The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hacked Roms?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
This Ninja Five-O game sounds exciting.

It is!

Bionic Commando + Shinobi = Ninja Five-O

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must play it, then.

I'm guessing the local GameStop would have it cheap since they don't really care about anything Game Boy related other than Disney and Yu-Gi-Oh anymore.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I must play it, then.

I'm guessing the local GameStop would have it cheap since they don't really care about anything Game Boy related other than Disney and Yu-Gi-Oh anymore.

Occasionally you may run across a copy there for between 10 and 15 bucks. It's probably the safest way to find a legit copy. But just follow Shaper's advice and you'll be fine. Look for the embossed numbering on the cart sticker and the wafer inside the cart should have a white ©Nintendo sign there. Just inspect your carts before your search to understand what we're talking about.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! See also: gamequestdirect for the reprint! New in box, manual (which is awesome, by the way) and seal of quality and everything.

Rez is down to $33 there while you're at it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Wait! See also: gamequestdirect for the reprint! New in box, manual (which is awesome, by the way) and seal of quality and everything.
Whoa, shit! I may replace my cart only version with this, then sell my cart.

Though, getting that cart was a fun challenge in itself.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Whoa, shit! I may replace my cart only version with this, then sell my cart.

dear matt: i will gladly take your old cart off your hands.

love, dess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
manual (which is awesome, by the way)

This cannot be overstated enough.

Ninja Five-O Manual wrote:
Long, long ago in Zipangu, the wondrously mystical land of the Orient, there existed a most fearsome band of warriors known as ninjas. Employing the superhuman Oriental magic of ninjitsu together with elegant, even acrobatic martial arts, the ninjas were tremendously skilled in the art of death. Their artistry in the use of katana swords and shuriken throwing stars was said to strike fear even among samurai and daimyo nobles.

Many generations passed. It is now the 21st century. But the ninjas remain, training in the shadows out of fervent devotion to their accepted destiny.

"The path of the shinobi is the road to justice."

To better society and people from the shadows: that is the ninja's creed. And under the guidance of the ninja master, the disciples honed their craft.

But among them, there were those who turned to the ways of evil, drawn by the sweet tug of superhuman power and skill. Consumed by evil, the renegade ninjas break open a forbidden chest that lay locked away in their dojo.

Within this chest (named Pandra) lay the Mad Masks that had been locked away by the distant forefathers of the ninjas. Long ago, the sinister Mad Masks brought chaos and ruin to ancient Zipangu, unleashing diabolical forces. The country's feared oppressors--Kiyomori, Yorimoto, Nobunaga and others--were all said to have been under the control of the Mad Masks.

Tengu, Hannya, Kabuki and Dragon: the resurrected Mad Masks filled the souls of the ninjas with darkness, driving them to kill their masters, destroy their dojos and run to lives of crime...

There is a young student who trained at the ninja dojo named JOE OSUGI. A model of virtue, he vowed to put his ninja skills to good use for the betterment of society. He became a detective--he became NINJA FIVE-0.

To his horror, he discovers his elders have been drawn in by the evil ways of the Mad Masks.

"The power of the ninja must never be used for crime."
"The power of the ninja must be used to uphold justice."

Takin his master's words to heart, the young man makes a stand. Those who stray from the path of the ninja must be sanctioned by the righteous power of the ninja.

Sirens howl. The time for action is now.

Go, NINJA FIVE-0!
Protect the city and its people
from ruthless criminals! Uphold ninja justice!
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck in Air, at stage 3-1. There's a red pipe I can't enter, and the speedrun isn't helping me. I can't seem to get the jump right no matter what. It's at around 4:05 into the video. Can anyone help?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I could find Sonic Gaiden, or even simply a ROM hack database?
sharc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever air is, air parallel is ...moreso.

it is shorter and more succinct, even more difficult, and has an actual conclusion instead of a depressing ending and an unresolved cliffhanger. i would say that the last boss is about as dramatic as anything running in the first mario game's engine could ever possibly be. it may have gotten a little help from me playing the final mission theme from ace combat 04, but even on its own it's impressive!

dracko, on the odd chance that you remain stuck on 3-1 and still care about playing the game, i can advise. that trick gave me no end of trouble as well.

the principle of it is, when there's a coin immediately to the side of a block it interferes with collision detection. if you hit it just right, you will be mostly inside the wall when you grab the coin. if mario's body is far enough inside the wall, then the game will solve the problem by pushing him through to the opposite end. you can find an extremely engrishy explanation here. my best advice is, try to hit the coin so that you are near halfway between it and the block, but more on the block's side than the coin's. i tried perfecting it for ages but got lucky breaks at best. : \

the guy who made this has a host of other super mario hacks. one of these days i must try out his ikaruga-themed one.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I gave up on it, being stuck at that point, but I still have a save near that point, so I'll give it another shot.

It's oddly coherent for something that seems so chaotic and dependent on glitches only the most devoted would recognise. It's something alright.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread shouldn't be dead.

Especially not when you've got one of the earliest protypes of Sonic 2, including the Hidden Palace Zone.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I downloaded that Sonic proto yesterday, and, with the exception of Hidden Palace Zone, it's really not that interesting, unless you've always wanted to play an uncompleted Chemical Plant Zone (I can't remember if that's the name or not) with Sonic 1 music.

The whole bumping into walls thing was really interesting. I'm glad they took that out. It also seemed like Sonic had more frames of animation, but it could've just all been in my head.
Isfet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but yea, it looks like Sonic's jogging animation is different than the one used in the final version. on the surface, it doesn't seem like there's too much to this version, but it's certainly interesting to play around with. i really wonder what they were intending with the bouncing off the walls thing. i guess in the end they couldn't think of an actual gameplay function for it, so...

now, if only the Sonic 1 alpha could be found/dumped.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I missed this thread the first time around
Super Mario Clouds is pretty cool, very similar to that "just go for a walk" game...

http://beigerecords.com/cory/Things_I_Made_in_2003/mario_clouds_2005.html

I imagine its made the rounds here, but My Trip To Liberty City is another instance of just enjoying a game. It's not a hack, just a fan video "You know, I just didn't feel like it. I mean, it was, it was a great day, it was beautiful out, the sun was shining, and...you know...I don't even play baseball...much less wanna kill someone with a baseball bat."
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be very cautious about purchasing Ninja Five-O people! Wes bought a copy off of Amazon.com and it was totally nintondo. Most of the ones on eBay are nintondos. I ended up buying this game used with no box or manual because it was legit (so far the only one I have bought this way!) becasue they are that frustrating to find. If you are going to get a nintondo and pay someone to pirate you may as well just emulate.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was showing my brother a video of Air and VLC player automatically loaded the subtitles from Super Inframan which I had in the same folder. It was great; for a moment neither of us could understand why mario was talking about destroying the human race and conquering the earth while he skipped across blocks and floated through pipes.

Is there a demoplay or longplay video of Air parallel?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played Nude Punchout. A let down. If you're going to hack Punchout to make the characters nude, don't be half-assed about it. I don't just want to see Von Kaiser and Piston Honda nude- it's not truly 'Nude Punchout' unless every single character is naked. Little Mac, the trainer, the Mario referee, the Statue of Liberty in that jogging scene, everyone.

Also, let's have a little variety in the sizes of the dicks, ok, because what you've got right now is bullshit. Glass Joe has the same size dick as King Hippo, sure. It's not as if the character backgrounds don't give you something to work with. I mean, maybe there's a reason they call him 'Piston' Honda. Just put a little more thought into this, that's all I'm asking.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what about don flamenco?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Flamenco does this uppercut which he also incorporates into his intro dance. He throws his whole body into it, twisting his mass so he finishes the move with his body in profile to the camera. Now his dick is normally at 90 degrees to his body, so you'd think that when he performs the uppercut his dick would go to 45 degrees to match what we animators call the 'line of action', right? Nothing doing. It looks awkward and to the trained eye, the mistake sticks out like a sore thumb. I really hope they sort this out for the next build.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nude Punch-Out scares me.

I have to add, my first attempt at rom hacking was a nude Mario mod I made to entertain and shock some friends when I was 10 or 11.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I did like that was Doom Sim City where I imported the sprites from Doom into Sim City 2000. The houses were all health packs and ammo, the skyscrapers were enemies, right up to the super-skyscrapers which were the Cyberdemon / Spider Mastermind. It took AGES.

(and wasn't really worth it.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: