The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who developed Lost Magic on the DS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Who developed Lost Magic on the DS? Reply with quote

I was told that Taito only published it in Japan, and that someone else actually developed it. Is this true? I've been doing an internet search, and could only find Taito listed as developer.

Thoughts, ideas, clues?

Cheers for any help Smile
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!

I don't know.

I don't think shaper does either.

We talked about it though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! It was actually monsieur Shapes that told me of this interesting fact. Smile

I'm writing an article on it, which is why I asked. I would be eternally greatfull for further info!
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah? I look forward to that; that game has a lot of interesting things going on.

I've got no info though!
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was developed by Taito and published by Ubisoft. Studio Ghibli did much of the art. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Taito and Ubisoft also had this setup for Over G Fighters for the Xbox 360 and Exit for the PSP. Probably other stuff too. Odd considering the Squenix connection.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It was developed by Taito and published by Ubisoft. Studio Ghibli did much of the art. Beyond that I'm not sure.

This is not true. This is just what you think living in the US. Taito was the Japanese publisher. Much like Taito was the Japanese publisher of Ibara, but Cave was the developer.

I will do a little research on this.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to hand this in on Friday, so if you could find out who it was by then, that would be amazingly fantastic.

For the record, it's not for TGQ, but I am quoting Matt Williamson, editor-in-chief of The Gamer's Quarter, so it kind of balances out nicely in the end, and there'll be some hot linkage going on hopefully.

(wow, I'm technically interviewing one of my bosses by doing this - awesome).

If you can't find out, no worries, I'll edit that bit out, and just quote you on the first section.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok after a TON of searching and even calling in some Japanese strong arms for translating, I am pretty sure that I was misinformed about the developer not being Taito.

I did get to the point that I found the producer (井上, Osamu Inoue) was the same as Magic Pengel, which was internally developed by Garakuda-Studio of Taito. This was a similar situation which was released by Agetec in the US, and mostly Taito is credited as the Developer, but again, it was this smaller studio. This crap is stupidly hard to track down.

Funny note: one of the credits in the GameFaqs FAQ for Lost Magic is: "And Ubi-Soft, for making the game"

Hell, I even tried to track down the forum or location in which I was told this information, no luck. I can't even find the credits for the game proper.

Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we even be sure this is a Japanese video game?
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkes wrote:
can we even be sure this is a Japanese video game?

: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tose?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok after a TON of searching and even calling in some Japanese strong arms for translating, I am pretty sure that I was misinformed about the developer not being Taito.
I did get to the point that I found the producer (井上, Osamu Inoue) was the same as Magic Pengel, which was internally developed by Garakuda-Studio of Taito. This was a similar situation which was released by Agetec in the US, and mostly Taito is credited as the Developer, but again, it was this smaller studio. This crap is stupidly hard to track down.
Funny note: one of the credits in the GameFaqs FAQ for Lost Magic is: "And Ubi-Soft, for making the game"
Hell, I even tried to track down the forum or location in which I was told this information, no luck. I can't even find the credits for the game proper.

Don't worry about it, boss. I actually feel a bit guilty for putting that kind of pressure on you, it was wrong of me. I came to you requesting an opinion, and in the end I was having you do lengthy research. Humblest apologies.

Don't worry, the quote I have right now is fine; but damn, you're right! This crap is stupidly tough to track down - and I feel that's wrong. Knowing who makes our games is incredibly important. It baffles as to why publishers seem to try so hard to stop people knowing who is behind such creative output. A bit sad really - like you also said, very different to other mediums!

dark steve wrote:
Tose?

HOHO! Laughing

I do declare that to be the wittiest retort of the season. Sharp, short, and well said. I genuinely laughed; also, bonus points for making it so cliquey and geeky - a gag that only the nerdiest of gamers could understand. I love it! Cool

Now, I must be off for some boiled egg and a prune juice.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio Ghibli didn't work on it at all. It was just one guy that happens to work there.

...and now, after spending a few hours reading through sources, I still can't figure out who the guy was. I'm probably reading through the wrong sources though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
...and now, after spending a few hours reading through sources, I still can't figure out who the guy was. I'm probably reading through the wrong sources though.

I think it was someone named Sato. And he just did the character designs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: