The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stella Deus in the US... in two weeks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Stella Deus in the US... in two weeks! Reply with quote

Did anyone else realize this was coming out here? And so soon? And by Atlus?

Does anyone know anything about it? Is it going to be any good or just a generic turn based strategy game with great art design?

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, there's a set of people calling it the "Disgaea Killer". It is supposed to be more of a spiritual successor to FFT, with a nice AP system and lots of unique characters, but with only a little character customization in the form of teaching moves. It looks to be a good SRPG, but whether or not it'll be a great one will have to be seen when the English release comes out. I'm personally going to wait on getting it to see IC and GQ's reaction to it first.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait and Devil Tuna just came out. How will I have time for these games?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a little bit of this at my friend's house.

He likes to import really bad games.

There were no exceptions.[/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EightBit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Wait and Devil Tuna just came out. How will I have time for these games?

Next time I goto a sushi bar, Im soooo asking for Devil Tuna.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I played a little bit of this at my friend's house.

He likes to import really bad games.

There were no exceptions.[/list]

Is there any chance we could get some detailed impressions? I trust people from this community a tad more than that of GameFAQs, and would like to know what you believe is "really bad" about it.
Legal Step

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tollmaster evertime I see your name I'm reminded that I need to buy more Nippon Ichi games.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Tollmaster evertime I see your name I'm reminded that I need to buy more Nippon Ichi games.

My work towards world peace is done, then.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Is there any chance we could get some detailed impressions? I trust people from this community a tad more than that of GameFAQs, and would like to know what you believe is "really bad" about it.

Hmm.. I can't really get that detailed because the game just really detracted me. I'll put it this way:

If you love SRPGs, you will like this game.
If you just sort of have a cursory interest in SRPGs, then you will not.

I don't have any knowledge of the story though, so for all I know this game could have the most awesome plot in the entire world. However, from what I've played, the game is just absolutely plain - as plain as an SRPG can get.

Specific, really annoying details:
It does, however, have bad animation which I attribute to their "let's be sketchy!" rendering engine. In the attempt to make their models and such look nice, the framerate of the movie sequence is killed and the animation is thrown all off. This is all judging by the opening movie though. And most people probably won't care, although it annoys me.

In conclusion:
Why would anyone play SRPGs that aren't made by Nippon Ichi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought Stella Deus last night despite Persona-san's less than glowing impressions.

I'm 3 hours in so far and I really enjoy it. It's nothing new, so it feels wrong for me to say that I enjoy it, but the graphic design is really pretty and the game is surprisingly well put together. It plays like pretty much any tactics game, but the in-game character art isn't proportioned in SD style, which feels surprisingly innovative after Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc, etc, etc. In a way, the game reminds me a lot of Vagrant Story, which I've always been a big fan of.

I'm not one to play a game for story, but Stella Dues' story is interesting, translated well, and well told. It's about a world like the one in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles where deadly gas is enveloping the planet, but when this started to happen, people started freaking out and a war began. To quell the fighting, someone created a religion where standing by and accepting your eventual death was the only way to heaven, so it created a world of apathy and death. The main bad guy of the game takes advantage of this, and starts slaughtering the apathetic in order to become the leader of the dying world. In typical RPG fashion, your character becomes a grunt in his army despite his true desires for peace and due to circumstance must turn against his superiors.

As Persona pointed out, the animation sequences have kind of a low frame rate, but he sort of glossed over that art style during these sequences is very unique, and looks like really nice colored pencil drawings that have been animated. The biggest downfall to the game that I can see is that you can't just play through the story without having to jump through hoops like pointless side-quests and battle tower style level-up battles. I feel compelled to level up my characters and evolve their classes, but I doubt I'll get very far without the constant reward of an ongoing story.

I wasn't planning on picking it up as I entered Gamestop and I feel stupid for admitting this, but when I looked at the back of the box and saw the elegant font they used for the US text I knew that I had to buy it. It's a stupid reason to buy a game, but it didn't disappoint this time. That said, I'll have to admit that I can't see myself playing it forever.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I bought Devil Tuna because it has a box that holds its companion game. So don't feel bad.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Hey I bought Devil Tuna because it has a box that holds its companion game. So don't feel bad.

But did you buy the companion game just to hold it in the Devil Tuna?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry wes, typography gets the best of us all sometimes. i often dismiss games based on their artwork alone.

morrowind's box art is somewhat troublesome, for example.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
morrowind's box art is somewhat troublesome, for example.

Have you ever seen the back of the Non-GOTY edition Xbox version box? Troublesome indeed.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:

In conclusion:
Why would anyone play SRPGs that aren't made by Nippon Ichi?

As you said that, I finally reached nirvana. The universe has started to make sense. Thank you.

SuperWes wrote:
A Good Mini-Review

That was actually a rather beautiful description of the game. If you're on IRC sometime, tell me about it! You've agitated my frothing demand, despite Lord Persona's dark side influence.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you ever seen the back of the Non-GOTY edition Xbox version box? Troublesome indeed.

no i have not. is it hellacious?
calintz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost finished for a second time, and I'd have to say that Stella Deus falls into the above-average SRPGs category. But that really is becuase Nippon Ichi's games occupy the upper ranks.

Okay...obtaining the hidden characters were annoying, as I only figured this out half way thru my first play, and it was too late, as I didn't "overkill" a couple of "escaping" bosses, hence losing my opportunity to recruit the enemies. But other than that, the game is easy, imo, and the story is pretty bland, in that it tries to be different, but falls into cliched "religious" storylines.
The saving graces would be Hitoshi Sakimoto's composition and Soejima Shigenori's character designs.
deepblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calintz wrote:
I'm almost finished for a second time, and I'd have to say that Stella Deus falls into the above-average SRPGs category. But that really is becuase Nippon Ichi's games occupy the upper ranks.

Okay...obtaining the hidden characters were annoying, as I only figured this out half way thru my first play, and it was too late, as I didn't "overkill" a couple of "escaping" bosses, hence losing my opportunity to recruit the enemies. But other than that, the game is easy, imo, and the story is pretty bland, in that it tries to be different, but falls into cliched "religious" storylines.
The saving graces would be Hitoshi Sakimoto's composition and Soejima Shigenori's character designs.

I'll second everything said here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: