The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unintended Horror.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Unintended Horror. Reply with quote

Unfettered Blather clearly agrees with Mr. St. Louis. However, the dam from TMNT is replaced with one from Half-Life.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is almost the exact same article... wow.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharks are scary.

their worst nightmare would be a game version of that movie where that couple is lost in the carribean and eaten by sharks, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda creepy, the whole 'something was thinking the same thing as me'. Somehow I don't feel nearly as original as I thought I was--maybe I wasn't all that original to begin with!

Those weird prehistoric shark monster things were pretty scary in Half-Life, but the part that got me was having to scale that outside cliff while the helicopter was flying around. Or was that Opposing Force? It's been a while on both accounts...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing under the Highway Bridge in HL2 is by far the most unintended horror I have ever come across.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both scenes were in Opposing Forces. Although I haven't beaten Half-Life so I could be mistaken.

I still play Sentient on occasion just for the overwhelming sense of wrongness that pervades it. I really don't think that was deliberate; the game is supposed to be tense but I don't think the character's are supposed to look so uncanny.
Laco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they were both from the original. I remember them clearly, whereas most of Opposing Force is sort of a blur.

Did anyone get some of this vertigo feeling from Max Payne (2)? It doesn't really affect me, but those games came to mind when thinking about this topic. I remember quite a lot of tall buildings, narrow ledges, etc. Granted, you don't get a first person view, but still..
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, third-person gets me just as easily as first-person on the whole vertigo thing. Sometimes third-person is worse--as in real life, in first-person games, you can often choose to 'just not look down' but are rarely afforded that luxury in third-person, where sometimes the heights you're trying to avoid are presented at their scariest by fixed camera angles. Lucasarts' (what is it with them, anyways?) Shadows of the Empire on the N64 did that for me on multiple occasions. I haven't played either Max Payne, though.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do get a little motion sick jumping off of things from high places in fps games. daggerfall was one of the worst (climbing tall towers and throwing yourself off) though the bridge on half life 2 comes to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: