The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PS3's Killer App

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: The PS3's Killer App Reply with quote

Have you guys seen this stuff?

It looks fucking amazing! The launch lineup for the PS3 pretty much blows. The only games that really interest me are Resistance: Fall of Man, and Ridge Racer 7, both games that I can easily live without, but these, for lack of a better term, "Live Arcade" games look really nice. They really have the potential to do for the PS3 what Geometry Wars did for the Xbox 360. If they can keep a steady flow of downloadable games it could offset the fact that interesting "real" games are few and far between. It strikes me as odd that the best games for a $600 system could cost under $5.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definetely sounds interesting. I probably won't get a PS3 for a very long time though (I haven't even had my PS2 for a year yet).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's something to look forward to when I eventually get the system. Though, I already played the crap out of flOw a couple times.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The PS3's Killer App Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Have you guys seen this stuff?

It looks fucking amazing!

which one, go sudoku?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very interesting that they're going to be offering flOw to PS3 owners. It's almost as if Sony's trying to cater to an artsier crowd than the casual types Microsoft's courting with Live Arcade.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to be seeing here.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
It's almost as if Sony's trying to cater to an artsier crowd than the casual types Microsoft's courting with Live Arcade.

I don't see this. If anything they are aiming for the independant game crowd, which MS is fighting even harder to get than sony.

dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there already a Lemmings 2?

I'd say apart from Flow, these are actually more conservative than microsoft's offerings, as many of them are based on existing licenses (which is not comparing them Live ports of arcade games, obviously).

Or maybe they aren't? Is there a list of what's available on Live?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they souped of Flow? It looks a bit different from the current game.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Isn't there already a Lemmings 2?

I'd say apart from Flow, these are actually more conservative than microsoft's offerings, as many of them are based on existing licenses (which is not comparing them Live ports of arcade games, obviously).

Or maybe they aren't? Is there a list of what's available on Live?

See, Blast Factor and the updated Flow both look really awesome. I'm also way down for some Lemmings and if Gripshift changes to shitty techno and dark-but-shiny graphics like the rest of these games rather than the horrible Reggae and colorful, generic graphics of the PSP version it'll end up being really good.

The announced PS3 downloadable games are good news primarily because it shows that they're taking it more seriously than I assumed they were. I kinda thought they were just putting together a framework that they'd pretend would be filled eventually. These show that they're taking it much more seriously. In the end, I want Sony to screw up the next generation as much as the next guy, but if they're willing to put forth the effort to not screw things up I'm fine with them being the market leader in the next generation as well. This is the first sign I've seen that they're sort of trying, and it's a nice one.

In answer to your question though, Live Arcade is almost all really well-done ports, parlor games, and classic arcade remakes. I'd give you a link to the available games, but Live is down today for "maintenance." You'll have to trust me when I say that Geometry Wars is the only original game on there that's worthwhile.

-Wes

UPDATE: More original Xbox Live games are coming. (admittedly only one and a half)

Quote:
Lumines Live (which hits XBLA Wednesday morning at 1 am), Contra, Gyruss, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mutant Storm Empire, Small Arms, and several others (that it didn't reveal).

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is every hit game for the PSP (all . . . five of them?) will be on the PS3 download service within a year.

Edit: I guess this isn't just my inane crackpot thinking, it might actually be a real rumor.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is it ironic that the thing that might save the PS3, the pinnacle of the idea of HD gaming, is low budget, cheap games or ports of games from previous generations?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana: ports must have 30% new content!

Anyways, wait... is Lumines XBL out ... like now? How much is it? I... might actually buy it for new songs, and hopes of a random mode.

EDIT: Shit! $15 plus $7.50 more for the rest (initial has 12 songs/skins, 22 come with the "more")? That's bullshit.

Last edited by Shapermc on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Also, is it ironic that the thing that might save the PS3, the pinnacle of the idea of HD gaming, is low budget, cheap games or ports of games from previous generations?

It's the same thing as with the Xbox 360. I've got more $5 and $10 games than I do $60 ones.

I'm fighting the urge to get Lumines tonight. It's like $23 for the whole game (or you can pay $15 for a neutered version) and I won't even have a disc. I'd rather they opted to go with a $30 budget title with this one.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'd rather they opted to go with a $30 budget title with this one.

Yeah, fuck. Also, how is this going to fit on a memory card (not that I need to worry about that).

Anyways, it concerns me. This is heavily breaking the pricing structure.

EDIT: I would have rather done 3 $8 packs. $8 for the 12 song 'core', $8 for 11 more songs, $8 for the final 11. It would be the same price, but much easier to fucking swallow.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, it concerns me.

Mother FUCK!

There's more...

Apparently you just get the base game for $15. It's another $7.50 for the added content pack (which was supposed to come out today, but instead has been pushed back to a later date), and another who knows how much (probably $7.50) for the "VS CPU" add-on. Why the hell didn't they just release a disc for this one?

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

losing faith in micropayments itt
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
and another who knows how much (probably $7.50) for the "VS CPU" add-on. Why the hell didn't they just release a disc for this one?

This seals it for me. I'm not getting it. I'll just buy the second "XBLA disc collection" that they put out. I'll download the demo for it though.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, they're putting out collections of XBLA games? Doesn't that just defeat the purpose of buying the games online in the first place?

I'm thinking about the anime market when I say this. A few years ago companies decided they wanted to start rereleasing complete series at a discount price and consumers caught on to the point that significantly fewer people were buying individual discs of series because there would be a cheaper box later. It really shot them (the anime licensors) in the foot.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they put this on the HD of the pro system.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Wait, they're putting out collections of XBLA games? Doesn't that just defeat the purpose of buying the games online in the first place?

Not everyone is sold by online purchasing and you'd probably get more people buying your products on the whole if you release them in different fashions.

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I'm thinking about the anime market when I say this. A few years ago companies decided they wanted to start rereleasing complete series at a discount price and consumers caught on to the point that significantly fewer people were buying individual discs of series because there would be a cheaper box later. It really shot them (the anime licensors) in the foot.

Yeah, but individual disc series are generally rip-offs anyway. ;P

I mean, £20 for two, maybe three episodes a piece?

I understand the issue though. I only buy by comics when they're released in trade paperbacks, save for two exceptions (Fell, Casanova and the odd one-shot). Apparently, this as ill effect on the comics industry as a whole, because there isn't immediate profit on a series, but I can's say I want to pay nearly £3 for an issue when I know I can collect all 6 to 10 issues in a trade at £10, without all the useless adverts or fan mail.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:

This is a little different. First, only like 33% of people are online so not everyone can get these games and many want them. Second, you aren't going to want all of these games. Third, one of them was free on XBL at one point (Texas Hold'em), and half I wouldn't pay for UNLESS I was forced to (like, because I didn't have online and could only get them in this disc). Fourth, you have people w/o HD and this also solves needing to erase and re-download to your memory card.

This isn't like, all of one publishers games (like you are talking about with anime). This is just like a grab bag.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/arcadeunpluggedvol1/review.html

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I figured it was similar in the idea that "why buy each game now, and pay more, when I can get them all later for cheaper?" but I guess that happens anyway (unless you're Nintendo)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just heard an impression of the most interesting game of the PS3 lineup that disapointed me:

"Lair: Remember the framerate of the first Panzer Dragoon on Saturn? Well, imagine that, BUT IN 1080P! Hot damn!"

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Well, I just heard an impression of the most interesting game of the PS3 lineup that disapointed me:

"Lair: Remember the framerate of the first Panzer Dragoon on Saturn? Well, imagine that, BUT IN 1080P! Hot damn!"

If it has the abstractness of the first Panzer Dragoon on Saturn then we could have something interesting in a bad way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: