The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gender in games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Gender in games Reply with quote

THIS IS NOT A GIRL GAMER THREAD.

I'm interested, due to what I've been playing and reading about recently, in gender roles/representation and its usage in games beyond the typical Croft-isms.

Rule of Rose appears, to me, to use sexual representation to implicate the player as being a part of the world objectifying and actively degrading the protagonist.

On a very opposite tack, Okami uses a non-human (and not visibly) female protagonist to both obfuscate and subvert traditional gender roles, gaming and otherwise.

I just read dhex's beef with Far Cry in the new issue, and dess' with Lost In Blue on dailyvideogame, but those representations both fall along more traditional, tired (heteronormative) lines. Anything more progressive going on out there?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Silent Hill 3? What about Etenral Darkness? Or Princess Peach? Tiat Young?

I mean, your asking for progressive from a medium that likes to get itself into a rut. They exist, but they aren't the mainstream for either sex.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really gotta work on my farces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

No no, this is even funnier.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tingle game?

Leisure Suite Larry?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also: what about every game where you play as an animal? (i don't know if starfox is sexualized or whatever, having never played it, but it's certainly humanized)

unrelated:
http://www.aldaily.com/bwc.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
(i don't know if starfox is sexualized or whatever, having never played it, but it's certainly humanized)

I think Slippy's supposed to be a girl. I remember reading that somewhere a long time ago.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely machismo in Star Fox.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I totally called this.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Deliberate parody cannot be allowed in a field where unintended self-parody is so widespread.

Heh!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally called this.

true.

however, i did get a lot of positive har har reactions from folks too. i'm just dismayed that anyone could take anything like that seriously, and even if they thought i was serious, not castigate me and cast me from the temple for such absurdity.

then again, we have cultural studies and marxist literary theory, so perhaps the temple needs to be cast out.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave the article my approval.

and i'm still really glad we ran it.

and i still think it's fabulous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
and marxist literary theory.

My Chaucer professor is one of these. He's quite a character, and wears much brighter-colored shoes or socks than anyone else in the building.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
I totally called this.

true.

however, i did get a lot of positive har har reactions from folks too. i'm just dismayed that anyone could take anything like that seriously, and even if they thought i was serious, not castigate me and cast me from the temple for such absurdity.

That's good to know for certain. I was trying to maintain a respectful distance from the whole thing; I was kinda thinking you'd been brainwashed or at least hired by an ARG company or something.

And dhex, Okami strikes me with its use of animal gender because it really does its best at portraying a nominally female character who's half animal, half god, and not at all human. As opposed to the "people in furry suits" environment of Starfox and other anthropomorphized settings, where species really doesn't change a thing because everyone acts exactly like human game characters anyway.

Shapermc wrote:
Like Silent Hill 3? What about Etenral Darkness? Or Princess Peach? Tiat Young?

I mean, your asking for progressive from a medium that likes to get itself into a rut.

I'd like to hear what you're thinking on those, honestly. I haven't played the Silent Hills and I have no idea what Tiat Young is, but the Eternal Darkness girl never struck as much of anything. And Princess Peach never became any more than a charicature for me; I mean, it wasn't even her story!

I'm not asking all videogames to take this into consideration immediately. I'm just asking y'all to share examples of the few places it may exist.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiat young is one of the protagonists of the darius series (the descendent of tiat). i like it a lot when shooters have women protagonists, because the gendering is so subtle. for example, rayforce (which i totally had a dream about half an hour ago. i was being a total taito snob and explaining to someone why the game has four different names).

i wrote in the escapist about how i used to identify very strongly with samus, back when she was just a strong woman whose body we never got to see because of the suit. recently they took away her suit, and under it she's thin and long-haired and femmey. the child inside me feels totally betrayed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but dude, the suit was pretty barbie-figured to begin with. so unless it's also the world's most powerful corset, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Then again, morphball, so I dunno. The long hair does get me though; why would you want ass-length hair when you're wearing a helmet your whole life?

Was Tiat Young's gender utitlized any more than Samus'? I'm not sure I've ever gotten anything feminine out of Samus, which is fine, as the series really seems to be more about the suit more than the person in it, and taken that way it's a good statement on gender equality, especially given the era of its original release.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
but dude, the suit was pretty barbie-figured to begin with.

samus originally looked like this:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't there a head on view of her ingame that was pretty ridiculously slim though?
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, she's always had that huge shoulder/helmet arrangement. I'm also disappointed, I loved the all business Samus.

How do you "utilize" gender, or rather sex, exactly? Just in terms of novel approachs or for subversive/social engineering purposes? In any case it seems like the rubric has been narrowed down to female-masculine (a girl, but also-she's tough!), female-feminine (Princess Peach, I guess?) or female-neuter (Samus, pretty much). I don't have a handle on the relevance of these though. The non-human (wolf, animal, whatever) female thing is pretty neat though because it's like sex without gender; or they're the same thing at least.

(parentheses)
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
How do you "utilize" gender, or rather sex, exactly? Just in terms of novel approachs or for subversive/social engineering purposes? In any case it seems like the rubric has been narrowed down to female-masculine (a girl, but also-she's tough!), female-feminine (Princess Peach, I guess?) or female-neuter (Samus, pretty much). I don't have a handle on the relevance of these though. The non-human (wolf, animal, whatever) female thing is pretty neat though because it's like sex without gender; or they're the same thing at least.

I think you'd "utilize" by using it to add depth to the production, as in Okami and Rule of Rose. I'm not really clear on it myself; I think those are the first two games I've played that have incorporated it to such an extent, and they made me realize it's something I haven't seen before in the medium outside of those three models you just described.

I imagine it may just come down to the tendency of videogame characters to exist entirely within the confines of the plot. Samus never daydreams. She never stops to watch the sunset or write a poem or do her taxes or call her mother.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Hill 2 is a good example of gender in games. James is very masculine in all the wrong ways.

Or what, does gender in games always have to be about the women?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry in Silent Hill 1 is pretty motherly, or so I hear.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
simplicio wrote:
but dude, the suit was pretty barbie-figured to begin with.

samus originally looked like this:

But in less than an hour, she looked like this.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does No One Lives Forever qualify as a Croft-ism?
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cate Archer seems to be a more self-aware character design.

Edit: this may not be true, it's been a long time since I've played a Tomb Raider.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i like it a lot when shooters have women protagonists

I had to double-check it in the manual, but Kagari, the pilot of the second-player ship in Ikaruga, is a girl. Interestingly, there are no gender pronouns until 2/3 of the way down the paragraph about her. Dess, I find this kind of thing compelling, too.

More specifically to Ikaruga, I think it works very well with the theme of duality that is the game's obsession.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I had to double-check it in the manual, but Kagari, the pilot of the second-player ship in Ikaruga, is a girl.

yup.

(she was an assassin dispatched to kill shinra, the pilot of the first-player ship, who ended up joining forces with him instead.)

a lot of compile shooters (including the guardian legend!) have women protagonists. my favorite example (of course) is the protagonist of rayforce, whose mission is to destroy the planet earth. the great thing is that their gender is rarely, if at all, mentioned. the protagonist of rayforce appears once, briefly, in the game's attract mode and once, briefly, after the final stage is completed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

I think you'd "utilize" by using it to add depth to the production, as in Okami and Rule of Rose. I'm not really clear on it myself; I think those are the first two games I've played that have incorporated it to such an extent, and they made me realize it's something I haven't seen before in the medium outside of those three models you just described.

'Interactive fiction' often messes around with gender/sex, and plays on your assumptions about your character. But then at the end you find out that you are a woman.

Or how about making a game version of "She's the Man" or the original Shakespeare play it is based on? Where you would have to play a character playing the other sex? And pretend to a guy or a girl. Or how about making Priscilla Queen of the Desert as a graphic adventure?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a Trauma Center sequel based on the Hedwig and the Angry Inch universe!
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
But in less than an hour, she looked like this.

And let's not forget the JUSTIN BAILEY code, which yeilded this playable character.

The thing about Samus she's a rough-and-tumble action hero, but not an oversexed bimbo like, say Lara Croft. All you see during the game is the robot-looking suit that could contain either a male or female--sure, there are the different endings depending on how fast you complete the game that show her sans-bulked-up powersuit, but you don't spend the majority of the game looking at that particular character. Or to put it another way, the whole concept of Samus as female and "OMG BOOBS!" isn't something the designers wanted to emphasize in the typical pubescent fashion, which in my opinion is laudable.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
'Interactive fiction' often messes around with gender/sex, and plays on your assumptions about your character. But then at the end you find out that you are a woman.

a lot of straight men were angered by the romance between the protagonist and antagonist of graham nelson's jigsaw (which is implied throughout the story but definitely substantiated by the ending), since the protagonist is never assigned a gender. however, through clever sentence construction, neither is the antagonist!

however, some have argued that because the game takes place mostly in historical periods where men would have greater mobility and access than women, both characters would logistically have to be male.

priscilla is still a better drag queen movie than to wong fu.

i want a videogame based on the animated sequences from hedwig.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i wrote in the escapist about how i used to identify very strongly with samus, back when she was just a strong woman whose body we never got to see because of the suit. recently they took away her suit, and under it she's thin and long-haired and femmey. the child inside me feels totally betrayed.

This happen to me, but in the fact that now she has a back story. A pretty bad one at that. I loved the ambiguity of the Metroid back story, then fucking nintendo comes along and fills in all the gaps. Bitches!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
priscilla is still a better drag queen movie than to wong fu.

i want a videogame based on the animated sequences from hedwig.

I've only seen Priscilla once, years ago on VH1, but I can't watch The Matrix with a straight face.

And OH GOD YES.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha yes

a cock in a frock on a rock!

(which has nothing to do with that actor but is still funny!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post about the guardian legend! one of my favorite games.

sort of realated, but didn't syphon filter have a lesbian main character? I can only imagine it being treated tragically awful. Come to think of it, have there been any good GLBT representations in videogames?
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not that I can think of. Then again, I'm not sure I can think of any, barring Ultima 7's brothel. Well, that was handled pretty well, so +1!

What's the guardian legend?
Six

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
sort of realated, but didn't syphon filter have a lesbian main character? I can only imagine it being treated tragically awful.
Are you maybe thinking of Fear Effect? It was done pretty miserably, though, yeah.
a_plus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six, yeah, that's the one.

simplico, ultima 7's thing was.. well. It wasn't so much a brothel as a single character. No matter what gender you pick in the beginning of the game, she will seduce you. It felt like the game assumed you were going to choose a male character and have hetero sex, but if you pick a female character, oops! Same storyline, and it turns out homosexual.
And the Guardian Legend!!! It's a game by compile (who did the puyo puyo games) that's half overhead vertical shooter and half overworld crystalis-y type game, with experience levels and upgraded weapons, and the protagonist happens to be female (or at least a female-assigned robot of some sort). More in-depth here and here. I fell in love with it the first time i saw its maps in an early Nintendo Power. Yuzo Koshiro music, too!
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is my memory failing? I seem to remember hookers of both genders being available, but I played it nearly ten years ago now. Am I thinking of a different game entirely?
a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any prostitution in either half of Ultima 7! Maybe you're thinking of Fallout?
Six

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just tried Guardian Legend. How come I've never heard of this before?

It reminds me a bit of Sigma Star Saga, except twenty years earlier and it doesn't suck.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first experience in fallout 2 (after going through the incredibly shitty intro dungeon) was to spend a night at a brothel. the dungeon totally turned me off to the game (though i hear it gets much better) and this lady charged the total amount of money i had on me. so i spent it. i was surprised not only that i could go through with it (wasteland's prostitute "doesn't do girls") and also at how well it was treated (wasteland's prostitute gives you radiation cancer).

fear effect 2 is awful. i bought a cheap used copy because i wanted to see how a woman-woman relationship was treated (i joked with mr. mechanical that the old advertising campaign for the game was "buy this game women smooch in it!" and that's basically why i bought it). i only got one disc and it was so scratched that it eventually stopped working. the game was practically unplayable anyway, and i can't imagine mucking through all that just to get to scenes where we can see the relationship develop.

let's talk about how the ultima series gradually takes control of your character away from you as it goes on. exodus actually gives you four gender options for each character (male, female, other or none if i remember?). once you become the avatar, you pick between male and female, but the game never assigns you a face or a voice, and there's that whole big quiz at the beginning to determine your personality. in ultima 6 you have to pick a face, but there's a lot to chose from, in different colors and genders. ultima 8 (pagan) insists that you must be male, but doesn't assign you a face. and in ultima 9, the last episode, you have to be that white, blonde nordic dude from the cover of warriors of destiny. some avatar!

the guardian legend is the hotness.

in conclusion, invader is the most queer-friendly game ever designed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

in conclusion, invader is the most queer-friendly game ever designed.

shoots in both directions and sometimes in a third as well?
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuter or undefined gender protagonists are great.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
let's talk about how the ultima series gradually takes control of your character away from you as it goes on.

it took a lot of stuff away on its descent to hell. i think the portrait issues raised were a warning sign, though.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Neuter or undefined gender protagonists are great.

Male or female, I like my protagonists with all their naughty bits in tact.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like my protagonists with all their naughty bits in tact.

That doesn't come up very often, unfortunately. For clarification I mean literally neuter, like robots and things.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere, there has to be a game indulging in revenge fantasies and ostensibly classic drames about castration.

If there isn't, there should be.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Somewhere, there has to be a game indulging in revenge fantasies and ostensibly classic drames about castration.

If there isn't, there should be.

that's it, i'm making hothead paisan: the game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Super Columbine Massacre RPG! is the first punk game, would a Hothead Paisan one be, like, the first GLBT indie punk in-your-face one?

Because that would be awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: