The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Japanese Puzzle Games Are Which?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Which Japanese Puzzle Games Are Which? Reply with quote

As some of you know, I like puzzles, on the computer and on paper. So it was sad that Nikoli's Puzzle Japan closed at the end of August. Nikoli, if you don't know, is the Japanese puzzle-publishing company that took an American puzzle called Number Place, renamed it Sudoku, and started a mania. They've also devised and popularized several other types of pure-logic puzzles.

So, while Nikoli starts building a new website and I work solely on paper, I thought I'd see what was available on the DS. I know that Sudoku is available in America, and I know that Cross Sums (aka Kakuro) is available in Japan. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of either. And I know that there are other pure-logic games available, like Polarium, which I know have. But beyond that, I'm having a hard time knowing which, if any, Japanese games have what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for, if it's not clear, are DS or GBA logic-based puzzle games, not action "puzzle games" like Tetris or Meteos or Puzzle League or the like. If you have recommendations, or just places where I can learn about gameplay without learning Japanese, I'd greatly appreciate it.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably are aware of this puzzle type, but Picross is amazing. Mario Picross came out for the B&W Game Boy in America and Super Mario Picross came out for the Super Famicom in Japan. I wrote about Super Mario Picross here, but either one comes highly recommended.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You probably are aware of this puzzle type, but Picross is amazing. Mario Picross came out for the B&W Game Boy in America and Super Mario Picross came out for the Super Famicom in Japan. I wrote about Super Mario Picross here, but either one comes highly recommended.

I remember someone describing the time-penalty system for the original Picross, wherein you could not make a mistake without being informed immediately. That made the game very unappealing. Was it removed in later games in the series?

As for the puzzle type, yeah, I was doing it in Games Magazine long before Picross. I tend to get my fix from the Paint by Numbers page, nowadays.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I remember someone describing the time-penalty system for the original Picross, wherein you could not make a mistake without being informed immediately. That made the game very unappealing. Was it removed in later games in the series?

That person obviously didn't get very far in it! After you get past a certain number of puzzles the Super Famicom version unlocks Wario's Picross, which is basically the same thing but without mistake penalties. I'm pretty sure that the GB version had a similar setup.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know Tablesaw, the GB ones never get so hard/large that the time penatly really makes a difference. If you are screwing up that bad anyways you might want to try again. But, yea, my wife went and did the last/hardest picross after doing a dozen on the GB and beat it on her first try. It is nice as a portable game though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his objection has more to do with the fact that the game is telling him immediately if he makes a mistake. So, if you weren't sure about a particular block, you could just poke it and the game would tell you what it was supposed to be, making it significantly easier than having to rely on pure logic.

I remember years ago in Games magazine, someone wrote in to suggest a contest combining the two hot fads of the time and printing a massive Paint-By-Numbers puzzle that, when solved, would be a random-dot stereogram. (Which they called "Stare-EOs"! Way better name than "Magic Eye".)

I have a nonogram (yet another name for picross) program for my Palm that's made up of all-random puzzles. I was able to solve nearly all of them, but a couple are so ambiguous that you just can't prove anything about the final answer at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I think his objection has more to do with the fact that the game is telling him immediately if he makes a mistake. So, if you weren't sure about a particular block, you could just poke it and the game would tell you what it was supposed to be, making it significantly easier than having to rely on pure logic.

Precisely. And I don't want to have to worry about always getting the right pixel each time. I tend to be sloppy, and I don't want to be spoiled just because I drew a line too far.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic and off at the same time, This game is pretty damn amazing. The website is Chinese, but it really needs to be a DS game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
On topic and off at the same time, This game is pretty damn amazing. The website is Chinese, but it really needs to be a DS game.

-Wes

Oh FUCK no!

HawkPeng79 is a rip off. From the level design down to the art.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:

Interesting! Well regardless of who made it, it's a pretty sweet game. Lets talk about how cool it is.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

Interesting! Well regardless of who made it, it's a pretty sweet game. Lets talk about how cool it is.

Oh, Chromotron is exquisite agony. I just started up a game, and I approach each level I unlike thinking, "Oh God, I hate this level."

It would be a fantastic game for the DS. Drag and drop all the way. Of course, it seems that all the cool puzzle games need trance music.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone have any idea what Dare Demo Dekiru: Rubik's Cube & Chuugen Tachi is supposed to be?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the cover has Shogi pieces.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really heard of it, but Dare Demo Dekiru means "Anyone can do it," so I'd assume that it might be some kind of Rubik's Cube & Chuugen Tachi tutorial? Last I checked, not everyone can do a Rubik's Cube.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

Oh, Chromotron is exquisite agony. I just started up a game, and I approach each level I unlike thinking, "Oh God, I hate this level."

It would be a fantastic game for the DS. Drag and drop all the way. Of course, it seems that all the cool puzzle games need trance music.

Wasn't there a gameboy version of this in the early 90s sometime?
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

Wasn't there a gameboy version of this in the early '90s sometime?

I don't know of one, and I couldn't find evidence of one through some Googling. But there were definitely laser games available on the PC in the '90s, though. So you could be thinking of one of those. Or one of them could have been ported.

Do you know if the game you remember might have been a Japanese release or a homebrew?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: