The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mario 64: genre definition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Mario 64: genre definition? Reply with quote

Is mario 64 really a "3d platform" game? Well, everyone says that it is so that is what it gets called. Personally though I don't see it as a platform game, to me a platform game is about getting from the start of the level to the end of the level (y'know Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, Cool Spot, Earthworm Jim). But in Mario 64. you don't get this linearity, what I see as being a '3d platformer' are games like Crash Bandicoot, where you are stuck on a linear track.

What I see Mario 64 as being is an "action-adventure", in that it gives you tasks / puzzles that also require a bit of thought. The key thing is that it frames these tasks in the 'running and jumping' controls of a platform game. So it is an action adventure as interpreted via a base of "platforming".
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, okay. I am not really sure what to do with this. To me it seems like you're just looking for a name change to something more apt, which is fine, but I just don't know where that takes us. Okay, I should be writing something trite and in Russian right now and not checking up on these forums.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread needs more jumping flash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, it has always just seemed wrong to me. When I heard about Mario 64 a "3d platformer" I laughed at the idea, imagining a game that would be like (Crash Bandicoot) even though I had never seen that game at the time. I thought well, that will be rubbish. But! when I saw the screenshots with the giant mushrooms and the previews I thought, well that looks quite good. I was kind of blown away by Mario 64 when I eventually played it. I still don't think that 3Dplatform game is the right term for what it is. And I just had to mention it somewhere.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
thread needs more jumping flash.

Every gamer needs more Jumping Flash.

Especially Nintendo fanatics.

I've expressed my disliking of Mario 64 before. It's certainly ambitious, but its clunky and claustrophobic. I expect Mario Galaxy to improve on that due to its design, but then again, Mario 64's was a design based around freedom and variety as well and was anything but.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Every gamer needs more Jumping Flash.

jumping flash needs more jumping flash.

(i'm looking at you, stage 2-2.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now would be a great time for any of you in the know to tell an uninformed gamer what Jumping Flash is and how he can play it. Just to be clear, I am that shamefully uninformed gamer.

And I am sure that Mario 64 really did rock Dracko's world and that he is living a lie.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumping flash is a first-person platformer. and it's really swell. it's a playstation game (there's a sequel, to make up for the fact that the first game is so short).

you play a robot bunny who can jump the height of a skyscraper. the game sets you down in these huge stages and asks you to go find a bunch of rocket packs. (they look like carrots.) did i mention you can jump really, really high? the camera will tilt down when you jump so you can see where you're landing (like in metroid prime).

every so often you'll have to blunder through a stage from doom, as if the game is a first-person shooter and not a game about jumping really really high. they're annoying. the bosses are pretty annoying too. but press through and eventually they'll let you jump! jump! jump! again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And I am sure that Mario 64 really did rock Dracko's world and that he is living a lie.

Your certitude does nothing to make Miyamoto any better a game designer.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hot tip, Dess!

Dracko wrote:
Your certitude does nothing to make Miyamoto any better a game designer.

My certitude only exists because I think it's fun to tease you about something on which we completely disagree, each of us for well-conceived and -articulated reasons. It's also fun because sometimes I think you're a crotchety old curmudgeon, and there are few finer pleasures in life than needling curmudgeons.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm barely 20! ;_;

(Though i could a cane. It could go with my Russian greycoat.)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest, here: what doesn't go with a Russian greycoat?
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
jump! jump! jump! again.

I've been wanting to play this game for so long. I've been playing it, in my mind. Is the sequel as good?
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3D platformer is a 3D game that involves lots of jumping on platforms.

I'm pretty sure Mario 64 fits this definition.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Mario 64 is more freeform than its 2D predecessors, it's still distinctly platformy to me. There are attempts here and there to make the world look more, uh, sensible? But for the most part the game is still full of videogamey floating blocks and switches and other weirdness. In other words, platforms. Contrast with Super Mario Sunshine which almost completely separates the two spheres into Real World and Secret Levels, the latter being pure platformy goodness.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Contrast with Super Mario Sunshine which almost completely separates the two spheres into Real World and Secret Levels, the latter being pure platformy goodness.

I really like your thinking there.
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked Mario 64. Just that attract mode with his face looking around was enough to turn me away, but I eventually did try the game and quit after half an hour or so. I'm a big fan of many of Miyamoto's projects (such as the 3D Zeldas), but Mario in 3D just didn't appeal to me at all.

Jumping Flash 2 (the first one I came across) was what convinced me that I could actually enjoy 3D platformers (or polygon-based games in general, really). Even if I haven't liked very many since.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario 64 is one of the few 3D platformers I enjoyed! I loved the worlds, the tasks and the way you could just experiment, explore and fool around like in a virtual playground. I'd like to see the virtual playground element taking further to be honest, with all different objects to play with and that react with each other in interesting and fun ways.

Then again, I'd also like to see a game just made up from those Bowser/Bonus levels.

Jumping Flash! is also rad. I'm stil ltrying to find a copy of the japanese only third game, which apparently was a bit different from the first two. Also, it had pocketstation support.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
jumping flash is a first-person platformer. and it's really swell. it's a playstation game (there's a sequel, to make up for the fact that the first game is so short).

It is also a gas gas gas.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I've never liked Mario 64. Just that attract mode with his face looking around was enough to turn me away, but I eventually did try the game and quit after half an hour or so. I'm a big fan of many of Miyamoto's projects (such as the 3D Zeldas), but Mario in 3D just didn't appeal to me at all.

I thought that the stretchable giant head attract mode was brilliant, a well-implemented virtual toy. A little orewellian, but just a cool thing to throw into a game.

Re: the genre definition... I guess games like Crash and the Mario Sunshine bonus levels are rare enough that they shouldn't get to hog the "3D platformer" namespace, (hmm, come to think of the Lego Star Wars I'm playing now is also kind of in this mode) even though they're closer to the 2D platformers of old. Arguably, they're almost 2D games with a 3D view...

Of course, it's all due to gravity, right? On most games, and in life, you're more or less limited to one less dimension than you should have... 2D games have a lot of 1D left to right, unless they're ladder hell, and 3D games are often running around 2D foorspace, with a few jumps and ladders thrown in. Fish and birds might not be quite so limited.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could say 3D platformers are planar but with multiple planes. You still have to be on a surface for the game to work. I don't know what I'm saying.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really on topic, and may overlap a little bit with the "Input as Metaphor" article from TGQ 3 or 4, but I would like to say that one of the things Mario 64 excelled at was its camera, or more accurately, its cameraman.

The idea of the entire absurd adventure being a newscast or documentary really appeals to me, and entirely undermines the idea of stories driven by cutscenes because it implies that the narrative consists entirely of what you do. And the loose, active camera that swings around Mario at highly unconventional angles (especially now with RE4 style behind the back 3rd pers. perspectives becoming the textbook way to present a game) conveys a sense of Lakitu's uncertainty, of his curiosity to capture I'll finish this later because i have to go so everyone look for an edit.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
This isn't really on topic, and may overlap a little bit with the "Input as Metaphor" article from TGQ 3 or 4, but I would like to say that one of the things Mario 64 excelled at was its camera, or more accurately, its cameraman.

The idea of the entire absurd adventure being a newscast or documentary really appeals to me, and entirely undermines the idea of stories driven by cutscenes because it implies that the narrative consists entirely of what you do. And the loose, active camera that swings around Mario at highly unconventional angles (especially now with RE4 style behind the back 3rd pers. perspectives becoming the textbook way to present a game) conveys a sense of Lakitu's uncertainty, of his curiosity to capture I'll finish this later because i have to go so everyone look for an edit.

I like how you might forget that the camera is personified that way until that one level with big mirrored wall. It's a nice touch.

BTW, if a person was invisible, they'd be blind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: