The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call for help #2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Call for help #2 Reply with quote

Some time ago, I approached y'all for advice because I was planning to buy a dreamcast and wanted to make a good list of games to buy. Well, one botched skydiving trip and no dreamcast later, I haven't used any of your advice and now don't plan to for the conceivable future. Well, almost.

You see, a few of you told me I would do better to invest in a PS2. I had been thinking about it for a while, and I thought about it some more. In the end, I came up with something even better than investing in a PS2: investing in a roommate who already has a PS2. Trouble is, he only plays Madden and mostly uses it as a DVD player. (I like him because he's a good ultimate player, an R. Kelly connoisseur, and a Braves fan, not for his games.) So I picked up a copy of Ico last week and somewhat miraculously stumbled upon a copy of Rez today at the local EB Games (the girl at the counter told me that it had just arrived from corporate that morning and that she had never seen a copy of it in the store in her 2+ years there).

So I want to get a few more games. I ask because my funds are limited, and I want to make sure I don't waste any of them. (Note: I already know that I'll get Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari Damacy before too long, and I have my eye on Okami when it comes out.) Suggestions for PS1 games would be great, too. Is Vib Ribbon playable on a US machine?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't talk about Way of the Samurai enough. And then, there's always Steambot Chronicles. They're both good for almost the same reason.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sharc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, hm. i buy all my games on the cheap, so i might be able to help if you don't mind advice from a stranger. i don't really know anyone's tastes here though, so what kind of games do you like? i can make some generic blanket recommendations for cheap titles, although you shouldn't pick up anything on my word alone. so, in an attempt to cover as much ground as possible:

sky odyssey, ace combat 04, and skygunner are all solid choices for games about flying, in increasing order of explosions per minute.

if you like shooters, i would recommend gradius v and r-type final although for different reasons. if you really like shooters, get a copy of gradius 3 and 4 (if you can find one).

i'm not a huge fan of zone of the enders 2 myself, but the rest of the internet has a hardon for the game as a high point in the genre of mecha blowing things up. also relevant: robot alchemic drive; which is about hundred foot tall remote-control robots punching aliens in the face, and ring of red; which people hated for not being front mission but is actually closer to tabletop games like battletech.

if you enjoy action, then kill.switch and eve of extinction are both games i had some good fun with that should be five to seven bucks by now. way of the samurai is an interesting, although sometimes frustrating title, but its sequels lack most of what made the first game really special. can't really tell you which way to go with that series.

for rpgs, breath of fire: dragon quarter is sinfully cheap for how awesome a game it is, and romancing saga is apparently the most accessible game in its series with lots to do. rpgs are usually overpriced, but saga has gotten a bad reputation recently so it should be somewhat cheaper. magic pengel is also pretty inexpensive these days since a sequel came out recently; the game is essentially pokemon, only you draw your own critters using a simple in-game3d art system.

also, guilty pleasure: road trip. there's no scientific reason for it to suck, but it manages to be a surprisingly enjoyable little game about talking micro machines that drive around and have adventures.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's always the ones everyone talks about. The Metal Gear Solids, the third being my favorite, The Silent Hills series, of which I recommend the second. Beyond Good and Evil. If you haven't played any of the Grand Theft Autos and would like to, I've only played GTA 3 and Vice City, and of the two I like 3 more. Also, I'll second Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, it's actually my favorite RPG of this past generation. Finally, if you're going to be playing PS1 games, then I would suggest playing Final Fantays Tactics and/or Vagrant Story. Then, if you like either of them, it'll help you better decide if you want to drop the cash on FFXII when it comes out.

Also, on PS1, I can't really say why I've always liked it, but Herc's Adventures is fun to waste a few hours on every now and then.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sheer pugilism: God of War or Whiplash or Drakengard 2
For a vague pacifism: MGS3 or Sky Odyssey or Enthusia Pro Racing
For RSI: Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution or Devil May Cry 3 or Shinobi
For OCD: Phantom Brave or Dark Cloud 2 or Steambot Chronicles
For the wind in your hair: Outrun 2006 or ChoroQ or Skygunner
For the smell of burning rubber: Burnout 3 or Midnight Club 3 Remix or Twisted Metal Black
For the wonders of nature: Mister Mosquito or Disaster Report or R-Type Final
For things that go bump in the night: Silent Hill 4 or Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Indigo Prophecy
For things that go nst, nst, nst, nst in the night: Samurai Champloo or Beatmania or Space Channel 5
For something shiny: Jak 3 or Ratchet & Clank 3 or Klonoa 2
For something lumpy: Bombastic or Flipnic or Taito Legends
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way of the Samurai is a personal favorite of mine. I never tried the second, after hearing conflicting reports and it not being at any rental stores nearby, but the first has one of the most enjoyable weapon-based combat systems in any game. It's technical enough to warrant practicing with, and the variety that arises from how the various weapons and stances works into it makes it addictive. It's somewhat short, around 10 hours, but there are multiple story branches that arise from good and bad responses, as well as from inaction, which makes it pretty unique.

The Colony Wars and Jumping Flash! series for the original PSX are still two of the most enjoyable that I've played. If you're into rebellion in space and giant robotic rabbits going after metal carrots, then you've found some new games to play.

I also recommend Gradius V, one of the few shooters I enjoy, and Contra: Shattered Soldier.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can play deus ex if you haven't already. it's not bad for a console port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: