The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fallout fans are LEGENDARY and should probably be NSFW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This takes me back to my high school days, when me and my friends enjoyed the Fallout series muchly but weren't pircks about it either.
911nevarforget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herve Caen is an evil man who killed Fallout. He is also a jew, so he is an terrorist.

Never forget.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never forget.
<moment of silence>

I had intended to rip on the Bethesda fangirls here, but I think I will pass. Instead of spam and flames I will try to some insight into the outrage at the ongoing perversion of, what many believe is, the greatest franchise in crpg history.
Now I realize there ain’t no Albert Einstein motherfuckers in this crowd, but break out your abacuses and I’ll put it in easy-understand-terms:
First, imagine that the Fallout games (1&2) were the first roleplaying games you ever played and became the standard by which you judge all others. Second, I want you to pretent that you have a teenage daughter; sweet, innocent, your pride and joy. Now, you just find out that she’s been sucking dick for crack. Crying or Very sad
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, imagine that the Fallout games (1&2) were the first roleplaying games you ever played and became the standard by which you judge all others. Second, I want you to pretent that you have a teenage daughter; sweet, innocent, your pride and joy. Now, you just find out that she’s been sucking dick for crack.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethesda fangirls, that's pretty good, that implies either that we're girls, which are icky, or that we're gay, which is even more icky!

Ohhhhh gross.

Comparing Fallout to your daughter is also pretty. It's illustrative!

(As is the choice of personas that you guys are using for your forum invasion, that's a whole different sociopolitical kettle of fish though.)

Also hilarious: going to another forum and telling people to fuck off.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, where were you guys three months ago when this topic was new? Fallout fans are also not very quick to the punch it would seem.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well… an absence of testicles is the main thing preventing them from going toe-to-toe with their detractors.

you don't really mean this, do you?

do you?
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moral of this thread: fallout fans are frightening and should probably be caged?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moral of this thread: fallout fans are either children or children trapped in men's bodies and should probably grow up a little bit.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Comparing Fallout to your daughter is also pretty. It's illustrative!

I realize too late that this should have read "to your (theoretical) daughtter".

IhopeIhopeIhope.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all know how tragically slow fallout fans are. It's a shame none of them actually bought the games as they were released, or else we'd actually have more games by now. It's just like fans to kill a franchise, even if it was only a 7/10 rated series to begin with.

Brotherhood of Steel was pretty good at least.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve don't provoke them or they won't go away.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're no fun
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want to have to start deleting a bunch of nonsense fanboy troll posts from the other threads okay. I don't really care if they want to come in and talk shit to people as long as they contain it to this thread.
St. Toxic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want you to pretent that you have a teenage daughter; sweet, innocent, your pride and joy.

"-Freeloading skank, go suck dicks for crack or something will ya'?"

Quote:
Now, you just find out that she’s been sucking dick for crack.

:heavy breathing: "- I'll -- fucking -- kill you."

Quote:
Fallout fans are also not very quick to the punch it would seem.

Well, we are a blast from the past.

Quote:
an absence of testicles is the main thing preventing them from going toe-to-toe with their detractors

Well, none of the Beth boys have any real communicative skills, as far as I've noticed. MSFD pretty much :susan:'s the place at best, while Todd and Hines place a handful of illegible sounds between every word they say. Maybe they're just being reschooled for the FALLOUT INTERVIEW OF THE CENTURY?

Quote:
moral of this thread:

Moral et non.

Quote:
Brotherhood of Steel was pretty good at least.

Remember: Personal IQ is a factor in entertainment value.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like defending british comedy now.
St. Toxic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, defend british comedy. But who'll defend Nazi Germany?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you could probably write a decent sociology thesis on the usernames used by Fallout fans to troll other forums.

Well, a paper at least. If you wanted to write a thesis, you might want to include their focus on homoerotic imagery.
St. Toxic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interesting enough. There's alot of hidden symbolism in the dac attempt at humorous alternate accounts, and en all they can be an interesting read even without proper analysis.

Here's something: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15407
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are homoerotic imagery and terms such a standard negative anyway? An ol' Johnson in the ass never hurt anybody.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin

Last edited by Swimmy on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's especially odd considering the relative free-will aspect of Fallout.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so have the fallout folks utilized the power of distributed information networks (i.e. a message board forum) to create their own unofficial sequel?

i would think modifications to existing engines would be possible - or some sort of isometric engine exists somewhere. it would certainly take a few years, but with enough people involved in micromanaging certain elements, it could be done. done well enough manifesto games would certainly carry it. it would take some dancing around the actual properties involved in fallout, but it's probably better than just waiting for an offering from a company that is, by all indications, not to be trusted in their eyes.

Last edited by dhex on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it would take some dancing around the actual properties involved in fallout.

Fallin maybe?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it would take some dancing around the actual properties involved in fallout.

Not too much though. Snatcher is a pretty blatant Blade Runner homage and didn't have any problems. Just so long as you avoided calling it "Fallout" I bet you would get away with it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much would you have to hide references to vaults and the like? it's not like the bomb shelter was invented by interplay, but companies have released a cease and desist on a whole lot less.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen. I think...you underestimate da power. Real force, slamming your fists against a wall! Not only is Fallout a game, but it is actually, my lifestyle. So if you wanna battle me, challenge my lifestyle, my philosophy on both living and dying so be it.

Think you can? Well you thought wrong. Dead wrong. Turns out it's been nearly 10 years since fallout games, ever think of that homeboy? If a team can make the ultimate...experience in life in a year imagine what I can do after 10. Dig it? I've been doing both karate and judo, eating soya protein from the can. Think that's tough? Well it's not, as I do that shit before you even wake up out of bed! I don't need to make the next fallout game, I can go to bethesda officers and just order them to do what I say. J/K! Or...mabye not Twisted Evil

- Ghostface

edit: damn i just got edited by moderators. damn

Last edited by Ghostface Killa on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
how much would you have to hide references to vaults and the like? it's not like the bomb shelter was invented by interplay, but companies have released a cease and desist on a whole lot less.

You'd probably have to be careful about using specific terms; I don't think they'd be able to pull off suing on concepts alone.

Dear Ghostface: When did you decide to drop the 'H'? I loved Supreme Clientele.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the best thing to do then would be to "re-roll" the game's character, as it were, by wiping the slate clean. an unforseen second disaster - not necessarily nuclear, maybe a weird plague of sorts - has befallen the american west, and all that's left is [situation xyz that leaves a reason and a resource for the protagonist to spring from].

this way you can still have mutants and everything, but avoid game specific things like vaults, vault 13, etc. but you could still throw in some knowing winks, like references to canteens and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem with that is that it would involve actual work, instead of comparing liking a videogame to having your daughter raped.
EnslaveThemAll!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I think this sort of fandom is the result of kids who grew up spending too much time on the internet and not enough time outside climbing trees and shooting bb guns and doing stuff with other kids their own age. I mean, that's the only way I can think to explain it. How else would you grow to be so wrapped up in your own little narrow world-view (assuming your world consists of your favorite videogame/webcomic/random piece of preferred meida). How the hell can you define yourself so much by a goddam brand. It's kind of troubling to think about, because one day these people will be old enough to vote/run for office/buy firearms and then where will we be?

Deep, man. Deep.

I'll tell you where we will be, waiting at your doorstep with those guns and nooses, waiting to rape you and your dog and see you swinging from a tree. Over and over. And over. And again.

dhex wrote:
i was a little bothered by the slavery aspects, but the way they're handled feels natural and makes sense. in that kind of world, you are going to have rampant prostitution, exploitation and slavery, of both the mundane and technocratic variety.

This is some sort of inside joke, right? Wait, is this forum officially gay?

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
moral of this thread: fallout fans are either children or children trapped in men's bodies and should probably grow up a little bit.

Look here, apeface, we are nothing like you. Stop searching for similarities.

P.S.
[img]cj_52447.jpg[/img][/quote]
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Well, the problem with that is that it would involve actual work, instead of comparing liking a videogame to having your daughter raped.

If someone made their own game they could include such elements as daughter rape. Show 'em the true apocalypse.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The superior intelligence of the Fallout fan community is fully in display in this thread.

Wait wait wait. They're going to rape us and our dog and we're "gay"? I have a feeling that we're dealing with some horribly confused people here.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, listen, it's easy enough to make fun of fans for being rabid, but i do think this is a serious question so i'm going to roll with it.

you would think with this many people, with this much passion, with this much - dare i say it? - FROTH, you'd be able to form a team and get cracking. or would have, as it has been eight years since fallout 2. these are pc gamers, after all, not a bunch of xbox losers.

that's enough time for a team of 20 people (five core, 15 helpers, voice actors, part time devs, art element givers of stuff, writers, testers, etc etc and so forth, perhaps 1% of the active fallout community, and maybe 10% of the truly rabid, though i'm just guessing here) to build something pretty durn interesting, even on a part-time basis. presuming they're dedicated enough, i mean.

failing a true sequel there are other options - one could do an IF style adventure game, or even a throwback to wasteland, using a simliar old-school engine with new twists. would be a lot easier to do stuff like that than start over from scratch, and there is an awful lot of middleware out there these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so have the fallout folks utilized the power of distributed information networks (i.e. a message board forum) to create their own unofficial sequel?

i would think modifications to existing engines would be possible - or some sort of isometric engine exists somewhere. it would certainly take a few years, but with enough people involved in micromanaging certain elements, it could be done. done well enough manifesto games would certainly carry it. it would take some dancing around the actual properties involved in fallout, but it's probably better than just waiting for an offering from a company that is, by all indications, not to be trusted in their eyes.

fan made fallout
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll tell you where we will be, waiting at your doorstep with those guns and nooses, waiting to rape you and your dog and see you swinging from a tree. Over and over. And over. And again.

so long as the sodomy is violent, it's not homosexual. if i learned anything from the bible and my years as a teen counselor, it's that.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now hold up, if there's already a fan project, wtf? is this really all about juvenile rage? go help out!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynching...or hacking? lol

i dont think you understand the way its been okay 4 games and 2 are shit because they didnt do how it started it seems pretty simple to me. deviate from anything and its dog shit. even oblivion wasnt that good i cant understand how you can like the stupid ai or failed targets it promised okay for me thats not a game its not even a fun game its just dog shit smeared across your face as you just got slapped in the face by the big price tag and consumerism way of thinking let me guess you shop at some mall and wear socks that have prada on them and drink drinks like promiscuous girl or sex on the beach well heads off okay amma drop these knowledge and itll wake you up as youll be sat around in your middle ages and thinkin damn what the hell this planet is fucked and then youll remember this post and think fuck i should have stood up for what i believed in and stuck in in bethesdas eye because they make a dumb game and since everything in life is echoing another i think youll just roll like a dog forever revealing your soft underbelly to all the parasites and vampires wanting to strip the tender meat from your bones and then theyll take that shit as well your morals, the way you act, the way you think, what you say, what you do, in the end it doesnt matter as you got no spine to back up what comes out your mouth, you communicate the utter bullshit and probably sit at home writing how much fallout fans suck when in fact. you were wrong. fallout sucks, so its fans do. but so does life and you love it so much, well you might as well fucken die right now and go to hell and in front of the devil you can beg him to give you another chance and hell laugh at you and cut off your head with a big black sword.
911nevarforget

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, where are the Fallout fans of yesteryear? Almost seems as though you've all been reduced to flotsam on the seas of fate, doomed to forever bob among the proverbial turds of mediocrity. Where is your sense of unity? Pride? Patriotism? One almost begins to suspect that you've forgotten about John Matrix and his tremendous sacrifice. Take off them masks of burning gold and bask in the glory of the Fallout fandom, negroes.

Constantly articulating and ejaculating the most profound observations ("Gosh, CRPGs are too clever for me by far, good thing I've still got my JRPGs B)"), you are no better than a pack of sexual predators. Peregrines, eh. Occasionally swooping down from your soaring aeries of imbecility to prey on whichever dupe happens to pass by. Looks like you've picked a carrot too big for your bum this time around, doh.

What do you see when you look in the mirror? A Last bastion of rationality in a world where imbecility reigns supreme? The last of a dying breed? (Let's hope so) An old dog too stupid to learn new tricks? Figure I'll put my savings on the latter.

But, ach, why defend a center that cannot hold? Even DAC, the last vestige of civilization in an otherwise uncivilized land, is bound to be overrun by the Marxist-feminist horde at one point or another.

1/14 Never forget.

Susan out.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghostface Killa wrote:
i dont think you understand the way its been okay 4 games and 2 are shit because they didnt do how it started it seems pretty simple to me. deviate from anything and its dog shit. even oblivion wasnt that good i cant understand how you can like the stupid ai or failed targets it promised okay for me thats not a game its not even a fun game its just dog shit smeared across your face as you just got slapped in the face by the big price tag and consumerism way of thinking let me guess you shop at some mall and wear socks that have prada on them and drink drinks like promiscuous girl or sex on the beach well heads off okay amma drop these knowledge and itll wake you up as youll be sat around in your middle ages and thinkin damn what the hell this planet is fucked and then youll remember this post and think fuck i should have stood up for what i believed in and stuck in in bethesdas eye because they make a dumb game and since everything in life is echoing another i think youll just roll like a dog forever revealing your soft underbelly to all the parasites and vampires wanting to strip the tender meat from your bones and then theyll take that shit as well your morals, the way you act, the way you think, what you say, what you do, in the end it doesnt matter as you got no spine to back up what comes out your mouth, you communicate the utter bullshit and probably sit at home writing how much fallout fans suck when in fact. you were wrong. fallout sucks, so its fans do. but so does life and you love it so much, well you might as well fucken die right now and go to hell and in front of the devil you can beg him to give you another chance and hell laugh at you and cut off your head with a big black sword.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you guys are genuinely redeeming yourselves here. i don't quite know where you're going with it, but i dig it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hexler, you may have a point about the "stupid for the sake of acting stupid as some kind of internet performance art" theory. It's asking a little much to believe that these people are serious.

Hearing you described as a Marxist-feminist who wears prada socks is a pretty good one though. Oh, who enjoys jRPGs.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is fucking awesome.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary thread status has definitely been achieved.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnslaveThemAll! wrote:
dhex wrote:
i was a little bothered by the slavery aspects, but the way they're handled feels natural and makes sense. in that kind of world, you are going to have rampant prostitution, exploitation and slavery, of both the mundane and technocratic variety.

This is some sort of inside joke, right? Wait, is this forum officially awesome?

You bet it is!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry to muck up the fallout thread, but we're all planning on picking this up tomorrow, right?

You can share clothes wirelessly from DS to DS!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Legendary thread status has definitely been achieved.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Mr. Hexler, you may have a point about the "stupid for the sake of acting stupid as some kind of internet performance art" theory. It's asking a little much to believe that these people are serious.

On the other hand, I just saw a guy using a urinal while eating a Snickers bar. So I don't know anymore.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hearing you described as a Marxist-feminist who wears prada socks is a pretty good one though. Oh, who enjoys jRPGs.

that could totally happen in an alternate universe. i could totally hate my dad, love my socks and teach critical theory at CUNY or something. of course, i'd end up marrying some obtuse mama's girl who thinks seinfeld is funny but such are the hazards of alternative universe lifestyles.

let's do a little bit of fan mathematics (fanrithmatic)

i'm not very good at this so feel free to correct me:

so nine years of bitching and crying = partially started fallout 2 mod

where "fans" = 0 and "the software industry" is any value greater than 0

so fans * the software industry * the internet = these posts

these posts * 108 months = vocal majority of online fallout community

"vocal majority" * "motivation" (a negative integer) = frustration

frustration * google = this thread

in some ways they're better than the bethesda boards, however. i'll give them that.

i am still tremendously disturbed by the implication that people genuinely believe that a successful software company can afford to have fans involved in their real world processes for very long. fans are a scorpion on the back of the squirrel of success...deja vu deja vu deja vu deja vu

also, what the fuck? the suburban warrior on page 3 got dumped for some jailbait with an overbite which got dumped for nothing.

also, there's something wrong with the aave-styled writing mr. killah is using, but i can't quite figure out what it is. i would ask mr. scratch for his input on this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your theory of this being a battle of the lulz may be the correct interpretation.

Also, the key to the inauthentic nature of Mr. Face is the missing 'h'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: