The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*christina*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: The Ship Reply with quote

Has anyone downloaded this yet?
http://www.theshiponline.com/about-the-game.php

If so tell me all about it. I doubt I will be able to play it for some time as Wes is working on top secret materials that necessitate my absence from the computer. We did a live version of this at my dorm in college (without the use of actual weapons) and it was amazingly fun. This version looks a bit like The Sims with stalking and murder as the appeal rather than home decorating. What more could a girl hope for?

~Christina
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura Bow Online!
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got a pretty steep learning curve, I think. Which basically means I'm wandering around, then I figure out how to pick up an axe, then I swing the axe, but the ship's security sees me do it, so I'm suddenly in the brig, and I've got no idea how to get out again. But in the brig I can eat and sleep and use the toilet and shower, and suddenly I have meters for all these things. God knows why. Eventually I quit because the Ship has become a hygenic incarceration sim for me.

So if I had a group of a dozen TGQ/ICers to figure this out with, it could be really fun. But otherwise I don't see it being worth the effort.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this.

I've had a very similar experience and have yet to kill anyone.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! So we just need about 8 more people then it's TGQGC time!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey, so is this available now?

i remember watching the trailer. is this the game where you stalk people and kill them (on a ship)?

if i can get it to run, i'm down!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'd have a problem; it's not very intensive.

What are people's steam IDs, by the way?
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am really interested in checking out this game. If anybody else has any experiences to share, I'd be very interested to hear them.

(My steamID is my TGQ username, but using the email is better - tim@timtekindustries.com)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
What are people's steam IDs, by the way?

My Steam username - and get notepad open, because you might want to write this down - is purplechair.

The closest I've come to killing someone is when I tracked down my mark in the storage bay place and whacked her in the back with a lead pipe. She threw something flamesome at me - a molotov, or an oil lamp, or something - and then I got arrested. There was the courtroom screen, where it lists your crimes and the length of your imprisonment (about 19 seconds for assault and possession of a blunt weapon in my case), and then I spawned in the brig and was still on fire. I was consumed by the flames about two seconds later.
SJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Eventually I quit because the Ship has become a hygenic incarceration sim for me.

Why does this quote make me more, rather than less, interested in the game?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to the original Half-Life mod?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished downloading this last night - played it for about two hours this morning and enjoyed it thoroughly. The mechanics take a little bit to get used to, and I get a strong sense that most of the game is in knowing the maps, but I had a great time bursting into my quarry's cabin and planting an axe in her head, and luring my hunter into the kitchen so I could bean him with a frying pan (mega bonus kill points!11!!~).

It's got a weird paranoia to it, because there's only two people you'd ever consider killing - so a lot of the time when you see another person you do this funny little dance until you're sure they're not the person you want, and that they're not trying to kill you. And even then you can't be sure, as I discovered when someone I thought was harmless syringed me in the back of the neck.

It smacks of great LAN fun, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't the only one having problems: I just loaded up STEAM to see "The Ship Tutorial" ready for download.

Probably won't get to it tonight but it's got my interest again at least.

In other STEAM news: Defcon preloaded, $10. Which is a pretty good deal I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: