The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gamers quarter ideas!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nICO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: gamers quarter ideas! Reply with quote

I don't think there's a dedicated thread for non-staffers to suggest and discuss ideas for our favorite quarterly magazine.

So here one is!

And here's a thought!

What do you think about making an HTML duplication of the PDF pages a la Escapist? The reason I suggest this is that it makes referencing, accessing, and recommending specific articles much simpler. I understand a problem might be that a bunch of work is put into the PDF layout and that having a PDF helps distinguish the mag, but I propose that having each page discretely accessible on the web as well would be a great addition and greatly improve readership and enjoyment.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the primary problem with your suggestion is bandwidth.

not to crush your dreams.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, bandwidth is our public enemy no. 1 here. I'd suggest setting up a page for donations from readers or something, but I don't know how well Shaper would go for that.
nICO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Without making much money off of mag sales and ads it would probably be too expensive to host each page online as is.

However. I'm curious now, so I want to reason through this myself.

What about taking out the images and just having text like most other web sites? Except for the comic, of course...

I'm not privy to GQ data, but to generalize, Yahoo's hosting plan now has I think 500GB data transfer a month for $40 or 200GB for only $10. A 2000 word web page is what, 12KB or so? Plus the GQ image which would be another 10KB? So each article averages about 25KB? Say it is read a million times. Would that be 25GB? Correct my mental math if I'm wrong... Now say those million read all, oh, 15 articles. That's just 375GB. Of course, then there's the rest of the site and the PDF downloads...

But you also have to figure that having it online might cut down on expensive PDF downloads. 500 or so KB per issue online is almost 15 times cheaper than 7MB(!) for every PDF downloaded.
nICO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as cutting costs/raising funds, there's bound to be some creative (or simply different) ideas.

One way I guess is to embrace torrents. You might have less ability to track downloads, but I'm sure there are crude workarounds to get an estimate. The torrent would be free, of course, and you can ask for a donation of at least 10 or 25 cents for a direct download.

Or if you don't want to do that specifically, I don't see much wrong with asking for donations. I mean, I wouldn't have a request on the front page or anything, just when you go to download an issue, a page will come up asking for a donation of a dollar per issue if you like what you read with an explanation of bandwidth cost. If just ten people do that, then you have a couple hundred GB bandwith paid for.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but the reasoning behind TGQ being in the formats it currently is could also have something to do with the authorial intent as well.

Maybe TGQ was intended to be a comprehensive package--images, comics, and text--and PDF was the best means of delivering that vision online and in consistent format that looks the same on each computer that's downloaded. People could strip images out of an HTML version to make it load faster, and web browsers could rearrange and even mangle the text, but PDF ensures that the Gamer's Quarter as envisioned by Shaper and co. provides the same vision to the readers.

Just idle speculation, mind you.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.
It comes from my reaction to this issue of GQ. Issue 5 I thought was great. I really thought it was spectacular. But 6, not so much, because it seemed to be less about games and more about concepts of gaming. I read the articles about games (such as dessgeegas articles about Shiren), and I like Faithless' one about Sega, but some of the others I was not so enthusiastic about. Is this a diretion you staffer guys have taken with the mag, or is it just a one time sort of thing?
xvs07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's absolutely possible that your speculation is correct, GSL, but I don't expect that to be the case. The purpose in publishing anything is to get it to the public. To my mind, periodicals need to make it to market faster than any other readable to be of popular interest or consequence, hence it would make no sense to limit oneself to only a couple distribution models in the name of Art. I sez accept donations (maybe even submit to some less-obtrusive text ads on the front page) and keep diversifying distribution until the whole world knows about TGQ. Providing the PDF and/or a lo-tech text-only copy through a subscribable mailing list would be my pick of first steps; it's free and easy to set up with any number of places; Yahoo and Google both have stuff like that. Once people see what TGQ has to offer, five bucks plus shipping for a full-colour copy for their shelf is going to seem real cheap. Actual text on the site can wait until finances are looking healthy enough to support it.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are all really good ideas but it comes down to what The Boss (Shaper) wants to do. I think he's more concerned with keeping a unified image of the magazine across formats, so the PDF and hard copies are the way to go. If we did text only online version and such then we'd have some people just reading one version over another, which isn't bad in and of itself but those of us closest to the process the time and amount of work put into each issue demands that we want as many people as possible to see the entirety of the fruits of our labor. However at the same time we still see continued demands for alternative methods of distribution so I definitely think it is something we (most notably Shaper) should look into.

Toto wrote:
I have a question.
It comes from my reaction to this issue of GQ. Issue 5 I thought was great. I really thought it was spectacular. But 6, not so much, because it seemed to be less about games and more about concepts of gaming. I read the articles about games (such as dessgeegas articles about Shiren), and I like Faithless' one about Sega, but some of the others I was not so enthusiastic about. Is this a diretion you staffer guys have taken with the mag, or is it just a one time sort of thing?

It's all a constant work in progress around here. Things are always in flux, so depending on the staffers and the kinds of contributions we get each issue it is always different each quarter as we go along. Some take the more conceptual route and some don't, simple as that. Myself, I find the conceptual side of gaming most intriguing. We're at that point in the medium and have been at that point for a while now where it's time to start taking stock and asking questions about what goes on with gaming under the surface, finding out why things work the way they do and offer up ideas for what could be done to make improvements. Not that there isn't any room for straight up coverage, but we tend to try to reserve that for the games that wouldn't get coverage via other outlets.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Yeah, the topic of HTMLized TGQ comes up often 'round here, and I have a feeling Shaper and I have a similar mindset about it. Contrary to popular belief, the reason TGQ doesn't do a text-only version has nothing to do with bandwidth and has everything to do with resources. Our top priority is to put together the pdf version. It's a pdf because we want TGQ to emulate the reading of a book as much as possible, not only for authorial intent (that does play a large part in it), but also because it's what we send to the printers to get our books made.

The final goal is these books, and that's why we've been doing the magazine the way it's done. That said, I don't think anyone has any real problems with also distributing it through an HTML Escapist style, except for the fact that it would be a whole lot of work, probably just as much work as putting together the magazine itself, and it's just not very much fun work.

So yeah, if anyone knows a shortcut to automatically formatting an illustrator file in clean, nice-looking html, let me know. It might be a fun experiment.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done it myself so I can't attest to the quality, but you can get PDF to HTML converters online. A google search revealed a free one on Adobe's web site. Again, not sure how well these things work...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I am not too needed here, but I might as well chip in my opinion too.

nICO wrote:
HTML

Wes summed up most of it. Bandwidth is only an issue if people start to steal images. At one point bandwidth was an issue, but I have upgraded the package since then. The real items are authorial intent and also that the magazine is what we envisioned in people's hands, and the statement that is trying to be made. HTML allows for too much user mucking around. Text only loses impact. Were I ever going to get to a point like this it would probably be something closer to an image file per page, but then you get people who have these ridiculous resolutions that will complain about it.

Pretty much this is the format that we wanted to go with, and it lends itself best for printing. When we were having problems in the beginning with getting the magazines printed we stuck with our guns and finally got it done, where we could have turned in the other direction and gone with HTML or some other kind of web page. We are persistent bastards here! Hopefully we turn out stronger for it.

Toto wrote:
I have a question.

As Mr. Mech said: The magazine takes a flow all of its own. I have control over what gets in, but I don't want to limit what is written both by staff and by submitters. I do prefer the "game" over "game concept" articles myself, but I do encourage both. Keep reading, as this is not an overarching indication of the direction of the magazine. Also, when you get your print copy and start to read some of the longer articles I hope that you enjoy those as well.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GilloD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Well, it looks like I am not too needed here, but I might as well chip in my opinion too.

nICO wrote:
HTML

Wes summed up most of it. Bandwidth is only an issue if people start to steal images. At one point bandwidth was an issue, but I have upgraded the package since then. The real items are authorial intent and also that the magazine is what we envisioned in people's hands, and the statement that is trying to be made. HTML allows for too much user mucking around. Text only loses impact. Were I ever going to get to a point like this it would probably be something closer to an image file per page, but then you get people who have these ridiculous resolutions that will complain about it.

Pretty much this is the format that we wanted to go with, and it lends itself best for printing. When we were having problems in the beginning with getting the magazines printed we stuck with our guns and finally got it done, where we could have turned in the other direction and gone with HTML or some other kind of web page. We are persistent bastards here! Hopefully we turn out stronger for it.

Toto wrote:
I have a question.

As Mr. Mech said: The magazine takes a flow all of its own. I have control over what gets in, but I don't want to limit what is written both by staff and by submitters. I do prefer the "game" over "game concept" articles myself, but I do encourage both. Keep reading, as this is not an overarching indication of the direction of the magazine. Also, when you get your print copy and start to read some of the longer articles I hope that you enjoy those as well.

I'm gonna throw in here:

As someone who does loads and loads of research, I think you need to understand that a "Text-Only" edition is less about being the lazy-man's TGQ and more about being a helpful resource for the rest of the world. I think 90% of the readership likes the PDF format and they should. It looks great. But for the researchers and archivists among us, a text-only resource would be awesome. Save it as .txt and make it available somewhere.

Hell, here's an idea: Take all the text and make it "member" only. That way if I'm Joe EGM and I wanna come in and find everything TGQ ever wrote about Lufia, I can do that as long as applied and get a username/password/whatever. Everyone else, NintendoFanbouy667473474 et. al., can stick to the PDF.

I really don't think there's a danger in losing readership to a text only edition, nor do I think it would become the preferred way for readers to, uh, read the mag. I feel like one of the things TGQ is best known for is it's rockin' presentation. I don't think there's any harm in making the content available "academically".
nICO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's kinda what I mean too, just in case my intent was misinterpreted. Though I'm more for discrete online access (without the page just being an image) than a stand-alone text document, though not to ignore the potential value of a txt document...

I love the PDF and think the book is the best way to go. I'm just saying there are many times when I want to have someone read an article and it might be too much of a hassle to download, open and browse a PDF document (I mean, it's not of course, but if someone doesn't really want to read it and is just doing it because I asked them to...). Or, for that matter, if I just want to read an article myself when I'm not on my laptop at home and don't feel like downloading the PDF yet again.

But I understand it would be more work if anything more than a simple text page is done. Perhaps someone new wants to volunteer? I'm way too busy now myself.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a 100+ page book and creating a non-shitty HTML version of its contents is a pretty big task. I know this because both sides of this transfer are, you know, my job every day.

Setting up a TGQ website with templates for articles could certainly be done, and then each subsequent issue could be translated as such. But I don't think this is Shaper's vision.

(He's like fucking George Lucas, man! Get us out of here! Call the cops!)
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different idea than this idea!

Shapes, what do you think the feasibility of a special issue with a pack-in CD would be?
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should turn the magazine into a weekly.

I fucking dare you.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Steve, we considered a coverdisc for issue 2, since I wrote a damn game for it. But then we didn't end up even publishing issue 2 on paper, so I guess the moral is that coverdiscs kill babies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it'd be a good theme. The FREE GAMES issue. David drawing a faux soviet propaganda cover with servbots.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna get some prices for shits and giggles, but i'm thinking somewhere around 90 cents per cd up to 200. with black thermal printing on it.

what would go on this fabulous cd?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeware, maybe with an emphasis on weirder stuff like homebrew GBA games or some such. Interactive Fiction. Insert credit IF contest 1.1 entries (watch that space). Shits and giggles freebies like TGQ wallpaper. A dessgeega superplay/demo reel video. Other stuff, I bet.

Of course, someone would need to do the rounds what with editing and securing permission for distribution. Which, I might volunteer for. Maybe. Possibly. The trouble being that in terms of windows software, I'm pretty much helpless and would probably need someone to do it with me. I guess an alternative idea would be to focus on stuff that's multiplatform (java/flash games, homebrew that runs nice in an emulator, stuff with at least binaries for both windows and OSX), although that sounds like it would be even more work.

Something to think about, though. Hmm.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, we were originally going to include Seiklus with the Toups interview on the disc for issue two, but that completly fell through. We were also going to include a high-res version of the magazine on the CD which would be like 50+mb to put online and doesn't load as fast. As it is things are still just on the verge of breaking even so spending more money is kind of hard, and we would have to increase the price per issue. But yes, at one point a CD was totally planned.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: We should totally start a podcast.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
As it is things are still just on the verge of breaking even so spending more money is kind of hard, and we would have to increase the price per issue.

... he types from his yacht.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
As it is things are still just on the verge of breaking even so spending more money is kind of hard, and we would have to increase the price per issue.

... he types from his yacht.

It's a schooner damnit.

GSL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Haha, you dumb bastard. It's a sailboat."
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A schooner is a sailboat, dummy-head."

xvs07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade: I'm uncertain, but I may have found a way to preserve the look and feel of the articles while granting them the opportunity to appear in Google searches. This application apparently does a decent job of converting Illustrator files to XAML, which looks to be up to the task.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do a GQ podcast.
It is has infinite potential.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does someone want to let the cat out of the bag? Dhex maybe? Someone?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. DETAILS TO FOLLOW. ~ god
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneak preview?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Sneak preview?
That makes me wish I could have a barbershop quartet follow me around and sing songs about everything I do. I know I'd get sick of them eventually, but it'd be awesome for a day. Well, maybe half a day. I guess half an hour, really. But still.
I'm going to listen to the podcast tonight! I'm looking forward to it.

In terms of ideas for the magazine, though - have you guys ever considered offering subscriptions? I prefer reading a hard copy of something when I have the opportunity, and it'd be kind of cool to have TGQ show up at my door without having to lift a finger. I'd wager I'm not the only one who thinks so.
On the other hand, I can see how offering subscriptions might entrain a certain commitment, so I'd understand reluctance at the idea.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
In terms of ideas for the magazine, though - have you guys ever considered offering subscriptions? I prefer reading a hard copy of something when I have the opportunity, and it'd be kind of cool to have TGQ show up at my door without having to lift a finger. I'd wager I'm not the only one who thinks so.
On the other hand, I can see how offering subscriptions might entrain a certain commitment, so I'd understand reluctance at the idea.

We've kinda, sorta talked about it a little tiny bit. That is in no way indicative that we're going to offer them now or at any point in the future, but if we did offer subscriptions, what would entice you to subscribe? What would you want out of a subscription? Would it will be appealing if we offered subscriptions, but didn't really price anything lower than standard pricing? What if we just promised to throw in random extra crap whenever we could?

I guess I'm just wondering what everyone would see as the benefit of offering subscriptions, beyond the obvious "less hassle every quarter" thing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would subscribe if you offered a year's subscription at the same price as four individual issues.

Bonus surpriZe swag would cause me to squee repeatedly and spout about TGQ to anyone who will listen.

Never, ever underestimate the appeal of "less hassle", nor, conversely, More Slack.

Edit: If I asked really nicely is there some way I could reserve a copy each of all issues from #5 onward? I just don't have the scratch right now, but I ought to in a few months, and I want to keep my collection complete.
GilloD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Six wrote:

We've kinda, sorta talked about it a little tiny bit. That is in no way indicative that we're going to offer them now or at any point in the future, but if we did offer subscriptions, what would entice you to subscribe? What would you want out of a subscription? Would it will be appealing if we offered subscriptions, but didn't really price anything lower than standard pricing? What if we just promised to throw in random extra crap whenever we could?

I guess I'm just wondering what everyone would see as the benefit of offering subscriptions, beyond the obvious "less hassle every quarter" thing.

-Wes

I think you hit the nail on the head. TGQ doesn't quite have a "reliable" publishing schedule other than "Oh, every quarter". Having it just show up would be way worth the price. Of course, stickers or bookmarks, maybe a special cover? Dunno.

Hey- We should make t-shirts.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that international shipping doubles the price of an issue, I'd like to be able to reserve my copies and get them delivered annually. For less postage, see?
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podcasts on CD with subscribed copies? Shipping charges reduced or negated for subscriptions? That one'd probably go a long way for me. Not having to think about the whole "preorder and it'll be out in 2 months thing" would be nice.

Something I think TGQ could do in general would be have a set date for releases, so you could say in each issue "Next issue available September 15th" or "Hard copies ship August 3rd" or something like that, even if it means pushing releases back a couple days for certainty's sake, it might mean something tangible for a non-forumite to be reminded each time he looks at the last issue exactly when he can get the next one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: