The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How simple can games be + remain engaging?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: How simple can games be + remain engaging? Reply with quote

I've been wondering about what I'd call a stripped down Survival horror experience, ie. how primitive can the graphics and sound in a game be, but when combined with 'scary' gameplay actually make a game a 'survival horror'? ie. scary to people now.

With a bit of tweaking I wonder if Pacman could be made more nerve-wracking like a prototype Manhunt. Imagine if the ghosts had proper A.I with line of sight etc, but moved slower and weren't fluorescent in colour.

What a Sinistar question!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like you should play haunted house on the vcs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does survival horror really need... well, horror? It seems to me that the basic idea behind games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill is that you've got a narrative path to walk down, with a load of obstacles in the way and very limited resources with which to overcome them. I guess it's like traditional horror films... the atmosphere is set by the protagonist's helplessness, rather than the actual imagary.

(Just so we're clear, I'm making this up as I go.)

So I guess you could make a survival horror game just by combining one of those Flash mazes (that, coincidentally, the internet likes to end abruptly with a shrieking, decomposing face) with a touch of Bullet Hell - tiny pips spawning around the edge of the area and setting a target for the player's current position. Like playing dodgeball on a tightrope.

I wonder if you could create genres based around other emotions - Survival Love, or something*. Give the player a path to walk and surround them with excellent temptations to draw them off it.

*I suppose any realistic relationship simulator would fall under this catagory - hoh hoh hoh hoh!
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, Pac-Man is basically survival horror already.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Survival Love

every day is like survival.

you're my lover, not my rival.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I was going to say that, but was unsure whether other people play Pac-Man in a carefree manner that I'm not capable of. It terrifies me.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the most amazing Cell Phone game yesterday. It's called Tower Bloxx, and it's the deepest simple game I've ever played. It's a mixture between a puzzle game, a sim game, and a mini game. You select the type of tower you want to build (from 4 types), then you play a one-button mini game to decide how many people are going to live in the tower, then you place the tower on a grid. Certain towers can only be placed next to other towers, making your placement important.

It's an amazing game that's almost worth having a cell phone for.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
purplechair wrote:
I was going to say that, but was unsure whether other people play Pac-Man in a carefree manner that I'm not capable of. It terrifies me.

You must play 3-Demon. By way of explanation, horror has to do with the way content is tied to presentation. Horror gameplay has less to do with the puzzles and narrative than the fight to survive and limited resource. I would consider entropy to be a prerequisite for this. Notrium is survival horror in the truest sense of the term.

Then again, I've never played real survivor horror games outside Silent Hill.
Alc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-Demon sounds pretty horrific. I may give it a go later with the lights off, if DosBox is feeling friendly.

I think the core of survival horror is prolonged anxiety. That's to be the main uniting factor - if a game doesn't cause anxiety in the player, if they aren't worried about what might be coming up, it isn't survival horror. Fighting for survival/limited resources are the means to anxiety's end. Spooky narrative and atmospheric music/surroundings are too.
rf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only survival horror game I've played is SH2, and I didn't get far. That said, I have a hard time understanding how so many people see the survival horror "experience" as so effective and easily evoked.

In both graphics and gameplay, most games I've played have been unable to surprise, in a certain way, for fairly principled reasons. With console game graphics up until the PS2, which is the highest-era console I've played, you can usually tell exactly how much detail is in a scene. Your eye roves the image and deconstructs it into discrete polygons and textures, and no matter what grotesque stuff the game throws at you, you know it'll lie behind that distancing level of physical approximation. Similarly, you know you're not going to be thrown into a really disconcerting gameplay situation, because you wouldn't know how to respond; you'll interface with everything you'll encounter in the same, mostly repetitive ways you've interfaced with what you've already encountered. (I don't just mean the controls, but the little situations games use, "fights" and "exploration" and so forth.) For these reasons, games rarely give me fear of the unknown--specifically, the unknown I'm wading into--because it has to manifest itself along certain, comforting lines. I guess survival horror is supposed to about the titular survival more than fear of the unknown, but this isn't always how the games themselves are described, particularly the Silent Hills.

I haven't played Eternal Darkness, but it's techniques sound like a way of circumventing this problem. Though as lots of people have remarked, they're basically gimmicks, and it would be hard (?) to go beyond that.

One thing I would like to feel from a game is the sense of "shit, I just did something catastrophic, or at least catalytic--and there's no game over screen." In other words, it would be nice to be hurled into some sequence I truly never expected would exist, but without it being some scripted plot twist that I'd get a whiff of, inevitably, because I usually do things long after other people do. And to have this happen in a scenario I have some investment in, not some arbitrary scrawl in a sandbox that's fun because of its libertine detachment.

This is only sort of related to how simple a game can be, but, well, whatever.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of that sounds like a function of how willing or able you are to be immersed in the metaphor though.

A book, for example, can generally only surprise you with content and not form (there are exceptions, probably).
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf wrote:
I haven't played Eternal Darkness, but it's techniques sound like a way of circumventing this problem. Though as lots of people have remarked, they're basically gimmicks, and it would be hard (?) to go beyond that.

Having played Eternal Darkness through from beginning to end three times to get the (absolutely disappointing but still cool) secret ending, you're right on the money. Eternal Darkness keeps you on your toes through a series of, ironically, predictable gimmicks that you can tell when are coming, and control the onset of. The first time through, they'll scare you and keep you paranoid, which is always great, but after a while you begin, as with all games, to learn the system and can easily avoid circumstances where you might get jumped with low-sanity kookiness.

rf wrote:
One thing I would like to feel from a game is the sense of "shit, I just did something catastrophic, or at least catalytic--and there's no game over screen." In other words, it would be nice to be hurled into some sequence I truly never expected would exist, but without it being some scripted plot twist that I'd get a whiff of, inevitably, because I usually do things long after other people do. And to have this happen in a scenario I have some investment in, not some arbitrary scrawl in a sandbox that's fun because of its libertine detachment.

I, too, hunger for this scenario you describe - but the replay value of the game would be decreased significantly if the same, or randomised, catastrophic scenarios happened randomly during the game. After a while, you'd know exactly what was going to happen. The sort of catalytic, catstrophic madness where you go "Oh, shit" only can really occur, dynamically and naturally, in an online, all-player environment. I just used EVE Online as an example in another post, so I'll use it again:

Wikipedia wrote:
One instance is worth noting where an independent industrial corporation was attacked by a military alliance to prevent it from delivering a prototype capital ship to their enemies, a demonstration of the level of interaction between the in-game economy and politics.

Wikipedia wrote:
Example: In May 2006, Reikoku [RKK] corporation announced that the Band of Brothers alliance had completed construction of an Amarrian Avatar, the first titan ever built by a player corporation. While this has not yet been verified beyond doubt, it is a very plausible claim. Several other alliances are rumored to also have titans nearing completion.

That above one is particularly interesting because the last I heard, the last people who attempted to build a titan-class ship had been mercilessly crushed by an alliance of players who could not afford the presence of a titan-ship in their system. That's an example the sort of unique, catalytic gameplay that I, at least, think of when I go "Oh, shit."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so disappointed with the "freakout" effects in Eternal Darkness that I think it discoloured my appreciation of the game a bit. I'd deliberately avoided reading about how they worked so they'd be fresh when I came to them, and when I did they were really disappointing. After the first time for each one, they don't really have any effect at all. I was quietly hoping for full-screen rendering changes (like the pills in Kula World or the mushies in Death Rally), done in a nightmare-ish way, though in retrospect my expectations were probably too high for a first-generation game.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What messes me up about Eternal Darkness is that they seem to happen sometimes when the sanity meter isn't really depleted...or am I just imagining it? I would have ditched the meter alltogether. If the walls are moving around or bleeding I'll probably realize I'm losing it. I don't need a green bar to tell me.

I don't know about you but the blurry PSX era graphics freaked me out a little. Especially the perspectively incorrect texture rendering that often resulted in surfaces jittering or nauesatingly moving in odd directions.

Silent Hill 2 is not horrific because of unpredictability, surprises, or the threat of death, but because if you empathize with the characters at all the content is extremely disturbing. To me it's not that the monsters are very threatening but that they inspire this feeling of disgust and dread in the pit of my stomach when I have to deal with them. Then again, I think how much you get out of it depends on how sensitive you are to that sort of thing.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I downloaded the most amazing Cell Phone game yesterday. It's called Tower Bloxx, and it's the deepest simple game I've ever played. It's a mixture between a puzzle game, a sim game, and a mini game. You select the type of tower you want to build (from 4 types), then you play a one-button mini game to decide how many people are going to live in the tower, then you place the tower on a grid. Certain towers can only be placed next to other towers, making your placement important.

It's an amazing game that's almost worth having a cell phone for.

Uncanny. Replace "yesterday" with "3 days ago" and this post is mine. Tower Bloxx is really excellent, and all weekend I've been wanting to start a cell phone thread cause of it. Probably the best $7.95 +taxes I've spent on a game.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
A book, for example, can generally only surprise you with content and not form (there are exceptions, probably).

Popup Books...

MAN!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see an unannouced pop-up book page in a novel. Although I guess the thickness of the pages would be a dead giveaway.
Six

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I don't know about you but the blurry PSX era graphics freaked me out a little. Especially the perspectively incorrect texture rendering that often resulted in surfaces jittering or nauesatingly moving in odd directions.
I used to find those traits annoying, but when I play PSX games now it's almost kind of endearing.
Years from now, I wonder if that sort of thing'll be emulated, just as 8-bit graphics and the like are now?

Also, there's a PC (and Xbox) game that nobody seems to have played called Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth that's really quite good. I haven't played Eternal Darkness, but there are definitely some nice sanity effects in this one.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played it! A few people here have, from what I know they just don't talk about it. I'm going to buy it when I think the price is reasonable (probably very soon).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: