The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bit generations!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanting to 'make games fun again' is as pretentious as doing a poo.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're saying making the outrageous claim that you're messianicly bringing back fun to a medium which is already enjoying titles and developments you're too deluded to take a part in is like putting the conclusion of your bowel movements on display, then I agree.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should use the slogan "making games games again" instead.

I think the main difference between these games and Warioware is that Warioware is meant to last 5 seconds per game and these are meant to last closer to 10 minutes (or longer?). They are a bit of a rip-off at $20 each, but then again they're not making very many of them, and they're sure to sell out, making Nintendo some money in the process. I don't see anything wrong with intentionally catering to a smaller audience who wants games like these but couldn't otherwise get them because they're not mainstream enough.

I tried out Coloris and Digidrive last night and today. I like Digidrive a whole lot for some reason. I have barely any idea what's going on, but I think I'm getting a hang of it and I like the concept.

And for those interested, there isn't a single line of Japanese in these once you make it past the Epileptic warning screens.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
a medium which is already enjoying... developments you're too deluded to take a part in

Like what?
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
They should use the slogan "making games games again" instead.

They'll get there once the interest in the Wii starts waning and they blame games being "too complicated" again.

SuperWes wrote:
They are a bit of a rip-off at $20 each, but then again they're not making very many of them, and they're sure to sell out, making Nintendo some money in the process. I don't see anything wrong with intentionally catering to a smaller audience who wants games like these but couldn't otherwise get them because they're not mainstream enough.

I don't see anything wrong with that either. What I do see wrong is making them more costly than they reasonably should be, making them, ironically, less accessible. Honestly, what kind of counter-argument is "they're not making many of them"? The full series, 7 I believe, still adds up $126 or so. And of course it's making them money: That's the entire point.

Harveyjames wrote:
Dracko wrote:
a medium which is already enjoying... developments you're too deluded to take a part in

Like what?

Like pretty much anything else. A vast number of developers, console or otherwise, have been making improvements and innovations to gaming genres considered stale. Nintendo is satisfied with denying that online content is of any importance, mini-games, rehashes, both of which are over-priced, the hand-held market and a console with a wand so that gaming is now "easy enough that people can start playing immediately, even if they have no videogame experience".

Nintendo's ideas completely ignore the fact that the common gamer doesn't give a crap. The future doesn't lie in two screens, a stylus or a remote sensor, especially when the good old controller still leaves enough room for innovation and is becoming less obscure for everyone. Hardcore gaming is pretty much dead (or gone indie). Pretty much anyone can claim to have played a game or two.

There's a reason why Nintendo's getting less and less third-party support, and that's because they're still stuck in 1989, back when they actually had a strong hand and influence on the market. It drones on and on about the future, a spiel we've heard over and over again, and I just don't buy it anymore.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And for those interested, there isn't a single line of Japanese in these once you make it past the Epileptic warning screens.

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks, Wes.

Dracko:

I guess what confuses me about your arguments is their particular anti-Nintendo emphasis. I am just not quite sure what that company does to anger you moreso than other big hardware and software manufacturers. Whether or not people agree with their stated mission to bring fun back to gaming, you have made a very valid analysis of it as a ridiculously high-and-mighty, or "messianic" to quote one of your best moments, message. It's condescending, bloated marketing aimed at both gamers and investors. But how is that any different than all the "lucid dreams" and other such talk by Sony and Microsoft, other than the precise content of the message?

In another thread on these boards, you seem to lash out at Nintendo's constant use of and reliance on its franchises. Sure, Mario stars in a disproportionate amount of mediocre sports titles, but over-franchising is an industry-wide disease, especially among the more major hardware and software companies. Why are there yearly iterations of Madden and Need for Speed? Why in the hell does Shadow the Hedgehog exist? There are going to be multiple new (and questionable) Final Fantasy 7 games released by SquareEnix. And, now that I think about it, are things like the Mario-themed sports games even that much of a problem? Yeah, it's easy to point at them as a lack of creativity in game design, but Mario and Co.'s presence in those games amounts to little more than a themed skin on top of simplified, non-simulation sports games so that they're easier to market to kids. Yeah, it's a cheap way to get kids to want a game, but do you honestly think that ten year olds don't end up getting a big kick out of Super Mario Strikers after they're duped into buying it? It doesn't seem so much like a sin as it does smart business.

And I don't understand your disgust for Nintendo's "over-priced" re-released games. The gaming populace has changed since the days of the NES and SNES. There are plenty of gamers out there (myself included) who never owned either of the systems. So, for example, Nintendo releases a port of Yoshi's Island on GBA for $30.00. I loved the game playing it at a friend's house back when it came out, and so I was elated to get to buy this new version five or six years after that because it meant I could actually own it without trying to track down a used SNES. And the price on these things is fantastic, if you ask me. $30.00 for Yoshi's Island on GBA is, like, $25.00 less than the original's msrp when it debuted. The NES classics series retails for $9.99 a pop. These are great deals for someone who either has never owned or has never even played games like Zelda II, Metroid, and Excitebike. And these people who missed out on the games the first time are the market that Nintendo is catering with these titles, not those like you or most of the people on this forum who have already experienced all of them, so I would argue that your perspective on them as a consumer isn't all that valid. This business also strategy works well for the industry in a couple ways. First, Nintendo (I assume) is making substantial profits on these due to the extremely low development costs for them, which money can be used to fund development new IP's in the mold of the superb (in my opinion) Pikmin series, or others like Animal Crossing, WarioWare, or these Bit Generations games. Secondly, the emergence of these older games made new again goes a long way to counteracts the trend (which, if I am not mistaken, TGQ aims to stand against) of depreciation and obsolescence that mars the credibility and historical reputation of the medium. Dostoevsky is priced similarly to Phillip Roth, The Beatles cd's, likewise, are sold for the same price as a brand-new White Stripes album, and you won't find too much of a difference between special edition DVDs of Casablanca and Crash. Republishing helps maintain the relevancy of older games.

So, please, tell me particularly what it is about Nintendo's creative and business strategies that so irritates you, because I don't understand why your disdain is of such a magnitude. The most obvious thing I can think of is Nintendo's counterintuitive hardware format decisions for the past couple of generations, but I don't recall your ever even mentioning them.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Nintendo is satisfied with denying that online content is of any importance

I just don't think that's true of the DS and the Wii. Nintendo is going to be pushing WiFi pretty hard for both systems. If you're referring to last generation, Microsoft alone of the big three actually emphasized and implemented a real online experience. So I'm not sure how you can make that kind of statement.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with pretty much every sentence in that previous post, but since this is the bit generations thread and I should actually be working instead of posting on message boards, I'll comment on this one.

Dracko wrote:
more costly than they reasonably should be

Having just played a bit more of Coloris and doing some research on the rest of the series it looks more and more like I want to own the whole set. That's neither here nor there though, I just thought I'd mention it.

It sounds like you think the simplicity of the games, obviously shorter development times, and lower budgets of the games should mean that Nintendo sells the games for less money. The flaw in this thinking is that we pay for entertainment based on the cost that went into them rather than the enjoyment we get out of them. In reality though, why does this stuff really matter? Should we have to pay more to go see big-budget movies than indie flicks?

Another important point is that the standard price for GBA games in Japan is around 4800 yen. These games are less than half the cost of those, and comparitively a 2000 yen price tag makes a lot of sense for what you're getting. At the US standard $20 vs $30 price tags you feel the sting a bit more, but what else can you do? In the end, these are much more enjoyable than Electroplankton, and I payed $35 plus shipping for a US release of that.

And to respond to your concern about paying $20 for a Warioware mini-game, it's obvious that a lot of effort went into these. Coloris has a new color scheme and art design for nearly all of its stages and digidrive has unlockable skins (I think, I haven't actually unlocked any) and wireless single-cart multiplayer.

In the end though, I highly reccommend that you do NOT pick any of these up. It seems like you're a fairly pessimistic fellow, and these don't seem like the type of games that someone would enjoy unless they already wanted to enjoy them.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Having just played a bit more of Coloris and doing some research on the rest of the series it looks more and more like I want to own the whole set. That's neither here nor there though, I just thought I'd mention it.

it's those boxes, isn't it? those gorgeous, gorgeous boxes.

anyway, yes. nintendo has a history of overcharging. the nes classic series was ridiculous, though the famicom minis were a little better (thanks to nice production values and, yes, adorable boxes).

(actually i'm thinking about picking up super mario bros. 2j.)

but i don't think these games would be complete only if they were mashed together and released as some GBA RETRO BUNDLE-O-FUN pack. the gba library is too saturated with that sort of stuff already. these games are complete. i wouldn't mind a smaller price, but that doesn't mean i would feel overcharged paying 2000 yen for coloris.

coloris!

end of post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
(actually i'm thinking about picking up super mario bros. 2j.)

It's totally worth it, if for no other reason than the nifty packaging and the bright yellow cartridge. But that aside, the game is still awesome--there's nothing more disconcerting than playing what you think is Super Mario Bros. and having things going just slightly skewed, like having a crack in a mirror. Mushrooms can kill you, and Luigi has that bizarre floaty jump that he had in Super Mario USA. If you can get the game for $30 at the very most, I'd say it was money well spent--especially considering the insane length of the title.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! i finished the all-stars version years ago, via world nine. i think it's probably about time i return to it.

supposedly the famicom mini version lets you save after each stage, just like in all-stars. otherwise i'm not sure i would be able to cope with it.

it's definitely one of the most sinister and excellent sequels ever made.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really have to stop making me desire certain games more based on their packaging. I might give in sooner or later.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i may derail the thread momentarily!

pretty much every place i know is sold out of super mario 2, so i flashed it. it's really swell! the famicom disk system boot screen shows up at the beginning, and you can leave it on to watch the little mario and luigi animation. as for the game itself, the backgrounds are slightly compressed vertically, and the sprites aren't compressed at all. it actually looks very nearly perfect (better than if i were playing it on pocketnes. if pocketnes even supports fds games).

but either i was misinformed about game save data or something is wrong because i'm playing the game off a flash cart. if it doesn't save after all i'm kind of glad i didn't spend money on it, since i can't even get past the first world right in one "credit" right now.

EDIT: so it turns out the game only saves after each world. that's every four stages. yikes. looks like the ante has been upped.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am buying myself Coloris as a birthday present. I hold Dessgeega responsible for any experience that might befall me.

Note: I posted this first on the street fighter asshole thread by accident. The offending parties have been sacked.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any y'all fools know the cheapest place to buy the whole set of these minus digidrive? I could stick with Play-Asia and I've got two of the PlayAsia coupons, but I'm hoping there's a better option.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! I just ordered the whole set from YesAsia where they're $19 each with free shipping. I'm pumped!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Ok! I just ordered the whole set from YesAsia where they're $19 each with free shipping. I'm pumped!

-Wes

Jesus...

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

Jesus...

I got paid!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit Generations music:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/10/22/bit-generations-tunes/

I actually know nothing at all about these games--I haven't even read this thread. But I'm glad I just glanced at it now because I learned about the re-release of SMB2. I've never actually played SMB2 because I don't like playing that sort of game on a computer and I don't like All-Stars.

false edit: But now I see that this game is extremely rare. Oh, well, maybe next re-release.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good chunk of the bit Generations titles have been knocked down to only $15. A couple of them (Orbital + Coloris) are still $25. Are those 2 more special than the others?

I am very close to biting on getting these imports. Now seems to be a good time to get them if anyone else has been mulling over it like I have.

The log of importy things I want just keeps on building here! Monster World, Treasure Box, Tengoku, yeesh!
aerisdead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should get Soundvoyager, at least.

It's really good.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, SoundVoyager is something very unique and special, which I talked about in issue 7. If you're only going to get one of them that goes to the top of the list. Important note: You need to be able to use stereo headphones to get the most from it.

Also, I've been kind of covering these in the "what game you played today" thread. I should probably transport some of my impressions.

Coloris is one that I'm kind of working on, but it's really hard after a certain point. The way it uses colors and the "connect three" style of puzzle games is just, well, it makes my brain hurt.

If there is one not to get, it's Boundish. That is, unless you really, really love pong.

I just ordered Digidrive, Orbital, and Dialhex to finish off all the games I'm interested in playing.

Fake edit for Dot Stream impressions:

Ok, so, like, you know how I wasn't really digging Dot Stream?

I think it's fantastic.

It grew on me little by little and all of a sudden I realized that I was playing it like I would listen to a CD. Then I got past the second GP set and moved onto the third and final GP set.

Oh god! The music and level design comes to a huge climax with these. I only cleared about 3 of the 10 drawings on my first try. But I had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

It's a shame that this isn't instantly aparent in the game.

With that said, I think part of the initially disappointing nature of Dot Stream is that it’s hardly a racing game at all. It’s more like a drawing/momentum game. The name makes a lot more sense when you actually figure out how to play the game.

Initially I was under the impression you had to actually HOLD a button to race. I later found out that holding a button just cramped my hand and did nothing at all. It’s interesting learning how to play the game because you have to use the “slip stream” from the other lines. This makes sense in a more realistic setting where cars are actually breaking the wind in front of you creating less resistance from your car so it can go faster. In the abstract setting of Dot Stream it becomes this weird sort of learning how to follow the lines and keep your “stream” bar up.

There is also more to the game than just knowing the course and which route to take. You have to also know what route the other lines take. On top of that you have to know how and when to best overtake the opponent and how best to abuse the minimal power-ups. Then the game will mess with you and throw in a level where you have to completely disregard everything you know and you have to use the terrain to your advantage.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
If there is one not to get, it's Boundish. That is, unless you really, really love pong.

Boundish apparently isn't too bad in multiplayer, but I can vouch for Shaper that it sucks in single. Of course, playing in Multiplayer requires two GBAs, a link cable (or two GBA wireless adapters!), and another sucker dumb enough to buy Boundish.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stil find myself going back to coloris. While I was able to complete the levels with more colors, I usually go back and play the levels with fewer colors because they don't drive me nuts and it's just sort of fun and casual. And that's what the game is about. You can't really formulate a strategy, and I think you would have to be a serious idiot savant to be able to spot any combos you could pull off when all three primaries are in the mix, so you're just constantly reacting, one turn at a time, by finding which colors are closest to matching.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
I think you would have to be a serious idiot savant to be able to spot any combos you could pull off when all three primaries are in the mix, so you're just constantly reacting, one turn at a time, by finding which colors are closest to matching.

This sums up the game perfectly!

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for any of you who bought things yesterday. I mislead you

Play-Asia is having a crazy week now! Everything (except stuff released in the last 30 days) is 20% off. Bit Generation titles are only $12 now, Tengoku is only $30! Some good stuff to be had!

Now if only things can stay in stock until payday!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:(

I just bought a bunch of things and could have saved on most of them. (though I should have them on my doorstep soon, so I guess that time=money)

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, So I have now officially spent at least an hour with every game in the series aside from Boundish (which I have played, just not for at least an hour).

Waiting it out and getting the bulk of the series for about $80 or so was really worth it. I hate to be so superficial, but the packaging really makes taking the price hit not so bad. Had these been available for $15 each in the US I would have been slowly picking them up over time.

The games range from decent and interesting, to very good and deep. Sound Voyager is still my favorite of the bunch because it examines something most games ignore. After that game I have no idea how I would organize things.

Digidrive is… well, I don’t really know. It’s a game about sorting things. I think. See, it’s so abstract in what it’s trying to do that I still feel like I have no idea what’s going on or if I’m playing it right even after a couple hours with it recently. I need to put more time into the game.

Dialhex is fantastic. It’s like Hexic (HD!) but fun. My first time playing I had no idea what the heck I was doing. By my third round I was frantically attempting to make these same colored hexagons. It reminds me of what coloris is doing with color, but since it’s more free form it allows for a much different style of manipulation. The sound design is so well done that it reminds me of playing with blocks as a kid, or later in life playing with those tantagram (?) puzzles. I kind of feel deeply in love with this game last night, something that hasn’t happen with me and a puzzle game in a long time. I was sad that when I stopped last night because I was literally so tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open.

Coloris is very good for a puzzle game. It’s easily the most “standard” game in the bunch. It’s a twist on the connect three syle of casual games, but it’s trying to do much more than just making you connect three. It’s trying to make you deal with colors in a way that you’re just not use to. On top of that it’s trying to make you screw up, and brutally punishes you when that happens. The game is a cruel mistress. I’m stuck somewhere in the basic puzzles, but they’re about as far from “basic” as I can think.

I put a lot of time into Orbital a while back when I borrowed Wes’ copy of the game. I never felt like I knew what I was doing. I guess that’s what it was aiming for at times. But I also mean that I kept forgetting which button did what (attract or repel, I would get them mixed up). I’m going to start playing that after I put some more time into these other games first.

SuperWes wrote:
Of course, playing in Multiplayer requires two GBAs, a link cable (or two GBA wireless adapters!), and another sucker dumb enough to buy Boundish.

I just did a bit of hunting on the series, and apparently boundish only needs one cart, where all the other games need two for multi-play in the bit generations series.

At this point I kind of want boundish just for the box though.

dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch a playthrough of a high score on digidrive to get a sense of what it should look like when you're playing. The game does sort of let you know how you're doing by awarding you with new skins though.

The thing that bothered me about dialhex, besides the fact that I just didn't enjoy it, was that I felt like I had played the exact same game before.

Orbital is probably my least favorite game of the bunch though. It has the worst graphics, the controls don't feel right (it never feels clear how the increase in gravity is going to affect how your planet reacts). It's a great idea, and it I was really hoping for a lot from this one, but I felt it completely failed to deliver.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
The thing that bothered me about dialhex, besides the fact that I just didn't enjoy it, was that I felt like I had played the exact same game before.

You did! With all your friends in elementary school.

dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dmauro wrote:

You did! With all your friends in elementary school.

What was the game?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocks

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last night after finishing a fairly large project I put Digidrive back in. I broke 2000 on my second try, and it wasn't that hard really. The game gets pretty intense.

Anyways, I opened a TON of skins with that, some of which are very, very awesome and make the colors of the differnt shapes easier to see. I also opened a new song. I had originally dismissed the music in the game as being uninteresting and simple, but I finally played with a set of headphones last night and the music is actually really well implemented into Digidrive .

I am starting to enjoy just how abstract this game really is. It's much better than my first impressions of the game.

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i told you! lumines!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
i told you! lumines!

Huh? Lumines gets worse the more you play it.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ethoscapade wrote:
i told you! lumines!

That's not true at all.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Ethoscapade wrote:
i told you! lumines!

That's not true at all.

Well, it gets better at first, and then you get too good and it takes the game SIX HOURS to start getting somewhat challenging which makes it not so fun.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Well, it gets better at first, and then you get too good and it takes the game SIX HOURS to start getting somewhat challenging which makes it not so fun.

Exactly! Couple that with the fact that you can't randomize the order of the songs and you have me not really playing the game at all.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did either of you play Vs. CPU mode?
aerisdead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still loving Soundvoyager. I think the levels that aren't Sound Catcher levels are underrated. They're not as good, but they're still fun, and feel like ninja training!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieve Coloris, Electroplankton and Rhythm Tengoku through the post yesterday. It was a good day for obscure, overlooked sound-based handheld Nintendo games!

I've got a question regarding Coloris... does anyone consider the score mode to be any good? It's too hard to lose, so it seems like you just carry on playing until you get bored of it. It feels aimless. The score just seems to correlate to how much time you're willing to put into it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

score mode is boring. i just replay the stages.

i played some digidrive last night. it seemed like a a mechanical sorting excersize, but there are clearly nuances to the gameplay i havn't grasped yet.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i played some digidrive last night. it seemed like a a mechanical sorting excersize, but there are clearly nuances to the gameplay i havn't grasped yet.

Have you watched the superplay on YouTube? That shows you a pretty nice trick and it shows you how to manage the fuel tanks (which is probably the part you feel like you haven't grasped yet).

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to beat Coloris. I'm on the last set of colors (the 15 color, color wheel) and it's ridiculous. I've beat all of the advance that I've opened so far, but I don't think I'm going to finish this game. The last color wheel (the 9 color, color wheel) was really, really, really, hard.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to finish it, matt! the ending is great.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
you need to finish it, matt! the ending is great.

It's not that I don't want to, I'm just pretty sure I can't.

dmauro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Puzzle Quest was more like Coloris.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coloris is probably the most gorgeous puzzle game there is.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how it seems to be designed to be looked at with your console, rather than the screen being a window into a seperate world. It makes your DS/ Gameboy into a beautiful object, rather than just being a beautiful thing on your DS screen.

Having said that, I was thinking that if Coloris was called 'Kirby's Rainbow Dream Blocks' I probably wouldn't want to play it. Although it's my favorite game of the Bit Generations series in terms of gameplay, I still think it's the graphics and style that are its main appeal.

My housemates haven't really touched it, and they're not people to ever play a game for it's own sake. They're in love with Rhythm Tengoku, though!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Having said that, I was thinking that if Coloris was called 'Kirby's Rainbow Dream Blocks' I probably wouldn't want to play it. Although it's my favorite game of the Bit Generations series in terms of gameplay, I still think it's the graphics and style that are its main appeal.

it's the sound, too! the little bleeps and bloops are really pleasing; it's like tinkering with electroplankton or playing otocky. and they go o so well with the chill visuals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
I wish Puzzle Quest was more like Coloris.

yeah, it's kind of funny how rarely i/we play such under(apathetically)produced games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: