The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Play Magazine Best-of Platformers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Play Magazine Best-of Platformers Reply with quote

So, I picked up Play magazine (which is currently the top of the crop) and ran into this little section about platforming games. It breaks them up into Top 25 3D and 2D, as well as top Ten eight bit. The list is as follows:

Top 25 3D wrote:
1: Psychonauts
2: Super Mario 64 and Sunshine
3: Banjo Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie
4: Crash Bandicoot
5: Ratchet & Clank, R&C Going Commando and UYA
6: Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and vs. Army of Zin
7: Jak and Daxter
8: Blinx and Blinx 2
9: Sly Cooper (all three)
10: Jet Set Radio Future
11: Rayman 2
12: Voodoo Vince
13: Kameo
14: Conker Live and Reloaded
15: BUG
16: Wario World
17: Tork
18: Legend of Kay
19: Fur Fighters
20: The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
21: Billy Hatcher
22: Midieval
23: Prence of Persia (SNES) and The Sands of Time
24: Jumping Flash
25: Wild 9

This list has taught me two things. I don't really like 3D platformers if these are the cream of the crop, and I really-really need to get Psoychonauts. Also, what the shit is up with JSRF but no JSR (which is the obvious better of the two by a landslide). It seems like the games in a series have a better chance of tipping the scale of good vs bad just by sheer numbers.

Top 25 2D wrote:
1: Super Mario Worls and SMW2
2: Super Castlevania IV, Bloodlines and SOTN
3: Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
4: Viewtiful Joe 1&2
5: Gunstar Heroes
6: Earthworm Jim
7: Astal
8: Sonic the Hedgehog & Import Sonic CD
9: Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3
10: Clockwork Knight 1&2
11: Mischief Makers
12: Dynamite Headdy
13: Silhouette Mirage
14: Magicians Lord
15: Super Star Wars
16: WonderDog
17: Rayman
18: Act Raiser
19: Wonder Boy in Monster World & Monster World IV
20: Skullmonkeys
21: Flink CD
22: Strider 1&2
23: Revenge of Shinobi
24: Bonk's Adventure
25: Mickey Mania

Ok, number 2 is such a cop out it hurts. If games warrent a placement in this list they don't need to be wrapped into one. If anything SOTN should have been on its own if anything. And at first I thought that this list just didn't include imports (hence the lack of Chi no Rondo) but then low and behold Import Sonic CD (for the soundrack I assume) is listed.

This list suffers heavily from "rosy colored glasses syndrome" and "can't let go of the past treasure fan syndrome." It also manages to come out of left field on a couple of instances (Flink CD and WonderDog?). The RCGS can be easily seen with the inclusion of Bonk's Adventure, which was made infinatly more playable and fun with the recent Hudson Classic PC Genjin release of the title for the PS2/GC. Also, DKC (any) didn't age nearly as well as most people think they do, in fact, most are total shit. Earthworm Jim is another that at one point I thought was great, but going back to re-visit taught me that it is no where near as compitent as I once thought it was. The CLGOTPTFS is summed up with Gunstar Heroes. GSH tightened up every loose end that GH had and made the game much better of a single player experience. I thought for a while that I still like GH better than GSH until I went back and re-played GH and found it just a bit too sloppy. At worst, both should have been included in this list.

Oh, and Magician Lord is pretty crap. It is too difficlut and the contols are way too precise (no room for even the slightest error of timing). God help me, I love the Neo, but some things just didn't age well at all, and ML is one of them.

Top 10 8-bit wrote:
1: Ghosts 'n Goblins
2: Kid Icarus
3: Super Mario Bros. 1,2, &3
4: Wizards and Warriors
5: Batman and Batman Return of Joker
6: Battle Toads
7: Bionic Commando (aka Hitler Returns in Japan)
8: Ninja Gaiden
9: Megaman 1&2
10: Rygar

While I don't have too many problems with this list, I am more upset that these werent in kicking the ass of the rest of the Top 25 2D list. Also, no offence to the game, but seriously: Ghosts'n Goblins is damn near impossible. I think the best I ever did was the 5th level. This list is chock full of damn near impossible games. But it is nice to see Kid Icarus so high up.

So! We all know these lists "suck" and are "never accurate," we might as well complain about them. These lists actually stuck out as ballsy, but also it may be ballsy just to be "different," I can't tell.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"

Last edited by Shapermc on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: if you are getting a forbidden error that means you are talking about Psychonauts. For what ever reason our forum hates this game and you need to write it like this:

Code:
ps[i][/i]ychonauts

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that there's any point to discussing top-XX lists, but super mario world in the number 1 position invalidates these lists automatically.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the case could be made that JSRF is more platform-y than JGR.

Questionable 2D picks: Astal and Act Raiser? Did the Play editors just read about these in other magazines or what?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, isn't faithless a play editor?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Play magazine (which is currently the top of the crop)
dessgeega wrote:
wait, isn't faithless a play editor?

Yes! The assistant edtior.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, in that case this list is the best ever.

inspired choices! A++
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is just a Halverson list. It looks like his doing.

I can usually appreciate his tastes, but they're nowhere near what anyone could call definitive. Tork is an average game and its existance on this list (along with several others) does more to show how little progress has been made in the 3D platformer genre than it does about the game itself. If anything, this list proves that it's a rare occurrance that anyone does anything truly outstanding within the genre, and it needs to either die or someone needs to start trying harder.

Also: Actraiser and Mario World are both fucking awesome.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario World was a clumsy, ugly thing, and doesn't hold a candle to Yoshi's Island, let alone Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey--these lists aren't end-all be-alls; their exact purpose is to stir debates like this.

Anyhoo.

I think the 3D list is pretty solid. It's got some 'hrms?' in there, but it's Top 25, not Top 5, so, there's latitude.

I can't just disregard their decisions so easily. Crash Bandicoot, 4? I am very disdainful of that, but then again--surely there is a reason. Maybe it has a historical importance that I was unaware of? Maybe it brought platforming to a mainstream (which doesn't entirely make sense because platforming was one of the earliest, if not only original genres of gaming. then again--the image, along with the image of the playstation may be a viable argument). Not that the game wasn't fun; on the contrary, I enjoyed it when playing at my neighbor's when I was younger. Maybe it's my hazy, abused memory, but I don't remember it standing out all that much. Then again, I was a rabid Nintendo fanboy back in the day.

BK & BT are much deserved on there. I absolutely adore the series and have many fond memories. They took what Mario 64 (kind of) pioneered and refined it to the umpteenth degree, all with that magical but not overly sugar-coated layer of silliness.

I also questioned the lack of JSR at first, too, but then, I've never thought of JSR/F as a platfomer (never thought of it as much of anything, really--cel-shaded graffiti sim? haha). I think JSRF must just be more platformy.

Was Spyro that good? Never played it. Or rather, fleetingly. Same with Billy Hatcher--rented it and played it for like, two seconds (although it looks nice enough).

I also don't mind the lumping of series--it's just unfair to let 3 games from the same series dominate the list. They also would only lump them if they considered all of them to be outstanding and a solid representation of the quality that series brings. That being said, it's appropriate, although maybe SOTN should've been written first there, just as a subtle promotion of its 'score..'

One thing I will say, though, is how generic modern platformers have gotten thanks to the "Jak and Daxter" standard to the point where it just feels pointless playing them.

Although, I haven't played a lick of Ratchet and Clank, and supposedly it's pretty slick. Sly Cooper's got a rad style, too, although I've only played the first.

Oh yeah, and Psychonauts--never beat (ashamedly). I played the first few "worlds," but I my impression is that it belongs there on top. Tim Schafer is god. But I kept thinking how clunky it looked with the ps2's hardware chugging along, struggling to render these things. Either it should have been stylistically cel-shaded (not with obnoxious black lines), or put on a better system (although I haven't played the PC one, that should theoretically work better).

(edit: ahh i was wondering what that post had meant. what's up with that?)

Last edited by Lockeownzj00 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the subject of mario, where are super mario land and how about super mario bros.? doki doki panic would have been a good choice too.

toejam & earl 2 doesn't get enough respect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of problems with these lists. The most glaring error is psychonauts at the top of the 3-D list. I am playing this game right now, and it's really tiresome. I have put in three hours and haven't done anything yet except listen to way too much (though mostly snappy) dialogue and been forced to collect to many things so that I can 'learn' to do too many things that I have to equip and unequip and all of which adds up to way too many buttons. It's really frustrating! So far, the game's incredible art style and character design are the only things keeping me playing.

Also, grouping SM 1, 2, & 3 in the 8-bits and SMW & Yoshi's Island in the '2-d' lists is unforgivable. These games just aren't at all like each other.

I really shouldn't get involved in this discussion. I'm glad I said my peace about psychonauts (which I am trying very hard to enjoy!), but I feel like this kind of "name everything remotely worthy so that no one gets too offended" is the equivalent of public polling on a slow news day. Shaper, did the guy write anything to go along with the lists? That could make them somewhat worthwhile.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NES Ghosts 'n Goblins at the top of the 8-bit list? What the fuck?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Bros. 3 gets a mention on the 8-bit list but not on the over top 25 2D list? What the hell mate, etc.

Uh, anyways, yeah. List threads are kind of boring.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-D list lacks the Ninja 5-O.

Failure.
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Super Mario World was a clumsy, ugly thing, and doesn't hold a candle to Yoshi's Island, let alone Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

I've always thought the opposite. Super Mario World provided more great Mario gameplay, without straying too far from the source material of Mario 3, while Yoshi's island barely felt like a Mario game at all. It might have been a decent enough platformer, but it was more of a spinoff than the next proper installment in the Mario series.

helicopterp wrote:
I have a number of problems with these lists. The most glaring error is psychonauts at the top of the 3-D list. I am playing this game right now, and it's really tiresome. I have put in three hours and haven't done anything yet except listen to way too much (though mostly snappy) dialogue and been forced to collect to many things so that I can 'learn' to do too many things that I have to equip and unequip and all of which adds up to way too many buttons. It's really frustrating! So far, the game's incredible art style and character design are the only things keeping me playing.

Also, grouping SM 1, 2, & 3 in the 8-bits and SMW & Yoshi's Island in the '2-d' lists is unforgivable. These games just aren't at all like each other.

I really shouldn't get involved in this discussion. I'm glad I said my peace about psychonauts (which I am trying very hard to enjoy!), but I feel like this kind of "name everything remotely worthy so that no one gets too offended" is the equivalent of public polling on a slow news day. Shaper, did the guy write anything to go along with the lists? That could make them somewhat worthwhile.

I agree with you about Psychonauts. I never played the full game, but I tried the PC demo when it was first released, and wasn't very impressed. It just felt like your typical console-style 3D platformer, and relied mostly on cut scenes and graphics to disguise its run of the mill gameplay.

As for these lists, they're terrible. : P

It's as though someone wanted to make a list of their favorite games over the years, and then merged in a bunch of other popular series to fill things out. I somehow doubt that the list's creator even played half of them. Sequels just can't be grouped together, especially when they're nothing alike. Likewise, how do Megaman 1 and 2 make the 8 bit list, while the subsequent NES Megaman titles don't? And where's Doukutsu Monogatari?! I love that game, so its exclusion voids the whole list. : )
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also: Actraiser and some other game are both fucking awesome.
But it's not really a platformer! The platforming is the weakest part of the game.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryoburner wrote:
Yoshi's island barely felt like a Mario game at all.

Which is why it's good.

Also, Castlevania IV is just as clumsy and ugly, and bundling it with Bloodlines of SotN is lazy, practically demagogic, and uninspired.

There is so much wrong and derivative with these lists, I'm not even sure why we're even talking about them. It's just name-dropping flattery. It's tame and pretentious when literary wannabes do it, and it's even more pathetic here.

From a gaming magazine? Unthinkable. Edge might very well be the only one worth the paper it's printed on.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record there is no explination for anything really (except what makes a platformer: which was basically summed up with "if the primary mechanic of the game involved jumping" or something just as simple) All three lists pluse a bit about the definition of platformer all fit on one page.
helicopterp wrote:
The most glaring error is psychonauts at the top of the 3-D list. I am playing this game right now, and it's really tiresome. I have put in three hours and haven't done anything yet except listen to way too much (though mostly snappy) dialogue and been forced to collect to many things so that I can 'learn' to do too many things that I have to equip and unequip and all of which adds up to way too many buttons. It's really frustrating! So far, the game's incredible art style and character design are the only things keeping me playing.

So it plays just like Mario 64 but with better writing/graphics? That seems to be why it got put one rung higher on the list.

Seriously, Mario 64 is not that much fun all these years later. The genera of 3D platforming is boring and needs something done with it.
Dracko wrote:
Also, Castlevania IV is just as clumsy and ugly, and bundling it with Bloodlines of SotN is lazy, practically demagogic, and uninspired.

I owe you a beer!

J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it astonishing that Blinx (which seems to be widely regarded as a solid but decidedly average platformer) is up there ahead of some real classics like Jet Set, Prince of Persia, etc. And Bonk's Adventure doesn't belong anywhere near this list (Revenge or Big Adventure, certainly, but not Adventure). Legendary Axe 1/2 should at least get a tip of the hat before some of these games, but don't. No Adventure Island? At least Wonder Boy gets on the list.

But what hurts the most, honestly, is that Impossimole is no where to be seen.

===

Happy slander corner:

P-Nauts was on a better console: Xbox.
Rayman 2 > Mario64.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never considered JSRF a platformer. To me, that would be like calling Deus Ex a first-person-shooter.

I actually went back and tried to beat Earthworm Jim this weekend. I got stuck on the first level and stopped playing in favor of Outrun, which I came across in the local Mom and Pop game store this weekend and bought out of impulse.

Also, how did Bug! make that list, especially in front of Prince of Persia? Shame.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, wait, no one has argued Kameo yet. I have pretty much ignored the game based on some small tidbits of comments I have heard, but it is pretty damn cheap now and I have always been a little curious about it.

J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, wait, no one has argued Kameo yet. I have pretty much ignored the game based on some small tidbits of comments I have heard, but it is pretty damn cheap now and I have always been a little curious about it.
It's a good game. To question it you would probably have to question Banjo Kazooie though.

I think people take it as an assumption that BK is a platformer becuase of it's similarities to Mario64, but you might have noticed that it is a bit more RPG (as each successive Mario game has been increasingly an ARPG instead of a platformer).

Kameo is even further down that evolutionary path. It would be hard to argue that it is anything but an ARPG at this point. It has platforming, but it's an RPG. I think that it probably would have sold more units if they had explained that properly in the advertising. Also, as a game, it has a very different control scheme than what people would expect (using the analog shoulder keys instead of buttons), so if you pick up the demo, you don't really have time to get comfortable with that scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I suppose the case could be made that JSRF is more platform-y than JGR.

Oh yeah. I think JSRF is MUCH platformery than JGR. But it's also more of a race game in some parts and less of a rhythm game. It's like a big fun game of tag.

dark steve wrote:
Questionable 2D picks: Astal and Act Raiser? Did the Play editors just read about these in other magazines or what?

I think these are both quite strong, especially the often neglected Astal. And I always thought Actraiser was just a platformer with some other stuff tacked on.

Also, Silhouette Mirage! Aside from being a little too complex control-wise, this is often the first Treasure game to get axed from peoples' lists when it's suspected they're being a little too Treasure fanboy-ish. That said I'm glad it made the list.

Check plus Play Magazine! Check plus 2-D platformer list!

EDIT: Hey, I almost forgot Jumping Flash!! Another forgotten masterpiece.

Last edited by friedchicken on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Kameo can wear out its welcome fairly quickly, unless it's been a while since you've played an average game, then you might find it pretty exciting. The powers are simple enough to grasp quickly, but the levels and puzzles are pretty rudimentary; that doesn't stop from the hit detection making some puzzles and spots a pain to navigate, though. I did enjoy the point to power allocation for all of the elements, and the creatures were pretty cute. It wouldn't be bad for about $15.

That list is a nice example of why I dislike that magazine. I last checked it out last year, and everything was still super awesome because hyper enthusiasm skewed perception by making everything 'not that big of a deal' because it is, you know, a game.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Hey, I almost forgot Jumping Flash!! Another forgotten masterpiece.

That game doesn't get talked about enough. It's impressive to me that a first-person platformer would work, but it's rewarding really. It really tosses scale into your face when you jump around.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Kameo can wear out its welcome fairly quickly, unless it's been a while since you've played an average game, then you might find it pretty exciting.
I brickwalled on the demo, then I bought it anyway when the price went down to $30 (less used). Then I brickwalled again in the same spot (I had a lot of trouble completing the first area, which is the same one that is in the demo).

Then I came back again a month or so later, and managed to get through that, and the entire game really opened up at that point. I don't particularly understand why Rare chose to make that first area such a pain in the ass. You get some hints on what to do, but the real tutorials don't come until AFTER you've gotten through that area. It's too much too early.

Then, contrariwise, after that first area, you'll be wandering around and you'll see things that just scream out for major ruin or something, and you're frustrated that you don't have access to that character yet.

And that last area is a real sumbitch.

So, my complaint isn't so much about the game mechanics as it is with the kind of directorial decisions that were made regarding pacing. Early on, you have no idea what you're doing, later you're frustrated that you can't do the things you were forced to learn on your own, then when you finally have those capabilities and knowledge, you're faced with a nearly impossible ordeal and then the game is immediately over, particularly if you've gone out of your way to find all the upgrade points before finishing (which is basically necessary since you'll get your ass handed to you otherwise unless you're a lot better player than me).

Setting all that aside though, you've got co-op (another annoyance, you have to earn the co-op stages by passing them in single player mode first), online co-op (with a free update), and it may be the only ARPG on the 360 so far (depending on how you view Oblivion, which is perhaps still too explicit in it's leveling to be considered an ARPG, and is almost definitely too open ended).

Flawed? Yep. Good? Depends on what you're willing to put into it, I guess. I think it's good to very good, but it's definitely not mass market, and they seem to have screwed up everything in pretty much the same way (basically putting this kiddie face on a T rated game that's going to be way too hard for most kids, marketing it in no clear way, making a demo that's not terribly informative about the game...on and on).

The thing is though, with the level of enjoyment that I have gotten from this game, I wonder if PDZ is the same way, because so far, my attempts to enjoy PDZ have resulted in frustration and failure.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:

Tim Schafer is aware of your concern and promises he won't do it again! It was a huge mistake to start off so slowly. In the meantime, it sounds like you're right at the point where it gets awesome, so don't give up on it just yet.
Cryoburner wrote:
I agree with you about Psychonauts. I never played the full game, but I tried the PC demo when it was first released, and wasn't very impressed. It just felt like your typical console-style 3D platformer, and relied mostly on cut scenes and graphics to disguise its run of the mill gameplay.

Once you get into the meat of it, it actually relies much more on intelligent, well-integrated puzzles that actually put across what the game is trying to say instead of being obstacles that the player must overcome in order to be rewarded with the story.

Yes, people other than Fumito Ueda can do that!
simplicio wrote:
2-D list lacks the Ninja 5-O.

Failure.

Truer words were never spoken!

Re: Earthworm Jim, I've played through it so many times (on a keyboard, even!) that its faults are entirely invisible to me even now. I can't get into Earthworm Jim 2 at all, though.

The original Crash Bandicoot is completely unplayable, thanks to its miserable, hateful save system. The next two aren't bad, as far as 3D platformers go. My wife likes 'em, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
The most glaring error is psychonauts at the top of the 3-D list. I am playing this game right now, and it's really tiresome. I have put in three hours and haven't done anything yet except listen to way too much (though mostly snappy) dialogue and been forced to collect too many things so that I can 'learn' to do too many things that I have to equip and unequip and all of which adds up to way too many buttons. It's really frustrating! So far, the game's incredible art style and character design are the only things keeping me playing.

So it plays just like Mario 64 but with better writing/graphics? That seems to be why it got put one rung higher on the list.

As a matter of fact, none of the complaints I listed about psychonauts would be valid for Super Mario 64. You never listen to (and barely read) any dialogue in Super Mario 64. You start the game able to perform virtually every move you need in the game (the three caps being the only exceptions, although it would be difficult to classify them as 'moves' at all) without having to spend any time 'learning' anything from anyone. On top of that, you don't have to manage any ridiculous inventory of your abilities, equipping them like some Leon Kennedy wannabe. The button scheme is set from the beginning, and much tighter, too. (It's probably relevant to note that I am playing the PS2 version of psychonauts. I am not sure how this differs from the Xbox version.) Mario in SM64 interacts in a huge number of ways with his environment with about six (I am just guesstimating that number) fewer buttons mapped for action. The only resemblance my psychomplaint bears to SM64 is the word 'collecting,' but then only in passing. The difference (and it makes a huge one) between the two is that in psychonauts you have collect things to gain permission from people to be able to do cool stuff, whereas in SM64 the collecting exists only for itself and oftentimes doing so, I would argue, is the cool stuff.

Bottom line: Psychonauts plays nothing like Super Mario 64, but still has better writing and graphics. Although, I personally would argue that SM64's positively bare-bones overarching plot is a point in its favor.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm only 3 and a half hours into psychonauts, that I can only borrow my roommate's PS2 once every few days, and that I would much rather be playing Rez and Ico. So maybe my tune will change soon.

Shapermc wrote:
Seriously, Mario 64 is not that much fun all these years later.

Now you're just being silly.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Seriously, Mario 64 is not that much fun all these years later.

Now you're just being silly.

Not at all. I won't deny that I beat the game into the dirt when I first got it, and one of the very few games I have gotten 100% on. Going back to it on the DS was no fun so I thought that I would pull out the original and just got bored. This could just be a symptom of "seen it all" and nothing else.

Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Bottom line: Psychonauts plays nothing like Super Mario 64, but still has better writing and graphics. Although, I personally would argue that SM64's positively bare-bones overarching plot is a point in its favor.

I agree. But I think that Psychonauts has gotten a few political brownie points. Play and Halverson have been big Psychonauts supporters, and the game is still in trouble. I think that calling it "Play's #1 3-D Platformer!" is going to be more of an asset in the backward-compatibility battle than #2.

Other notes:
A game as difficult as GnG shouldn't be #1. That said, I did manage to beat the first iteration of the game. Once.

I would have liked to have seen Rocket: Robot on Wheels, but Halverson's taste in mediocre platformers skews heavily Xboxwards. It did have some fun physics-based puzzles, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
That said, I did manage to beat the first iteration of the game. Once.

I did too, with a game genie.

Faithless

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all submitted for that list, but it's very much up to Dave how things run in the end. But all the editors sent in favs, and I think the list was compiled from that, with Dave's choices counting as two votes. Maybe.

My beloved Sonic is so far down the list.

The next list is going to be a little bit more controversial, I think.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the next list supposed to be about?

From what little I've read of Dave Halverson's material, he seems to specialise in frivolous and ultimately meaningless hyperbole, which laughably leaves him lost for words when a truly great, hell, good game comes along.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that frustrates me about threads like these is that we're all talking about how the list is bullshit and how we can't believe he put such and such game higher than others when, in reality, this is what lists should be like. If he put up a list of the games that people are supposed to like it really wouldn't be worth reading, would it? Instead he made a list of the games that he personally likes without taking popular opinion into consideration (and if Fathless is to be believed, barely taking staff opinion into consideration).

Isn't this what reviews/lists are supposed to be? Shouldn't they reflect what the writer took away from these games rather than how well they meet a list of checkboxes that supposedly define what a good game is? If Halverson finds that difficulty is what makes games compelling for him, shouldn't it be ok for him to put Ghosts and Goblins at the top of the 2D platformer list? Isn't this a step in the right direction for openly honest, subjective gaming journalism?

Now that I've said all of that I'm going to go ahead and throw another beef out there, and this is one that I honestly want Faithless to ask Halverson: Where's Hermie Hopperhead?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Isn't this what reviews/lists are supposed to be? Shouldn't they reflect what the writer took away from these games rather than how well they meet a list of checkboxes that supposedly define what a good game is?

i'm pretty sure he didn't play half of these games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Isn't this what reviews/lists are supposed to be? Shouldn't they reflect what the writer took away from these games rather than how well they meet a list of checkboxes that supposedly define what a good game is?

Maybe he actually played the cartridges and CDs when they were released instead of emulating them years later, playing them for a few minutes back to back with several other games in the same genre and making split decisions about which is better or worse?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible. Doesn't stop him from having poor judgement and taste, or half-assing the entire thing.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a waste of time to prattle on about the futility of the list. Isn't that implicit in making one? Thanks for your brilliant philosophical insight on lists, man! I would've been trapped in that brainwashed mindset that made me think I was actually having a discussion about videogames!

It's to spur discussion. End of story.

Can the rest of the thread just be basking in the pleasant rays of nostalgia for Banjo-Kazooie?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The thing that frustrates me about threads like these is that we're all talking about how the list is bullshit and how we can't believe he put such and such game higher than others when, in reality, this is what lists should be like. If he put up a list of the games that people are supposed to like it really wouldn't be worth reading, would it? Instead he made a list of the games that he personally likes without taking popular opinion into consideration (and if Fathless is to be believed, barely taking staff opinion into consideration).

Isn't this what reviews/lists are supposed to be? Shouldn't they reflect what the writer took away from these games rather than how well they meet a list of checkboxes that supposedly define what a good game is? If Halverson finds that difficulty is what makes games compelling for him, shouldn't it be ok for him to put Ghosts and Goblins at the top of the 2D platformer list? Isn't this a step in the right direction for openly honest, subjective gaming journalism?

From my first post:
Shapermc wrote:
So! We all know these lists "suck" and are "never accurate," we might as well complain about them. These lists actually stuck out as ballsy, but also it may be ballsy just to be "different," I can't tell.

I think it is good that the list is not your average list. It's ballsy. I am just hoping that the list wasn't put together to be ballsy and not actually be true. I know that many standard "best-of" lists have things that are on there just "because" or that they "should be" with no good reason.

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballsy how? This looks pretty standard and predictable. Wavering, even.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballsy top 5 list of best platformers ever:

1. tempest
2. computer space
3. mario is missing
4. conrad's "heart of darkness"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting...I donno, Blinx on there could be considered ballsy.

Then again...what's also important to remember about 'lists' for art in general is that it's not always about the ridiculously high level of quality; indeed in 10001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (interesting little book, starts with beginning of cinema all the way up to 2004/5 I think), many of the movies like Battleship Potemkin aren't fantastically woven masterpiece, but were historically significant--in Potemkin's case, because of the cinematography.

So, that being said, are there any on there, which from that light, may have merit? I already offered Crash, but I know nothing about it.
Faithless

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

You haven't seen his office. He's got a Holosseum by his desk. The guy really plays a lot of video games, and loves nearly all of them. Talking to him about games is a very charming dialogue that goes something like this ...

"Have you ever played _____?"

"Um, no."

"IT'S THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!"

"Oh."

Halverson is really, sweetly enamoured with all things gaming.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ideal candidate for video game reviewing and criticism, then.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On the 3D list...? What? Also, why the SNES version?

Anyway, these are only really interesting if they have rationales.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
many of the movies like Battleship Potemkin aren't fantastically woven masterpiece, but were historically significant--in Potemkin's case, because of the cinematography.

Is that what you say or what the guy who wrote the book says? Whoever says it is wrong. Not quite Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera, but completely mindblowing in its own right. And that is before you factor in however historically significant its cinematography is. Anyway, you're going to have to find another example, which should be fairly easy since there are 1,001 entries.

dessgeega wrote:
ballsy top 5 list of best platformers ever:

1. tempest
2. computer space
3. mario is missing
4. conrad's "heart of darkness"

Five days into September and we already have the post of the month!

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Can the rest of the thread just be basking in the pleasant rays of nostalgia for Banjo-Kazooie?

I'm sorry...why?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not quite Dziga Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera, but completely mindblowing in its own right. And that is before you factor in however historically significant its cinematography is. Anyway, you're going to have to find another example, which should be fairly easy since their are 1,001 entries.

Well, Movie Camera was infinitely more experimental. I could not believe what I was seeing was made in 1929. Really ahead of its time. Also fun to read the signs in the background.

Seeing as how Potemkin is ultimately a piece of propaganda, I'm going to say it's not the narrative. The cinematography was an early example of an attempt to elicit emotion in the viewers via montage and violence. So it is historically important and great fun to watch, but it is not...let's say, Papa.

Quote:
I'm sorry...why?

Because the game is so glorious and this way we may live in harmony.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I would have liked to have seen Rocket: Robot on Wheels, but Halverson's taste in mediocre platformers skews heavily Xboxwards. It did have some fun physics-based puzzles, though.
I liked that game. It was fun.
SuperWes wrote:
The thing that frustrates me about threads like these is that we're all talking about how the list is bullshit and how we can't believe he put such and such game higher than others when, in reality, this is what lists should be like.

-Wes
It does, it is, and you're missing the entire point (well, you're not, but you're pretending to so that you can engage in meta discussion about whether the discussion should be taking place). The point of the list is not to make THE LIST. The point of putting the list out there is to have other people look at the list, decide whether they agree with the list, and discuss what they think should be on the list that isn't, and whether what is on the list belongs in the order that it's presented.

If the writer didn't want people nattering about the order, he would have made it a bulleted list (which is a cop-out), and if he was concerned about people's opinions about his opinions being different from his opinion, he would have kept it to himself.

We're using the list for it's intended purpose: as a discussion starter. You're using the thread as a way to meta whine about lists and people commenting on lists (which, taking your comments as a Body of Work, seems to be a common theme), which is exactly the same thing, but one level abstracted. I guess we're all happy. I'm not seeing the problem here.

Um, what was I saying?
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Quote:

On the 3D list...? What? Also, why the SNES version?

The SNES version of Prince of Persia is an oddity. On one hand, yes, it's longer than the original, and boasts more enemies, but creates situations, specifically the boss fights, which are totally unadapted for the control scheme. Frankly, I prefer the original, which is one of my favourites, because the level design is more memorable, although the SNES version's art direction is more colourful, but less sensical. The original was mysterious and consistent and ultimately, solid and meaty, with a true sense of danger around the corner and sinister wonderment.

Lackey wrote:
Anyway, these are only really interesting if they have rationales.

Agreed. But this is Halverson you're talking about. If he explained game by game they're position on the list, you'd find that he praised all of them as masterful and amazing, from top to bottom, leaving us no better informed. Just seeing his flabbergasting favouritism and his bundling together of similar games within a franchise, obvious differences or not, should be enough to see the sort of flattering "anything goes" kumbayah form of wonky criticism he tries to attain (Little wonder his magazine sells commendably).

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: