The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late 90s 3D remakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Late 90s 3D remakes Reply with quote

Remember near the end of the millenium when they started remaking those classic arcade games in 3D? Hasbro was in on a lot of them, including Missile Command, Frogger, Centipede, and Pong. Defender got one. So did Spy Hunter.

I would have brushed the trend aside but around that time my friend and I spent a lot of time with Playstation demo discs. Centipede was on one, and by golly if it wasn't really, really good. I didn't play any others, but yeah. Centipede. I bought it for the PC nice and cheap, and I want to break it out again. It was full of bright, surreal colors and got ridiculously hard near the end. Which others were good? How many of them actually did a decent job reimagining the property?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sinistar remake looked surprisingly good, and I've heard good things.

I can't say much, but it looks like a nice balance of keeping the game together and still reimagining it. I don't know why I never bothered to pick it up.

EDIT: this comment on Mobygames makes it sound even better to me: "There is no plot, no story, the human has been completely removed."
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest 2000!

Kind of. Anyways, I never liked the 3D frogger games much.

I take it you are not talking about recent attempts like the really amazing Fantasy Zone remake on the Sega Ages collection are you?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Defender actually pretty good for a 3D remake? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a colleague who felt that the 3D Defender was excellent. Plenty of other people have claimed it to be "good" and a fair amount of people think it's crap.

I've never played it!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original defender makes no sense to me.

but hey, robotron x is pretty good!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Defender made loads of sense to me when I was a kid, playing it on the BBC Micro. One of the earliest game experiences I can remember.

I did hear about Defender 3D on Cube but didn't like what I heard, and looking at Metacritic there's two review captions right next to each other that look like this:
Nintendophiles wrote:
One possible complaint is that the game, for all its excellent aesthetic features and options, may simply be too difficult for the average gamer, even in the “novice” difficulty mode.
GameZone wrote:
The bad thing about this game is that it is extremely easy, and at times, will still feel a bit redundant.

I'm kind of intruiged to try it now, just to see whether it's too hard or too easy. The screenshots looked like Starfox/Rogue Squadron, but there's no telling whether that's a good thing or not.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Defender having too many damn buttons. It's probably simpler than it appears, though.

Asteroids 3D was pretty good, or at least I remember that it was. It's been quite a while.

Man, you couldn't even get away from Frogger 3D.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember having fun with frogger 3D's two-player mode.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I take it you are not talking about recent attempts like the really amazing Fantasy Zone remake on the Sega Ages collection are you?

I'm not, but tell me about that anyway.
Lackey wrote:
The Sinistar remake looked surprisingly good, and I've heard good things.

Damn. That's pretty. I wonder how well it would work? Sinistar was gloriously frantic, and 3D shooters never seem to get there.
dessgeega wrote:
robotron x

I forgot about this! I think I'll find a copy, just because it's Robotron.

I tried to reinstall Centipede and take some screenshots, especially of the penultimate world, but the graphics are glitchy on XP. Shame. It's a really fantastic recreation. You can even turn it into a space shooter by turning on fly mode and grabbing a joystick.

-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've made me pretty curious about centipede 3D/G now.

tempest 2000 is still the best game ever, though.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'all know this, but holy shit spy hunter 3d is crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Metroid Zero Mission count?
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Tempest 2000!

Tempest 3000!

Swimmy wrote:
I think I'll find a copy, just because it's Robotron.

Please note that Robotron 64, aside from being just a bit more polished in its execution than Robotron X, also uses two controllers, which just makes you feel like some sort of badass after the initial (short) period of adjustment.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Tempest 2000!

Tempest 3000!
Yeah. Jaguar followed by Nuon, Minter certainly chooses the obscure ones (current 360 affiliation notwithstanding). Perhaps he likes being known for the "best game on system" or alternatively "only good game on system".

Quote:
Please note that Robotron 64, aside from being just a bit more polished in its execution than Robotron X, also uses two controllers, which just makes you feel like some sort of badass after the initial (short) period of adjustment.
I'm sold.

Apparently Star Wars Pod Racer on the 64 has a similar thing, as an unlockable, where each thumb stick controls a respective pod engine. Pod racer is my favourite "super-fast vehicles with very good handling" game ever, incidentally (the PC version, anyway, it's one of the few games which handles far better on a keyboard than on a traditional pad layout, although it's not terribly easy to explain to why to someone who's never played both).
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the episode one racer thing with two controls! It's very difficult. You actually have somewhat more control than you do in the normal game mode though, because you have a seperate throttle for each engine. I've never tried the PC version though.

Also, it's my second favourite "super-fast vehicles with very good handling" game just because Wipeout seems a bit more coherent. Plus I was very into techno when I played it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

I'm not, but tell me about that anyway.

Well, it was released on the Sega Classic Collection for the PS2, or in Japan it was released as part of the Sega Ages 2000 collection. There is a damn good write up of the whole collection HERE. Really the only two things on this collection worth more than an interesting note are Fantasy Zone and Alien Syndrome. Though the latter is not a remake as much as a whole new game with the same theme, and it is really excellent. Especially if you have two players. It plays like Robotron too.

Oh, yes, Fantasy Zone is exceptionally faithful to the original, and the game itself still holds up really well today.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sega ages alien syndrome is pretty fantastic. i just got it this past week

i want to play tempest 3000 badly but i have no desire to buy an out-of-production dvd player to run it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would really hinge on if you already had a DVD player in the first place. Until I got my Nuon (the Toshiba SD-2300), I was just running DVDs off of my PS2, which is second only in suck to using a software DVD player on the PC. So it made sense for me--I got an obscure game system, and a real solution to playing DVDs. I can see how it would be a bit harder to justify getting one if a person already had a working DVD player--as cool as Tempest 3000 is, it's a bit of a waste to purchase a Nuon just for the games.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't get the PS2-as-DVD-player hate. I mean, it plays DVDs. It pauses. I can navigate menus. That's pretty much all I ask! (Besides, say, DivX support, but I doubt the Nuon would do that for me either.)

Pong is definitely surprisingly excellent. I've got Dig Dug Deeper around someplace, but have maybe spent five minutes with it.

Can I turn this into a general mid-to-late 90s PC gaming thread? Because you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of that stuff even on abandonware sites. I just bought Galapagos for $2 on eBay, and yeah, it's pretty bad, but it's a delightfully earnest sort of bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Honestly, I don't get the PS2-as-DVD-player hate. I mean, it plays DVDs. It pauses. I can navigate menus. That's pretty much all I ask! (Besides, say, DivX support, but I doubt the Nuon would do that for me either.)

One of my coworkers says his freezes at the layer switch on most DVDs, and often does not unfreeze again. That would annoy me greatly.
B coma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the demo of Pong and found it to be surprisingly charming. The music was good and the whole thing was very glossy for a PSX game.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Honestly, I don't get the PS2-as-DVD-player hate. I mean, it plays DVDs. It pauses. I can navigate menus. That's pretty much all I ask!

I've just got a sort of personal conviction with electronic devices that goes something like, "you can try and cram a multitude of features into a single (often progressively smaller) device, and what you'll end up with, rather than a device that performs a single function admirably, is one that performs many functions in the most mediocre manner possible." So far, as a generality, I haven't been too wrong. My problems were the PS2 freezing or taking a long time to switch layers, refusing to read completely clean discs that worked in dedicated players, and making an annoying crackling sound whenever certain types of text or subtitles would appear onscreen. The machine was never intended to really be a hardcore media player; the DVD functionality feels almost like an afterthought, just the bare minimum of time and effort put into creating a built-in DVD player that works, and nothing more. I mean, sure, if you don't expect a whole lot out of it, you won't be too disappointed (especially if you get the remote--what a world of difference that makes!), but after spending some time with a decent dedicated player, it's really hard for me to go back.

See also: Audio CD player functionality in disc-based consoles.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Asteroids.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

You can't tell me you're not even a little intrigued by Neon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
ApM wrote:

One of my coworkers says his freezes at the layer switch on most DVDs, and often does not unfreeze again. That would annoy me greatly.

This is the situation on my non-modded PS2. The situation was that I had a DVD player that stopped working so for a little while I was using my PS2 (which was still pretty new) and after only a month it started to have this problem. At first I thought that the DVD that it happen on was just a bad batch from the manufacturer... but then it was happening on many more DVDs. So, I used that as an excuse to get an Xbox at the time which I could double as a DVD player (which while better than the PS2 it is still not really acceptable).

GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

You can't tell me you're not even a little intrigued by Neon.

I would be, but I really have no clue what Neon is. Is it the Minter-designed musical lights thingie on the 360? That sounded like a promising idea from what I'd heard of it, which was very little. Isn't it just an extension of the earlier visual lights thingies (no clue what the technical names are) Minter did for the Nuon players?
Alc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon is VLM 3, which went into Xbox 360, and was based off his work on Gamecube. VLM 1 was Jag CD, I think, so Nuon would presumably be VLM 2.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's rather elaborate.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
sega ages alien syndrome is pretty fantastic. i just got it this past week

I should just mention (because I just thought of it) that the Sega Ages Alien Syndrome is not a remake as much as it is a sequel.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it's rather elaborate.

At the end of that he says, "We'll be bringing more Neon based entertainment to the 360 too Smile"

That sounds a lot like a Live Arcade version of Tempest to me. Would that sell you on a 360, dess?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted to play the mac version of lone runner 2 for like forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The isometric one?
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iso one wasn't too bad, actually. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't play for long.

I'm not sure what the Sierra one was...Lode Runner Returns or something? It was quite competant.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lode runner: the legend returns is excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
The isometric one?

yeah!

I've played the hell out of the legend returns! It's fun! I want an os x version (I don't know why, but performance with classic is really sup-par on my laptop).

.... I was just going to say that I'd play it more if there was a basilisk II worked better and had sound, but it looks like it was just updated! We'll see!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color depth alters performance with a lot of games under classic.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just having classic on introduces a stutter into the entire os. It's pretty annoying. I should troubleshoot this sometime, but basilisk II is actually working pretty well right now!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes I am behind on the intarwebs.
B coma wrote:
I had the demo of Pong and found it to be surprisingly charming. The music was good and the whole thing was very glossy for a PSX game.

PSX Pong was an incredibly endearing game. There is a story mode involving your paddle having to bust out of the evil brick oppressors' jail so he can take a rocket ship into space to save his girlfriend. Or something. It was all very clever and charming, with a rather challenging difficulty curve.

It hit the bargain rack pretty quick back in the day--who would want to play 3D Pong, right?--so my friends and I all picked it up and played the hell out of it.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Tempest 2000!

Tempest 3000!
Yeah. Jaguar followed by Nuon, Minter certainly chooses the obscure ones (current 360 affiliation notwithstanding). Perhaps he likes being known for the "best game on system" or alternatively "only good game on system".
Neon is a surprisingly fun toy/game/whatever. Being able to actually interact with it with four players at once is nifty.

I'm not opposed to remakes of games, my only request is, if they're doing it, please include the original version of the game along with it. I think that's reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I've tried the episode one racer thing with two controls! It's very difficult. You actually have somewhat more control than you do in the normal game mode though, because you have a seperate throttle for each engine. I've never tried the PC version though.
I forgot about that game. It was surprisingly good.

ApM wrote:
What's kind of funny is that if you have Media Center PC, and the right plugin, you can stream divx to your 360 and play it that way. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the plugin is a side project of a Microsoft developer.

===

Did anyone here play Battle Lode Runner on the PC Engine/TG16?

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Did anyone here play Battle Lode Runner on the PC Engine/TG16?

battle lode runner is stupidly fun.

hudson literally transposed the multiplayer of bomberman into a lode runner game. it is madcap fun-ness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
I'm not opposed to remakes of games, my only request is, if they're doing it, please include the original version of the game along with it. I think that's reasonable.

In Centipede it's playable, but only using the 3D graphics. Which takes a lot of charm out of it, so just play the story mode.

Also: I got it to work! Once I get done with other games, I'll take some screenshots.

-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: