The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tonight's the night (SoaP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Tonight's the night (SoaP) Reply with quote

Is anyone else going to see this modern day genius of filmmaking/marketing/blaxploitation? I can't wait! They're opening it at 10:00 PM here to get the opening night crowd. Genius. I'll put impressions up when I get back from the movie. If... I get back from the movie.

Post Snakes on a Plane memories here.

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Jackson was on the Daily Show the other night. It was hilarious how him and Jon Stewart kept finding ways to interject "Snakes on a Motherfuckin' Plane!" into the interview. He also hinted at the possibilities of sequels.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
possibilities of sequels.

Bears on a Bus?
Snakes on a Train?
Wasps on a Wang?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Snakes on a Train?

Too late.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Snakes on a Train?

Too late.
Dayum. That was fast. Direct to video the DAY BEFORE the movie that it is ripping off releases in theaters. Amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
possibilities of sequels.

Bears on a Bus?
Snakes on a Train?
Wasps on a Wang?

-Wes

Snakes on a Plane 2: Planes on a Snake

Also: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZijbpxNXII

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Snakes on a Plane 2: Planes on a Snake
With that title, you just know that Bret Ratner would direct and the budget would be $200 Million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Snakes on a Train?

Too late.

I saw this at Hollywood video yesterday and had a hearty lol over it.

Sadly that movie's premise is way better than Snakes On A Plane's.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Snakes on a Train interview (in the best internet magazine ever).

I want to see them both. I mean, really, that trailer has a train going into a giant snake's mouth.

-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakes on a Plane: Exclusive First Review

It wasn't bad! But unfortunately, it wasn't good either. When I hear "Snakes on a Plane" I imagine pure entertainment - like a guy getting hit in the nuts with a baseball over and over again. What I got was entertainment in spurts, and that's what was kind of disappointing. The pacing was all off, with the first third of the movie acting like you care about the story, the second third acting like you care about the characters, and the final bit acting like you care about the internet fad (this 1/3 includes the credits). So basically it was hit and miss. The movie met my expectations without a single attempt to surpass them.

If they make a sequel that understands the movie should be built around pure entertainment value, we could easily end up with the best movie of all time, but for now all we've got is Snakes on a Plane. Snakes on a muthafuckin' plane.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An internet friend just told me it was "very gory."

Please confirm. I'm a whore for gore.

-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:

Deny. It was semi-gory. There was only one scene of awesome gratuitous blood, and it involved cutting open a snake bite so that the venom would drain, which totally took most of the awesomeness out of it. OMG, SOMEONE GETS BITTEN BY A SNAKE!!! SPOILERZSZSES!

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Snakes on a Plane: Exclusive First Review

It wasn't bad! But unfortunately, it wasn't good either. When I hear "Snakes on a Plane" I imagine pure entertainment - like a guy getting hit in the nuts with a baseball over and over again. What I got was entertainment in spurts, and that's what was kind of disappointing. The pacing was all off, with the first third of the movie acting like you care about the story, the second third acting like you care about the characters, and the final bit acting like you care about the internet fad (this 1/3 includes the credits). So basically it was hit and miss. The movie met my expectations without a single attempt to surpass them.

If they make a sequel that understands the movie should be built around pure entertainment value, we could easily end up with the best movie of all time, but for now all we've got is Snakes on a Plane. Snakes on a muthafuckin' plane.

-Wes

Seeing how if this is the least bit entertaining, I will be pleased after all the enjoyment the premise has given me over the last few months, I am definitely looking forward to this!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going last night at 10 pm with some friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed the movie. In fact, I'd have to say I was blown away with how good it was. I wasn't really expecting more than a punchline to one of the biggest jokes in history, but it truly was an enjoyable movie. It was far from perfect (some of the acting was a little off in my opinion and I'm going to have to agree with Wes about the pacing issues), but the fact that it had an actual plot that made sense is still shocking to me. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it's waaay better than a lot of the films Hollywood tries to pass off as "thrillers".

As for gore, there was a lot of it, but not in a traditional sense. Instead of blood and guts there were a lot of really nasty looking snakebite shots.

I'm going to go see it again tonight.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read anything here for fear of spoilers. Going tonight!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so bad its good doesn't happen on purpose; hence why i don't think i'll be seeing this.

it sounds like battlefield earth up front; too bad to ever be good. (unlike a movie version of atlas shrugged with angelina jolie and brad pitt, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of laughing so hard you pissed yourself)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so bad its good doesn't happen on purpose; hence why i don't think i'll be seeing this.

But so bad it's good isn't the only kind of good bad horror movies can be. See: Dead Alive and Bad Taste, or most recently Santa's Slay.

Ooh, or Undead.

-seryogin
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
dhex wrote:

But so bad it's good isn't the only kind of good bad horror movies can be. See: Dead Alive and Bad Taste, or most recently Santa's Slay.

Ooh, or Undead.
semi related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdK-aLGxV0Y
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it be known that the nature of the present circumstances is beyond the threshold for what I am willing to endure. Henceforth I refuse to tolerate the presence of these venomous serpents aboard this fixed-wing aircraft.

I presently intend to breach several of these accursed fenestrae.

It is my solemn obligation to acquaint you with my existent condition, midmost in a monopolising access of jeopardy our preclusive measures failed to prognosticate.
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
(unlike a movie version of atlas shrugged with angelina jolie and brad pitt, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of laughing so hard you pissed yourself)

This seemed a little too specific to be just a random joke, so I looked it up. How amusing. To really convey Rand's vision, they must include that speech toward the end of the book in its entirety.

Following a link from the screenplay writer's name, I also just discovered that someone's making a Cat's Cradle movie.

Last edited by wourme on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
dhex wrote:

Ooh, or Undead.
semi related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdK-aLGxV0Y

semi semi related http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3343&p=5

I think it works.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
How amusing. To really convey Rand's vision, they must include that speech toward the end of the book in its entirety.

They could achieve the same effect if they just filmed a miserable, pedestrian hag enacting her base adolescent power-fantasies by urinating on anything and everything worthwhile for 5 excruciatingly long and poorly filmed hours.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

it sounds like battlefield earth up front; too bad to ever be good. (unlike a movie version of atlas shrugged with angelina jolie and brad pitt, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of laughing so hard you pissed yourself)

No no no no. I just watched Battlefield Earth last night (don't ask). This is a different matter entirely. It's not even so-bad-it's-good, it's straight-up so-good-it's-good. I'm 110% serious. It's a fun movie—a rarity these days. We in the audience were jumping in our seats, laughing, hooting and hollering, and clapping and cheering. It was a fantastic time.

Thank fuck for fun movies; I was choking in the congestion of all the pretense lately.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To really convey Rand's vision, they must include that speech toward the end of the book in its entirety.

can you imagine? actually, i just did. i've never even been able to read the monologue all the way through, even excerpted. the whole thing is just too ridiculous, and since jolie and pitt are already ridiculous people, the effect should be something like.

ridiculous * ridiculous(2) = dhex buys tickets for opening night.

Quote:
They could achieve the same effect if they just filmed a miserable, pedestrian hag enacting her base adolescent power-fantasies by urinating on anything and everything worthwhile for 5 excruciatingly long and poorly filmed hours.

holy shit what? i mean, it's not like she's a nazi or something, she just did a lot of meth and started a cult devoted to irrationally worshipping rationality. who can't appreciate that? i feel the same way about osho rajneesh and el ron. (except rajneesh actually had something of substance to say once you got past all 96 rolls royces.)

unless you're a huge kant fan, in which case oooooops. the characters are all cardboard cutouts and the whole thing is a sermon, which is why reading her fiction is highly unrecommended but the idea of a movie being made out of it fills my heart with an insane joy i cannot begin to describe. not that the world isn't filled with looters, of course, but there are better ways to say it that don't involve thousands of pages of preaching. (i.e. "the world is filled with looters")

lestrade: glad you enjoyed it. it just doesn't seem like my kind of fun. (see above) for some reason a particular friend of mine is being a total bitch about this movie and she just doesn't understand my complete lack of interest.

and jesus is battlefield earth terrible. it should be hilarious, but it's like glitter; not funny at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say that as ridiculous and preposterous Objectivism is, it's a joke I don't find funny at all. It's one of the sickest, most boorish, pathetically demagogic, masturbatory philosophies I've had the displeasure of discovering and seeing in action. I haven't been more infuriated from reading up on a person and their body of work since I had to study Rousseau in high school.

And I don't much care for Kant either, and I'm not seeing the Nazi connection.

I suppose it's a generational thing. Every couple of decades, some insane moonbat which common sense would tell you to disregard outright manages to flatter the deluded academics en masse. Last time, it was Ayn Rand, the yuppy, socially acceptable answer to Jack Kerouac. Today, it's Noam Chomsky.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
wourme wrote:
How amusing. To really convey Rand's vision, they must include that speech toward the end of the book in its entirety.
I never before realized just how similar Ayn Rand and Horse Lips are. Thanks for permitting me this moment of enlightenment.
Lestrade wrote:
Thank fuck for fun movies; I was choking in the congestion of all the pretense lately.
Man, that's pretty harsh. I really like Ridley Scott's films.
Dracko wrote:
I suppose it's a generational thing. Every couple of decades, some insane moonbat which common sense would tell you to disregard outright manages to flatter the deluded academics en masse. Last time, it was Ayn Rand, the yuppy, socially acceptable answer to Jack Kerouac. Today, it's Noam Chomsky.
I'll certainly give you the insane moonbat part, but I like Chomsky's ideas, even though I don't typically like the way that he communicates them.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno. seeing as people still read che and the communist manifesto in public, getting mad about ayn rand is right up there with being angry about timeshares.

i used to say, however, that i'd never met any objectivists who weren't some form of giant asshole or another, but i have to take that back since i met this dude who, despite his undying/unholy love of prog rock, is a neat guy. so i now know one cool objectivist, one cool thelemite and one cool traditionalist catholic. so all i need now is a really hepcat fratboy and i can start an acid rock band that will destroy the fabric of reality.

though i'll give you rousseau, hands down.

i guess i'm not very angry about rand because i've never actually bothered to read her novels. i did read one ok essay about atheism - at said cool objectivist's bequest - and i can sorta kinda see his point about her forcing it into the public sphere since she was such a fixture on egghead tv during the late 60s up to the late 70s.

i dunno. i recommended some julius evola to him but that didn't go over very well. and i figure everyone's already read stirner and nietzche (speaking about hyperindividualists, not comparing them to rand since like, they had clearly read books and stuff. though stirner is a funny guy in a dramedy sort of way.) i have a lot more sympathy for hyperindividualism than collectivism, and not just because of the incredibly low body count.

though i can't say i'd consider chomsky an insane moonbat, though i really wish he'd stop calling himself a libertarian socialist. like, d000000d, the first international called and it wants its 19th century political nomenclature back.

anyhooooooo, sorry about the snakes on a derail. i dunno. i feel like cartman in that south park episode where he wants to get family guy off the air cause everyone's always like "oh man, with your sense of humor you must really like family guy." i appreciate the first four films of steven segal for reasons above and beyond mere farce.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked The Fountainhead, overall, and I still occasionally recommend it to someone. At the time I read it, I found some of Rand's ideas on artistic integrity kind of inspiring. Atlas Shrugged, though, was a little much for me. What bugged me most wasn't what she preached, but how contrived I found the story and characters. I certainly didn't agree with a lot of her conclusions, but some of them at least made me think and increased my general awareness of philosophy as a subject. That was years ago, though--I don't know that I'd have the patience to finish Atlas Shrugged now had I not read it before.

Yeah, sorry about getting off topic. I would say something about Snakes on a Plane, but I don't really plan to see it. I did like the story about how Jackson wanted to keep the original title, but I guess that was the extent of my interest in the whole thing.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone I've talked to about SoaP seems to think that I'm crazy for liking the movie. It seems like nobody wants to take a chance on seeing it because of it's title, plus the fact that the trailer purposely made it look like a really bad movie.

I was going to go see it again tonight but it looks like I'll be seeing The Descent instead.

As for Ayn Rand, I read The Fountainhead my freshman year and loved it. Then I tried reading some of her other books. Bleh. We the Living was the exact same novel as The Fountainhead, almost (I should probably note it was written before The Fountainhead though). If it got better I wouldn't know because I stopped reading it halfway through.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is The Descent based on the game?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i dunno. seeing as people still read che and the communist manifesto in public, getting mad about ayn rand is right up there with being angry about timeshares.

Granted, it's a note that hits me on a personal level more than it does on a rational one (though even then, I find it offensively insulting). Objectivism has been more present in my day-to-day life than base, misinformed communism, so it affects me more deeply. Besides, save for the typically expected examples of sigh-inducing cretins, I've had a number of stimulatiing conversations with informed communists, and there's at least merit in studying its influence on our history, whether you find the philosophy worthwhile or not.

I mean, the only time a situation had devolved to violence so far as Che was involved was when I asked some stranger on my campus if he realised who that was on his expensive red and black T-shirt, only to hear him state it was the creator of anarchy. Other than that, yes, the commercialism is of a dictator is laughable, but I can't find myself getting burnt up over it.

Either way, she's a horrible writer and philosopher and an insipid influence on many who like to gloat in their newly found unshifting middlebrow ignorance. The sense of individualism I see from objectivists reeks of the same kind of pretense I found when the self-important teenage goth clique discovered Nietzsche. It's a guileful, Hell, lubricious, lowest common-denominator house-petting sort, and I can't help but feel slightly miffed whenever the topic is brought up. I have a lot of issues as it is with the concept of individualism, as noble many of its aspirations are, but objectivists I simply would never consider to dub them as such.

Say what you will about Anton LaVey, but he was mostly definitely right about one thing: "After an inferior man has been taught a doctrine of superiority he will remain as inferior as he was before his lesson." I find this generally applies well to the Randian cultists. They're just as pathetic, they're simply more vocal about it.

I look forward to BioShock for many a reason, but one of the major reasons is because it portrays a Randian utopia gone horribly wrong, as such a stilted, short-sighted arrogant community would deserve.

Lackey wrote:
Is The Descent based on the game?

No. It is still a cavernous horror title and is an enjoyable watch. After that, check out Dog Soldiers. Neil Marshall is a good horror director.

Sorry for the derail, incidentally. If it's any consolation, I intend to see this movie on its release in the UK, marketed appeal to the lowest common denonimator to obscene extents or not, with little to no expectations. I also think it's cool Jeffrey Rowland will be commenting on it on the DVD extras.

The sequel should be called Marmosets on a Ferris Wheel.

Last edited by Dracko on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Objectivism has been more present in my day-to-day life than base, misinformed communism

where do you live because i would like to move there perhaps?

are you serious? i'm completely flabbergasted. i mean, yeah, it can be annoying but like, what? there aren't enough objectivists to fill a small convention center.

however, on a more serious note, squeak the squirrel kicks fucking ass.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't wish Norfolk on anyone, Mr. dhex. Though I can say that Fontainebleau is quite an interesting corner of Īle-de-France, a typically abominable region of France.

However, it may very well be to do with the sorts of cliques I've tended to hang out with since my adolescence, along with certain long-lasting, but overall tiresome, petty rivalries that developed.

Squeak's a real American.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confession: i would see any movie called "squirrels on a plane."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between a marmot and a marmoset?

edit: Oh, wait, I see. A Marmot is like a squirrel, and a Marmoset is a monkey.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I look forward to BioShock for many a reason, but one of the major reasons is because it portrays a Randian utopia gone horribly wrong, as such a stilted, short-sighted arrogant community would deserve.

I've heard nothing about this, can you elaborate on it at all? The only things I've read about BioShock are little bits of gameplay mechanics and some mention of genetic manipulation in the story.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, basically galt's gulch finds some sort of life-enhancing seafoam type thing, and those who don't die get turned into biomechancial monster type things.

to even further pull things away from the core: man, i hope bioshock doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Quote:

I've heard nothing about this, can you elaborate on it at all? The only things I've read about BioShock are little bits of gameplay mechanics and some mention of genetic manipulation in the story.

I'm tired and should be sleeping, so I'm going to copy/paste Wikipedia

Quote:
The game starts with the player underwater following a plane crash in the ocean, surrounded by debris. No introductory cut scene is displayed explaining how this happened, leaving the player to decide for themself why they were on the plane. Nearby, a lighthouse is sticking out of the water, in the middle of the ocean. Upon getting inside and traversing the internal stairwell, the player finds a bathysphere, with a corpse inside. Upon removing the corpse and descending in the bathysphere (having nowhere else to go), the player eventually reaches an underwater city on the ocean floor.

A plot unfolds involving the crumbling city, named Rapture, and the utopian society for which it was built. A man named Andrew Ryan, a former Soviet citizen, built the city in 1946, and the society was envisioned as the ultimate capitalistic and individualist paradise, with the elite achieving for themselves, rather than for the whole. Protected by a network of giant sea walls and consisting of a cluster of enormous skyscraper-shaped hive towers, Rapture was designed to be entirely self-supporting, with all of its electricity, food production, water purification and defense systems powered by the natural undersea currents of the ocean. At one point, it is learned that Rapture's population numbered several thousand at its peak during the early 1960s, composed of those people Ryan viewed as the best examples of mankind. A large and tiered economy grew among the people, catering different quality products to different levels of the society. The city itself is inspired by Art Deco and has an appearance merging the futuristic and arcahaic.

A scientific discovery upset the balance of the society. Two scientists studying ocean-floor dwelling creatures discovered a species of sea slug that secretes pure stem cells. These could be used to enhance one's body, improving physical or mental capabilities, curing diseases and healing injuries. A young entrepeneur named Fontaine invested early on in the research to gain control over the material. The substance, dubbed "Adam", became so sought after in the society, that it became the dominant currency of the city. A "full-scale genetic arms race" broke out between Ryan and Fontaine as Fontaine's monopoly on Adam threatened the current social structure. Ryan eventually won, but everyone in the city was permanently changed. During the war, it was discovered that Adam could be used to modify one's body, combining technology and mutations to adapt and survive the conflict, but losing their humanity in the process. During the conflict, all natural sources of Adam were destroyed, which eventually resulted in a major shift in the "ecology" of the city, as all inhabitants had become biologically dependant on Adam to survive.

When the player arrives in Rapture, the city is in a state of disrepair, its vast underground living areas and laboratory complexes scarred by the effects of the civil war and poisoned by biological weapons. Low-level flooding is also found to be a problem, as the use of high-powered explosives and corrosion weapons during the war created small breaches in the city's sea walls, allowing the sea to enter some of the buildings.

As the player descends through the underwater city, he or she will explore the many levels of the giant undersea base, including the huge living quarters modules, the multi-floored scientific headquarters and the undersea monorail transport network. Remnants of the last days remain in notes and recordings made by the citizens before and during the collapse of Rapture's society. Not only does this provide background, it also opens new avenues in the player's interaction with the ecology of Rapture.

Also: http://www.modernhumorist.com/mh/0101/rand/
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs more humor!

like this: NSFW
http://www.savethehumans.com/instantgrat/thelist/objectivist_sex/index.shtml

man, if pitt and jolie succeed in making rand cool, we can look forward to the most insane season of oprah EVER.

atheism + oprah = $$$$$?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I should have gone with that link instead.

You know what else is funny?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's good stuff.

"in a world...where creating value has been outlawed...only outlaws will create value"

an atlas shrugged rpg would be a great movie tie-in too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
atheism + oprah = $$$$$?
Man, I don't think it's possible to mix Atheism with Oprah. That would be like mixing Atheism and Jesus. One Must Fall!
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

Deny. It was semi-gory. There was only one scene of awesome gratuitous blood, and it involved cutting open a snake bite so that the venom would drain, which totally took most of the awesomeness out of it. OMG, SOMEONE GETS BITTEN BY A SNAKE!!! SPOILERZSZSES!

-Wes

Well, there's also when the guy pulls the tube or SOMETHING out of his neck . That scene made me cringe a little!

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

-Wes

Well, there's also when the guy pulls the tube or SOMETHING out of his neck . That scene made me cringe a little!

The part where the guy gets the heel from the lady's stillettos in his ear got me.

Now that I think about it, there was a surprising amount of non-Snake-related violence in SoaP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: