The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's the "PS3 is shit" thread? (j/k)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Where's the "PS3 is shit" thread? (j/k) Reply with quote

Japan's release was last Friday I believe. I didn't buy one of course, and wouldn't have even been able to buy one in my town if I had 60,000 yen to spend and spoke Japanese well enough to play the games. But it sounds like it's a right spectacular system.

- Has difficultly playing some of the older games, some not at all (seemed like that would be a given)
- 4 Launch titles only
- Limited supply (100,000 systems only)
- systems on eBay for three times the amount so far

Shaping up to be one of the worst launches for a system possibly? Hmmm. Probably not. However Sony really needs things to go there way and the limited supply is gonna hurt them,

BUT. Look on the good side. At least nobody has reported a problem with the BluRay system, had their system explode or crash, or any other hardware problems just yet. That would cripple Sony this holiday if that was the case. Kind of sucked what happened to Microsoft last year when quite a few of their systems went on the fritz, but they recovered well in the USA.

Anybody picking one up this upcoming Friday in the states? Or are you waiting for the Wii? And I think it would be a good idea to have a article in a future issue about systems launches, ie which ones have been failures, which launches were good, etc. This a Possibility?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I pick one up? The PS3 is shit.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, I don't see the PS3 holding any appeal this year. We'll see how things go in the future.
wourme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No game I've heard about so far has interested me in any of the next-generation consoles. Remember when Super Nintendo was coming, and Nintendo Power had that huge fold-out poster filled with screenshots of games that you just knew were going to be great? That's the last time I remember a console launch being the least bit exciting.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like it's too easy of a target.

The price and the scarcity has pretty much thrown a wet blanket over any excitement I might have had for it. It's funny though, that at a local retailer while I was trying to track down some Wii info yesterday, they had a Wii set up, with a monitor playing a demo. There was also some commentary playing, but I couldn't hear any of it due to the enormous 30+ inch screen directly above it showing PS3 footage and blaring music. Plus, I've seen MUCH more TV advertising for the PS3 that I have for the Wii. All this for a system that probably won't be in too many hands this year. Wes has convinced me that Sony knows what they're doing, but still, ugh.

As an aside, I was a little shocked to see how huge it is in comparison to the 360. Heavy, too, allegedly.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man what a bunch of miserable launch games this thing has.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing an article for my school newspaper's Christmas Issue called "Why I don't care about the PS3 (and why you shouldn't either)". It's going to be part of this anti-PS3 "propoganda" spread I'm doing.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
No game I've heard about so far has interested me in any of the next-generation consoles. .

Same here, at 27 y/o although I have a long history of being obsessed with most things game related, I'm finding I don't really care that much anymore. Sure I WANT to care, but I am able to look at things with more scepticism and wait and see attitude than I did at 18 waiting for the N64 and Zelda:OOT, having been slightly burnt before.

To me the DS is the true 'Next-Generation'* console, as it is a console that my mum has enjoyed playing on (Brain Age, Pheonix Wright, Dr. Mario)

What I will do is wait a couple of months or a year and then weigh up which system has the 'more obviously appealing' range of games. Bearing in mind that this is subjective and fallible, sure I may think I'll like Dead Rising --- but will I? And I may hope that Zelda:TP will iron out the problems of the previous games, but there is no indication that this is what it is even trying to do. It will surely be a good -even great game in parts, but will it *overall* be the sort of game I will want to play? Will the Wii be gimmicky, and suited to mindless action / mini-games. Or will it bring in enjoyable adventure games -- and interesting games that use the unique selling points of the system well? Will I enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4 or just find it a well-done game with a plot as crazy as a BSE infected cow, and lots of homoerotic under/overtones.

So yeah, it is all a gamble. Each system will have enjoyable games so it probably doesn't matter TOO much which anyone gets. But, yeah I'll wait and see.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the ps3:

it hasn't exploded yet."

what makes me sad is that sony is charging sixty-thousand yen for a videogame machine that does nothing new because they're certain that gamer-identified people will buy anything for any price and, sure enough, gamer-identified people are wasting no time in proving sony right.

it makes me loathe "gamers". the wii could not come sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
"the ps3:

it hasn't exploded yet."

what makes me sad is that sony is charging sixty-thousand yen for a videogame machine that does nothing new because they're certain that gamer-identified people will buy anything for any price and, sure enough, gamer-identified people are wasting no time in proving sony right.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valuation is a tricky thing. (with or without feathers)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove by a Best Buy this afternoon and saw like 12 tents set up and it pouring rain out. I kind of felt bad for em but figured if they had the 600 dollars to drop on the thing, then whatever.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal wrote:
I drove by a Best Buy this afternoon and saw like 12 tents set up and it pouring rain out. I kind of felt bad for em but figured if they had the couple days to spare to bring in $1000+ on ebay, then whatever.
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Enough
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still totally want a PS3.

_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one. I just don't $500 want one.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few plans and I'm hoping one of them works!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I have a few plans and I'm hoping one of them works!

-Wes

Some rich kids carry knives. Make sure it's a littler one you steal from.

_Marcel Duchamp
Neal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else you could maybe sabotage someone's tent.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty ridiculously heavy. And glossy, like PSP-level glossy.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the first person to look to defend the PS3. So what if the systems got a "bad start"? Four launch titles? Boo-fucking-hoo. How many US launch titles are not ports or braded by the letters "E" and "A"? For the most part, much like the PS2, it will be a high-end media player and/or status symbol. Give it some time, and they'll buy some games every now and then. It's not like they own a 360 or anything like that. For kiddy games they'll buy a Wii and for next-gen HD binges they'll buy the PS3 version.

The Japanese are basically thinner versions of Americans with more disposable income living in a country that is on the business end of 10% of all the earthquakes recorded in the entire world. Sucks to be us, huh?

Even if one in ten launch PS3s were but on the eBay site, that would be 40-50 thousand listings. Which may not sound so bad until you realize that "one in ten" isn't going to happen. No way. More like one in five, or 80 to 100 thousand units. Time will tell, but that's my guess. My store got in less than ten systems and 40 games of the various titles. We recieved twice as many Wii systems and are already sold out of three games for it. Any one who still thinks the PS3 is selling because of the games should be dragged out in the street and thrown into traffic. The Wii is a gaming console. The PS3 is a status symbol and/or multimedia center.
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

third time's a charm?

dessgeega wrote:
"the ps3:

it hasn't exploded yet."

_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own personal justification for wanting a PS3 is that (much like 80% of the rest of the people on these boards), I'm going to get one eventually so it might as well be now. If I don't get one at launch I won't be crying about it like I would with the Wii (played it last night at the mall!), but if I do get one I'll be happy.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Sony, our should it HAVE TO, even have put out commercials for something like the PS3? When you have a system in such short supply, what's the point of putting out tons of marketing when you can't even capitalize on the demand for the product? Seems like a waste of money to me. If you're trying to sell 10 million systems this Xmas, MAKE 10 million systems. Of course you want the demand to remain high and create more demand than the actual supply, but how many people like having to wait 2-3 months for the next shipment to come in? I'll buy a PS3 Xmas 2008. Wii next year for Xmas, and this year I'm cheaping it out preowned games and my DS. Should be just as good nonetheless.

I still dont' understand why people buy something just to be the first to play it, or beat it. Like buying clothes. You wait long enough, the seasons change and you can get that $40 shirt for $5 now at the store. It's still the same shirt, nothing's changed about it, but it's $35 cheaper. But then again, if we didn't have all these people buying the initial offering, Sony wouldn't make any money, wouldn't be able to make more systems and manufacturing, and therefore wouldn't push the price down with the increased supply. Freaking economics . . .
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony's always been a luxury item seller.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're trying to sell 10 million systems this Xmas, MAKE 10 million systems.

except someone has to pay for those 10 million manufactures.

sony has had some cashflow problems as of late.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
My own personal justification for wanting a PS3 is that (much like 80% of the rest of the people on these boards), I'm going to get one eventually so it might as well be now.

This is sound logic if your name is Mr. Moneybags and you drive a car made of money.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother purchasing quality when you can afford to purchase quantity?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a troll.

I think Sony has won already. The sheer amount of press associated with the launch has put the words "sony playstation" in the minds of every single newswatching parent and potential game buyer. The wii launch on sunday won't garner a tenth of this press. No one is going to get shot over a Wii, and I mean, if people aren't getting shot then who really cares? Moreover they're launching with a sports game (maybe a basketball one?) which is a good portion of the target market there. It doesn't matter that there's no supply, everyone (being people who don't read forums like this one) knows now that the PS3 is in extreme demand and when the actual supply rolls around sometime next year I think Sony will blow Nintendo and Microsoft's sales numbers out of the water.

I still think Nintendo will do well, and Microsoft has been doing an all right thing, but Sony is going to come out on top again.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press doesn't get average people to fork over $600 (or more). You're a pretty hardcore gamer and you're having trouble justifying $300 for an Xbox 360. Things don't automatically change when you introduce the word Playstation.

At any rate, I wanted to mention that Auction prices are falling and greedy people who put up crazy reserve amounts are missing out on prime sellers as the prices continue to fall. It's pretty interesting. I'm guessing by mid-next week the system will be going for a much more reasonable price on eBay, and most of the profiteers will end up disappointed.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping the profiteers crash and burn. The PS3 launch has been a sad reminder of how greedy and petty people are. See this week's 1up show for some very telling, disturbing footage.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You're a pretty hardcore gamer and you're having trouble justifying $300 for an Xbox 360.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, I don't even like Half-Life 2! Besides, I'm in a bit of a financial crisis right now so I don't consider it fair to use me as an example.

Mostly my point is that the PS3 has been seen to have such high demand, even if it's artificial, that it's going to be seen as one of the hot toy this year. All the toymakers want that kind of buzz, to see lines of people waiting outside toys'r us for the next tickle me elmo shipment, and the PS3 has that. I think if there had been plentiful stock of the thing when it was released (like the Wii), it would just be seen as another $600 video game console, but by creating this rampant demand and enthuiaism they've turned it into something more than that which has caught more mainstream attention that Nintendo can manage to catch up with.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong because I have no real interest in seeing Sony succeed, but this is how I see it.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launches mean shit. Come two weeks before Xmas is when it really matters. You sit a kid down with a PS3 or Wii, and also a parent, and I bet you they'll buy the Wii for the kid 6-10 times. It's going to depend on what both systems can get out in terms of games in the next month that will decide everything for the Holiday season and for the month afterwards. By the way, what IS scheduled to be released before Xmas on both systems?
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost certainly not true. But I wish it was, and I wish I had video.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then he bought a PS3!

Ha-ha!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's true, he doesn't seem bright enough to make up a story like that. I liked that story before I decided

1.) Those nerds probably didn't deserve that. They'd waited in line for about three days more than him. He says they were being jerks, and maybe they were, but I don't trust his judgement entirely since

2.) He is a jerk. His ebay page says 'NO NIGERIANS'. And personally, I couldn't do something like that to another human being without considering their feelings. I was rubbish in fights in school because I would pull my punches, like when you go to stamp on a balloon and you just end up planting your feet either side of it each time, you just can't bring yourself to do it. This guy wouldn't pull his punches. He would probably shoot a person given licence to do so.

Quote:
we all told them to fuck off, out of spot, out of line. it was all of us against him so he didnt say shit. the nerds came back and tried to start some shit but we just laughed, we told them it was their rule and to go fuck themselves and clean the shit off their pants. the called security and security came. security man was like WTF is that fuckin smell and looked at the nerds with shit all of them and kicked them off the grounds screaming LMAO.

Cold, hard-nosed thuggery.

3.) Those nerds were probably buying it to play it. They wouldn't even have turned a profit off it. Poor kids, they deserved to get PS3s way more than he did. Their whole lives up to that point have probably been a string of similar humiliations, and videogames are their only respite from that. Well done for ruining that for them too, fucker.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like that smashmyps3.com video in that I cannot figure out what is so funny about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: