The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Reading Thread Gaiden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace about a week ago, and am now reading Salman Rushdie's "The GRound Beneath Her Feet". that is all
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading a bunch of different books, including JPod, which I actually really liked, the Illuminatus! trilogy, which I also really liked, and A Confederacy of Dunces, which I also really liked! What a surprise!

In fact, all three are now in my top ten favourite books list. Somewhere.
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Jpod about? i remember hearing about it and thinking it sounded interesting, but I need more info. I forgot about what I'd heard, i think.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I fucking HATE Jpod. It's like a laundry list of issues with postmodernism.

So to answer your question, it's about how much of a coward Douglas Coupland has become.

Also he writes himself into it as a character. The nerve!
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you peoples read some bad books. On my way to work I enjoy reading "Taming the Tiger in Paris" by Edward Limonov (not translated, sadly).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Man, I fucking HATE Jpod. It's like a laundry list of issues with postmodernism.

So to answer your question, it's about how much of a coward Douglas Coupland has become.

Also he writes himself into it as a character. The nerve!

i just liked it because it was an interesting novel sort-of about game designers, a group of people that i generally find interesting
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronpatsy wrote:
i just liked it because it was an interesting novel sort-of about game designers, a group of people that i generally find interesting

See also: Masters of Doom by David Kushner. It's more based in nonfiction, but it's still a super-interesting novel about game designers, a group of people I too find interesting.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you're not interested in id software at all, Masters of Doom is well worth a look.
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
baronpatsy wrote:

See also: Masters of Doom by David Kushner. It's more based in nonfiction, but it's still a super-interesting novel about game designers, a group of people I too find interesting.

Yes. I have an extremely beaten-up first edition hardcover of that book. I've read it probably twenty-some times.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy has read illuminatus.

my work on earth is complete.

i've been playing the grab a random title from the shelf before i leave game and the last three before i left on vacation were beyond good and evil, the master and margarita and white noise. i don't really care for delillo but bulgakov is the shit, man. i still think nietzche is very readable as well, so long as one is ready for the crazy sidebars on the german spirit and how much women and democracy will destroy the tempo of master morality. not that he wasn't mostly right about the slavenmorals thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Nietzsches fun. Beyond Good and Evil is probably my least favorite of his that I've read though. It's great, but a little too crazy and sprawling. My fave is Ecce Homo, where he does a reading of his own work, complete with chapter titles such as Why I Am So Wise and Why I Write Such Good Books.

White Noise is a decent read, but a bit overrated. It has its moments. I don't really care for DeLillo much either, though.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delillo writes too much of that oh woe is my station wagon type stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god, the few things from White Noise I have read were completely awful.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

i've been playing the grab a random title from the shelf before i leave game and the last three before i left on vacation were beyond good and evil, the master and margarita and white noise. i don't really care for delillo but bulgakov is the shit, man. i still think nietzche is very readable as well, so long as one is ready for the crazy sidebars on the german spirit and how much women and democracy will destroy the tempo of master morality. not that he wasn't mostly right about the slavenmorals thing.

qft

delillo is fag lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's going to have to explain to me DeLilo's appeal. He's one of those writers I keep hearing name-dropped for no real reason, and it tells me very little about what he's about.
rf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a high school class, I once recommended that a friend write a paper about DeLillo. Crucially, I hadn't read any of DeLillo's books! (I still haven't.)

We spent a lot of time talking about how terrorism "creates something new" because the media reports on it, which is, um, like a protein, and means terrorists are like authors, and has something to do with Mao.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Pynchon releases his new novel, tentatively called Against the Day, in December.

Just saying because I just found out.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading Borges last night.

It's going pretty well so far.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Shaper's recommendations, I have called upon my heroic superpowers (inter-library loan) and procured a copy of Dick's Galactic Pot-Healer. I'm not terribly far into it as of yet, but... well, it's awesome, as can be expected. I realized with not a little bit of horror that it has been YEARS since I last read anything by PKD, and it took me a while to recall his oh-so-solid authorial voice. Nobody does utter hopeless paranoia quite like Dick, although 1984 came pretty close.

Also, The Game is absolutely awesome, but at the same time really, really sad in its utter plausibility.
dizzyjosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: i think this is the longest post i've ever written Reply with quote

oh wow you guys read good-- i have like twenty tabs open in firefox and two copies of notepad all generated just from reading this thread front to back.

rf wrote:
-The Iliad, for school next year. The writing is so "dogmatic," not unexpectedly, that's it's hard to find the literary merits, if they're there. Like most (all?) epics, it seems much more like an expression of a culture's values than an individualistic work with the power to question values, but I guess it's worth reading on that score alone, if you want to understand the Greeks. Then again, there haven't been many moments when the expressed values have surprised me--it's mostly "war is painful; being brave is admirable."

it is a poem (dactylic hexameter if me remembers proper) and a descendent of an oral tradition, and it was one of the first things we really got down on paper over here, so what does it have to rebel against except being forgotten? i suppose you're right: it does need a couple thousand years of historical context to have its impact on me, but with that distance oh man is it not a totally insane thing?

the first line is totally the key to the bookt: menin aeidie thea peledeoi achelleon. best translation i know of is lattimore's: "Sing, Goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus" but it is a sentence that is literally untranslatable into modern english on account of greek being cased and not requiring word order for syntax. In the greek, the first word of the first poem, the canonical origin of western literature, is menin, rage.so yeah you are mostly going to be remembering the stuff about spears through dude's heads and dogs ripping shit apart and rivers choked with the dead and completely pointless acts from the people who are supposed to be in charge. but damn if that stuff doesn't stick with you.

dhex wrote:

excellent work! i read that book when i was too young to get most of it and happily enough i...uh..i got most of it. my little brother started it right before he went off to summer school. and yr right, the baroque cycle does bear it more than a little resemblance (enoch root and all); but i think they both are kind of retarded and reactionary about sex. for all of their supposed 'intelligence' or 'liberty' it's mostly girls servicing men and getting off on that i mean hello sci-fi cliches. the line about the taste of lobster newburg has made me feel strange about crustaceans forever.

i am reading herodotus' histories again; it turns out it is a fantastic bus read. the weirdness and openness of the environment combining with the weirdness and the openness of the world he's talking about at that time and from that vantage parallel each other so well. my god i forgot how much i loved the scythians and the way herodotus is just telling you ridiculous stories and how he alternates from haughty to evasive. plus the egyptian guys whose job it is to travel from town to town and dig up the bones of sacred animals and bring them to the temples for burial! i know, i know, isn't it sweet?

the bus is fantastic for books, if you can manage not getting sick.

oh oh oh and i also always thought delillo was making fun of those people. maybe not? whatever, at least he's better than that fucking gorilla with hams for thumbs daniel fucking quinn who i hate because he's an interesting thinker and a writer who is made of....god, i can't even think of something sucky enough.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I started reading Borges last night.

It's going pretty well so far.

I started reading Borges again last night. It is also going well. Now I'm reading the Power of Myth, something that's been on my reading list for a long time. Does anyone else find this book good but also depressing? I feel the weight of history on my shoulders.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lobster nubergh is a totally gross food to the max.

Quote:
mostly girls servicing men and getting off on that i mean hello sci-fi cliches.

to some degree. illuminatus was also very transgressive for its time.

but for the most part i'd say it reflects a very wide variety of sexual attitudes, if anything it's kinda heavy on the sacred feminine type stuff.

if nothing else, i heavily recommend this because of the index chapter that's a parody of the end of ulysses. (the catechism? not totally here right now) it's amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: i think this is the longest post i've ever written Reply with quote

dizzyjosh wrote:
oh oh oh and i also always thought delillo was making fun of those people. maybe not? whatever, at least he's better than that fucking gorilla with hams for thumbs daniel fucking quinn who i hate because he's an interesting thinker and a writer who is made of....god, i can't even think of something sucky enough.

Yeah, Delillo's definately making fun. And hey, I liked Ishmael! For what it is.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read 1984 the other week for the first time since High School. I had forgotten like 80% of the book, and it was much better than I had previously given it credit for. I also finished the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, which deals with the same subject matter as Ubik (sort of) only it is much more blatant about it. I like Ubik a lot more. I am currently reading Vulcan's Hammer... which is really straight forward for a PKDick book.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Mir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Thomas Pynchon releases his new novel, tentatively called Against the Day, in December.

Just saying because I just found out.

I tried reading V, and stopped like five or six pages in because it felt like one really, really long sentence that I kept reading over and over again to catch all of the details that were always seemingly referenced a few lines later. It made my eyes bleed. Perhaps I'm just dyslexic! I think that once I finish The Master and Margarita, I might try to pick it up again. There are a few other books I'd like to read first, though, namely Kafka on the Shore.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I am attempting to wade my way through Nueromancer by William Gibson. All I can think is how it is not as good as PK Dick. Esp. in the conversation department. Stuff that Dick wrote in the 60's reads like more natual conversation than this does which comes 25 years later. Also the pacing is all... weird. I don't have any idea what is happening sometimes, but not because things are weird, but because no where near enough information is given.

blah, it's not that bad, I would just rather be reading some more PK Dick, but I ran out of books (not of his, but of ones I actually had on hand).

J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I read 1984 the other week for the first time since High School. I had forgotten like 80% of the book, and it was much better than I had previously given it credit for. I also finished the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, which deals with the same subject matter as Ubik (sort of) only it is much more blatant about it. I like Ubik a lot more. I am currently reading Vulcan's Hammer... which is really straight forward for a PKDick book.
Anything PKD is worth reading.

As I've read more of his older stuff, I'm amazed at how fully developed a lot of that early work is, in terms of keying in very effectively on the themes that he would also be using later on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, I am attempting to wade my way through Nueromancer by William Gibson. All I can think is how it is not as good as PK Dick. Esp. in the conversation department. Stuff that Dick wrote in the 60's reads like more natual conversation than this does which comes 25 years later. Also the pacing is all... weird. I don't have any idea what is happening sometimes, but not because things are weird, but because no where near enough information is given.

blah, it's not that bad, I would just rather be reading some more PK Dick, but I ran out of books (not of his, but of ones I actually had on hand).
William Gibson...I was a pretty big fan until I discovered Bruce Sterling. Gibson gets too much credit, I think. And re: Sterling, I like his books, but I prefer his short stories.

The interesting thing about PKD is that he wrote in very short stretches. He would write an entire book in less than a week. He admitted that he occasionally found himself basically just transcribing conversations between the characters who were basically voices in his head. He wasn't generally too happy with how his female characters sounded, except one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuromancer dragged for me a little at the beginning, but it quickly gets into an action-thriller pattern that's totally conventional, but (therefore) engrossing. It didn't seem brilliant to me, except for originating a certain kind of setting that I've already been numbed to, but it sure was fun. I also enjoyed the character introspection he weaves into the action, which is really effective and wards off the impression that the novel should have been a movie.

I'm reading Foucault's Pendulum, which is well-written (and not killed by the translation, thankfully) and entertaining. Sometimes it shows a particular flaw you often get with authors who know a ton about one area: it feels implausible that nearly all the characters, even those who enter the plot entirely by chance, seem to be equally fascinated by certain occult/historical conspiracy theories, just as in sci-fi worlds where everyone's technologically adept, even those who don't need to be. On the other hand, Eco is refreshingly good at creating conversations that both exposit information to the reader and feel like sincere exchanges. A lot of writers will use a format like:

Expert character: "Stuff!"
Novice character: "Out-of-character quip that prevents this from feeling like a lecture."
[Repeat]

Eco does it masterfully, though.

I'm also reading Consider The Lobster, a collection of David Foster Wallace's essays. The journalistic articles tend to seem, uh, embellished, and some of his arguments are bullshit (A dictionary that tells you how people actually use words is like an ethics textbook that tells you what people actually do!), but his style is hilarious when he hits his stride, like in "Up, Simba."
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nueromancer usually doesn't click, in terms of understanding "what's going on", until the second or third time you go through it.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished a few gaming books, actually. "Xbox 360 Uncloaked," "Opening the Xbox," and "Smartbomb."

Uncloaked is the best of the three from my standpoint. The others seem to be very position oriented, like they are attempting to make an argument or point about gaming in general, and are using the book as a vehicle to that end. Uncloaked is a much more straight-forward business and management book, which I really enjoyed. Reading Opening and Uncloaked together is pretty much required, IMHO, because you get to read all Microsoft's reasons for doing things the way they did, then you get to see that basically every assumption they made was wrong, and they basically did a 180 degree turn with the 360. Very cool.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be a review of uncloaked in this next tgq.

i tried reading neuromancer in high school. didn't work out.

went book shopping this weekend, and found some good stuff. a pet peeve of mine is writing in books, especially in pen; i know some folk find it easier to study or absorb using this method. to me it's more like taking a shit on your sainted grandmother's grave. plus it makes it difficult for future travellers to actually read the book.

anyway, i picked up a copy of the prince from 1952 for a quarter. it's got that great yellow-bronze cover and the 20 page introduction which is blessedly free of any hints of modern sensitivity. but the whole damn thing is filled with purple pen underlines and notes; worse yet, they are the notes of some poor soul who had just finished a freshman modern political philosophy course and had to read the prince after reading rawls or some other kindly soul. my favorite note is in a section where machiavelli rightly claims that without a strong state, strong laws are impossible. (i.e. laws are based on force, duh) and the poor purple pen weilder writes "that's too pessimistic" underneath it.

and thus lol's were had. poor kid. (there's also the chance it's some poor woman in her 50s who picked this up by accident to give her something to do between bouts of listening to npr or whatever constitutes soul death in upstate new york, but i prefer not to think about that)

also got time out of joint for a quarter and a really neat looking paperback edition of finnegan's wake from the mid 60s. the upside to park slope is that there's a fuckload of used bookstores within a few blocks, as well as street vendors and flea markets on the weekends. some dude with a van was selling what seemed to be every single fantasy paperback ever printed for a dollar each (4 for 3 dollars, etc). there must have been at least a 1000 books spread about on tables and in the back of his truck. it was nearly child molester-ish.

the weird part was that he had two hardcover books in the center of one table. one was called mists of avalon and the other was a hardcover edition of wasson, et al's persephone's quest, which is about ethnomycology. he wanted 14 bucks for it though, and i already have a copy. it's a very interesting book but it's fairly dry and doesn't ever get fanciful so i don't know why they'd try to bundle it with what i understand to be a pagan-feminist fantasy, except maybe the title.

used book shopping is one of those pleasures like walking around on a cold fall day at 4 in the morning when there's no one but you and the leaves. (but as always, stay sharp)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question is more whether strong laws are necessary to a functioning society.

I would argue that, when the society is sufficiently small, they are not. When it gets too large, then society will continuously trend toward increasingly non-democratic forms of government and ultimately to one or another type of totalitarianism.

We're seeing that here. It's been happening for a while, but I think people are only starting to realize it.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody read Walter M. Miller Jr's Canticle for Lebowitz? I did in 9th grade and, seeing it in the bookstore the other day, thought it would probably be something I could pick up and really appreciate now. But I didn't, cause I'm already in the middle of about a dozen different books.

I read Peter Carey's Wrong About Japan a little while ago (Powell's, the world's best bookstore, had just about everything he's written on sale when I was out in Portland, so I bought it all). It was an interesting read; an exploration of anime/manga from the PoV of an upper-middle class dad. He's certainly not producing great insight on the subject (and there are bouts of pure description of this or that anime scene, unfortunately), but that's kind of the point. It's more a brief memoir of his encounter with the completely different worldview of his son.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished reading the prince. purple underlining sucks balls. her notes were amusing, however.

re-reading steven pinker's how the mind works. he's an engaging guy, even if he overreaches with his metaphors sometimes (more common in the blank slate, which is also an excellent book, btw).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
just finished reading the prince. purple underlining sucks balls. her notes were amusing, however.

re-reading steven pinker's how the mind works. he's an engaging guy, even if he overreaches with his metaphors sometimes (more common in the blank slate, which is also an excellent book, btw).

I used to really be into Pinker, but I've soured on him lately. I don't want to get in some flame war, so I'll try to explain this in a short and simple way. This will probably sound like a full-on rant/attack, but I want to present my sincere opinion of Pinker.

In HTMW and The Blank Slate (less so in his language-related works), his main goal is presenting and defending a branch of psychology called Evolutionary psychology, which has gotten a lot of flack lately. This is fine, but he commits a significant sin as a science writer in never telling the reader what Evo-psych research is actually like: what does a researcher in the field do every day? He describes a lot of evolutionary scenarios that would lead to features of the human mind, but he doesn't clarify what Evo-psychologists actually do with these scenarios to produce true statements that go beyond what we already know. What I'm getting at: he makes a lot of claims about how EP is revolutionizing our understanding of humanity, but rather than putting the reader in the lab where this is happening, he relies on his footnotes: "If you don't believe me that this stuff is happening, check out the actual papers." This is different from most good pop-sci books about, say, physics, which convey the newest problems and theories to the reader as specifically as possible. Coming to the crux of this, in my experience looking at actual EP work, it is really boring research, IMO--it's more of a limited, incremental tool for standard cognitive psychology than some revolutionary new technique like Pinker et. al. claim. (Again forestalling an argument, I won't justify this unless asked, because it would take a lot of detail.)

One last facet is that a lot of EP critics have attacked it, not because it's oversold as science, but because it would have certain political implications (they say) if it was all it was cracked up to be. As Pinker shows in HTMW and The Blank Slate, this is nonsense in several ways. On the other hand, this helps Pinker avoid confronting EP's real, if less sexy, problems.

In the end, his philosophical arguments are great, but he makes them to support claims about a field of science that I don't think are true, while forcing the reader to take those claims on authority rather than on reason, because he doesn't give a clear enough description of the science for the reader to make up their mind.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree with that. the research is boring; the sexy part is fighting with the fuckwits who think study xyz means something politically. which is unfortunate, and i may have been genuinely naive, but in light of the utter pap which passes for scholarship in some of the louder fields (namely "cultural studies" as a whole) there seems to be several decades worth of arguing over what study xyz "really means" politically. i genuinely thought people like david horowitz were 100% nuts with no exceptions before my wife started her phd; it was a sad day when i discovered he's only about 75% nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have just finished Crime and Punishment. Specifically at 6:05 a.m. I really don't know how to sum up my feelings right now, as it is not appropiate for this Forum, and it isn't needed. All I can say is that changed my outlook on life and left me even more hard-hearted. The positives come with the negatives in this aspect. Next is "Notes fron the Underground."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next is "Notes fron the Underground."

that sound you hear is the universe yelling "OH SHIT!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Next is "Notes fron the Underground."

that sound you hear is the universe yelling "OH SHIT!"

That sound that follows is my brain imploding. I'm quite sure it should be something to that effect.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, if you felt hard-hearted before.

shit, let's list some merciless literature

-death on the installment plan
-naked lunch
-etc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Nueromancer usually doesn't click, in terms of understanding "what's going on", until the second or third time you go through it.

YOu are the second person to say this to me. I ... don't think that is good writing. If there is something extra to gain from reading a second time, that's fine, but just to understand it, you should get that from your first read through.
TheRumblefish wrote:
Well, I have just finished Crime and Punishment. Specifically at 6:05 a.m. I really don't know how to sum up my feelings right now, as it is not appropiate for this Forum, and it isn't needed. All I can say is that changed my outlook on life and left me even more hard-hearted. The positives come with the negatives in this aspect. Next is "Notes fron the Underground."

One of Silent Hill 2's main influences was C&P. I just learned that recently and had me interested in reading it. Then I picked it up and... well, no.

Also, dhex, is it ok if I recommend that he reads part 2 of Notes from the Underground before part 1?

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:
"]Well, I have just finished Crime and Punishment. Specifically at 6:05 a.m. I really don't know how to sum up my feelings right now, as it is not appropiate for this Forum, and it isn't needed. All I can say is that changed my outlook on life and left me even more hard-hearted. The positives come with the negatives in this aspect. Next is "Notes fron the Underground."

One of Silent Hill 2's main influences was C&P. I just learned that recently and had me interested in reading it. Then I picked it up and... well, no.

Also, dhex, is it ok if I recommend that he reads part 2 of Notes from the Underground before part 1?

It's actually part of an article I'm writing right now. Silent Hill 2 is a reversal of Crime and Punishment's themes. Silent Hill 2 has influences and similarties, but essentially is a reversal of the overall narrative. Crime and Punishment is a focus on suffering, but his actual social punishment only occurs at the end of the novel. While in Silent Hill 2, the punishment is quite apparent from the start. This is what I have gathered of course.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i'm not really into remixing literature and it makes more sense chronologically.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

YOu are the second person to say this to me. I ... don't think that is good writing. If there is something extra to gain from reading a second time, that's fine, but just to understand it, you should get that from your first read through.

Yes, it does indeed suffer from wonky writing. The game is better anyway, I find, and is well worth the download.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Yes, it does indeed suffer from wonky writing. The game is better anyway, I find, and is well worth the download.

Got any tips on making DOSbox actually work on my PC?

Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Got any tips on making DOSbox actually work on my PC?

Do you mean you can't get the DOSBox program to run, or is it just being inscrutable?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I tried it it wouldn't play nice with me. That was over a year ago, but it was on the same PC. I just couldn't seem to get anything to run properly on it, and my brain dumped all that DOS info I learned over a dozen years ago.

rf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, I want to finish Foucault's Pendulum before school starts, because I'll forget what's going on pretty quickly, and I'll be reading too much for school to want to continue it. I was really enjoying it for a while, but once the characters come up with a certain inside joke, it becomes nearly unreadable. It's all this dense, kaleidoscopic detail, and yet the plot and style both imply that none of the specific detail is actually important, but there's nothing else there, so you have to try and ingest it, or you'll effectively be skipping pages. Oh well, I hope it comes to something good in the end.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes more sense if you hang out with classical conspiracy theorists. (none of this namby pamby 911 truth / prisonplanet type stuff.) ever meet a bircher? they're like those dudes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 7 of 23

Jump to: