The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E3 is over? Maybe? No?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: E3 is over? Maybe? No? Reply with quote

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2

"Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing."

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=24196

"Most agree that E3 is an excellent event and not in any danger, but in current market conditions it would appear that everything has to be challenged."

Make up your minds!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just say that this seems quite unlikely

We will see on Monday though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To think, I might have to venture to Baton Rouge to hang out with you! Inconceivable!

I know that in 2005 the trade papers were had a bunch of companies upset at the cost, so I can see, and understand, a more lowkey approach being the way most want it to go. It's also one of the few times you see a concentration of media attention on gaming in a light that's mostly positive, talking about the huge numbers of interested parties, deals being done, and the general robustness of the industry. I think a break is entirely possible now with PAX being as big as it is and with what seems to be a very organized crew, giving gamers a place to go just to try stuff and talk to reps.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you implying that PAX is the next E3? Is that even possible?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
To think, I might have to venture to Baton Rouge to hang out with you! Inconceivable!

Actually... I am perminantly in St. Louis now : (

ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wa? BOOOOOOOOOO!

I think PAX is a pretty good base for an alternative to the non-industry attendees. It's not E3 size, with E3 having roughly 6x more people, but I'm talking about splitting the attendees up into those there for business and those there for fun. You don't need nearly the same presentation for press/distributors/publishers as you do for gamers, and the gamers don't require too much to begin with; I think it's the mixing of two is why you see the budgets balloon and the production values going way too high.

As of now, E3 is shrinking and PAX is growing. E3 2006's figures are down 10,000 from 2005, while PAX 2005 was triple that of 2004. While not nearly equal, it does show that the administrative end has actually been preparing for what could be happening - a downshift in one and an increase in the other. This won't happen next year, but the trend (admittedly not enough time/events have passed for a more concrete estimation) indicates that there would be a leveling off within a few years.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately I'd like to see game shows turn into devs and publishers showing up with videos and playable demos and a speech for their turn on the podium, minus all the bells and whistles which are where the costs are for them, and really only serve to entice big "proper" journalists who aren't much a part of the scene. And if they want to cut the show down to only those types attending I think it's a colossal mistake.

I mean, we're in the age of blog and all; how many of you here learned anything new about E3 with the print magazines that hit two weeks after the show closed? Better and cheaper (and really more thorough) to let the internet fan collective do that work for you, perhaps leaving the big sites and magazines to reproduce the official company line.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
I mean, we're in the age of blog and all; how many of you here learned anything new about E3 with the print magazines that hit two weeks after the show closed? Better and cheaper (and really more thorough) to let the internet fan collective do that work for you, perhaps leaving the big sites and magazines to reproduce the official company line.

Well, I feel like I should point out that we are not really the aim of the advertising that E3 goes through. Well, some of it. That is when games are announced, but aside from that we know about a good half of the games. The real reason is to get the people who thumb through a magazine, or who sometimes go to 1up and the like. Also, the 360 had broadcasts on it with what was going on. So, I mean, even my parents hear about E3 on the news and ask me about what is going on with it, and occasionally even my dad asks me about "stock tips" based on the forecast from E3. The main impact from E3 is not "us" but everyone else.

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't believe i hadn't gotten wind of this until today.

i guess i kept seeing all these topics with "E3" in the title and said "bah, e3 is a fiasco and i don't care".

little did i know!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, I mean, even my parents hear about E3 on the news and ask me about what is going on with it, and occasionally even my dad asks me about "stock tips" based on the forecast from E3. The main impact from E3 is not "us" but everyone else.

Yeah, and it's primarily for distributors and publishers. It just happens that setting is very convenient for press to meet, get updates, and check everything out directly from the developers in either pre-fabbed packages or through direct demonstrations. Behind Activision's counter, a good chunk of the people standing around and chatting were investors, and during a Konami tour I was with the VP of AOL's gaming division. It's also why a lot of the quick tours sound like sales pitches; a good one often covers something investors, journalists, and fans want to hear, without being too general or too specific. It's just a lot of that gets lost when you're trying to hear it five feet from a mini movie theater and stage that has barely clothed women throwing out free shirts to a group of people who act like a shirt is going to save their lives.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
barely clothed women throwing out free shirts to a group of people who act like a shirt is going to save their lives.

MAYBE THEY HAVE VERY SENSITIVE SKIN OK?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm saying; the excess bling doesn't actually attract or inform any of the attendees that do anything to help these companies out. It just draws ridiculous fanboys like moths to a lightbulb. The Nintendo booth didn't have 4 hour lines waiting to see their shiny pavilion; they were there to play with a new console on a screen. They could have ditched the entire 5-6 figure construction cost, made the thing out of plywood and sharpied "Nintendo booth" on the side and gotten the same result. An exaggeration, sure, but really all these companies need is a clean, ordered presentation with some employees standing nearby to answer questions and dish out lite marketing. I'm just not seeing that neon will get you anywhere.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridiculous fanboys are like the bacteria in a water supply. they seem insignificant and kind of gross, but not only can they get out of hand and cause havoc, but their absence is significantly damaging to an ecosystem as well.

and never, ever overestimate the draw of spectacle. you want people thinking lofty thoughts about your products, to form emotional attachments with your company and your brands, etc.

hey, i think it's fucking weird too, but i don't make the rules. did nintendo need to make that classic character collage that got posted on ic for the wii downloadable content thingamabobby? no. very few modern gamers are going to be able to figure out who's who and what's what, or me for that matter - but for those people who can, those who see "oh shit that's xyz!" an attachment has been made that's both emotional and significant.

and that's worth its nerd weight in gold.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that illustration is actually from Nintendo's marketing department, but your point is well taken.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit man, if it's not from nintendo my point is doubly taken. they're doing the marketing for them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the press release:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Entertainment Software Association Announces Evolution of E3Expo for 2007
E3Expo 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 31, 2006--To better address the needs of today's global computer and video game industry, the 2007 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo) is evolving into a more intimate event focused on targeted, personalized meetings and activities, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.

"The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago. At that time we were focused on establishing the industry and securing orders for the holiday season," said Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, the trade association representing U.S. computer and video game publishers and the owner of E3Expo. "Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program, including higher quality, more personal dialogue with the worldwide media, developers, retailers and other key industry audiences."

The new E3Expo will take shape over the next several months. As currently envisioned, it will still take place in Los Angeles, described by ESA as a "great and supportive partner helping to build E3." It will focus on press events and small meetings with media, retail, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, E3Expo 2007 will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

"E3Expo remains an important event for the industry and we want to keep that sense of excitement and interest, ensuring that the human and financial resources crucial to its success can be deployed productively to create an exciting new format to meet the needs of the industry. The new event ensures that there will be an effective and more efficient way for companies to get information to media, consumers, and others," said Lowenstein.

Additionally, the evolution of the video game industry into a vibrant and expanding global market has led to the creation of major events in different regions, such as the Games Convention in Leipzig, the Tokyo Game Show, and company-specific events held by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and others around the world. As a result, Lowenstein said, "It is no longer necessary or efficient to have a single industry 'mega-show.' By refocusing on a highly-targeted event, we think we can do a better job serving our members and the industry as a whole, and our members are energized about creating this new E3."

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's pretty crazy. I wonder if any of us will be allowed to go next year. I wonder if it will even be worth going to. Sucks.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty much what I expected. Also, I don't doubt that we will be able to get in... I am more just curious as to what we will find when we get there.

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, having never been to E3, I think this is a move in the right direction.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
did nintendo need to make that classic character collage that got posted on ic for the wii downloadable content thingamabobby?

What the heck is this now?

Also, Modest Mouse's "Float On" was playing in the Nintendo booth. It made me go o_0.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good riddance.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E3 was defeated, but the soul still burns.

All in all, I think this was the way to go, not just for the developers themselves but for gamers everywhere. What does it say about us when our hobby's yearly hype show has devolved into nothing but a parade of homogenous models and flashy lights?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

history will recognize the gamer's quarter E3 report 2006 as the definitive retrospective on the exposition.
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should remarket the issue as the "FINAL E3 DEFINITIVE EDITION" issue!

Maybe as a little sticker that we put on all the print copies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
The Nintendo booth didn't have 4 hour lines waiting to see their shiny pavilion; they were there to play with a new console on a screen. They could have ditched the entire 5-6 figure construction cost, made the thing out of plywood and sharpied "Nintendo booth" on the side and gotten the same result. An exaggeration, sure, but really all these companies need is a clean, ordered presentation with some employees standing nearby to answer questions and dish out lite marketing.
From reports, it sounds like it was a 7-8 figure cost for the majors. 50 million dollars will (as I've posted elsewhere) give you a reasonable television ad buy, plenty of cash to support servers to distribute your videos and demos to the people, and leave more than enough money to pay the strippers too.

My personal opinion is that the consolidation and rise of the franchise have occurred primarily during E3's term in office, if you will. I'm not saying that one caused the other, but I do think that there is a feedback effect. As the room fills with more voices, more chaos and confusion, only the loudest voices can attract attention to their products, their game ideas, and their studios.

Getting rid of E3 (as it was known) may well be the best thing to happen to console gaming in years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about who this affects this morning. It seems to me like who it affects the most is going to be smaller companies. E3 is the one place where they were given equal footing with the big guys for a fraction of the cost (smaller booth space is much less expensive than big booth space). It sort of sucks for them. I'm going to ask BradyGames later this month what it means for them. They always had a pretty big booth.

The best thing to come out of this is going to be the change in amount and type of pre-E3 news. Instead of saying, "wait for E3!" maybe companies will actually start hyping their games early.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question: E3Expo? So it's the Electronic Entertainment Expo Expo?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. E3 doesn't stand for anything. Like SEGA. Or Famicom.

It's just a name. A brand. Like Band-aid or Popsicle.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
I don't think that illustration is actually from Nintendo's marketing department, but your point is well taken.
It's definitely not, it's fanart. Previously the artist posted a portion of it on a webboard somewhere. I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:

Both SEGA and Famicom used to stand for things (Service Games and Family Computer for those who may not know). So also E3.
Alc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was pretty much his point. Anyway, while Sega and Famicom get away with it, a name like E3 says to me "there are three Es here, and they stand for something". Calling the new show E3 Expo really grates on my pedant nerves.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The best thing to come out of this is going to be the change in amount and type of pre-E3 news. Instead of saying, "wait for E3!" maybe companies will actually start hyping their games early.

No, this won't happen. You know as well as I do that comapnies have been throwing private shin-diggs for a long time now and what happens when they are over? Nothing, the press that goes has to sit on it and can't say a damn thing.

Also, as I was talking with Wes about it (or perhaps Toups) this is going to really hurt international exposure too. I already know of one person who isn't going to make the trip because of costs for anything smaller than what E3 already is. So, yeah.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
No, this won't happen.

Ahh, but it will happen. There's no longer a reason for everyone to hold off their big news until May instead of just announcing it earlier in the year. There can now be big announcements at GDC without any fear of lessening their E3 showing, and first parties will no longer have to wow people by holding stuff off. They might replace it with, "wait for spaceworld" or something, but there's no longer as much pressure to have the biggest and most concentrated amount of news at once.

E3's also kind of interesting in that it gives each company a chance to play their competitor's biggest stuff and possibly see what their games need to do better before they hit the market. With no more E3, everyone will just have to use their imaginations or the word of IGN to know what everything plays like.

Everything's gone crazy! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Everything's gone crazy! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

Ok, I guess you win with a Ghostbusters quote.

Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Just one question: E3Expo? So it's the Electronic Entertainment Expo Expo?

a) They've been calling it the "E3Expo" since before this happened
b) They're now calling it the "E3 media festival" which is a much better name.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Both SEGA and Famicom used to stand for things (Service Games and Family Computer for those who may not know). So also E3.

Pretty sneaky, sis! You sunk my battleship! Sorry!

If my grossly inacurate statements as a form of mockery are lost on you, and... You thought I needed to be told that... Then fine, Goodwin. Fine.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
I think that was pretty much his point. Anyway, while Sega and Famicom get away with it, a name like E3 says to me "there are three Es here, and they stand for something". Calling the new show E3 Expo really grates on my pedant nerves.
Well, how about E3: Expo

The third E stands for Expo ;) Punctuation is critical.

DonMarco wrote:

If my grossly inacurate statements as a form of mockery are lost on you, and... You thought I needed to be told that... Then fine, Goodwin. Fine.
Factual mistatements as a form of humour is something that frequently walks right by me when I'm reading it instead of hearing it.

If I stay around, you'll probably get used to it eventually.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on holiday in Scotland for the last few days, totally cut off from the world.

I had the capital idea of going to E3 next year. Blagging an invitation somehow and using some of my recent good fortune to pay for flights and what-not. Go out for a week or two and take in some of the Colonies for myself.

Then I come home and check the RSS ticker tapes and find out they've gutted my dreams.

I AM SAD.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait, there's more! Word on the street is that Nintendo is going to be at E3 next year. That strikes me as a bit odd. I thought them pulling out was one of the reasons it was cancelled. The plot thickens....

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
But wait, there's more! Word on the street is that Nintendo is going to be at E3 next year.

True that.

It'll be funny if the whole process just snowballs to the point where E3 ends up being the same as it ever was.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bloody better!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
DonMarco wrote:

Factual mistatements as a form of humour is something that frequently walks right by me when I'm reading it instead of hearing it.

If I stay around, you'll probably get used to it eventually.

No you won't.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
No you won't.
You're right, I'll probably quit.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
No you won't.

He'll never get the joke.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
No you won't.

He'll never get the joke.

J. Goodwin's not on board.

BEES?!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if Nintendo's the only consolemaker showing at E3 does that mean they win by default?

I like this game.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it means they don't know any better and the only way they can pass off as a respectable company is with show business.

Like a carnival.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I think it means they don't know any better and the only way they can pass off as a respectable company is with show business.

Like a carnival.

Or like a bright, animated Kirby firing an uzi?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Nintendo's a carnival than does that make Reggie Fills-Aime a carnie?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog-Boy, Atlas, Half-Man, the geeks, the hired hands, there was not one among them that did not cast an eye behind, in the hope that the carny would return to his own kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: