The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The cruellest games (Druaga,.... Chousenjou)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: The cruellest games (Druaga,.... Chousenjou) Reply with quote

Read about Druaga here http://www.ntsc-uk.com/feature.php?featuretype=edi&fea=Druaga

Takeshii no Chousenjou (is that how it is spelt?) is more of a prank than a game, saying that it is made "by a man who hates video-games" and with an end boss that needs to be hit 20,ooo times to defeat, it also had things like needing to sing into the famicom microphone for an hour without touching the controller (ie. karaoke). I'm sure that most regulars here or at insertcredit have heard about this one.

It seems to me that both these games highlight some of the main problems with games, I'd love to see a game that was built in a real world setting like (TnC) but where the challenges are more obvious and forgiving, where the game is made with *empathy* for the player rather than as a cruel prank. Maybe as a kind of adventure/RPG? where you would score points (or improve your stats) with everything you do. And where the following never happens

Quote:

Things are complicated by the fact that some puzzles are unnecessary while others are totally vital if you intend to see the end sequence. Without the Jet Boots from floor 2, Prince Gil will walk at half speed for the entire game. The hyper gauntlets from floor 26 (along with the rest of the top level armour from the game) will allow you to survive the final battles of the game with much greater ease, but without the gauntlets from floor 10 they will not appear and without the magic balance from floor 24 they will turn into the evil gauntlets and prevent you from drawing your sword for the rest of the game. Without the book from floor 28, all the doors in the game will turn invisible. Without the ruby mace from floor 57, the final boss will be invisible. Without the Blue Crystal Rod, invincible.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that Super Ghouls & Ghosts (and its kin), where you have to play through the whole damn-near impossible thing twice.

I guess it's good to have the occasional semi-impossible game though. I see them as the pre-MMORPG method of grinding, and plenty of people go for that. Plus there's plenty more accomplishment in beating one of these than there is in getting your WoW character up to lvl 60 or whatever.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of terrible games, I saw a copy of the original Hydlide in a store the other day for about a buck. Anyone seeking that for some unspeakable reason?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually managed to extract some fun out of Hydlide, back in the day. I don't remember exactly how, but I'm certain it involved the mute button.

Would you like to hear an embarassing childhood story? When I was quite young, like six years old, my brother beat me so soundly in Double Dribble that I cried. Filled with impotent rage, I swore through my tears that I was going to write a letter to Konami telling them that they shouldn't be allowed to advertise their game as entertainment software. To this day, my family taunts me with cries of "It's not entertaining me anymore!"

That's probably about as cruel as a game has ever been to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
That's probably about as cruel as a game has ever been to me.

When I was 7 I cried because I had to return a rented copy of Tetris Attack. My parents ended up buying me a copy of the Game Boy version a few months later, and the became the closest thing to a security blanket I ever had.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Speaking of terrible games, I saw a copy of the original Hydlide in a store the other day for about a buck. Anyone seeking that for some unspeakable reason?
Remind me, was Hydlide the equivalent of Double Dungeons?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydlide was a totally lobotomized Zelda rip-off with a cheery 15-second music loop that literally never stopped. Instead of, say, swinging your sword at an enemy, you would hold down the A button, which would change a textbox from "DEFEND" to "ATTACK", and bump into them.

Somehow it managed to spawn an entire series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WORST, as far as I'm concerned, is the old cruelty in adventure games. You know, like old Sierra games or text adventures, where if you didn't grab the 4-by7 pixel piece of wood in the first five minutes of the game (that you didn't even know you could pick up) you'll be stuck three hours later when you crash land and need to make a fire to survive. Or, my favorite, walking into the wrong room and falling down a pit to your death. I guess I learned to make lots of backup saves, which could be a good trait, but there's no reason for those games to be such assholes about it!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Somehow it managed to spawn an entire series.

super hydlide is actually really good okay.

i sort of want to shift the discussion to super marios bros 2, mostly because i'm currently playing it. i wouldn't call it cheap, but it is vicious and demanding and strict. it totally takes advantage of my masochistic streak, and naturally i love it.

one of the castles has one of those mazes where you have to find the correct route to proceed. to reach the correct route, you have to find some invisible coin blocks and use them as a platform. in another castle, the correct route requires you to fall from a pipe with a red pirahna plant (which pops in and out regardless of whether you're on the pipe) through a gate of fire bars that are both revolving outwards.

pulling it off feels amazing.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was considering mentioning SMB2j. Attempting to play through the Lost Levels version, I kept saying to myself, "Man, this game really doesn't like me."
a_plus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucasarts where did you go Sad
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Attempting to play through the Lost Levels version, I kept saying to myself, "Man, this game really doesn't like me."

Lost Levels was the best part of Super Mario All-Stars, back when I owned it. I loved every flagellant minute of it.
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Babel Fish puzzle in HHGttG had an evil twist too, if you didn't solve it right on your first attempt, when you did work it out the vending machine would have run out of Babelfish !

So that is a case of save-attempt reload. Also to do it you needed to pick up the JunkMail from your doormat, which was at the start of the game and there was no way to get it from where you were now.

That's just ridiculously bad design, if you ask me.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Apparently the Babel Fish puzzle in HHGttG had an evil twist too, if you didn't solve it right on your first attempt, when you did work it out the vending machine would have run out of Babelfish !

So that is a case of save-attempt reload. Also to do it you needed to pick up the JunkMail from your doormat, which was at the start of the game and there was no way to get it from where you were now.

It isn't like your inventory filled up or anything. I'm not sure how picking up every single thing in HHGtG is different from grabbing every ring, coin, rupee, heart, magic lamp, flower, mushroom, etc that isn't nailed down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

This was my favorite moment of the game, and I didn't even find it until my third playthrough.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:

So that is a case of save-attempt reload.

If I recall my own solving attempts correctly, the Babelfish dispenser had a limited quantity, but it was not so limited that one would need to place everything correctly to succeed.

Quote:
Also to do it you needed to pick up the JunkMail from your doormat, which was at the start of the game and there was no way to get it from where you were now.

Par for the course, though, and all players were advised early on to take everything one possibly could, and the junk mail wasn't hidden in any way.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Ketch wrote:

So that is a case of save-attempt reload.

If I recall my own solving attempts correctly, the Babelfish dispenser had a limited quantity, but it was not so limited that one would need to place everything correctly to succeed.

i remember getting this puzzle in my first go.

which is to say, i would release a fish, block the latest obstacle, and then release another fish. and i got through it okay.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Add to that Super Ghouls & Ghosts (and its kin), where you have to play through the whole damn-near impossible thing twice.

I have never finished a single G&G game. They are damn impossible.

My vote for nearly impossible game goes to Image Fight for the NES. Seriously, someone report back to me if they can beat the first stage. Go try it on an emulator. Go on!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of Space Quest II -- there's a point where you're in some sort of ship, trying to start it, but every command you input gives you a "I don't understand the word 'ignition.' Please try another sentence"-type answer. After banging your head on the keyboard for a while you type something like "TURN THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT ON" and boop! it goes.

Of course, the other 90% of the puzzles in this and all other Sierra adventure games are equally difficult, but without the humorous solution. I kind of love them for some BDSM reason.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, I remember writing into Sierra for SQ2 hints. I had to write them twice for the same puzzle because their first answer was too cryptic. Those were the days!

a_plus, have you played the Gobliiins games at all? Now those are punishing puzzles that are completely devoid of any logic or even a clear goal. Gobliins 2 made my wife cry on one of the early puzzles. She did the right thing with the wrong Gobliin. Instead of cooking the egg she'd just spent the last fifteen minutes doing ridiculous things to get, he ate it and laughed at her.

I love the shit out of them, though. I find discovering their ridiculous dream logic to be reward enough.
a_plus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't! Are they at all like Lemmings/Lost vikings, or did I just make that up?
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

The moment adventure games were mentioned, this was the first thing that came to mind. I was raised on the "second-gen" adventure games, I suppose, so that cruelty had already dissipated into idleness--the frustration came from figuring out the puzzle, not realizing that you couldn't figure out the puzzle.

Speaking of cruelty, wasn't there some flash game made relatively recently (last year or so) whose title conveyed something like "You are going to die because we made this game impossible?"
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm making a game for a digital art class I'm in at school that's from the point of view of a mentally challenged person. It's a point and click adventure (I'm using AGS to make the game), but the catch is that, since the main character isn't all there, he only has two interactions he can make with the environment - Look and Use, use being used to also trigger conversations, which will be limited because the character won't be able to really interact with the environment.

I haven't really figured out what kind of puzzles, if any, I'm going to put in the game. I'm hoping to have some kind of demo ready within the next week or so though.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die!

This is very cruel.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a not-so-old gamer, I have a skewed perspective of what difficult is.
Two examples: Shinobi, PS2. Breath of Fire V, PS2.
I gave these games away because I was not big enough to face up to the fact that I am shit at video games Sad
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
I haven't! Are they at all like Lemmings/Lost vikings, or did I just make that up?

You kind of did! I mean, you've got multiple characters with different abilities that have to work together, like Lost Vikings, but the game is not very action-oriented at all. They're basically really puzzle-heavy graphic adventures.

The puzzles, as I mentioned, are tremendously unfair, and defy all logic. Rarely is there an obvious goal that you're working towards; it's all about tinkering with your surroundings to make weird things happen. Part of the brilliance is that they don't just happen when you're doing the right thing; so it's actually rewarding to explore and do the wrong thing. (Except in the original Gobliiins, which inexplicably has a life meter. The only way to win that game reasonably, which I did, is to save at the beginning of every level, figure out how to beat the level, then restore and solve it without errors before continuing.) The other part is that you're constrained to, at most, a few rooms at a time, so it's actually possible to try every bizarre combination of things.

I mean, COME ON.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
My vote for nearly impossible game goes to Image Fight for the NES. Seriously, someone report back to me if they can beat the first stage. Go try it on an emulator. Go on!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, shit! Gobliins? Ahh god. Yeah, they were pretty ruthless. I remember playing them (1, 2, and 3) with my brother and getting so much satisfaction if we ever figured out a single goddamned thing.

I also totally didn't realise this thread was about Beat Takeshi's videogame. I'm an idiot.

"This is a game...made by a man who hates videogames..."

L:ove that man.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Reporting!

First try, but I didn't get much further. Moderately bitchy little game.

Toto wrote:
Two examples: Shinobi, PS2. Breath of Fire V, PS2.
I gave these games away because I was not big enough to face up to the fact that I am shit at video games Sad

Giving up at PS2 Shinobi doesn't mean you suck, it means you have no patience for brutally unfun games. Good for you.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, all this talk of gobliiins is inexplicably reminding me of The Gostak, even though it's not actually cruel; it is, in fact, excellent and I recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in interactive fiction and/or linguistics.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got fairly far into Gobliins at the Boys and Girls Club, back in the day.

There was a magical moment when one of the older kids got into this castle that all of us had been skipping until then, because we just couldn't find a way in. I don't quite clearly remember what was inside, but a crowd of kids had gathered behind him, rooting the kid on. It looked a lot more fun being stuck on these mushroom things, anyway.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

It took me a few tries when I played it, but it wasn't really fair. You see those ships with the homing shots? They appear in R-Type Final. Yes, those machines are definitely not your friends.

You can fight them with the Image Fight ship, too. Poetic justice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: