The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking pictures of animals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Taking pictures of animals Reply with quote

I picked up Beyond Good and Evil today. I have put in about 6 very deliberate hours so far, and I am fascinated by photographing all the planet's species. My favorite so far was a huge whale I just happened to notice leaping out from the water across a barrier as I was cruising around in my hovercraft. My breath quickened in astonishment. I whipped out my camera just in time to get a passable shot of it as it dove back in. It was very satisfying, and the scientific society lady rewarded me very handsomely.

And I'm sure the local hybrid species are getting sick of me snapping a few shots every time I see them. But can they blame me? I'm not the one who's a fucking Walrus sapiens.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps that the creature designs in BG&E are all pretty neat. Flying manta rays are beautiful creatures.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the photography aspect is a blast. It's too bad a lot of the rest of the game isn't up to the same level.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, in the brief time I spent with BG&E, the photography was my favorite part of the game. I spent so much time taking pictures of stuff that I pretty much ignored the rest of the game.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It's nice that they improved on at least one of the ideas they took from Zelda, anyway.

Remember how people were disappointed how the level design of Super Mario Sunshine was full of invisible barriers? The very first thing I did in BGAE was to bump into an invisble barrier, like 0.05 seconds into the game. The last thing I did was switch the console off when I realised the game had a bug which made it incompletable. Oh yeah, and I unlocked the worst minigame ever.

I guess its heart was in the right place, though.
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking pictures of animals is fun in real life, too.

But more on topic--I like just about every aspect of Beyond Good and Evil.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread would be about Pokemon Snap, but was pleasantly surprised anyway.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I like just about every aspect of Beyond Good and Evil.

Yes, I watched my wife play though the entire game and was exceptionally entertained the entire time, even with the "boring picture taking parts" (or as one might consider it from an outside perspective... which I did not). I ended up having to beat the last boss for her (she couldn't wrap her head around inverted controls), but when she finished I tried to play the game and found it to be very similar to watching it. Too similar, in fact. I ended up not playing more than an hour or so because of this.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The last thing I did was switch the console off when I realised the game had a bug which made it incompletable.

This happened to me in Wind Waker. Luckily, I was sick of sailing around looking for triforce pieces and maps anyway.

And I am really digging on just about all of Beyond Good and Evil right now.

The first thing I took a picture of was the doll in the lighthouse/children's shelter. I like to think that Jade looks at it for motivation whenever the going gets tough.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt more empathy for Jade and her concern for the Lighthouse orphans than I have for a videogame protagonist in a long time. She just seems like a nice person!

Also: Taking pictures of animals in Duck Hunt: The Quest for Gold was by far my favourite part of that game. Granted, I was a child when I played it, but I still remember it being cool.

Has anyone seen that indie game where you go on a safari? It actually looked rather well done.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Duck Hunt: The Quest for Gold

Now that would be a mid-90s remake!

I think you mean DuckTales, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my mistake.

And yes, someone should make this game.

edit: I'm also writing a Duck Hunt/Duck Tales crossover fanfiction.
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I felt more empathy for Jade and her concern for the Lighthouse orphans than I have for a videogame protagonist in a long time. She just seems like a nice person!

Has anyone seen that indie game where you go on a safari? It actually looked rather well done.

My favorite BG&E character was Double H. I found him sympathetic and genuinely funny--not annoying like the sarcastic teenager/stupid sidekick characters that are in so many other games. The last battle really got to me for several reasons--I reached it very late at night, the music is excellent, etc.-- but especially because of his role in it.

--

I had a fun Commodore 64 game called Photo Safari. I wonder whether it was the first of its kind.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I had a fun Commodore 64 game called Photo Safari. I wonder whether it was the first of its kind.

I think there was a game like this for the NES too.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Alc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed BG&E. A lot of people complained about the length, but I was pretty much done with it by the end, it didn't need to be longer. A sequel would be nice, though unlikely given the first game's poor sales.

The only thing that got to me was the voiceover. At one point I changed the dialogue to Italian, but changed it back when I realised the subtitles were in Italian too. Durr etc.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
The first thing I took a picture of was the doll in the lighthouse/children's shelter. I like to think that Jade looks at it for motivation whenever the going gets tough.

I thought I was the only person that did that.

On a side note, has anyone else played around with the unlockable camera in MGS3: Subsistence's Snake vs Ape mode? I've taken some really interesting pictures with that...
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. So I finished the game yesterday. I am happy to report that taking pictures of animals never got old, and I wish there were more animals in the game.

I applaud Beyond Good and Evil for its sense of context. The game's dungeon design was integrated well with the concept of my objectives at each one. The difficulties I encountered (rather, Jade encountered, because nothing in the game was terribly difficult for me) were all explainable within the game's universe, especially compared to Zelda games, which can feel utterly arbitrary, especially in dungeons. And I like that the objective for each dungeon (taking pictures for the resistance effort) actually connected with the surface narrative of the game. In Zelda, the objective always boils down to "you are to kill this boss because, er, that's what you are to do," and this resulting player narrative typically feels wholly disengaged from whatever link's quest is (although I didn't get this feeling from Majora's Mask, probably because of the bosses' art style).

The worst thing about the game was its pacing. Nothing quite feels as big as it should. Aside from my own rampant photography binges, every point in the game seems overly significant, with little downtime in between. It cheapens a lot of the biggest accomplishments, especially the very interesting last boss fight, which never quite felt as epic as it should have been.

So yeah, just thought I'd list some final thoughts.

Oh, and I really enjoyed watching the credits. I sat there and worked on my French pronunciation as the names appeared on the screen, which became really challenging as more and more showed up. I'm gonna have to beat more Ubisoft games.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I thought this thread would be about Pokemon Snap, but was pleasantly surprised anyway.

i actually didn't expect this thread to be about pokemon snap, so i was going to jump in here and say something about it. i'm glad that you had a similar train of thought.

also, while autumn and i were at the aquarium this weekend, we likened our photography of the sea creatures to pokemon snap.

now, here's my proposal. wouldn't it be neat if there were a game where you took pictures of animals, but in an empty, foreign setting (think sotc). the animals could be small, like lizards and snails, bigger, like elephants and bison, or as big as the largest collossus in sotc. there would be no combat, seeing as you have a camera, but it could be made exciting by having some the animals react with hostility. i gave those examples, but it would work better if all the creatures were foreign/alien. maybe you could use some of that fancy GENETIC PROGRAMMING or whatever and make completely weird ones.

the "object" of the game, since most of them have to have one (personally I would rather the premise be the whole game), would be to take as many pictures and find as many animals as possible, then just get out. the longer you stay around, the more you explore, the more there's a chance you'll get killed, and never get your pictures out. or you can just take some pictures of a snail and leave. your choice.

i think it'd be fun!

LJ -- Profile
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see your Pokemon Snap and raise you a Dead Rising. In Dead Rising you get bonus points (exp?) for putting Kobun Heads on Zombies and fitting them all into the frame of a picture.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'll see your Pokemon Snap and raise you a Dead Rising. In Dead Rising you get bonus points (exp?) for putting Kobun Heads on Zombies and fitting them all into the frame of a picture.

-Wes

god wes, please don't make me want dead rising more than i already do. i won't have the money for it until friday, until then i'm stuck with OBLIVION.

god i fucking hate oblivion.

LJ -- Profile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: