules' that they can pick you up on when you break them -- ie. curfew, littering, speaking to other people in public. And later in the game they can just beat on you if they feel like it.

Darn, I'd love to see this. This would be inspiring.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Okay,.I don't know what the 'story' was about in AMFV but you could do an awesome game which would be about documenting a country's decline into dictatorship , strict control, poverty (for the many) and despair.

this is what the story was about in amfv.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

ok i can't really let this slide.

admittedly, we're working within a genre here and maybe that's part of the problem. but i find planescape really, uh, awesome in two separate ways about story.

first off, it's a game with some complexity in its moral axes. there are usually (especially for the main story branches) a couple of different flavors of good, evil, and in-between to choose from. while there are generic 'good/evil' decisions to be made, those quickly end up having effects that are the opposite of expectations (ok, you can also start predicting these, but even then it will throw you for a loop). Some of the dialogue actually takes the form of puzzles, and you find yourself having to listen to characters in order to get what you want out of them. i mean, what can change the nature of a man is a dang good question, and i had to think a long time in order to answer it, because i really felt like i was trying to do my 24+ WIS character justice. the brain reels at other thingd

note: the dialogue mechanic can be considered kind of broken by the fact that the dialogue engine usually puts 'new' or 'unlocked' choices at the top of the dialogue options, making it easy to see which dialogue will advance you to some new event. alas.

secondly though, and here's where i think it's really neat, is that the story itself incorporates into the gameplay a lot. i guess it's kind of 'excuses', but having your character die and having the game's story continue unbroken can help add to immersion. the immortality of yr partners is a little troublesome with that, though. the battles in carceri was really neat, if only for it being one of the few times in a questing RPG where you actually have a time limit, and so you have to make choices about which choices you'll get.

oh, plus, the options to say certain lines as a "Lie" or "Truth"; the fact that they made, in a D&D-based game, Wisdom to be an actual worthwhile statistic (hamfisted but still), and occasionally dialogue choices that you couldn't repeat over and over again to mine every single piece of data out of...

it does have some huge glaring holes. but planescape is one of the few games where i've made choices just because it felt like that's what the character would have wanted, and that strikes me as the right kind of story for a videogame?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, this is a very weird list. It ranges from me completly agreeing with half of it, and in totall disagreement with the other half.

How odd.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:

My basic point is that even if your reasons for disliking the game somehow had a basis anyway, claiming that Half-Life wasn't a significant leap in storytelling is just plain wrong.

I didn't say that, I said it was over-rated! It certainly threw some new and interesting ideas into the genre, but I still didn't think it was that great a game and had already been impressed by things like Goldeneye, Marathon and System Shock. Because of this, Half-Life failed to make a real mark on me. Plus, as I said, I found the gameplay tedious and it started a few trends that continue today which I really hate. Also, perhaps I didn't make my complaints clear enough? Because your arguements against them are crazy! Oh ho, you crazy internet and your communication crippling ways. Also, my lack of writing ability at 2am.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wrote a response in defence of Half-Life a few days ago, that I deleted because I ultimately decided I was saying a lot of nothing you didn't already know. But I saved it for some reason, so against my better judgement here it is!

Cycle wrote:
Half-Life 1 bugged me because it didn't have much more of a plot than DooM (which would be ok if it wasn't for so many people claiming it has an amazing story, when it was really the presentation)

You raise an interesting point, there. Bear with me because this is long, but I think I can explain what people loved so much about Half-Life's story.

What you call 'presentation', I call 'storytelling'. It's not how many plots points there are in a story that's important, it's the way it's told.
The plot to F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Diamond as Big as The Ritz is basically just this:

Dude goes to the secluded house of a very,very rich family ---> during his pleasant stay it is casually revealed to him that the price of this luxury is murder most foul---> he makes his bid to escape when he discovers that he too is to be killed ---> As he escapes some army dudes come in and burst the rich family's bubble.

That's the whole story. The story of Doom has a lot more plot points, but of course it's not a better or more engaging story than The Diamond as Big As The Ritz. Not that this was ever in question; I'm just citing this to illustrate how plot complexity isn't the only measuring stick to determine how good a story is.

The plot of Doom:

A Space Marine is sent into the Phobos Moonbase to find it overrun by Demons and Zombies -----> he fights his way through the moon base ----> finds a portal to the Deimos Moonbase -----> fights his way through the Deimos moonbase and discovers, in a shocking twist, that the area of Mars' surface that Deimos shadows is Hell itself -----> Fights his way through Hell ----> kills the devil or some shit ---> escapes back to earth to find that the demons have overrun earth. The End?

Half-Life's story is, as you point out, similarly structured, about as complicated, and with the same fixation on violence that the genre calls for.

However! Since Doom's story is told through interstitial cards that occur after every third of the game, we don't care about it. You shoot demons and get keys to open doors. The story is unimportant. Because the story of Half-Life is told in-game, it affects you directly and is therefore much more satisfying- you engage with it as you would a novel. In the first act, in which we see as Gordon starting his work day, the game sets up a sense of routine and normality which is then shattered. And we're engaged by this not just because of the surprise, or even how interesting the story is, but because it changes what we as players then have to do. We were admiring the scenery, talking to the other scientists, and then bang, we're fighting space aliens, having to smash glass and work out ways of navigating the ruined laboratories and blocked passages. This continues throughout the entire game.

Later you're told by the other scientists that the military are coming in to sort this mess out, and everything will be alright so long as you can get to the surface and rendezvous with the military forces. This is your impetus to keep playing- maybe the military will give you some guns, maybe you'll team up with them, whatever- you want to find out what happens. But once you finally meet the military you discover that far from being there to help you, they are under orders to kill everything in the base, including the scientists. As participants in this story we feel betrayed, our hopes dashed. The odds are stacked even further against us. We care about it because now we have to fight the military, who are far more powerful opponents than the aliens ever were, and our fellow scientists are in even more danger. So the story directly affects the gameplay. Gameplay derives directly from the plot. That, I think, is what was so special about Half-Life.

A little footnote here since I've typed this many words already, a few more won't hurt:

Plot complexity aside, Half-Life's story is actually a lot more interesting than Doom's. For all its heavy metal posturing, Doom is bog-standard Hollywood rubbish. American soldier = good, his enemies = evil.

Half-Life's story was written by Marc Laidlaw, an author whose views on war were already established with books like 'Dad's Nuke'. As such, the American government are practically vilified in Half-Life. Their agents are shadowy, untouchable puppeteers, manipulating things from behind the scenes. Their soldiers are unfeeling drones with monstrous, demonic voices who unquestioningly kill innocent people*. A scene in Half-Life: Uplink shows the soldiers burning alien bodies in piles, echoing the Vietnam War. They can't even spell ('Die, Freemen). Shadows of the cold war permeate the entire game, set as it is in a converted nuclear missile base. The point is, whoever wrote Half-Life's story actually had something to say and used the game to say it with fire, passion and above all subtlety, which is atypical of most games of the genre (most games full stop).

*The soldiers are seen to be more human and more heroic in Half-Life: Opposing Forces, but that game quietly drops the whole thing about the military killing innocent scientists, so we can pretty much dismiss it as being seperate to the author's original vision.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found your post interesting! I'm still not convinced (and I doubt I ever will be, so it's no big deal), but I still found some of your points interesting.

It's also made me realise I should have made my original post much longer because people seem to be assuming alot about the way I look at things and that makes me sad Sad I know plot complexity is hardly the only measure of a good story!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought as much after I wrote it! I realised that I'd started by assuming you were dumb and then wrote 10,000 words based on that assumption. That's why I didn't want to post it, because I thought 'actually, he probably knows all of this, what the hell am I thinking'.

Really I just like writing words.
Neal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad Grim Fandango is on the list, even though it isn't a surprise or anything, it's the only game to ever have any real personal relevance for me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i think harvey james harvey is pretty much right. i wish i could trot out my essay on story versus narrative, but we havn't published it yet! instead i'll refer to the old statement that there are only seven or so stories and it is the telling that we judge.

let's talk about marathon's story as a series of interwoven and often nonlinear interstitial cards for bonus points!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
let's talk about marathon's story as a series of interwoven and often nonlinear interstitial cards for bonus points!

So for some reason when I read this I thought of the chapter cards in Clerks. Please tell me Marathon has Clerks-esque chapter breaks.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That aspect of Marathon is one of its major selling points, but also its pitfall. The story the series tell works in vignettes. You, as play, follow the Kill All Aliens plotline while computer terminals around the world inform you of the ongoing battles between three self-conscious AIs. There's two stories at stake here, and it more than often feels like they're too disconnected and unrelated as a result of how they're told. I suppose that's a good thing when taken analytically, for the story's sake, but in-game, it feels off. Thankfully, the gameplay itself is up to it, so it's overseeable, though not forgettable.
Laco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice explanation Harveyjames! Those are my feelings about Half-Life almost exactly. Now I'll have a nice little summary to point my friend to in our neverending Deus Ex vs Half-Life argument. (It doesn't help that he refuses to even pronounce the name of his choice properly..)
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think very many people can pronounce Deus Ex correctly and, even if they do, it's a never ending arguement as to who is right with the pronunciation.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't it "day-ooss ecks"?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laco wrote:
Very nice explanation Harveyjames! Those are my feelings about Half-Life almost exactly. Now I'll have a nice little summary to point my friend to in our neverending Deus Ex vs Half-Life argument. (It doesn't help that he refuses to even pronounce the name of his choice properly..)
I think in my original draft of that I also laid into Deus Ex for a couple of paragraphs, too, so it would have suited your needs almost perfectly.

Although admittedly my main criticism of Deus Ex revolves around how that nightclub section is fucking stupid.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there a leather enthusiast in the nightclub section? explain to me how that could be wrong.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember that, I just remember the awful stilted dialogue, and the lighting that looked as if the level designers had never seen the inside of a nightclub in their lives. On the one hand you have these awkwardly dancing girls saying 'uhh... yeah, move your hips' to each other, and then not 10 feet away there are two guys sat at a table having a very dry and wordy conversation about politics, seemingly oblivious to the pounding pounding techno music. Those guys never take a break. Just once I would have liked to have seen them to shut about the relationship between patriachal society and monethestic religion for one second and get their butts on the dancefloor. It would have done them some good.

Of course, there's doesn't need to be anything like that in Half-Life, because all the characters in the game are people dealing with the same crisis situation. Deus Ex is a little more ambitious, in that we're quite often shown people just going about their everyday lives, but it doesn't convince.
Laco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
isn't it "day-ooss ecks"?

Absolutely! Where he gets "dyoos ecks" from I'm sure I don't know.

Harveyjames wrote:
I think in my original draft of that I also laid into Deus Ex for a couple of paragraphs, too, so it would have suited your needs almost perfectly.

That would have been handy too!

Actually I don't really have anything against Deus Ex. I never really understood it, but then I don't really 'get' Warren Spector stuff in general. That's probably a discussion for another thread, though..
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just once I would have liked to have seen them to shut about the relationship between patriachal society and monethestic religion for one second and get their butts on the dancefloor. It would have done them some good.

i think that was the point, actually.

warren spector is cooler than jesus in my book, so you should start that thread man.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Just once I would have liked to have seen them to shut about the relationship between patriachal society and monethestic religion for one second and get their butts on the dancefloor. It would have done them some good.

I don't believe it. What about the girls saying 'uh... move your hips'?

In Deus Ex, no place is a bad place to hold a two-way lecture about politics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a point where you find two guys talking about Marx in a public toilet. Standing at the urinals. The camera could flick from one extreme close-up of someone's face to another so you know which one is talking.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
dhex wrote:

I don't believe it. What about the girls saying 'uh... move your hips'?

the point was that they should move their hips.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the night club scene was pretty stupid. How the hell did I even end up talking to the bartender about politics? It felt pretty bizzare.

They kinda made up for it for featuring that secret ending where half the cast of the game funk it up on the dance floor.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Deus Ex, no place is a bad place to hold a two-way lecture about politics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a point where you find two guys talking about Marx in a public toilet. Standing at the urinals. The camera could flick from one extreme close-up of someone's face to another so you know which one is talking.

Yeah, but isn't this kind of the point? I mean--I think of it like this. In an ancient Greek or Shakespearian tragedy, when characters manage to walk in at the most inopportune times and when massive amounts of time are squashed into a few seconds, isn't it the same thing?

Think of Deus Ex as a play for am moment, the nightclub like a stage. The lights turn on. Let's say it's the two guys at the table. You see them, and other than JC, they are the only ones on stage. But you know there are more "people--" speakers somewhere in the auditorium play the sounds of conversation and chatter, implying that this is a bustling nightclub--yet we still only "see" two men. Why? They are the important ones, the ones we are to focus on, the ones that are focal to the story.

My point in this is that besides hardware limitations of the time, what did you expect? They could have had 90 people in the club, and you have to try and engage/eavesdrop every single one. But this is a microcosm, and you "finding" the two men, or hearing them, or whatever, is part of the story advancement, neh? The whole idea with Deus Ex is that of a Palahniukian* nightmare--they're everywhere, this conspiracy is everywhere, will crop up anywhere, and you can't escape it.

I mean I'm playing Devil's Advocate to an extent here, but I don't think it's that far-fetched a proposition.

*(note: i'm not a palahniuk fan. i loved fight club in both its iterations. thats the extent. mah neologism refers solely to his magnum opus in this case because it suits me!)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind that there aren't 90 people. It's just that the ones that are there are saying 'uh. move your hips.'

I went to GameFAQS and found the game script and on paper, the scene in question is not as bad as I remembered. I can easily imagine this as one of those awkward shouted conversations you have in clubs.

Warren Spector wrote:

CAROLE
I feel silly.

LISA
You look good. Move your hips a little more. There you go.

CAROLE
Like this?

LISA
That's better.

CAROLE
Want to get something to eat after this?

LISA
Maybe some tea. But I want to go home, take a bath...

CAROLE
Where do you live?

LISA
Not too far.
I like your tattoo.

CAROLE
Really?

LISA
The claws of a dragon... touching your breast.

CAROLE
I just thought it would be sexy.

LISA
I'm trying to dance.
I don't think so.
Please.

CAROLE
I want to dance with my friend.
We want to be by ourselves.
Leave us alone.

The problem is, in the game they're not shouting, they're just saying it to each other. The music isn't even particularly loud, so it's a little weird. Also the fact that there are two people having a super-literate conversation not 20 feet away doesn't help matters. Anyway, that's my problem with Deus Ex; It bites off more than it can chew trying to create such a realistic game world, because very little of it really convinces. I'm not talking about hardware limitations- I buy the world of Monkey Island more than I do this.

I might not even mind that there are reams and reams of dialogue to wade through if the dialogue wasn't so turgid and dull, but it is, and very little of it derives from what you're actually doing. Of course, you don't have to read any of it, but just the fact that everyone is having these long-winded conversations everywhere you go takes away from the reality they've strived so hard to create. It's all so dry and self-important and unaware of its own ridiculousness.

Warren Spector has so much he wants to tell us you feel like he should have just written a factual book like Noam Chomsky or someone. No-one would have published it, though.

Really though Deus Ex doesn't deserve the amount of scorn I'm heaping on it. It's an ambitious game, It had a protracted development, and it was quite ahead of its time when they started making it. I just don't think it's as clever as people think. Like reading someone's bad 1000-page novel they put out through vanity publishing.

N.B. I should probably throw 'devoid of characterization' in there somewhere, too.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with Harvey. The gameplay wasn't as solid as it should have been and yoru actions were undermined by the requirements of the story, making them trivial.

It's still brilliant on many levels, but not as a gameplay experience. An atmospheric one, yes, though when irks in the gameplay come along, they can over-ride it. Better design and enemy placement as well as behaviour patterns may have helped in this.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in 'defending Deus EX for the sake of balance' mode. I found Old Man Murray's hilarious Deus Ex walkthrough:

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/84.html

It's easy to forget, but before Deus Ex, you just couldn't do the sort of thing they do in this walkthrough. Revelatory!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never forgot!

Your previous post reminds me of an essay one of my co-workers wrote. He complained about playing Bloodlines and the character not getting tired from rocking out on the dance floor, and how people don't step back when you get right up in your face. I guess I can suspend belief easier than you guys, even if it is rather over-the-top in some places. It's not like the entire game is as silly as the night club scene though. And how do you know Spector wrote that part!

Then again, I was dissapointed when playing Half-Life 2 after I threw a glass bottle at some chicks head, hoping she would bleed, fall to the ground and start sobbing and then a Columbine or whatever soldier would come along, start laughing and give me a high five. She just turned around and asked me to knock it off Sad
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'knock it off' is about the biggest reaction you're going to get out of them.

My Dad got angry at me when I played Half-Life 2 on his Xbox because I just ran around the train station causing mischief instead of behaving 'in character'. That's just how you have to play these games, though-- you probe all the cracks and find out where the boundaries are in terms of the behaviour you're able to get away with. It's only fair the developers that you try to fully explore the possibilities of this world they've put so much time into.

I don't know if my playing method is more cerebral or his is, though. If you imagine it being like us being kids who are both given GI Joes, I would be the one checking to see how many points of articulation it has while my dad waste no time in sending it on missions to fight Skeletor and making machine-gun noises with his mouth. On the other hand, my Dad's play style would have something to do with the way the toy was intended to be played with, whereas it's safe to say that within 20 minutes I would have put GI Joe up my butt. Horses for courses I suppose.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember telling some people about some of the screwing around I did in the first area, and someone actually called me a dick. They meant it, too.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I play in character if I'm showing a game to other people and screw around on my own time. Seems reasonable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: