The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Jaffe Hates Your Stories
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: David Jaffe Hates Your Stories Reply with quote

So it seems that David Jaffe doesn't want to make stories anymore boo hoo. "It's too hard!" he sobs. "I just want to make pure games, that evoke those other emotions!" he wheezes.

David Jaffe sez (fo realz): "And the thing is, once you have the IDEA, your fun- as a designer- is really over." Ignoring for a moment that the man's approximation of an em-dash makes even me look good (hi Tablesaw), I can't believe what I'm reading here.

"Games take a long time to make!" he bawls. "I want a game filled with non-stop, testosterone-bleeding, epic moments of muscular greatness!" he exclaims.

Pardon me if I'm not buying it. David Jaffe, it should be known, rubs me in all the wrong ways (er...). His blog, a constant tribute to his self-important work (Twisted Metal? CRED DOWN), reminds me of a too-young-to-get-it-yet college student's MySpace page. He's going on and on about wanting to throw away stories in his games; I'm sitting here, thinking, Who really cares? Does David Jaffe actually have anything interesting to say anyway?

So maybe it's a good thing that he's foregoing plotlines in his games from now on. I don't think anyone will miss them anyway, as they're lopping off their 1,000th head as a beefed-up Cho Aniki lookalaike.
SJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: David Jaffe Hates Your Stories Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
So it seems that David Jaffe doesn't want to make stories anymore boo hoo.

I think God of War is overrated as much as the (seeming) majority of TGQ/IC, but this "new direction" statement is mostly aligned with my views.

Time will tell if he does anything worth the attention he has garnered, but I did like this quote best out of the post

"To me, most (all?) story based games are like taking a trumpet and playing it a little, but also using the brass exterior of the trumpet to carve a story onto a wall. Sure you can do it, and you may even have a nice story scratched onto the wall when you are done. But it’s not really what the trumpet is for and there are a hell of a lot easier ways to write a story. Plus, you’ve got this nice, shiny trumpet- which is now all scratched up- just sitting there, begging to be played, begging to be used as it was intended."

Games should be the trumpet solo that conveys the tale all on its own.

Last edited by SJ on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with him 110%. I've been saying that if you want to tell a story you should use a medium that's actually meant to tell stories for a long, long time. It's nice to hear that someone who actually makes games agrees with me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Content is the enemy, they say.
rf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring for a moment those developers who make games where the story is the primary purpose, a fun story can add a lot of motivation to a game, even one that already speaks for itself. Whether or not playing with some abstract system is fun, it can't hurt if the game reminds me that the system is really a metaphor for vanquishing evil, or whatever.
SJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rf wrote:
it can't hurt if the game reminds me that the system is really a metaphor for vanquishing evil, or whatever.

Agreed.
How it reminds you is the important part.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty tall order coming from a man who has yet to write anything worth a damn.

Half-Life 2 and Shadow of the Colossus tell their stories fine within the mechanics of their game design.
SJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Half-Life 2 and Shadow of the Colossus tell their stories fine within the mechanics of their game design.

Those are definitely two of the finest examples of narrative blended with mechanics. My personal favorite story told through mechanics is Rez.

Aim for the top, Jaffe!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I agree with him 110%. I've been saying that if you want to tell a story you should use a medium that's actually meant to tell stories for a long, long time. It's nice to hear that someone who actually makes games agrees with me.

That's... not actually what he says.
Jaffe and a Half wrote:
Well, wait a sec...it’s the path for me. For now. It’s wrong for me to try and deny teams that make games that are more of a multimedia mix (like MGS and TOMB RAIDER and even our own GOD OF WAR). Those games- for me as a player- ARE fun and DO work.

What he's actually saying is that he finds designing story-based games boring. Basically because he's incapable of being surprised by his own story and/or puzzles. Let's bust out the full quote that boggled Lestrade so:
Jaffey Taffy wrote:
And the thing is, once you have the IDEA, your fun- as a designer- is really over. If you are working in the single player action-adventure genre, and are fortunate enough to be working with a team that can execute the crap out of what you think is an amazing idea, you don’t get much out of actually seeing your idea executed. You get a little, sure. You get the little tinglies and such. It’s a neat moment to see your idea brought to life. But you already saw the idea, already experienced the amazing moment...but it was in your head months ago. Now it’s just a slog to execute the damn thing so OTHERS- the PLAYERS- can enjoy what you’ve already finished enjoying.

Damn those players! If only your job was just to think up cool ideas and savour them!

In all seriousness, this is a non-event. Designing the games you want to play is not exactly a new philosophy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some games out there with some pretty horrible stories crammed in just for the hell of it. I'm just saying...
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's execute the crap out of those ideas okay.

also the narrative potential of videogames is being squandered on cutscenes and dialogue boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ wrote:
Dracko wrote:

Those are definitely two of the finest examples of narrative blended with mechanics. My personal favorite story told through mechanics is Rez.

Aim for the top, Jaffe!

That too. Then you have old Jordan Mechner titles and a variety of narrative driven adventure games.

I agree with dess too. Although I can see how they're still useful, post-Half-Life, there shouldn't be cutscenes crammed into purely interactive experiences. Dialogue boxes are also seen too much.

Quote:
There are some games out there with some pretty horrible stories crammed in just for the hell of it. I'm just saying...

Yeah, that's about 100 poor tales to tell for a single good one (Not that that always assures a quality game, Martian Gothic). It seems the simple ones are the safe bets here, like the above mentioned titles. I'd like to see more complex narratives in my games, but whenever that's attempted, it all too easily picks at the gameplay. Culprits in this would be, say, the System Shock series, which I still find highly enjoyable and engrossing, don't get me wrong, but suffer from overly complicated design ideas and controls, or Laura Bow, which focused the game far too much on the plot (which was bland and nothing to brag about, anyway) and left you as a simple witness who couldn't affect the developments at all.
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go one step further!
Post-cartidge-based-storage, there shouldn't be cutscenes, and very few dialog boxes in games. If you can't explain things in gameplay, maybe you should seek out a different medium.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Final Fantasy VII
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
That's a pretty tall order coming from a man who has yet to write anything worth a damn.

I think that's his point, basically.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a hell of a roundabout way of saying it.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely related.
macdonaldez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, so do you guys think that because a game is a different medium, and has the potential to deliver narrative based entirely on gameplay, driven by the player, this means that it shouldn't include cutscenes or dialogue boxes, and such mechanisms for delivery of content are, in fact, a load of old shit, spawned by El Diablo himself?
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big-dream-game-which-shall-never-be-made (TM) involved not just a branching storyline, but an entirely variable presentation. So much of videogame "creativity" is based around the story, while the other elements of the game (what and how you're seeing, hearing, responding to, etc.) are taken as a given, probably due to our established cognitive links to art and storyform.

So SotC approached this on tiptoes, with a protagonist that noticably changed appearance to mirror his decline. But that in some ways serves to remove the player from the experience, thinking "Oh, he's changing." Now what if instead, the collossi, and more importantly the landscape all increasingly changed in appearance as you progressed. Wouldn't that provide a greater association with the (anti)hero and his plight? A greater sense of disorientation and alienation?

So no, dialog boxes/cutscenes aren't totally unnecesary, and they certainly have value in many situations, but using them as the sole narrative device is a bit like have the rest of orchestra sit around while the percussion section takes a (15-30 hour) solo.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
My big-dream-game-which-shall-never-be-made (TM) involved not just a branching storyline, but an entirely variable presentation. So much of videogame "creativity" is based around the story, while the other elements of the game (what and how you're seeing, hearing, responding to, etc.) are taken as a given, probably due to our established cognitive links to art and storyform.

Expressionist gaming?

Likewise, I can imagine an epic Dragon Quest style journey being played like Warioware, with things like fishing / hunting mini=games instead of random battles. To flesh out the other parts of the experience.

The thing is I can see what D. Jaffe is saying, something like Doctor Mario or Tetris or Streetfighter seem to be much better at being proper games than say Final Fantasy . In Final Fantasy the *game part* doesn't mix with the story it doesn't matter whether you are near dead, or full of health the story still runs the same. Dr.Mario is more interesting because you can have near misses where you almost complete a level but mess up at the last minute,. there needs to be games where it matters how you play. iE. When you get beaten up the characters actually notice and may try to help you out. (Show you where the hospital is). And take notice when you are good at the game too.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy is by far a large culprit in CG cutscnes over anything remotely approaching a thrill. SquareSoft would be better off just making anime. I can't see how anyone can justify their jRPGs as games at all, let alone interesting ones.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Final Fantasy is by far a large culprit in CG cutscnes over anything remotely approaching a thrill. SquareSoft would be better off just making anime. I can't see how anyone can justify their jRPGs as games at all, let alone interesting ones.

I disagree completely. Final Fantasy games themselves are much better than their stories. I'm convinced that the only reason people like the stories is because they like the games and haven't figured out how to internally separate the two.

Watch the Final Fantasy VII story walkthrough that they've got on the Advent Children disc. It really just drops right in your lap how bad the Final Fantasy VII story really was (but whatever you do, don't watch Advent Children). Despite how blatantly terrible the story is, the game still has a dedicated following that is really convinced that the story is one of the best gaming stories of all time. I loved the game, and probably would still enjoy it if I played it again, but I don't think I ever felt like the story was doing anything special. I just wanted to play around with Materia.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's regarded as the best because it was many players first RPG. Everyone remembers their first time experiencing something new.

Phantasy Star II struck a chord with me for the same reason FFVII strikes a chord with many people today.

It probably really is horrible, but it being my first game with a main character that died makes it special.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:

I disagree completely. Final Fantasy games themselves are much better than their stories. I'm convinced that the only reason people like the stories is because they like the games and haven't figured out how to internally separate the two.

Watch the Final Fantasy VII story walkthrough that they've got on the Advent Children disc. It really just drops right in your lap how bad the Final Fantasy VII story really was (but whatever you do, don't watch Advent Children). Despite how blatantly terrible the story is, the game still has a dedicated following that is really convinced that the story is one of the best gaming stories of all time. I loved the game, and probably would still enjoy it if I played it again, but I don't think I ever felt like the story was doing anything special. I just wanted to play around with Materia.

-Wes

But I loathe the story anyway (And I'd hardly give its following much credit). It's no better than any cookie-cutter anime plot out there. Where we differ here is that I find the game isn't one at all, isn't even interesting to play and is just as dull, repetitive and wasteful as the previous 6 games in the series, as well as the 6 succeeding it. How anyone can find this chore fun, let alone cry because someone ressembling a Christmas tree ornament gets pork-stuck, is beyond me. The gameplay fails to engross me into its plot, because I'm left modifying stats which really don't amount to crap, grinding through poorly designed dungeons, assaulted for no real reason, then have to sit through a fight which shouldn't last beyond 2 minutes become an unskippable quarter hour masturbatory seance where Square flicks the lights on and off for every single attack my little cut-out love interest or mute whinging arsehole makes.

I'd say Square should give up and just make CG movies to sell to a deluded fanbase, but they're half-way through that process.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
Post-cartidge-based-storage, there shouldn't be cutscenes, and very few dialog boxes in games. If you can't explain things in gameplay, maybe you should seek out a different medium.

You would deprive us of Phoenix Wright?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
a_plus wrote:

You would deprive us of Phoenix Wright?
Strangely enough, I usually loathe cutscenes, but I have a lifelong love of adventure games. Adventure games provide a false belief that the player controls, or at least impacts, the outcome of the "cutscenes".
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
But I loathe the story anyway (And I'd hardly give its following much credit). It's no better than any cookie-cutter anime plot out there. Where we differ here is that I find the game isn't one at all, isn't even interesting to play and is just as dull, repetitive and wasteful as the previous 6 games in the series, as well as the 6 succeeding it. How anyone can find this chore fun, let alone cry because someone ressembling a Christmas tree ornament gets pork-stuck, is beyond me. The gameplay fails to engross me into its plot, because I'm left modifying stats which really don't amount to crap, grinding through poorly designed dungeons, assaulted for no real reason, then have to sit through a fight which shouldn't last beyond 2 minutes become an unskippable quarter hour masturbatory seance where Square flicks the lights on and off for every single attack my little cut-out love interest or mute whinging arsehole makes.

I'd say Square should give up and just make CG movies to sell to a deluded fanbase, but they're half-way through that process.

Your issues sound like they have more to do with the RPG template than they do with Final Fantasy itself. It's hard to fault a game for continuing along the same basic lines of the genre it helped establish. And to be fair, if you didn't really like the other six games in the series you really shouldn't have expected to get much out of Final Fantasy VII either. The game follows along the lines of its predecessors, but for most people those are pretty solid lines. The series is derivative of Dragon Quest, yes, but it's more focused on being willing to try new things, and most of the time those new things are pretty successful when viewed outside of the context of the story as pure game elements. It's only when trying to place them into a context that they fall apart, and that kind of gets back to that whole core issue of trying to carve a story with a trumpet.

I'd like to continue this thread with the assertion that the RPG part of the Final Fantasy series is pretty much the best in the business. shame about the stories

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the cool kids now hate Final Fantasy VII. Come on man, everyone's doing it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, there's a game in final fantasy vii?

oh, well i guess that submarine sim counts.

(hi Greatsaintlouis.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

No, the cool kids are still blindly enamoured with anything coming out of Japan while having the gall to claim that the West has yet to try anything new.

SuperWes wrote:
I'd like to continue this thread with the assertion that the RPG part of the Final Fantasy series is pretty much the best in the business. shame about the stories

Then I'd suggest picking up Planescape: Torment.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see an RPG that focuses on integrating the combat - gameplay into the story / experience. It wouldn't be save the world, more survive in this cool fantasy environment. You would be able to brag about the amount of fugitives you had captured, and people would start looking up to you more.

Surely the true story in most (RPG) games is that of a) how you accustom to the gamesystems, b) how well you play c) the process of discovery and exploration.

Ie. Starting off as a 8 stone weakling getting sand kicked in your character's face, before becoming rich famous bad-ass explorers?
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few games are kind of like that: Mount & Blade and Seventh Cross Evolution immediately come to mind. They aren't in the traditional RPG mold, but still offer a pretty unique experience that emphasis change for you, the world, and how you interact with it.

If Mount & Blade had enough backing, it would be one of the best games to date of any genre. Even in its early forms I've spent over 200 hours playing it. It recently got picked up for Paradox's Gamer's Gate, but I don't know how far they are to delivering a product that those who haven't willingly sent promissory money on will enjoy.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dracko"]
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

No, the cool kids are still blindly enamoured with anything coming out of Japan while having the gall to claim that the West has yet to try anything new.

This is sadly the state of mind that most hardcore "Video Game" kids take. Now that you have taken the words out of my mouth I don't have anything else to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

I suppose our definitions of 'the cool kids' differ, then. Basically, outside of the collective unconscious of places like the GameFAQs or IGN Boards, I'm seeing this dramatic change in attitude towards recent Square titles in general, and Final Fantasy VII in particular. While I can agree with the questionable quality of the later releases, the backlash against Final Fantasy VII absolutely baffles me. Wasn't this the game that almost a decade ago lauded as one of the greatest titles ever made? An extremely subjective option, to be sure, but the fact is that within the past, oh, say three years or so, there's been an almost violent shift in opinion towards the title. If one didn't know any better, one would have to assume the game was greeted with such vitriol immediately upon release.
And that I suppose I could understand. If it was truly a lousy game, it would have been cursed as such from the get-go. I just have a hard time understanding the shift in opinion. Have the critics just become more vocal?
I've got a few theories, but most of them are pretty pessimistic and give said vehement critics little benefit of the doubt. My favorite is the 'punk rock theory'. As anyone who listens to the genre knows, its fans can be at best fickle, and at worst complete elitist assholes. A band can be the total darling of the underground scene--until they hit their major label debut, their radio single or MTV video. "Fuck man, I HATE those guys. They're such sellouts. What?? Fuck no, I never saw them play the armory last month, you've got me confused with someone else, I swear!" Since Final Fantasy VII, Square has become almost a household name--I'm sure you see where this is going.
Unfair? Maybe a little. Far be it for me to dictate what games people should or should not like (obviously!) and why, but as I said, the current vehemance with which the game is reviled now really made me wonder if so many people really disliked the game at first, or if there wasn't some sweeping change in opinion a few years back, prompted by who-knows-what. Either way, I must have missed the memo.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through Final Fantasy VII back when it first came out - ignoring the date to not feel older than I should - and had a good enough time with it. The only out-and-out RPGs I really enjoyed up until that point was Ultima: Exodus on the NES and Wizardry VI on the PC. It clicked with me. It didn't make me want to quote lines from it or think about it incessantly - for the latter I had Dragon Force - but I had my fun.

I wanted to replay it last year, but deus (deus, come post here) warned me against it. He said that any fond memories I have would be shattered by the poor localization, controls, silliness, etc. Or something along those lines - I suppose he'll have to come to corret me! ha ha! So I decided not to. I think that might be a problem with many. They have fond memories of game that, at the time, was something exciting for the genre and was for many the first RPG they completed. Going back to that and having it register as 'What the hell is this crap?!' is certainly to create some backlash. Maybe some enterprising folk are bypassing that altogether and just jumping to the 'it's crap!' stage.

I'm just going to leave it be and remember it as the game that kept me from going crazy after foot surgery.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm in a minority in that I didn't play it when it first came out. None of my friends at the time really had Playstations, and the ones that did weren't playing RPGs anyway. Mostly we were all far too busy killing each other at various forms of Quake. Mid to late-ish 90's era console games are things I've visited over the last few years, really. I played FFVII a year and a half ago, and completed it. So I feel fairly justified when I say that I don't see what the fuss is about. I understand the "punk rock" analogy and it's certainly accurate in a lot of cases, but that isn't to say there's not some truth in the criticisms as well.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I played through Final Fantasy VII back when it first came out - ignoring the date to not feel older than I should - and had a good enough time with it

Don't worry, I was right on FFVII when it came out as well. Granted, I didn't finally get a Playstation and the game until the next year, but you should have seen the fervor with which I bought gaming mags off the newsstands if their covers simply mentioned the title.
The funny thing is, prior to FFVII I had only played the original NES Final Fantasy, but I loved it so much that I just couldn't wait for FFVII.

Your comment about the game seeming better back then is one of the most common criticisms I hear about the title now (although I'd recommend replaying it on your own rather than just taking someone else's word that it hasn't aged well--who's to say that you won't find it just as engaging as nine years ago?) Frankly, I kindof want to call bullshit on that sort of "Well, it sucks now" mentality. How many games that we consider classics--of any genre and on any system--have truly aged well by the standards of today's titles? The graphics are going to be better, the sounds and music more engaging, and the writing, for those games with story worth bothering, is going to be at least more complex, if not necessicarily better. I mean, the original Final Fantasy didn't really have much going for it in terms of plot anyways, and it's even more obvious sixteen years later. Yet I still find myself from time to time blowing the dust off the old cartridge and kicking back with the game for a few hours. It's difficult, long, the sprites are blocky, and the "you can't save in a cave/dungeon/other place with lots of strong monsters" mechanic is still as annoying now as when I first played it at age 8. But there's something about the time I spent on the game back then, how the music is to this day burned into my brain, how I ran around the living room in glee after finally aquiring the Fire 3 (Fir3) spell--sure, I'm basing a lot of my current enjoyment of the game on my prior experiences, but unlike the insinuations made frequently in the case of FFVII, I'm not reveling in them in an attempt to cover up what is by today's standards a mildly dull game.
It's a sort of nostalgia-on-command--we're all much older, and of course we're going to be more aware of the flaws, the problems, the general silliness of those games we once loved, but that's no reason not to go back and revisit the games with the same enjoyment we gleaned from them years ago. It's easy enough to just claim one's tastes have matured and that sort of banal entertainment could never be fulfilling again, but it's another thing entirely to go back and revisit something one once liked in spite of so-called sophistication and other cop-outs.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macdonaldez wrote:
Er, so do you guys think that because a game is a different medium, and has the potential to deliver narrative based entirely on gameplay, driven by the player, this means that it shouldn't include cutscenes or dialogue boxes, and such mechanisms for delivery of content are, in fact, a load of old shit, spawned by El Diablo himself?
Oh god yes.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated FFVII. I never did it to be cool. In fact, I was a complete idiot back when I made the decision that I hated it. There I was, clinging to my Sega Saturn... I went to a friend who owned a Playstation's house and he had rented FFVII. All I remember is seeing some kind of CG movie and him saying "MAN, LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!" I decided that day that I hated that game. I blamed the game for my friend's ridiculous ingorance.

The game that made me buy a Playstation was Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
macdonaldez wrote:
Oh god yes.

I've got a soft spot for some cut-scene based storytelling in games, though. Wind Waker, Ocarina, Majora's Mask... the cut-scenes seem to be well placed and it's not intrusive to the experience - there seem to be just enough cut-scenes to tell the story. Also, the story is entertaining enough for me not to mind anyway. Tetra is such a cool character!

I'd go as far as to say it heightens the experience, but it's hard to say. You'd have to make a 'pure' narrative-free Zelda (like the NES version) using the Wind Waker engine so you could compare the two.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think cutscenes can only really work when they're actually cutscenes. like, cut-away. "meanwhile, it a totally different place where the player can exert no control."

taking away the player's autonomy over the player character rarely sits right with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean. What would you think of a film that had to stop and explain the story with several paragraphs of text every fifteen minutes?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think cutscenes can only really work when they're actually cutscenes. like, cut-away. "meanwhile, it a totally different place where the player can exert no control."

taking away the player's autonomy over the player character rarely sits right with me.

The worst game for this is Metroid Prime, specifically the last boss. The boss is jumping down a hole! Shall I follow, shall I hang back, shall I peep over the edge and take potshots, shall -

[CUT TO CUTSCENE OF SAMUS JUMPING DOWN THE HOLE.]

Metroid Prime's cutscenes are wrong on so many levels. There's one where she appears to jump like five times her own height, somersaulting all the while. Where the fuck was that jump when I was trying to get up that ledge twenty minutes ago, bitch?

dark steve wrote:
I mean. What would you think of a film that had to stop and explain the story with several paragraphs of text every fifteen minutes?

I'd think it sucked, but Wind Waker's (I'm keeping this as my 'good' example) cutscenes usually drive the story forward, rather than explain it.

I do agree that it's better when games incorporate the storytelling into the gameplay, though.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, strictly speaking, you COULD have cutscenes and it wouldn't negatively impact the game, in the same way that it's not completely implausible to think up a film where you can replace scenes with text (or add SOUND and COLOR OH YIKES) and it would mesh for whatever reason. But it's not the purest form of expression a game should be able to give you.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but how many people really enjoy the purest form of cinema?
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure cinema isn't a big deal at all. It's just "show, don't tell." A pure game just has to express itself through play above all else.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't know if I agree with that, dark steve. 'Pure Cinema' is a very specific term that covers a lot of stuff that I can't really sit through too many times. I mean I'm glad it's out there making the point, fighting the fight, but it's just one type of expression of which the medium is capable.
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
"show, don't tell."

That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but I think I was too muddy about it! Thank you.
macdonaldez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what everyone's opinion of it is, but i have to say that i'm enjoying Warrior Within quite a lot at the moment (yes, i realise that in some circles, i would now be considered to be not only a heretic, but also a loser, and a motherfucker), and maybe it's only me, but i also quite enjoy the cutscenes, as they help demonstrate the prince's thoughts, crassly teen-edgy and brooding though he may be. I haven't made much progress so far, but they definitely intrigued me, and increased my enjoyment of the platforming and fighting. Without those cutscenes, i it would be still an enjoyable game to me, but i think they frame the action nicely.

Heretic?
Loser?
Motherfucker?
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Dracko wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

I suppose our definitions of 'the cool kids' differ, then. Basically, outside of the collective unconscious of places like the GameFAQs or IGN Boards, I'm seeing this dramatic change in attitude towards recent Square titles in general, and Final Fantasy VII in particular. While I can agree with the questionable quality of the later releases, the backlash against Final Fantasy VII absolutely baffles me. Wasn't this the game that almost a decade ago lauded as one of the greatest titles ever made? An extremely subjective option, to be sure, but the fact is that within the past, oh, say three years or so, there's been an almost violent shift in opinion towards the title. If one didn't know any better, one would have to assume the game was greeted with such vitriol immediately upon release.
And that I suppose I could understand. If it was truly a lousy game, it would have been cursed as such from the get-go. I just have a hard time understanding the shift in opinion. Have the critics just become more vocal?

But it is a truly lousy game. It's truly nauseatingly horrible, and I can't say the way the fanbase adulates is liable to make me feel any better about it. (And just so that theory doesn't spring up, because I don't see you basing it on anything solid, I've always disliked the game, and as you can probably guess, all the people, online or I meet daily, who cry about Aerith, think Sephiroth is cool or just think it's the best game ever made because in between the chore of it all, you have pretty (ugly) cutscenes, made me more vitriolic about it)

People say it's great because it flows well. Retort: No, it doesn't. I don't consider wandering around a map and randomly getting jarred out of its disproportionate style flowing. I don't consider having my poor low res graphics interrupted by flashy lights and anime eyelids flowing. And just because it takes no challenge at all to get through doesn't make it a flowing experience. It makes it a bigger waste of time than the jRPG genre typically is. What's the point of going through fights which by all rights should be over in seconds, over and over and over again, with not the slightest change of pace, only so a plot I've seen in every 80s action anime ever can develop at a snail's pace?

I have no sympathy for these characters at all, because they're cardboard cut-outs. The humour is non-existent and the only way you could justify gameplay is with the half-assed mini-games.

And there's no role-playing to be had either. There's no character development in any way that makes it gratifying for the player. The entire series, as well as any other jRPG ever made, plays like a broken, rusted carnival ride, where drunken German punks sometimes toss bottles at your head and insipid muzak about love, sex and everything in between gets played. It's also as equally insightful. Further evidence of this? Advent Children. Why even bother with the game when you can get the exact same level of poor story-telling in less than 30+ hours, with all the flash and bang the game is known for, yet never achieved?

So yes, maybe I am indeed annoyed with the entire genre itself, as was pointed out. But hey, as FF7 is the most emblematic example of it, it's only appropriate. Just because something was praised in the past doesn't mean it was up to the hype.

(Besides, Rufus was the only character worth a damn.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: