The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A space opera has me truly interested. Hell freezes over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: A space opera has me truly interested. Hell freezes over. Reply with quote

Then again, I suppose whether it could be defined as one is up for debate. Regardless, the more information gleamed about Mass Effect, the more compelling it sounds. The gameplay as well as the cool visual touch had me bought from the start, but a recent edition of Edge magazine revealed even juicier background and story information.

For one, what the player's goal within the entire planned trilogy boils down to, as a member of a panuniversal security council, is either you can bring unity to the entire galaxy, or you can raise humanity to dominate it. An intriguing posthumanist query if there is one, and one with ample moral and loyalist potential. Even more delightfully humorous to me is the idea that humanity was chosen to join this special order after having its gritty pragmatism and adaptability was revealed during a sci-fi old-hat attack by a brute race on its home planet.

Sure, they have a Force rip-off involved, but at least they try to make it sound somewhat credible (A fifth force in physics, reputedly dark energy but known elsewhere as the mass effect, that mankind recently discovered as a result of joining the council). And your main enemies being alien A.I.s is also quite intriguing.

This has the potential for greatness, and it already sounds quite clever to me.

Now I wait for them to reveal who it is that's making their truly artful and ambient dark synth score.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: